Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
themaninblack
Forum Regular

Default The Killer of Jesslyn Rich

There is an article from SB County in CA that mentions a man named David Ribis or Ribus. He is said to have killed Jesslyn Rich. He died of a heart attack about a year after the murder. I certainly would not want to be him!
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
stack 3:16
Occasional Poster

Yeah being a dead Man must suck...
stack 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack
There is an article from SB County in CA that mentions a man named David Ribis or Ribus. He is said to have killed Jesslyn Rich. He died of a heart attack about a year after the murder. I certainly would not want to be him!
Could you post the link to the article? I can't find it.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I for one think it's a 50/50 chance that Jesslyn's murder had nothing to do with the Frontera scandal. I think she may have had a jealous ex-boyfriend or crazed stalker who killed her. The way she reacted to the man she saw at the bar shortly before she disappeared made me think it wasn't someone from the prison or else she would have made a remark to her friend about it.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
themaninblack
Forum Regular

Unfortunately there is no link available to this article. I have never actually seen it but I have been told that it exists.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
unsolved243
Frequent Poster

I think this is the article that you are talking about:
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-07-...ice-department
Cars, it seems you were on the right track, the alleged killer worked at the bar where Jesslyn vanished from.
unsolved243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
WishfulDreamer

Yeah, I'm inclined to think that there was shady stuff going on at Frontera, but that Jesslyn's murder really had nothing to do with it. If a cop really did tell Betty that what happened to Jesslyn could happen to her, he may have just meant something "bad" not that it had anything to do with Frontera.

By the way, what is with LE telling Jesslyn's family that the remains they found were definitively hers and then changing their mind that it was her? That poor family.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Why on Earth didn't UM ever update the segment to talk about the suspect police believe murdered Jesslyn? That article was written back in 92, you think even on the Farina hosted episodes they would have updated it. In the UM segment, Jesslyn's friend that says she got a scared look on her face and she got up and went to the bathroom where a man followed her. Based on the article, it seems like Jesslyn may have not been as scared of the man as her friend thought, since police believe she willingly left with him and went to his apartment. The "scared" look could have been nothing more than her looking at a guy she was possibly interested in.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
asmitty
Forum Regular

I also feel that Jesslyn's murder probably had little to nothing to do with Frontera. While I do believe that there were some shady goings on with the guards at Frontera, I had a very hard time placing any stock in anything that Betty Thompson had to say. Something about her just struck me as off. Her story just seemed very exaggerated and overblown to me. She seemed to be seeking attention to some extent, and portions of her story seemed a lot more like someone trying to make a situation sound shady and dangerous rather than actually having been in that kind of situation.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty
I also feel that Jesslyn's murder probably had little to nothing to do with Frontera. While I do believe that there were some shady goings on with the guards at Frontera, I had a very hard time placing any stock in anything that Betty Thompson had to say. Something about her just struck me as off. Her story just seemed very exaggerated and overblown to me. She seemed to be seeking attention to some extent, and portions of her story seemed a lot more like someone trying to make a situation sound shady and dangerous rather than actually having been in that kind of situation.
I don't think she was seeking attention, because she became genuinely upset in her interview on UM. And IIRC, didn't she call the cops when someone drove by and shot at her? She would obviously not be able to fake that or make that up, and just for the simple fact that someone actually shot at her makes her story look more credible, IMO. But I do not think the prison had anything to do with Jesslyn's murder. I am confused though, police say the case was closed in 92 but did they ever find her body?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
MegtheEgg86

While I do think the segment should've at least had an update, are statements from the suspect's family and the fact that he was an employee at this bar the only things the police have to connect the suspect to Rich? Seems a little tenuous on the surface.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
While I do think the segment should've at least had an update, are statements from the suspect's family and the fact that he was an employee at this bar the only things the police have to connect the suspect to Rich? Seems a little tenuous on the surface.
They have to have more than that to outright accuse the guy in print, or else they could be facing a lawsuit. I think they have more on the guy, but didn't want to divulge it to the public for whatever reason.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty

I just saw the episode of Unsolved Mysteries on Lifetime last night that mentioned the case. I am suspicious of much of the story. While I do believe a prison guard named Jesslyn Rich disappeared and was murdered, I find a lot of Betty Thompson's story bogus. A female prisoner dies the day after supposedly saying she had information about Ms. Rich's murder? Why didn't the prisoner tell Ms. Thompson at that moment what she supposedly knew instead of promising to reveal it later? Was there anyone else to witness the supposed outburst? And why did Ms. Thompson go along with the falsification of the prisoner's alleged death instead of resigning?

If what Ms. Thompson said was true about massive corruption and murder at this prison, the California news media would have been all over it. But there is virtually no information on the Internet about it. Are the news media in on the "conspiracy"?

In order for there to have been a conspiracy, many people would have to be in on it. But all we have is the word of Betty Thompson. And for those of you who think she had no reason to lie, sometimes seeking attention is enough of a motive to do so.

How many times has this scenario played out: A person goes public with an outrageous story that includes a little truth but the vast majority of the story is unproven and unprovable.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I don't think she was seeking attention, because she became genuinely upset in her interview on UM. And IIRC, didn't she call the cops when someone drove by and shot at her? She would obviously not be able to fake that or make that up, and just for the simple fact that someone actually shot at her makes her story look more credible, IMO.

You don't believe people can put on a good act when they need to? All we have is her word someone shot at her and that she called the cops.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
dynoguy88

There's an article snippet shown during the segment that mentions other officers at Frontera, not just Betty Thompson, coming forward to reveal the curruption going on with the higher ups and drug trafficking at that prison.

I fully believe everything Betty said.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
themaninblack
Forum Regular

This story gives me every reason to believe that it is truthful. Plus everything I know which was not mentioned on the show cements my beliefs.