Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #121
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

I agree. it's my thought( I don't know for sure) that the owners, knowing that the motel would probably be torn down in the near future for condos did not want to invest money in the property to put phones in the rooms.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #122
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

bump
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #123
MegtheEgg86

Just read through this entire thread.

She was abducted for no other reason than she just so happened to be there, IMO--like many women unfortunately are. There is nothing factual to suggest otherwise.

What are known as facts:

1. A number of witnesses, including two police officers, saw Pamela around 0530.

2. Pamela was followed by a white male from the lobby to the pool area, who had been seen earlier in the vicinity.

3. Witnesses reported a woman's screams for help around the same time.

What is speculation and rooted almost entirely in opinion:

1. The area the hotel was located in PCB was/is "seedy".

2. Pamela was a drug addict. (Still lost on that one. )

3. Pamela lacked foresight as a mother (which, I suppose, is connected to the first point).

^ Ultimately, nearly all of those things are irrelevant to what actually happened to Pamela anyway. If there was any evidence of the second point being rooted in what's known for a fact, I could accept it, and it WOULD be helpful in the investigation. But given what's known, there is nothing factual to strongly support or suggest that idea.

I think she was abducted because she was available. Her departure time from Georgia, arrival time in PCB, choice of motel, decision to leave her children and belongings in the car, and choice to vacation with only her children are all sidebar detractors from which nothing definite can be gleaned, IMO.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #124
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Just read through this entire thread.

She was abducted for no other reason than she just so happened to be there, IMO--like many women unfortunately are. There is nothing factual to suggest otherwise.

What are known as facts:

1. A number of witnesses, including two police officers, saw Pamela around 0530.

2. Pamela was followed by a white male from the lobby to the pool area, who had been seen earlier in the vicinity.

3. Witnesses reported a woman's screams for help around the same time.

What is speculation and rooted almost entirely in opinion:

1. The area the hotel was located in PCB was/is "seedy".

2. Pamela was a drug addict. (Still lost on that one. )

3. Pamela lacked foresight as a mother (which, I suppose, is connected to the first point).

^ Ultimately, nearly all of those things are irrelevant to what actually happened to Pamela anyway. If there was any evidence of the second point being rooted in what's known for a fact, I could accept it, and it WOULD be helpful in the investigation. But given what's known, there is nothing factual to strongly support or suggest that idea.

I think she was abducted because she was available. Her departure time from Georgia, arrival time in PCB, choice of motel, decision to leave her children and belongings in the car, and choice to vacation with only her children are all sidebar detractors from which nothing definite can be gleaned, IMO.
Agreed, wrong place wrong time.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #125
unidentified
Frequent Poster

Wow, this topic has really become hot. Since I first posted some time ago (way back on the 1st page) I can't believe almost 10 pages of discussion have been generated. Truly a mystery this one.

Quote:
She obviously saw the police car driving by the motel. If she was concerned about being locked out of the motel, why didn't she simply flag down the officer and ask him for assistance? While I know that the police aren't tour guides and that they are busy, it would have been a far more prudent move than chatting w/ a total stranger in parking lot at 5am.
Would have to agree, although police may be busy - this was 1992 - things weren't so fast paced and police were friendlier back then.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #126
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

I was thinking about this...
I wonder if there were any similar cases in the Florida area a year before/after her disappearance? Could be the work of either a one time rapist/murderer, or a serial killer. I wonder if police ever looked into Oba Chandler's whereabouts in August 1992.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #127
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMind90
I wonder if there were any similar cases in the Florida area a year before/after her disappearance? Could be the work of either a one time rapist/murderer, or a serial killer. I wonder if police ever looked into Oba Chandler's whereabouts in August 1992.
The UM segment said another woman was abducted, raped, and killed, in the same area shortly after or before (can't remember right now) Pamela disappeared. They also said there was a suspect in that case in which the man fit the general description of the same man seen lurking around the motel the same day Pamela went missing.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #128
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The UM segment said another woman was abducted, raped, and killed, in the same area shortly after or before (can't remember right now) Pamela disappeared. They also said there was a suspect in that case in which the man fit the general description of the same man seen lurking around the motel the same day Pamela went missing.
I don't recall that on the segment.
Why wasn't a description of the suspect given?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #129
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
I don't recall that on the segment.
Why wasn't a description of the suspect given?
My apologies, this wasn't included on the UM broadcast, but the information about the possible suspect can be found on Pamela's profile on the Charley Project website here:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ray_pamela.html
Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #130
Hambone2421

Quote:
Good question. Oba Chandler is definitely a serial killer. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he has raped and killed more women then we know about.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #131
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Good question. Oba Chandler is definitely a serial killer. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he has raped and killed more women then we know about.
The only reason his rape victim (he raped her a few months before he killed the mother and daughter) lived is because her friend (who had met him) felt wary about going on the boat with him. He knew if he killed the girl, and the friend remembered him, he'd be in trouble. The only reason that pair survived was because one of them didn't want to go on the boat.

I'd imagine Oba's victims to be up in the dozens. I just get that feeling. Especially in the more trusting 70s/80s--a rather good looking, seemingly kind man helping out and acting as a tour guide to lost/vulnerable women? He definitely killed quite a few women. He needs to be looked more into.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #132
Mysteryphile
I wonder what happened to her.
Forum Regular

was thinking about this...

Read more: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...#ixzz1KwU9Pq6u

But wasn't he more the type of guy that liked to cat and mouse the women he killed? Look at all the trouble he went to to get the girls and the mother onto his boat. I think he liked to draw it out, savour it, and then to pounce. He could have found easier prey if he was just out to kill.
Mysteryphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #133
crystaldawn

I am reading a book written in the 90's titled "Reward" that profiles several missing persons cases including Pamela June Ray. It has a little more info about her possible abductor so I thought I would just type everything they wrote about her disappearance:

"Right before midnight on Tuesday, August 11 ,1992, a disreputable-looking man parked himself on one of the many folding chairs outside Wilhite's Motel in Panama City, Florida. It's not unusual for tourists to watch the sights along the Redneck Riviera, as this area is sometimes called. But this man was watching with rapt interest the people who passed by on this "Miracle Strip".

After a while the police became interested in watching him. They knew this man, and knew that sinister things had happened to more than one woman when he was around. There were whispers of a girl who had disappeared after being seen with him and who was later found murdered.

There was also the story about a local girl who had been talking on a pay phone when he sneaked over and hit her on the head with a hammer. Supposedly he then spirited her off into the woods, and when she regained consciousness he was assaulting her. Somehow she talked him into letting her go. The police arrested him, but the young woman had made a couple of minor mistakes when she first described him and the police had to release him.

Thats why the Panama City police weren't happy to see him in their area again. They told him to get up and move on, which he did. At least for a while. No one knows for certain whether he came back early the next morning, and whether what then happened at the motel had anything to do with him.

That same evening, even before the man in question sat down outside Wilhite's, a thirty-six-year old woman named Pamela June Ray was getting ready to leave Villa Rica, Georgia, with her children for a few days' vacation. She was planning to drive overnight to Panama City and stay at a motel.

Pamela Ray had almost canceled the trip after learning her husband, Michael, wasn't going to be able to get time off for a vacation until after September. But she was a devoted mother, and she wanted her two children to spend some time at the beach before they had to return to school. At the last minute she decided to go with her thirty-two-year-old sister Rhonda, but since Rhonda couldn't leave until Thursday, Pam decided to make the nighttime drive with the children so they could have that extra day at the beach.

Pam's father, Ralph Bennett, a fifty-nine-year-old truck driver, says, "Pam called a motel and said she was fixing to be on the way, and they said they had rooms. When Pam got there around five o'clock in the morning, she temporarily locked her two children in her '92 blue Sundance so they'd be safe while she went to make sure she had her room."

As she walked toward Wilhite's Motel, a clerk at White's the motel next door, saw the 128-pound, five foot three inch tall woman with long brown hair and dark brown eyes, wearing a red tank top, black shorts, and flip-flops. According to her father, Pam was also wearing a diamond necklace, a diamond earring, a diamond wedding ring, diamond watch and three-tier diamond ring. The clerk then noticed a man with Pam, and a few minutes later some of the guests at the two motels heard screaming.

"Unsolved Mysteries" the tv series that has successfully ferreted out of a number of heinous criminals, covered this case, and while they didn't mention the suspicious man sitting outside Wilhite's, they did uncover another witness to this crime. Their re-creation included a police officer who said he passed the motel around five o'clock that morning and saw Pam standing next to her vehicle talking to a white male.

The officer described the man as being of medium build, with a gray and white striped shirt, sandy hair and the look of a beach bum. The policeman noticed that the man turned and walked back into the parking lot area of Wilhite's; he saw Pam lock the door with a set of keys in her hand. Then she turned and followed the man into the parking lot.

Five minutes after the policeman left, several guests at Wilhite's were awakened by screams for help, but since the rooms had no phones, no one reported the screams. Only at 8 am when Pamela's children were discovered locked in the car outside the motel were the authorities called. By that time the morning rain had washed away any blood, footprints, or other physical evidence that might have told them what had happened a few hours earlier to Pamela June Ray.

Pam's father feels he's getting conflicting and incomplete information from those who might know what happened that night especially concerning the man seated on the chair outside Wilhite's. "They telling so many different tales down there that nobody really knows what happened", he says. All he knows is that he wants his daughter back."

Last edited by crystaldawn; 05-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #134
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I am reading a book written in the 90's titled "Reward" that profiles several missing persons cases including Pamela June Ray. It has a little more info about her possible abductor so I thought I would just type everything they wrote about her disappearance:

"Right before midnight on Tuesday, August 11 ,1992, a disreputable-looking man parked himself on one of the many folding chairs outside Wilhite's Motel in Panama City, Florida. It's not unusual for tourists to watch the sights along the Redneck Riviera, as this area is sometimes called. But this man was watching with rapt interest the people who passed by on this "Miracle Strip".

After a while the police became interested in watching him. They knew this man, and knew that sinister things had happened to more than one woman when he was around. There were whispers of a girl who had disappeared after being seen with him and who was later found murdered.

There was also the story about a local girl who had been talking on a pay phone when he sneaked over and hit her on the head with a hammer. Supposedly he then spirited her off into the woods, and when she regained consciousness he was assaulting her. Somehow she talked him into letting her go. The police arrested him, but the young woman had made a couple of minor mistakes when she first described him and the police had to release him.

Thats why the Panama City police weren't happy to see him in their area again. They told him to get up and move on, which he did. At least for a while. No one knows for certain whether he came back early the next morning, and whether what then happened at the motel had anything to do with him.

That same evening, even before the man in question sat down outside Wilhite's, a thirty-six-year old woman named Pamela June Ray was getting ready to leave Villa Rica, Georgia, with her children for a few days' vacation. She was planning to drive overnight to Panama City and stay at a motel.

Pamela Ray had almost canceled the trip after learning her husband, Michael, wasn't going to be able to get time off for a vacation until after September. But she was a devoted mother, and she wanted her two children to spend some time at the beach before they had to return to school. At the last minute she decided to go with her thirty-two-year-old sister Rhonda, but since Rhonda couldn't leave until Thursday, Pam decided to make the nighttime drive with the children so they could have that extra day at the beach.

Pam's father, Ralph Bennett, a fifty-nine-year-old truck driver, says, "Pam called a motel and said she was fixing to be on the way, and they said they had rooms. When Pam got there around five o'clock in the morning, she temporarily locked her two children in her '92 blue Sundance so they'd be safe while she went to make sure she had her room."

As she walked toward Wilhite's Motel, a clerk at White's the motel next door, saw the 128-pound, five foot three inch tall woman with long brown hair and dark brown eyes, wearing a red tank top, black shorts, and flip-flops. According to her father, Pam was also wearing a diamond necklace, a diamond earring, a diamond wedding ring, diamond watch and three-tier diamond ring. The clerk then noticed a man with Pam, and a few minutes later some of the guests at the two motels heard screaming.

"Unsolved Mysteries" the tv series that has successfully ferreted out of a number of heinous criminals, covered this case, and while they didn't mention the suspicious man sitting outside Wilhite's, they did uncover another witness to this crime. Their re-creation included a police officer who said he passed the motel around five o'clock that morning and saw Pam standing next to her vehicle talking to a white male.

The officer described the man as being of medium build, with a gray and white striped ****e, sandy hair and the look of a beach bum. The policeman noticed that the man turned and walked back into the parking lot area of Wilhite's; he saw Pam lock the door with a set of keys in her hand. Then she turned and followed the man into the parking lot.

Five minutes after the policeman left, several guests at Wilhite's were awakened by screams for help, but since the rooms had no phones, no one reported the screams. Only at 8 am when Pamela's children were discovered locked in the car outside the motel were the authorities called. By that time the morning rain had washed away any blood, footprints, or other physical evidence that might have told them what had happened a few hours earlier to Pamela June Ray.

Pam's father feels he's getting conflicting and incomplete information from those who might know what happened that night especially concerning the man seated on the chair outside Wilhite's. "They telling so many different tales down there that nobody really knows what happened", he says. All he knows is that he wants his daughter back."
Wow, thats very interesting crystaldawn. Does the book say who this person if interest is? I wonder if this guy is still alive.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #135
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Wow, thats very interesting crystaldawn. Does the book say who this person if interest is? I wonder if this guy is still alive.
No they don't mention a name. However they did say the cops knew him. Does that mean they knew his name and where he lived or just knew him as a transient from the area? I would think his name is on file somewhere since he was initially arrested for that attack described (and then later released). You would hope they did an extensive search trying to find him after she went missing. I'm surprised the other residents didn't do more. I realize there were no phones in the rooms but you hear screams and no one apparently goes outside to try and find out what is going on? Sadly I do think that she was killed that day and am really surprised her remains haven't been found by now.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote