Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

Default "Lucy Moves To NBC" - My Review

I found the first half of the special funny and entertaining (except for the stereotypical Asian jokes, which just make people cringe in this day and age.) The cavalcade of guests stars were GREAT! Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, Donald O'Connor, Gene Kelly.

Sadly, this special takes a horrible turn when a pilot for a proposed series starring Donald O'Connor takes up the last half of the special. In my opinion, this pilot made it to air ONLY because Lucy was behind it. Other than that, such an insipid, contrived pilot would have never made it pass a conscious network executive. While I would normally watch anything with Donald O'Connor, but this "proposed pilot" was a disaster. What a shame!
lucyandethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyandethel
I found the first half of the special funny and entertaining (except for the stereotypical Asian jokes, which just make people cringe in this day and age.) The cavalcade of guests stars were GREAT! Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, Donald O'Connor, Gene Kelly.

Sadly, this special takes a horrible turn when a pilot for a proposed series starring Donald O'Connor takes up the last half of the special. In my opinion, this pilot made it to air ONLY because Lucy was behind it. Other than that, such an insipid, contrived pilot would have never made it pass a conscious network executive. While I would normally watch anything with Donald O'Connor, but this "proposed pilot" was a disaster. What a shame!
I agree with your assessment. I saw the show when it first aired 32 years ago and had the same impression I do now upon seeing it again. The first half hour sparkled, except -- like you say -- those Asian jokes, which stick out like a sore thumb. The pilot at the end was uninspired: yet another generation gap plot device with all the stale and predictable "you don't get my generation" jokes. And that subplot about the son wanting a motorcycle I find eerie and uncomfortable to watch, given what happened to Scotty Plummer 12 or 13 years later.

My major critique about the show in general is that it felt desperately old fashioned, even for 1980. First of all, the general plot was hardly original; it was essentially a redo of Lucy's 1964 Lucille Ball Comedy Hour special. Once again we have Lucille Ball playing Lucille Ball, the producer, trying to track down a star to appear in a TV series she's producing, then a show within a show at the end. But the general tone of the entire special was old fashioned. Lucille Ball seemed to get stubborn as she got older. In the 1960s as head of Desilu, she could get behind innovative new ideas like Star Trek and Mission: Impossible, but at this point, she didn't seem to be able to look in any direction but backwards. Between this and Bungle Abbey, all she could deliver to NBC were unoriginal shows starring aging actors that could only possibly appeal to a much older audience. NBC was struggling in those days. Fred Silverman was fairly new at the network at that time, having come from ABC, which he had managed to turn around by delivering a crop of fresh shows with cross-generational appeal. It's no surprise he didn't buy what Lucy was offering.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
lucyandethel
Forum Regular

Gary Imhoff, who played Fred Silverman, is actually an acclaimed acting teacher in Los Angeles now. He taught for many years at the Beverly Hills Playhouse and has his own school now. He is one of the best teachers in town from what I hear.
lucyandethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
bogdanloveslucy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
I agree with your assessment. I saw the show when it first aired 32 years ago and had the same impression I do now upon seeing it again. The first half hour sparkled, except -- like you say -- those Asian jokes, which stick out like a sore thumb. The pilot at the end was uninspired: yet another generation gap plot device with all the stale and predictable "you don't get my generation" jokes. And that subplot about the son wanting a motorcycle I find eerie and uncomfortable to watch, given what happened to Scotty Plummer 12 or 13 years later.

My major critique about the show in general is that it felt desperately old fashioned, even for 1980. First of all, the general plot was hardly original; it was essentially a redo of Lucy's 1964 Lucille Ball Comedy Hour special. Once again we have Lucille Ball playing Lucille Ball, the producer, trying to track down a star to appear in a TV series she's producing, then a show within a show at the end. But the general tone of the entire special was old fashioned. Lucille Ball seemed to get stubborn as she got older. In the 1960s as head of Desilu, she could get behind innovative new ideas like Star Trek and Mission: Impossible, but at this point, she didn't seem to be able to look in any direction but backwards. Between this and Bungle Abbey, all she could deliver to NBC were unoriginal shows starring aging actors that could only possibly appeal to a much older audience. NBC was struggling in those days. Fred Silverman was fairly new at the network at that time, having come from ABC, which he had managed to turn around by delivering a crop of fresh shows with cross-generational appeal. It's no surprise he didn't buy what Lucy was offering.
What happened to Scotty Plummer?
bogdanloveslucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
bogdanloveslucy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII

Yes, trouble was Lucy's husband Gary never introduced her to anybody who was great in Hollywood and who could have guided her to something new and fresh.
bogdanloveslucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanloveslucy
What happened to Scotty Plummer?
He was killed in a motorcycle accident. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Plummer
Given that reality, listening to the dialogue in that scene in the special made me a little uncomfortable.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote