Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables
2019 New York Comic Con Round Up

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #61
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

I just watched the UM segment . First, I don't think Pam was dressed like a hooker. She was dressed in the style of clothing worn by many women her age back then. A tank top and bermuda shorts at the beach-nothing wrong with that.

I think there might be some misconception about her having made arrangements about the hotel key also. But maybe not.

Many years ago when my husband and I got married, he made similar arrangements at Peek's motel further down the strip for our honeymoon. We wouldn't be getting to PCB till after the office closed. So he was supposed to get our room key from a designated spot-I don't remember where. It wasn't where it was supposed to be. So at around midnight, we were driving up and down the strip trying to find a motel that was open. We finally found one.

So I can see a similar scenario with Pamela. Maybe she got to the beach, they didn't leave the key where it was supposed to be and that is why she was going to several motels trying to find one that was open. When she couldn't, she went back to the Wilhite, where she was abducted.

That is my take on what might have happened. I've been away several days and had time to think about it . I felt pretty bad when I read about the way she was dressed and the possible drug buying. I don't think any of that is true. I just think this poor lady was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #62
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I don't think Pamela was attempting to score any drugs. She would have taken her purse for one thing, and who goes looking for drugs at 5 am in the morning at a vacation spot motel? Let alone the fact that she had her kids with her! I'm sure LE looked into that possibility, and it almost certainly would have been mentioned on the UM segment if she had a previous drug habbit. I just don't buy it. And yes the UM segment never mentioned that keys were supposed to be left for her, but her alleged daughter made a post on here saying that her aunt had made arrangements for keys to be left in a mail slot when she arrived. If this is true, it would account for her knocking on the door, sitting in her car, and checking out all the other motels in the area. I still think the man who did this posed as a motel employee, but I find it odd that she wasn't alerted when the man didn't go into the motel office but instead walked in the direction of the pool. Maybe she was a little cautious of this man which is why she locked her purse and her children in the car.

I still don't understand how none of the motel guests saw ANYTHING at all. When you hear screams you usually look to see where they are coming, why didn't anyone see a struggle in the parking lot, car speeding away, etc.?
Hmmm....

1) You do know that people very often take their children along to score drugs,don't you? When you are addicted, most social mores go out the window and you'll be surprised at what you'll find yourself doing. And you wouldn't take your purse;you'd take enough money to buy the drugs that you wanted.

Looking for drugs at 5am in the morning is also VERY common and this could also explain why she was going from motel to motel instead of going to an all-night restaurant or truck stop,waiting the few hours until morning and THEN looking for a motel or hotel w/ a vacancy.

I'm not sure why you think that this would have been mentioned in the segment,poster. As much as I like UM, I know that they often left out crucial details to make their narratives more entertaining and more of a "mystery." Had they had information that Ms. Ray used illegal drugs and had presented that in the segment, then her disappearance, while certainly a mystery,would have been more understandable,potentially lessening its "appeal."

2) The key in the mail slot arrangement makes no sense. The only place that information came from is the poster on this forum. None of the newspaper accounts nor the UM segment mention this and it would actually would have made Ms. Ray's motel search unnecessary had it occurred.

3) Why would she think that the man was a hotel employee? The officer witnessed her chatting w/ the man didn't say he was in a uniform. And I'm certain that an officer patrolling in the area would have recognized the man had been an employee or even a regular at the property.

I think that you are under the impression that I'm implying that she somehow "deserved" what happened. That's not the case at all. The only way to solve a mystery is gather all of the facts and analyze them, regardless of whether or not those facts are distasteful or unpleasant.In fact,IMHO, if most families were honest w/ the authorities, most missing person cases and a lot murders would be quickly solved.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #63
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Hmmm....

1) You do know that people very often take their children along to score drugs,don't you? When you are addicted, most social mores go out the window and you'll be surprised at what you'll find yourself doing. And you wouldn't take your purse;you'd take enough money to buy the drugs that you wanted.

Looking for drugs at 5am in the morning is also VERY common and this could also explain why she was going from motel to motel instead of going to an all-night restaurant or truck stop,waiting the few hours until morning and THEN looking for a motel or hotel w/ a vacancy.

I'm not sure why you think that this would have been mentioned in the segment,poster. As much as I like UM, I know that they often left out crucial details to make their narratives more entertaining and more of a "mystery." Had they had information that Ms. Ray used illegal drugs and had presented that in the segment, then her disappearance, while certainly a mystery,would have been more understandable,potentially lessening its "appeal."

2) The key in the mail slot arrangement makes no sense. The only place that information came from is the poster on this forum. None of the newspaper accounts nor the UM segment mention this and it would actually would have made Ms. Ray's motel search unnecessary had it occurred.

3) Why would she think that the man was a hotel employee? The officer witnessed her chatting w/ the man didn't say he was in a uniform. And I'm certain that an officer patrolling in the area would have recognized the man had been an employee or even a regular at the property.

I think that you are under the impression that I'm implying that she somehow "deserved" what happened. That's not the case at all. The only way to solve a mystery is gather all of the facts and analyze them, regardless of whether or not those facts are distasteful or unpleasant.In fact,IMHO, if most families were honest w/ the authorities, most missing person cases and a lot murders would be quickly solved.
Well just because UM didn't mention a key being reserved doesn't mean that it never happened does it? You yourself said that UM leaves out details to beef up their storylines. Yes a woman can go score drugs with her kids, it happens ALL the time when someone is addicted. People will do just about anything, I understand this...my point was why drive ALL the way to Florida from Georgia to score drugs in an area you are unfamiliar with??? If she was THAT addicted to drugs like you imply, why didn't she score some in her hometown where she knew that drugs would be sold? There's no guarantee she would have found a candyman at five a.m. in the morning on a strip of motels that people go to for vacation. Looking for drugs in the morning is VERY common, but she left her vehicle and was seen being followed by the man. If she were buying drugs wouldn't she be following this man? And if buying drugs on this motel strip was THAT common, wouldn't this officer have been at least the tiniest bit suspicious seeing two people in a parking lot of one of those motels that early in the morning? That would have been the first thing on that officers mind as he was driving by, and he probably would have pulled in and checked it out if it were true. I didn't know Pamela, I can't tell you if she was on drugs. I can just tell you that I find it unlikely that she would leave with her kids to enjoy one last vacation, drive hundreds of miles in the wee hours of the morning, then arrive at her destination and see that no motels are open and go, "Gee I need a fix...NOW" then lock her kids up in the car while mommy goes out to get high.

(On a side note, according to the Charley project website two officers were among seven witnesses who said they saw Pamela in the parking lot of the motel from when she arrived up until the other officer observed her in the lot with this white man. If she were acting suspicious in any way, or if this was a local spot where people bought drugs, police would have found this EXTREMELY suspicious seeing her sitting in the lot knowing that the motel was closed. And they would have at least questioned her. So we now have three officers who saw her at the parking lot of the motel and none of them noted anything suspicious going on.)
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #64
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

And if this guy was posing as a motel employee the officer who drove by would have no indication of what was going on, he himself stated he just saw two people outside the motel talking. He couldn't hear what was being said between the two. So I think it's quite logical that this guy could have very well posed as motel employee to Pamela and the officer would have been none the wiser.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #65
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Well just because UM didn't mention a key being reserved doesn't mean that it never happened does it? You yourself said that UM leaves out details to beef up their storylines. Yes a woman can go score drugs with her kids, it happens ALL the time when someone is addicted. People will do just about anything, I understand this...my point was why drive ALL the way to Florida from Georgia to score drugs in an area you are unfamiliar with??? If she was THAT addicted to drugs like you imply, why didn't she score some in her hometown where she knew that drugs would be sold? There's no guarantee she would have found a candyman at five a.m. in the morning on a strip of motels that people go to for vacation. Looking for drugs in the morning is VERY common, but she left her vehicle and was seen being followed by the man. If she were buying drugs wouldn't she be following this man? And if buying drugs on this motel strip was THAT common, wouldn't this officer have been at least the tiniest bit suspicious seeing two people in a parking lot of one of those motels that early in the morning? That would have been the first thing on that officers mind as he was driving by, and he probably would have pulled in and checked it out if it were true. I didn't know Pamela, I can't tell you if she was on drugs. I can just tell you that I find it unlikely that she would leave with her kids to enjoy one last vacation, drive hundreds of miles in the wee hours of the morning, then arrive at her destination and see that no motels are open and go, "Gee I need a fix...NOW" then lock her kids up in the car while mommy goes out to get high.

(On a side note, according to the Charley project website two officers were among seven witnesses who said they saw Pamela in the parking lot of the motel from when she arrived up until the other officer observed her in the lot with this white man. If she were acting suspicious in any way, or if this was a local spot where people bought drugs, police would have found this EXTREMELY suspicious seeing her sitting in the lot knowing that the motel was closed. And they would have at least questioned her. So we now have three officers who saw her at the parking lot of the motel and none of them noted anything suspicious going on.)
1) Ms. Ray WAS familiar w/ PCB. She was involved in buying a beach home in the area w/ money her father was accidentally given and then illegally spent from a bank error. While she wasn't charged w/ a crime for her activities, the fact that she would have been involved in this type of activity at all speaks to her character in general.

2) I take it that you do not use drugs. If you are addicted to a substance, then clear and rational thinking goes out the window. She probably could have obtained drugs at home. But then that might not have been enough for the time she was on "vacation" in PCB. H-ll, it might not have lasted her until she got to PCB.

Also, it's an "open secret" that there are usually drugs available at or near low budget motels. That reason, and the generally lack of cleanliness found in the them (oh yes and the hookers) are why most people AVOID them. Especially if they have children traveling w/ them.

3) I'm not a cop, but if I drove by in a police car and two people that were talking decided at the EXACT moment that I did, to walk away from where they are at, I might find that act to be suspicious. Especially since it's uncommon for people to be standing around outside having a "chat" at 5am in front of a low budget motel.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the officer didn't at least drive through the lot. Not to see if Ms. Ray was safe, but to determine if these two people even belonged at the motel or if their activities were related to a drug transaction or something else illegal.

4) The ONLY source of "information" anywhere that stated that Ms. Ray was expecting a key to be left by the manager was the poster on here. No newspaper accounts and nothing on UM corroborate their claim. And it again made no sense for that to have happened if it did happen that way. If there were no key, wouldn't the prudent course of action to be to wait at, or near, said motel the few hours until daylight rather driving around looking for another one?

5) All of the actions you have described are the actions of person who was either impaired on drugs or was/is a very short-term thinker. Or both.

From driving at night to a destination w/ two young children...to driving around early in the morning from low budget motel to low budget motel instead using a payphone in a lighted place to locate one...to having a discussion w/ a stranger outside of you car and then walking away from said car w/ that stranger leaving your children alone.

Again, I'm not trying to blame the victim. But not looking at all potential aspects of this crime is just liking saying that you don't want to solve it.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #66
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
1) Ms. Ray WAS familiar w/ PCB. She was involved in buying a beach home in the area w/ money her father was accidentally given and then illegally spent from a bank error. While she wasn't charged w/ a crime for her activities, the fact that she would have been involved in this type of activity at all speaks to her character in general.

2) I take it that you do not use drugs. If you are addicted to a substance, then clear and rational thinking goes out the window. She probably could have obtained drugs at home. But then that might not have been enough for the time she was on "vacation" in PCB. H-ll, it might not have lasted her until she got to PCB.

Also, it's an "open secret" that there are usually drugs available at or near low budget motels. That reason, and the generally lack of cleanliness found in the them (oh yes and the hookers) are why most people AVOID them. Especially if they have children traveling w/ them.

3) I'm not a cop, but if I drove by in a police car and two people that were talking decided at the EXACT moment that I did, to walk away from where they are at, I might find that act to be suspicious. Especially since it's uncommon for people to be standing around outside having a "chat" at 5am in front of a low budget motel.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the officer didn't at least drive through the lot. Not to see if Ms. Ray was safe, but to determine if these two people even belonged at the motel or if their activities were related to a drug transaction or something else illegal.

4) The ONLY source of "information" anywhere that stated that Ms. Ray was expecting a key to be left by the manager was the poster on here. No newspaper accounts and nothing on UM corroborate their claim. And it again made no sense for that to have happened if it did happen that way. If there were no key, wouldn't the prudent course of action to be to wait at, or near, said motel the few hours until daylight rather driving around looking for another one?

5) All of the actions you have described are the actions of person who was either impaired on drugs or was/is a very short-term thinker. Or both.

From driving at night to a destination w/ two young children...to driving around early in the morning from low budget motel to low budget motel instead using a payphone in a lighted place to locate one...to having a discussion w/ a stranger outside of you car and then walking away from said car w/ that stranger leaving your children alone.

Again, I'm not trying to blame the victim. But not looking at all potential aspects of this crime is just liking saying that you don't want to solve it.
Yes I know that the poster is the only source for the key that was supposed to have been left for her. And the only source we have that this was a "seedy area full of drug ridden motels" is also a poster on here. Kilarney Rose, another poster claims that they were in the area when Pamela disappeared and said, "The Wilhite was an older mom & pop style motel that was a leftover from the 50s and 60s. I think I remember the office as being out in the parking lot, separate from the rest of the hotel. It was common to make arrangements to pick up the key upon arrival at one of these places, we have done it too. It wasn't in a run down area, but there were still quite a few older motels along that stretch of the beach." And that was my whole point about the officer not pulling into the motel parking lot. If drugs were commonly sold at these seedy motels, what's the first thing an officer is going to suspect seeing two people in one of the motels parking lot at five am? He would have investigated further if that were the case.

Let's say for arguments sake say that she was trying to score drugs when she was roaming motel to motel. The UM segment says she arrived at 4:30 am to find all of the motels either closed or no vacancies. Then at 5 am witnesses place Ray in her car outside the Wilhite lobby. Now if she was there to buy drugs, why would she be sitting in her car just waiting for a drug dealer to happen by? Wouldn't she be driving around looking for a dealer? And she had to have went to these other motels on foot (witnesses say her car was always parked at the Wilhite). Would she be that callous to abandon her children in the car while she went out on foot in an unsafe area? That would not only put her children in jeopardy, but also her if she went away from her car looking for drugs. And if she truly were out to obtain some drugs why even bother knocking on the lobby door? If the drug theory is true then she wasn't at these motels looking for a place to stay, so why stick around for a full hour after she arrived if all she was doing was trying to buy drugs? Couldn't she have just driven to a truck stop (where I'm sure drugs can just as easily be purchased) if this were so?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #67
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Yes I know that the poster is the only source for the key that was supposed to have been left for her. And the only source we have that this was a "seedy area full of drug ridden motels" is also a poster on here. Kilarney Rose, another poster claims that they were in the area when Pamela disappeared and said, "The Wilhite was an older mom & pop style motel that was a leftover from the 50s and 60s. I think I remember the office as being out in the parking lot, separate from the rest of the hotel. It was common to make arrangements to pick up the key upon arrival at one of these places, we have done it too. It wasn't in a run down area, but there were still quite a few older motels along that stretch of the beach." And that was my whole point about the officer not pulling into the motel parking lot. If drugs were commonly sold at these seedy motels, what's the first thing an officer is going to suspect seeing two people in one of the motels parking lot at five am? He would have investigated further if that were the case.

Let's say for arguments sake say that she was trying to score drugs when she was roaming motel to motel. The UM segment says she arrived at 4:30 am to find all of the motels either closed or no vacancies. Then at 5 am witnesses place Ray in her car outside the Wilhite lobby. Now if she was there to buy drugs, why would she be sitting in her car just waiting for a drug dealer to happen by? Wouldn't she be driving around looking for a dealer? And she had to have went to these other motels on foot (witnesses say her car was always parked at the Wilhite). Would she be that callous to abandon her children in the car while she went out on foot in an unsafe area? That would not only put her children in jeopardy, but also her if she went away from her car looking for drugs. And if she truly were out to obtain some drugs why even bother knocking on the lobby door? If the drug theory is true then she wasn't at these motels looking for a place to stay, so why stick around for a full hour after she arrived if all she was doing was trying to buy drugs? Couldn't she have just driven to a truck stop (where I'm sure drugs can just as easily be purchased) if this were so?
1) Actually there are several sources both in the newspapers and even on the UM segment which tell of the low quality of the Wilhite. The primary one? There were no phones in the rooms.
Not sure how you measure the quality of a place, but I have never stayed in a motel (no matter the cost) in the US where there wasn't a phone in the room.

2) Honestly, I have doubts about what the officer saw when he drove by. If he saw two people talking and then walking away when he drove past, early in the morning before day, why didn't that make him suspicious? Especially if that was part of his regular patrol area?

Since it was included in the segment, I have to assume that it was checked and rechecked by the investigators looking into the case prior to allowing it to be aired. Other than that fact, I have no reason to believe that this occurred. It may have even been "created" by the officer to explain what he SHOULD have seen at that time and place, if he didn't see anything.

3) You both asked and answered your own questions. Why would a rational,unimpaired adult wander around on foot w/ car available to make the same trips? Why would she leave her children in the car and wander around?Why would she talk w/ a complete stranger about anything outside of her car at 5am? Why didn't she just wait an hour or so until it was sunrise and then start her search for a motel room?
I have been to PCB and I know that there are at least two all night restaurants (at least there used to be) there where she could have waited.

4) Finally, how does anybody know exactly what time she arrived in PCB. She could have been in the area at least 1/2 or more before 4:30 am. If so, then what was she doing? Nobody but Ms. Ray knows when she got to PCB. And obviously she isn't available to talk about it.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #68
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

What strikes me as odd, and suggests she was doing something shady, is that she left for a vacation at 10PM.
I don't know of any person who leaves for a vacation when it's already at night. Commonly if a person is setting out on a trip, they leave in the morning or afternoon--when it's light out.

The fact that she, suddenly, out of the blue decided to leave at 10pm is suspicious. I heard earlier in this thread that her family owed money due to her spending that check which was given to her father in error. Is it possible she wasn't going down there to buys drug to USE, but to sell? Or if not selling drugs, maybe she was trying to sell something else. Maybe she was set to meet someone at one of the hotels in the area, the guy was she was talking to by the car, and it turned out the guy was a psycho.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #69
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMind90
What strikes me as odd, and suggests she was doing something shady, is that she left for a vacation at 10PM.
I don't know of any person who leaves for a vacation when it's already at night. Commonly if a person is setting out on a trip, they leave in the morning or afternoon--when it's light out.

The fact that she, suddenly, out of the blue decided to leave at 10pm is suspicious. I heard earlier in this thread that her family owed money due to her spending that check which was given to her father in error. Is it possible she wasn't going down there to buys drug to USE, but to sell? Or if not selling drugs, maybe she was trying to sell something else. Maybe she was set to meet someone at one of the hotels in the area, the guy was she was talking to by the car, and it turned out the guy was a psycho.
I know what you mean.
I used to make long drives at night but I no longer do as such given the chances of an accident are higher and if there happens to be a breakdown, the chances of getting assistance are much lower.
And I never did it w/ two children; nor would I have.

1) Here's a link from the charleyproject concerning the money her father received:http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ray_pamela.html

It was apparently wired incorrectly into his account.

2) And while I hadn't thought about her perhaps selling drugs, it is possible. Or even muling them for somebody else.
The only problem w/ that is if she were selling drugs, she probably would have had a weapon handy and I don't remember reading that one was found either in the car or on ground around it.

3) It is possible that she may have been meeting someone that she didn't know well for some type of "liaison" but things went South quick and she ended up in trouble.

Her behavior in this case has always struck me as very odd and very inappropriate given the fact that she had children w/ her. If she was traveling alone, perhaps some things might have made more sense. But she didn't seem to have her "vacation" planned out too well and that's not a good idea if you are taking children.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #70
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I know what you mean.
I used to make long drives at night but I no longer do as such given the chances of an accident are higher and if there happens to be a breakdown, the chances of getting assistance are much lower.
And I never did it w/ two children; nor would I have.

1) Here's a link from the charleyproject concerning the money her father received:http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ray_pamela.html

It was apparently wired incorrectly into his account.

2) And while I hadn't thought about her perhaps selling drugs, it is possible. Or even muling them for somebody else.
The only problem w/ that is if she were selling drugs, she probably would have had a weapon handy and I don't remember reading that one was found either in the car or on ground around it.

3) It is possible that she may have been meeting someone that she didn't know well for some type of "liaison" but things went South quick and she ended up in trouble.

Her behavior in this case has always struck me as very odd and very inappropriate given the fact that she had children w/ her. If she was traveling alone, perhaps some things might have made more sense. But she didn't seem to have her "vacation" planned out too well and that's not a good idea if you are taking children.
As to your second point, it's not really necessary that she had a weapon. What if she had never done this sort of thing (selling drugs or getting involved with shady people) before? She could've been an utterly decent person driven to doing something like this out of desperation because of the money issue. People do crazy things, things they'd never do normally out of desperation. She might have been a bit naive with that sort of sleazy world and not thought to take a weapon--thinking it was a simple transaction and on the up and up. You know what I mean?

Remember, this is the Pre-Internet days, the days when such abductions and murders weren't the subject of national news. Just how scummy and sickening some people can be was a less well known thing than it is today. You have to try to put yourself in the perspective of someone living in the world of 1992 when trying to reconstruct Pamela's steps or her motivations for acting as she did.

In 2010, we have the benefit of shows like Unsolved Mysteries and the memories of cases like Natalie Halloway and Jonbenet Ramsey to show us how careful we need to be and how many deranged and sick people there are out there. We didn't have that in 1992--In some ways, it was a bit more naive, or more innocent seeming world in that respect.

I had the benefit of being raised with a street wise parent, so therefore I've always been naturally a bit careful with regard to trips and stuff. As a kid in the mid 1990s--My parent and I did go on an unplanned trips where we just checked into a hotel on a whim without a reservation, BUT, we always did during daylight. We also didn't leave for a trip at 10pm. We also didn't check into hotels in what were scummy seeming areas.

Another odd fact of this case is Pamela owned a place near PCB, right? If she was taking a ''vacation'' and was having a problem finding a hotel, why didn't she just take her kids to that place she owned in Panama Beach for the night? What in God's name was she doing at 5am? Suspicious.

Also, the fact that she left her kids in the car to look at those hotels at 5 am is very suspicious as well. Even in the more naive world of 1992, who would leave little CHILDREN in a car utterly alone in the middle of the night in a dark, seedy area? That seems utterly suspicious to me.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #71
Hambone2421

Quote:
IMHO, (and no, I'm not trying to bash the victim) Ms. Ray's behavior sounds to me like she was high on drugs or was attempting score when she met w/ the wrong person.
I agree with this assessment. I'm not saying its true but its just as good a scenario as any other. This thought had crossed my mind as well but I didn't want to mention it due to PJR's daughter posting on here. I alluded to the story of a "spur of the moment vacation" not making any sense in earlier posts. I don't know of anyone, especially a woman with kids, who decides to drop what they are doing and go on a vacation at 10pm.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #72
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
1) Actually there are several sources both in the newspapers and even on the UM segment which tell of the low quality of the Wilhite. The primary one? There were no phones in the rooms.
Not sure how you measure the quality of a place, but I have never stayed in a motel (no matter the cost) in the US where there wasn't a phone in the room.

2) Honestly, I have doubts about what the officer saw when he drove by. If he saw two people talking and then walking away when he drove past, early in the morning before day, why didn't that make him suspicious? Especially if that was part of his regular patrol area?

Since it was included in the segment, I have to assume that it was checked and rechecked by the investigators looking into the case prior to allowing it to be aired. Other than that fact, I have no reason to believe that this occurred. It may have even been "created" by the officer to explain what he SHOULD have seen at that time and place, if he didn't see anything.

3) You both asked and answered your own questions. Why would a rational,unimpaired adult wander around on foot w/ car available to make the same trips? Why would she leave her children in the car and wander around?Why would she talk w/ a complete stranger about anything outside of her car at 5am? Why didn't she just wait an hour or so until it was sunrise and then start her search for a motel room?
I have been to PCB and I know that there are at least two all night restaurants (at least there used to be) there where she could have waited.

4) Finally, how does anybody know exactly what time she arrived in PCB. She could have been in the area at least 1/2 or more before 4:30 am. If so, then what was she doing? Nobody but Ms. Ray knows when she got to PCB. And obviously she isn't available to talk about it.
1) Good points about the phones. But you also have to remember that the Wilhite was an older motel (a leftover from the 50's) which is probably why there were no phones in the rooms. And also, this motel was right on the water, doesn't that usually raise the cost of staying at these places? And by raising the cost, that lowers the chance that you'll get a low-life trying to sell drugs to decent people staying there. I've never seen a shady looking motel situated at a prime spot for people to stay at a beach.

2) Why would the officer make this up? What the officer saw did not make his suspicious because this was NOT A DRUG BUY area, and he figured it was people there for a vacation not drugs.

3) I could see her being frustrated with the Wilhite not being open (especially if the poster who claimed to be her daughter was telling the truth about the key), so she left her personal belongings and her kids locked up and tried the motels nearby. She would have nothing to worry about if she were just looking for a place to stay. If she had been out trying to score drugs, she would have driven in her car and had access to her purse. Who dumps their kids off and sets out on foot in search for drugs at MOTELS that early in the morning?

4) I based that time of 4:30 off of the UM segment. If she did arrive earlier than 4:30, it still doesn't matter IMO. Her car was always parked in front of the Wilhite lobby from the time she arrived to the time police found it the next morning. Judging by the location of her car, it seems to me that she intended to wait it out in her car until the lobby opened up, and that's when she encountered the man outside.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #73
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

I just believe that those of you who are wanting to create a drug buying/selling scenario are wrong. Period. As one that has been to that area many times, the Wilhite, and surrounding motels were an area that many people came to for family vacations.There was nothing seedy about it and there were at the time nothing there in that stretch, but motels. These older ones like the Wilhite were old, but well kept and many families used them for vacations.

I also don't see a thing odd about traveling at night with children. My daddy's favorite time to travel on vacations was at night. My husband and I did it many times also when our children were young. They would sleep the whole way and in a way, it sort of gives you an extra vacation day to drive at night.

And having gone through the frustration of arriving in PCB at night and not finding the motel key in place as arranged, I can certainly understand PJR's actions that night/morning. I think you are insulting her by conjuring up this drug scenario and trying to create a seedy motel where there wasn't one.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #74
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarney Rose
I just believe that those of you who are wanting to create a drug buying/selling scenario are wrong. Period. As one that has been to that area many times, the Wilhite, and surrounding motels were an area that many people came to for family vacations.There was nothing seedy about it and there were at the time nothing there in that stretch, but motels. These older ones like the Wilhite were old, but well kept and many families used them for vacations.

I also don't see a thing odd about traveling at night with children. My daddy's favorite time to travel on vacations was at night. My husband and I did it many times also when our children were young. They would sleep the whole way and in a way, it sort of gives you an extra vacation day to drive at night.

And having gone through the frustration of arriving in PCB at night and not finding the motel key in place as arranged, I can certainly understand PJR's actions that night/morning. I think you are insulting her by conjuring up this drug scenario and trying to create a seedy motel where there wasn't one.
We can certainly agree to disagree, poster.
However, why does a possible drug angle "bother" you?
It in no way lessens the fact that a crime was committed and,if true, could (or could have) pointed the police in a new direction that might have solved this case.

1) I have been to PCB , although never to the Wilhite. I have also stayed at a number of motels and hotels around the country. While the Wilhite may not be a "dump" (according to the people who have posted on here saying that they are familiar w/ the property) it did have three indicators that it wasn't rated well by Fodor's: There were no telephones in the rooms; the guests didn't feel the need to go outside and investigate noises/screams at 5am; and a police officer didn't find two people standing outside of its closed office apparently talking, again at 5am, to be suspicious behavior.

Not sure how you rate motels,poster, but the above items are a sign, at least to me, of this not being a good area to be in early in the morning. Especially for an apparently unarmed woman w/ two children.

2) You pointed out two examples of MEN traveling w/ their families to a destination. That wasn't the case here. Ms. Ray was traveling w/ two children and no male adult. Traveling w/o another adult, at night, was for her, a risky proposition for multiple reasons.

3) Even if Ms. Ray was frustrated by a key not being left out for her (a fact, I have to remind you, was only presented by a person in this forum and not by any news accounts or by the UM segment) the reactions she had to it were, at best, not very rational. Rather than going to a chain motel in her car, or going to a truck stop/restaurant and waiting the few hours at most until daylight, she decides to walk on foot between multiple motels that would have either displayed "No Vacancy" signs or would have been visibly closed (no lights,locked doors,etc).

She also didn't go to a payphone to call her spouse and let him know that she had arrived. She didn't just sit in her car w/ the doors locked at the motel and wait for it to open. She decided to engage a complete stranger in what had to be a rather useless conversation in a parking lot at 5am. She then left her children alone for a reason that remains unknown and walked out of sight around the side of a motel with which she was unfamiliar. These actions created the situation that, sadly, some psycho took advantage of and she disappeared.

And here's last one: She obviously saw the police car driving by the motel. If she was concerned about being locked out of the motel, why didn't she simply flag down the officer and ask him for assistance? While I know that the police aren't tour guides and that they are busy, it would have been a far more prudent move than chatting w/ a total stranger in parking lot at 5am.

If you worry about "insulting" people when you are trying solve a mystery, then you are doing them a disservice as you aren't giving 100% effort towards solving that mystery.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #75
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

You are right- we can agree to disagree.