Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #61
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

Send a message via Yahoo to MariposaLKB

Quote:

1) The Sheriff does seems dodgy. However, he is one of the longest running Sheriffs in America today (I think he is STILL the Sheriff there), which means a lot of people like him. Typically corrupt Sheriffs do not last too long. People aren't going to put up with it and will vote them out.

Thiussat:

Yes, he IS still the sheriff. I live in the area in which this case occurred and there was a pretty serious campaign against him in the last election, but from what I understand (not being a lifelong resident of Pickaway County), it has been 75 years of Radcliffes!
But no one ever listens...

-Butterfly (Mariposa)
MariposaLKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #62
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaLKB
Quote:

1) The Sheriff does seems dodgy. However, he is one of the longest running Sheriffs in America today (I think he is STILL the Sheriff there), which means a lot of people like him. Typically corrupt Sheriffs do not last too long. People aren't going to put up with it and will vote them out.

Thiussat:

Yes, he IS still the sheriff. I live in the area in which this case occurred and there was a pretty serious campaign against him in the last election, but from what I understand (not being a lifelong resident of Pickaway County), it has been 75 years of Radcliffes!
Did you live in the area during the time of the letters?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #63
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

No, I was a child and had recently moved to Ohio, but didn't move to the Circleville area until a couple years after I was married--a compromise, being about halfway between where I grew up and where my husband did. I have seen this UM segment, though now my recollections are very sketchy and I have not had the patience to wade through all the information on here. We watched UM religiously when it first came on TV, but I had forgotten details of any of the cases profiled, apart from reading (and very occasionally commenting on) the discussions here, or seeing the same stories on more recent shows like Disappeared. I tried watching the newer version of UM with Dennis Farina, but I never liked him on Law and Order and I still don't LOL!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #64
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

i wonder if anyone knows if the letters have stopped and if Mary Gillispie is still with that Superattendent (cant spell it sorry) of schools and if they are even still investigating the case??? Anyways, this is a very tough case and the only thing i can think of is to look at the letters and ask themselves about how this person knows Gillispie and how they knew of an affair (if it did happen which most of us now guess did)
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #65
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

I've gone back through this forum again now and I see that people were asking if mail from Circleville went through Columbus. I know it does now. Don't think it did back then, but it was mentioned Paul worked in Columbus. However, I can see the points of those who think maybe someone was trying to frame him. It's not that far from Circleville to Columbus--most of us do at least some of our mall shopping or movie-going up there. Probably more so back then, before there was a Walmart here LOL! And this is really a "bedroom community" of Columbus--only a couple of factories and a bunch of family-run downtown businesses right here. So someone else could have been mailing letters while going to work or running errands.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #66
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

What motive would Freshour have (if he were in fact the sole letter writer) in trying to stop the affair between Mary and the superintendent? It just doesn't make sense as to why Freshour would even care about the alleged affair, it was his sister-in-law, not even a blood relative.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #67
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

^Good point. Like I said I didn't live here at the time, and since we moved from town out into the county before we had kids, I don't know anything about Circleville city schools even now. Was the superintendent's name ever mentioned? I would like to see if it is one I recognize as being from a family that is still prominent here.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #68
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I also seem to remember some discussion about what the letters said on these forums and how people deciphered them by pausing the UM segment. I remember how the letters seem to indicate that the superintendent's wife is a good woman and how by keeping up the affair would be destroying her. That to me indicates the letter writer was close to the superintendent's wife, or may have even been the wife herself. Or it could have been a disgruntled member of the school board. I just don't see how Freshour could be connected to any of this. He obviously wouldn't be overly concerned with the superintendent's wife's feelings.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #69
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
What motive would Freshour have (if he were in fact the sole letter writer) in trying to stop the affair between Mary and the superintendent? It just doesn't make sense as to why Freshour would even care about the alleged affair, it was his sister-in-law, not even a blood relative.
Exactly. As I have said in previous posts, this is why I think the writer is very likely a woman. And I see 3 possible women as being responsible:

1) Superintendent's wife

2) Paul's wife (who was the sister of the dead guy -- Ron)

3) Mary herself doing it as a ruse to cover up for Ron's death.

There is a person on that video site who says that they lived in Circleville at the time and actually had met Mary Gillespie (they said she is a "nice woman"). HA HA

At any rate, this person said that the letters were mainly being sent to people associated with the school. They said pretty much every faculty member at the school got the letters. This leads me to rethink my theory about Paul's wife and/or Mary being responsible. I am now thinking a lot about the superintendent's wife. However, I find it weird that the UM segment did not even mention his wife (was the guy even married?).

I think a possibility is the letter writer and booby-trap setter were two different people. The letters got to the point where they were disrupting the lives of Freshour and the Gillespies to a point where the booby-trap stuff came later after everyone got worked up.

One thing is for sure, none of us will ever solve it unless we can read the letters and know exactly who all the different suspects were.

I GUESS THE JOKE IS ON US: THEY TOLD US TWO YEARS AGO WHEN WE SET THEM UP THEY STAY SET-UP: HA HA: WE ARE NOTHING BUT PIGS: HA HA: THE SHERIFF IS LOVING THIS:
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #70
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Exactly. As I have said in previous posts, this is why I think the writer is very likely a woman.
Why do you think a woman is more likely than a man to have written those letters specifically?

Quote:
And I see 3 possible women as being responsible:

1) Superintendent's wife

As you mentioned, none of us know if the superintendent was married or not. Ron died right after the letters began (how is this a ruse to cover up the actual circumstances of Ron's death? If anything, wouldn't that exacerbate things for Mary?), and what motive would Freshour's wife have to send the letters?

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #71
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
As you mentioned, none of us know if the superintendent was married or not. Ron died right after the letters began (how is this a ruse to cover up the actual circumstances of Ron's death? If anything, wouldn't that exacerbate things for Mary?), and what motive would Freshour's wife have to send the letters?
Well the letters actually do implicate that the superintendent was in fact married, and that his wife was a good woman. I paused the segment once while watching it and read everything I could and it seemed like whomever was writing the letters was appalled at how anyone could cheat on such a good, wholesome woman as the superintendent's wife (at least that is what was implied in the letters). So that would lead to speculation that it was either the wife herself, or someone very close to her. Freshour's wife could have a motive for writing the letters by knowing that her brother's wife was having an affair with someone and she wanted to put an end to it before it was brought out publically. That actually makes more sense to me, that instead of confronting her head on causing a irreconcilable rift in the family, she anonymously attempted to put an end to the affair by writing the letters.

Last edited by TheCars1986; 07-29-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #72
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

I am having NO luck finding anything online from the local papers about this case. The superintendent (maybe his wife) and other faculty members of Circleville schools were part of either the cause (the affair) or the effects (the letters), so I would think names got out somewhere. I am "not from around here" originally, as they might say--so wouldn't know who or how to ask, and probably wouldn't get answers if I did--and haven't seen the UM episode in years. So it is really bugging me--was the superintendent named on the episode, or is there any other site (like a newspaper's online archive) that might name him? I don't intend to confront anyone--like I said I am not a "local" and not that kind of person anyhow. Just curious, since there are a few families who sort of crop up in everything (good or bad) around here LOL (Freshour is not a name I recognize from anything else but this case, though.)
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #73
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Why do you think a woman is more likely than a man to have written those letters specifically?
Because of the letter's contents. The word "pig" is used a lot and that is a phrase more likely to be used by a woman, imo. I have heard women use the phrase a lot and very rarely a man.

Secondly, I don't think most men really care about women having affairs with other men. It's like the guy above said, men just don't care that much unless it's their own wife. And let's face it, men just aren't as much of "busy bodies" as women are. This is why I get a distinct vibe that these letters are a result of a "woman scorned."

Quote:
As you mentioned, none of us know if the superintendent was married or not. Ron died right after the letters began (how is this a ruse to cover up the actual circumstances of Ron's death? If anything, wouldn't that exacerbate things for Mary?),
It could have been the plan of Mary all along. Write the letters to cover up the fact she wanted Ron dead and then make it look like the crazed letter writer did it. So she started writing the letters before he was killed and then later had him killed. Granted, this is one of the more far-fetched scenarios, I readily admit that.

Quote:
and what motive would Freshour's wife have to send the letters?
Because Ron was her brother! This is why I think Paul's wife is suspect #1. She would have the easiest access to Paul's gun of anybody and she has a bigger motive than almost anybody to hate Mary. I think Paul himself knew about her letter campaign and probably even joined in at some point. Whether it was he or his wife who planted the booby trap is open for speculation. I also have wondered if the El Camino guy was her and Ron's brother (the reporter said he was the brother of someone but didn't say who).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaLKB
I am having NO luck finding anything online from the local papers about this case. The superintendent (maybe his wife) and other faculty members of Circleville schools were part of either the cause (the affair) or the effects (the letters), so I would think names got out somewhere. I am "not from around here" originally, as they might say--so wouldn't know who or how to ask, and probably wouldn't get answers if I did--and haven't seen the UM episode in years. So it is really bugging me--was the superintendent named on the episode, or is there any other site (like a newspaper's online archive) that might name him? I don't intend to confront anyone--like I said I am not a "local" and not that kind of person anyhow. Just curious, since there are a few families who sort of crop up in everything (good or bad) around here LOL (Freshour is not a name I recognize from anything else but this case, though.)
If you pause the segment and look at one of the letters up close, you will see the name "Massie." The first letter they show on the segment actually starts by saying:

Quote:
STAY AWAY FROM MASSIE:

DON'T LIE WHEN QUESTIONED ABOUT HIM:
So, there's your lead! Massie. The letters have quite a few misspellings and grammatical mistakes. In another letter they misspell the word "strictly" as "strickly." There are numerous other examples too. Actually, upon looking at the writing of one of the letters, it looks like the script changes mid-way through. It's almost as if two people were sitting down together in tandem.

Last edited by Thiussat; 01-26-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #74
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

Thanks for that, Thiussat! As I said, I have not seen the segment in years and if it is online somewhere I was not aware of it. That last name figures in the name of a(n) (unincorporated?) town around here somewhere, so was probably a well-known family at one time like I thought.

EDIT: Now I see why I haven't been able to find a name when using superintendent of Circleville schools as a search term. He was not superintendent of the city schools, but of one of the rural districts in Pickaway county. An archived thread (which I didn't know Sitcoms Online had) was the first thing I got just now when I Googled Superintendent Massie and Circleville schools.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #75
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiussat
Exactly. As I have said in previous posts, this is why I think the writer is very likely a woman. And I see 3 possible women as being responsible:
1) Superintendent's wife

One thing is for sure, none of us will ever solve it unless we can read the letters and know exactly who all the different suspects were.

I GUESS THE JOKE IS ON US: THEY TOLD US TWO YEARS AGO WHEN WE SET THEM UP THEY STAY SET-UP: HA HA: WE ARE NOTHING BUT PIGS: HA HA: THE SHERIFF IS LOVING THIS:
first off, Thiussat, i agree that the writer COULD be a woman, anyways, i think the person who set the trap COULD be the same, but also could not be the same, i cant answer that. As for the suspects, all are good ideas, BUT who why would Paul's wife kill Ron??? if she didnt kill Ron, then all she did is write the letters and someone else killed Ron. As for the Superintendent's wife, i could see that and same with Mary herself.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote