Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
Schmo
Frequent Poster

I guess the easiest thing to do is look up the lady and see if she still stands by her story all these years later.
Apparently some people are willing to believe it is possible to engineer a massive conspiracy without a single person breaking their silence.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
themaninblack
Forum Regular

Well to my knowledge no one has heard from Betty Thompson since the show. I tried to look her up but met with no success.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Spark Of Spirit
Forum Regular

It's not a mass conspiracy if several people spoke up about it. Frontera being a mess is not exactly shocking news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
There's an article snippet shown during the segment that mentions other officers at Frontera, not just Betty Thompson, coming forward to reveal the curruption going on with the higher ups and drug trafficking at that prison.

I fully believe everything Betty said.
Same here, I just don't see any reason to believe she's lying.

Then there's that business that happened to Terri Lucas. That's pretty suspicious no matter what angle you come at it, in my opinion.
A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.
― G.K. Chesterton
Spark Of Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think it's possible that Betty Thompson may have embellished a few details here and there to make Frontera's staff look even worse than it was but overall I believe she was telling the truth. I don't know what to think about Terri Lucas, though.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Schmo
Frequent Poster

The lack of information on the Internet about whatever was happening at Frontera prison and any deaths connected to it suggests that the news media at the time didn't think it required extensive reporting. Let me say here that prison corruption is as unexpected as the sun coming up the following day, but if there were murders involved, that would be more newsworthy.
A lot of people here "believe" Betty Thompson. That is, you have faith in what you said. That is what shows likeUnsolved Mysteries often depend on.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #21
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo
The lack of information on the Internet about whatever was happening at Frontera prison and any deaths connected to it suggests that the news media at the time didn't think it required extensive reporting. Let me say here that prison corruption is as unexpected as the sun coming up the following day, but if there were murders involved, that would be more newsworthy.
A lot of people here "believe" Betty Thompson. That is, you have faith in what you said. That is what shows likeUnsolved Mysteries often depend on.
No, shows like Unsolved Mysteries are trying to validate the claims of the victims of these events. Betty Thompson had nothing to gain from coming forward. After all, at that point she had no job and might have been afraid of what could become of the situation. Also, perhaps she was trying to help solve the murder of Jesslyn Rich by bringing forth the info she learned.

Quite simple. Not everything is a full blown lie, and UM often did massive background work on their more serious cases.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageSlowdive
Quite simple. Not everything is a full blown lie, and UM often did massive background work on their more serious cases.
Exactly. UM wouldn't waste the time and money to go fly out to a town, hire actors, film reeanctment scenes, set up interviews, etc. if they believed that the story was bogus or could have been bogus. I remember reading other cases that UM wouldn't do stories on (some of which were perfect for UM) because they got flooded with so many of them, they had to pick the best ones or most believable.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #23
Hambone2421

So, was Jesslyn Rich's killer ever identified?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-...ice-department

The police consider the case closed, and the guy they suspect to have killed her died in 1990.

And it had nothing to do with the prison.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
LilMissKryssy
" & every sinner has a future"
Forum Regular

I fully do believe Bettys account of the corruption at Frontera. However, it is totally possible Rich's murder had nothing to do with it.

However, I'm very confused. I read the article and it said police believe she left the bar willingly with the suspect. So, what about her friends account of her excusing herself just to use to ladies room and just never returning? Rich seemed like a responsible and accountable person not someone who on a whim or impulse would willingly ditch her friends to go to some random guys apartment. How did her friends not see her come out of the restroom and leave with the suspect? So, police believe she willingly left the bar out some backdoor with maybe an acquaintance at best (if she had previously met him at the bar on occasion) or a stranger at worst? It really doesn't make sense. I don't understand given her friends account how they could believe she left willingly unless police came to believe her friends lied about the last time they saw her (which why would they?).
Old 06-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #26
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
However, I'm very confused. I read the article and it said police believe she left the bar willingly with the suspect. So, what about her friends account of her excusing herself just to use to ladies room and just never returning? Rich seemed like a responsible and accountable person not someone who on a whim or impulse would willingly ditch her friends to go to some random guys apartment. How did her friends not see her come out of the restroom and leave with the suspect? So, police believe she willingly left the bar out some backdoor with maybe an acquaintance at best (if she had previously met him at the bar on occasion) or a stranger at worst? It really doesn't make sense. I don't understand given her friends account how they could believe she left willingly unless police came to believe her friends lied about the last time they saw her (which why would they?).

I agree. That's partly why I figured something at work possibly tied into her disappearance and murder.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #27
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Well, it just makes me question how police came to their conclusions. This "suspect" could very well be her murderer but their scenario that she left willingly with him contradicts her friends account entirely and Richs personality doesn't seem someone who would just "sneak out a backdoor with a random guy and ditch her friends." Not one account says Rich was intoxicated either (not that that would entirely explain it either).

If police conclude that she left willingly, then it just makes me question their other conclusion. Its so odd they wont release any information at all about the weapon, exactly what lead them to believe it was this suspect, or why/how she would leave with him willingly. There have been plenty of suspects that have died and years after their death police do release their name. They must have incredibly flimsy evidence maybe even so much that if he was alive a DA wouldn't bring charges. Like I said, I'm not saying this guy didn't do it, he very well could have, I just don't like a case closed like this without any real explanation and the one they did say "left willingly" doesn't fit to me.
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Actually I take that all back. I just read and found an article from 1985 on the case. Looks like UM used the friends account only and didn't elaborate like this article did. Okay nevermind guys! lol

Mystery: What Happened to Jesslyn Rich?

June 24, 1985|LIZ MULLEN

Her family and friends think there is only a very slim chance that Jesslyn Rich is alive. And they don't know if they will ever find out what happened to her.

Rich, a 35-year-old prison guard, disappeared from Charlie's Wild West bar in Orange on Nov. 11, 1984. Her new sports car was found locked in the parking lot. Her credit cards and bank book, which disappeared with her, have not been used.

Except for a key chain imprinted with the address of her bank, which was dropped in a mailbox near the bar, Rich disappeared without a trace.

Orange Police Detective Bob Taylor said he and two other detectives have spent "hundreds of hours" investigating her disappearance. The file still is open, he said, but the case has been dormant for months.

Detective's Conjectures

Taylor said he doesn't know what happened. Perhaps, he said, "she walked outside and just decided, 'I'm not going home.' We stay away from suggesting there was foul play."

Rich's family and friends say they believe she was abducted, and probably killed. They say the police didn't question witnesses thoroughly, and didn't follow leads. Rich's brother, Gary Munz, said the police account of the disappearance itself is wrong.

Rich and her daughters, ages 11 and 14, lived in a house she owned in Riverside. Her supervisor said Rich had an excellent work record at the California Institute for Women at Frontera, where she had been a guard for two years. She was getting an A in her law enforcement class at Chaffey College, and hoped to be promoted to sergeant at the prison.

"She was making better money than she ever did before," Munz said. "I'm not saying that everything was peachy. There were some tough people (at the prison). But she was happy that she had a job that was a career, that she had a chance of promotion."

After her divorce seven years ago, "there were times when it was a struggle" for Rich to support her family, Munz said. But her job at the prison changed things.

"She was getting her house paid off. She bought her kids new clothes, two beach cruiser bikes," Munz said. "She was taking classes at Chaffey College. She was up for a grand jury selection. She was excited about it, she wanted to take her place in society."

John McGee, Rich's law enforcement professor at Chaffey College, described her as a "fantastic student" who received A's on all her work. "She never missed a class, she was never late," he said. "She simply would not walk away from those kids."

'A Very Stable Employee'

Lt. Vale Smith, her supervisor at the prison, said Rich was "a very stable employee. She was a very positive worker, well liked by co-workers, well liked by inmates."

Rich disappeared the Sunday night of Veterans Day weekend. One problem with the case, Taylor said, was that Rich's mother called the Riverside Sheriff's Department, which turned the case over to Orange police on Thursday. "We were behind four days at the beginning."

It was difficult to find witnesses who had been at the bar that night, and memories a few days later were no longer fresh, Taylor said.

Stories about how and when Rich left the bar differed, he said. The story police believe, he said, came from a waitress. "We're going by what we consider to be the best witness," he said. "In a bar situation, time passes, people are talking, drinking. A barmaid knows what's going on, who's sitting where."

Waitress's Account

The waitress told police Rich left the bar through the front door, carrying her purse, at about 9:30 that night, Taylor said.

But Rich's brother says he doesn't believe that account. "What are they (the police) telling me? That there's just one person (who was in the bar) who's not an idiot who just happened to say nothing's wrong, that she walked out on her own free will."

Six or seven people told Munz his sister went out the back door, he said. Three people said Rich's purse was in the booth about 30 minutes after she disappeared, and then the purse was gone, he said.

"How does she come back in the bar and pick it up, when they're all looking for her?" Munz said. "She doesn't."

Marilyn Ault, Rich's friend since high school, was with her that night. At about 8:30 p.m., Ault said, Rich walked toward the restroom at the back of the bar. When Rich didn't return in half an hour, Ault said, she began looking for her.

Ault says she saw Rich's purse on a chair just after she disappeared. "I know I saw the purse sitting there, and then it was gone."

It was then that another woman at the bar told Ault she had seen a woman lying in the back seat of a car parked behind the bar, Ault said. The woman also told her that the man who owned the car said Rich "would be taken care of," Ault said. Ault assumed Rich, who had been talking to the man earlier, had left with him.

Taylor said he couldn't comment on that story because it was still being investigated.

Mother Urges Publicity

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-06-..._1_george-rich
LilMissKryssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissKryssy
It was difficult to find witnesses who had been at the bar that night, and memories a few days later were no longer fresh, Taylor said.

Stories about how and when Rich left the bar differed, he said. The story police believe, he said, came from a waitress. "We're going by what we consider to be the best witness," he said. "In a bar situation, time passes, people are talking, drinking. A barmaid knows what's going on, who's sitting where."

Waitress's Account

The waitress told police Rich left the bar through the front door, carrying her purse, at about 9:30 that night, Taylor said.

But Rich's brother says he doesn't believe that account. "What are they (the police) telling me? That there's just one person (who was in the bar) who's not an idiot who just happened to say nothing's wrong, that she walked out on her own free will."

Six or seven people told Munz his sister went out the back door, he said. Three people said Rich's purse was in the booth about 30 minutes after she disappeared, and then the purse was gone, he said.

"How does she come back in the bar and pick it up, when they're all looking for her?" Munz said. "She doesn't."

Marilyn Ault, Rich's friend since high school, was with her that night. At about 8:30 p.m., Ault said, Rich walked toward the restroom at the back of the bar. When Rich didn't return in half an hour, Ault said, she began looking for her.

Ault says she saw Rich's purse on a chair just after she disappeared. "I know I saw the purse sitting there, and then it was gone."

It was then that another woman at the bar told Ault she had seen a woman lying in the back seat of a car parked behind the bar, Ault said. The woman also told her that the man who owned the car said Rich "would be taken care of," Ault said. Ault assumed Rich, who had been talking to the man earlier, had left with him.

Taylor said he couldn't comment on that story because it was still being investigated.

Mother Urges Publicity

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-06-..._1_george-rich
Well, this is definitely interesting. Seems like this should have been mentioned during the UM broadcast.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #30
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

We have to remember that there is a very real possibility that Jesslyn's friend may have been intoxicated at the time she was witnessing these things. Even if she wasn't, it wouldn't be uncommon for her to misremember certain details about that evening (such as the purse).

The man whom police believe to be responsible confessed to family members shortly before he died. He also worked at the bar she was last seen alive at. I'm assuming there was a prior connection between Jesslyn and this man, because the police interviewed him twice shortly after Jesslyn disappeared.

The big kicker is that the friend saw Jesslyn talking to this guy prior to her disappearing and when she couldn't find Jesslyn she says that she just "assumed" she went home with him. Doesn't seem to me like Jesslyn was deathly afraid of this guy (like it was implied in the UM segment).