Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #151
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The guy had to be posing as a hotel employee, not to mention be very convincing.
Yet another reason to look into Oba Chandler's whereabouts at the time as he was known to be a smooth talker who could easily gain your trust.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #152
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

Does anyone around here have the time/search skills to do that?

I remember pamela's daughter coming and posting here some time back. IIRC, she said that LE told the family that there is an inmate that will never be out of prison that they are sure killed PJR but they don't have the evidence to prosecute. Daughter couldn't tell us his name. Now I wonder if indeed this might be Oba Chandler she was speaking of.

I told my husband of your theory it could be Oba but I didn't think so because of no place nearby to dock the boat. But he said with the right boat he would have been able to drop anchor very close to the beach and walk to the motel.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #153
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarney Rose
Does anyone around here have the time/search skills to do that?

I remember pamela's daughter coming and posting here some time back. IIRC, she said that LE told the family that there is an inmate that will never be out of prison that they are sure killed PJR but they don't have the evidence to prosecute. Daughter couldn't tell us his name. Now I wonder if indeed this might be Oba Chandler she was speaking of.

I told my husband of your theory it could be Oba but I didn't think so because of no place nearby to dock the boat. But he said with the right boat he would have been able to drop anchor very close to the beach and walk to the motel.
I'm not saying that it definitely IS Oba Chandler, but it definitely could have been if he was around the area at the time of the incident.

I don't think the fact that there wasn't a boat dock near is relevant because he could have very well killed PJR without using the boat as bait, however, the fact that PJR's body has never been recovered could lend to the belief that if Chandler did it, he may have had his boat waiting for him somewhere and dumped her body into the water at the nearby beach area.

I'm also not sure that the suspect they believe killed her is Oba Chandler because what evidence would they have that leads them to Chandler other then pure speculation? Without a murder weapon or body, its tough to say it was anyone and be sure about it and according the PJR's daughter, LE seems pretty sure it was this "mystery person".
Old 07-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #154
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

IIRC, (and I'm too lazy/tired to go back and search) someone posted on here and stated that Chandler was in a different state around the same time Pamela went missing. And I don't believe he was the suspect mentioned on the Charley Project website, or they most likely would have named him. I wonder what her husband and kids are up to these days.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #155
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryStacks
i just think that when she screamed her kids were sleeping and therefore dint hear the screams.....however its troubling to believe that no one in the hotel area dint hear the screams...my feeling was that she was abducted and possibly raped and murdered. This is a sad case for sure....
I don't get how you hear someone screaming for help - not just loud shouting which could be an argument or anything, but specifically HELP, and you just turn over and go back to bed. What about getting in your car and going to a place where there is a phone, or were there no phone in this entire city. That's like another UM case, or maybe another show where the neighbors heard a woman across the street screaming and screaming for help, and they turn to each other and say, "Wow, it sounds like someone needs help," and then they went back to sleep. I wanted to slap those two.

Still, I wonder about these late night circumstances. I would think that a woman at 3:30 am or early in the morning would ever leave her kids in the car with all of her identification. I don't know what that man promised her, but the whole interaction seems strange. I feel that he might have invited her to "talk", maybe he said he was in the same situation as she was, and she might have thought, what harm could it do, the kids were asleep anyway, they had to wait together until morning, he seems friendly, and thinking she wasn't going anywhere, she didn't take anything with her. Then once she was in the car, he pulls a gun or a knife. I am surprised that the kids didn't even stir at the sound of screams.

Actually, I'm reading other posts, and I think the idea that he suggested he had information about her room, or a way to contact the people who worked at the front desk (she may not have known the rooms didn't have phones) seems very plausible. I do want to suggest, in any way, that she was a bad mother. It's possible she trusted him, some psychopaths are extremely friendly until they "turn" and he may have offered her some help, which, given the time and how tired she was, she gladly welcomed.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #156
economistman192
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
I'm not trying to "read things into this." I have just looked at this case from several different angles and have seen more than a few things that didn't make sense to me.

Does that mean that I'm right? No, it doesn't. However this case been "cold" for almost twenty years, which is frankly ridiculous as there seem to have been a number of leads.
It's past time that a new look is taken at the available evidence and that may include new theories about the crime and the victim.

As to the payphones and smoking - I'm 44, so I remember having to use a payphone when I didn't have a cell phone. It was often an unpleasant experience, but I was glad to have one available. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that people who heard screams (according to them) at 5 am would not be concerned that those screams could mean something that could cause them harm. Which, coupled w/ the fact that no one used a payphone to call the police, is another sign of the low quality of the area that the Wilhite was in.

And as I stated, not having a phone in the rooms is a sign of a low-end establishment, as both Motel 6 and Knight's Inn (two low budget motel brands) both had phones in their motel rooms in the mid 80's. People not being as attached to phones as today doesn't really cut it: whether or not you are "attached" to a phone doesn't really matter if you have a medical emergency.

As far as smoking, I believe I did note that people could smoke in the rooms at that time, but people often went outside to smoke as to not disturb the people that were in the room w/ them sleeping. Well...some had enough respect for others to do that; I can't speak to the jerks that didn't.

I don't know why Ms. Ray decided to make the trip to PCB w/ her children alone. I don't know why she didn't make reservations in advance nor do I know why she didn't simply park her vehicle at a truck stop or all night restaurant and wait until morning when the hotels would be open. The only people that would know most of those things are Ms. Ray and her family, and the family didn't seem to be too forthcoming during the segment.

The bottom line is (I like writing that) that if you have a mystery you have failed to solve after extended period using traditional methods you really only have two choices: Use new methods or completely rethink the mystery. If that means looking deeper into the background of the victim and finding unpleasant things that may exist, then that's part of life.

A lot people seem to have pre-conceived notions of how the world works and easily dismiss narratives that may paint pictures of crimes, criminals and victims that don't comfortably fit into those notions. Honestly, if people can't look at crimes w/o a heavy dose of skepticism, a degree impartiality and thorough understanding of the dark sides of human nature, they probably shouldn't try to solve mysteries as they'll simply waste time and effort.
Actually, I have to say, perhaps PCB was on a budget, choosing a hotel like that. But I actually think it's not great judgement to stay at a hotel where there are no phones. I traveled with my family during the 80's and while cell phones have definitely changed the world in terms of convenience, we're not talking about the 1880's here. If you have children and anything goes wrong or there is an emergency, having access to a phone during an emergency can make a difference. I can understand the points about this not being necessarily a "seedy" area, but without knowing the area, it does make me wonder if there was another type of motel/hotel to consider. For example, hotels that may not have a room available, but who would never turn away a mother and her two tired, underage children, and would allow them to at least stay in the lobby for the night. Motels are dodgy unless you can check in before it gets dark, I think, or at least midnight (that's why some of them close) - and that includes that fact that the rooms are outside with access to the public and whoever hangs out at 3 in the morning. Even if everything went fine and you get a key, I don't think it is a good idea to check into a motel without outside stairs in the middle of the night where something could happen on the way to your room, especially on the second floor where you have to use the dark stairs. I wish the cop had stopped and asked her if everything was all right. She might have said yes, but at least he would have gotten a look at the man's face.
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #157
baloony
Forum Regular

21 years later, still unsolved.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #158
baloony
Forum Regular

Quote:
IIRC, (and I'm too lazy/tired to go back and search) someone posted on here and stated that Chandler was in a different state around the same time Pamela went missing. And I don't believe he was the suspect mentioned on the Charley Project website, or they most likely would have named him. I wonder what her husband and kids are up to these days.
Interesting indeed.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #159
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I think we have a good suspect in her disappearance. Seems like this guy abducted and murdered several women in the PCB area in the late 80's early 90's.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/2...165926136.html

He was also connected in the abduction and murder of Donna Callahan (featured in the Debra Poe UM segment). He was tried and convicted of her murder. Investigators also got a tip that Ray's remains may have been buried near where Donna Callahan's were found (just 30 yards away!). Unfortunately, they found nothing. It does seem like (in the eyes of investigators) that it's still possible that Pam ran away because of the financial trouble her family was in. I highly doubt she would still stay away after all of these years from her family over something that happened over twenty years ago.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #160
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

I have wondered if he is the person Ray's daughter was speaking of when she posted here.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #161
Hambone2421

Quote:
I think we have a good suspect in her disappearance. Seems like this guy abducted and murdered several women in the PCB area in the late 80's early 90's.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/2...165926136.html

He was also connected in the abduction and murder of Donna Callahan (featured in the Debra Poe UM segment). He was tried and convicted of her murder. Investigators also got a tip that Ray's remains may have been buried near where Donna Callahan's were found (just 30 yards away!). Unfortunately, they found nothing. It does seem like (in the eyes of investigators) that it's still possible that Pam ran away because of the financial trouble her family was in. I highly doubt she would still stay away after all of these years from her family over something that happened over twenty years ago.
Excellent find, man!

I don't buy the whole "running away" thing. That seems like a cop out (no un intended) for local law enforcement so they can stop investigating the case.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #162
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Excellent find, man!

I don't buy the whole "running away" thing. That seems like a cop out (no un intended) for local law enforcement so they can stop investigating the case.
I think that the "running away" theory was probably looked at more seriously immediately after Pamela disappeared, but now that theory seems highly unlikely in the eyes of LE. I think they believe this Mark Riebe guy is responsible, but they just can't prove it was him 100% yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #163
Hambone2421

Quote:
I think that the "running away" theory was probably looked at more seriously immediately after Pamela disappeared, but now that theory seems highly unlikely in the eyes of LE. I think they believe this Mark Riebe guy is responsible, but they just can't prove it was him 100% yet.
I like to think my LE and law background/knowledge is pretty good, but I have never heard of Mark Riebe.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #164
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I like to think my LE and law background/knowledge is pretty good, but I have never heard of Mark Riebe.
He was mentioned in the article I posted a couple of posts above.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #165
Hambone2421

Quote:
He was mentioned in the article I posted a couple of posts above.
Yea I know. What I mean is, when I saw his name, it didn't ring a bell.