Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series
Search Party Moving to HBO Max for Seasons 3 and 4; Disney Gets More Gabby Duran & the Unsittables

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #46
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

I believe Paul is innocent, one reason is the letters continued to come when he was in prison and i know what you said about someone else helping write them, but if that person did, wouldnt they have to write EXACTLY like Paul?? it's NOT easy to do that, i think it had to be someone either in the family besides Paul or how about the other half of the affair?? what about HIS family members???? by the way, i FULLY believe the writer when he accused them of an affair, but the fact is, whoever this writer is got away with a serious crime and needs to be found.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #47
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
You make an interesting point but as I have pointed out before (as I believe Paul Freshhour to be guilty), he could have written several letters before he went to prison, then had a friend or an accomplice drive all over the state and mail them from different spots to make it look like the writer is still out there.
That is true, but weren't the letters thought to be relevant at the time? In other words those letters seemed to be accurate at that time they were sent. If Paul did it before hand, how could he have predicted the future?
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
Priddo
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
That is true, but weren't the letters thought to be relevant at the time? In other words those letters seemed to be accurate at that time they were sent. If Paul did it before hand, how could he have predicted the future?
I believe you're correct, which makes that unlikely. I guess he could have written lots and only had ones sent that were ccorrect, but that would take a massive amount of work, there's just no way that'd be doable for one man.
Priddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #49
Mastermind

To me the key to this case lies in the gun booby trap.

In a bizzare case, this is the most bizarre thing in it.

The only thing that makes sense is that whomever sent it wanted Paul Freshour to be convicted of being the Circleville Writer.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #50
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
To me the key to this case lies in the gun booby trap.

In a bizzare case, this is the most bizarre thing in it.

The only thing that makes sense is that whomever sent it wanted Paul Freshour to be convicted of being the Circleville Writer.
Can you elaborate on that? Why do you feel that the booby trap is the key?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #51
MissFit29
Forum Regular

My guess is because the booby trap had Paul Freshour's gun in it.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #52
Priddo
Occasional Poster

Which seemed like an obvious attempt to set him up, to me. Which means you'd have to look at people who wanted to get some sort of revenge on him.
Priddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #53
VikingsGal
Frequent Poster

Is this a closed case for local police? If not, could there be a new team to look at the evidence with new DNA technology available?

I never thought Paul Freshour was guilty. There was just something about him that I believed. And he went to prison and the letters kept coming even after he was in solitary, right?
VikingsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #54
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddo
Which seemed like an obvious attempt to set him up, to me
Seriously. I don't know the man, personally, but he'd have to be a complete moron to use a pistol that can be tracked back to him in any way.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #55
VikingsGal
Frequent Poster

I did a little searching myself and I did not realize this all started in 1976! No wonder it is such a cold case.

But there have been cold cases older than that which have been solved.
VikingsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #56
Mastermind

Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? Why do you feel that the booby trap is the key?
1. If the writer wanted to kill Mary..he couldn;t have used a more inefficient method. What were the odds that the gun would go off or that Mary would be the one to set it off. Yet, there still was a possibility that Mary could die, so he did have some willingness to kill Mary Gillespie. It's almost like the setter of the trap was more interested in the gun being found and had no problem with Mary's death being a side benefit.

2. Why would Paul Freshour file his gun;s serial numbers half way?. Why not finish the job. Was he that sloppy?

3. As mentioned by other posters, why would he use his own gun for a booby trap that could easily fail and leave behind such critical evidence.

4. What about the whole situation prompted this attempted murder. Before the trap there had not been a direct threat against Mary. Now this. What changed? What did Mary do to prompt this?

5. If you think about it..there is not improbable that the booby trap was never set at all. That Mary faked the booby trap and used this as an attempt to frame Paul Freshour.

6. As bizzare as this case was, everything leading up to the booby trap was fairly normal as harassment cases go. The booby trap adds an even more bizarre layer.

7. Maybe this is just me..but the booby trap indicates to me that the writer may be psychotic. I would think in order to go through something like that for all the risks....it seems a lot like an unstable person who has beef with Mary borders on obsessive.

8. Again maybe I am too close to the Zodiac case, but the Circleville Writer always reminded me of the zodiac killer. Creating a booby trap in order to frame someone else and the writing a letter to said person while he is in jail sounds like something Zodiac would do. I would not be surprised if this whole letter writing campaign was inspired by the Zodiac Letters.

In short i believe the booby trap may indicate

1. That the writer (or someone) else was attempting to frame Paul Freshour for the crime.

2. That the writer may be psychotic. Which makes this case very frightening if the writer simply chose the Freshours simply because he had acquired knowledge of the affair. Small towns are ripe for gossip. The writer could easily have picked up on this rumour through any number of venues.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #57
Wamisto
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I highly doubt there is anything new on this case and I doubt that there is any DNA left. I mean, we are talking about something that happened almost 30 years ago. .
I don't know, they pulled DNA from the stamp from one of the Zodiac letters a few years ago, and that letter goes back to the 60s.
Wamisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #58
Mastermind

Quote:
Quote:
I highly doubt there is anything new on this case and I doubt that there is any DNA left. I mean, we are talking about something that happened almost 30 years ago. .

I don't know, they pulled DNA from the stamp from one of the Zodiac letters a few years ago, and that letter goes back to the 60s.
I guess because the Circleville Writer is not a murder case(depending on how you view the death of Mary's husband) there is not a priority to test the Circleville Letters for any DNA.

I can;t blame them either. The writer has not done anything in years. If Freshour did the Letters, then it;s moot since he was already tried. I can;t blame the police for not prioritizing this case over any of their other violent crime cases.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #59
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
1. If the writer wanted to kill Mary..he couldn;t have used a more inefficient method. What were the odds that the gun would go off or that Mary would be the one to set it off. Yet, there still was a possibility that Mary could die, so he did have some willingness to kill Mary Gillespie. It's almost like the setter of the trap was more interested in the gun being found and had no problem with Mary's death being a side benefit.
Interesting.

Quote:
2. Why would Paul Freshour file his gun;s serial numbers half way?. Why not finish the job. Was he that sloppy?
Well, a lot of people think it's easy to file a serial number, but it's NOT. Ask any mafia hitman. It's harder than you think to get an untraceable gun. It's likely Paul was under the impression that filing a serial number (by an amateur like himself) would work.

Quote:
3. As mentioned by other posters, why would he use his own gun for a booby trap that could easily fail and leave behind such critical evidence.
Yes, but the serial was filed. I would agree with you if not for that. If someone was framing Paul, there is NO reason for them to file the serial number.

Quote:
4. What about the whole situation prompted this attempted murder. Before the trap there had not been a direct threat against Mary. Now this. What changed? What did Mary do to prompt this?
Well, the letters were written about Mary. The letters stated that Ron had "better put stop to the affair." This person was obviously angry at Mary (or pretended to be).

Quote:
5. If you think about it..there is not improbable that the booby trap was never set at all. That Mary faked the booby trap and used this as an attempt to frame Paul Freshour.
The problem with this theory is that there are witnesses seeing a man walking around the area about the time the trap was placed (the El Camino guy). And this is not a place where people just walk around -- it was the side of the road.

Don't get me wrong, I have pondered the possibility that Mary herself was behind this whole campaign (and it would be a very clever way to cover up any responsibility for Ron's death -- blame it on the mysterious letter writer), but the facts just don't bear that out. It was Paul's gun and witnesses saw the El Camino at the very spot the trap was placed. Of course, it's possible Mary could have easily stolen Paul's gun and it's also possible the El Camino guy really was just taking a leak (as witnesses said he seemed to be doing). I agree with you that a booby trap is a pretty weird way to kill someone -- it's almost as if someone wanted the booby trap to fail and be recovered. And who would want such a trap discovered? Someone who was trying to get others to believe they were being targeted, of course. And who would that be? The only possibility is Mary herself.

Think about it: Mary had the motive and the means (easy access to the gun). And the letters, while complaining about Mary, were really threatening Ron. That's an important distinction to make. Talk about one helluva Lifetime movie plot!

Of course, this whole scenario is so beyond the pale that I am more inclined to rule out the simpler explanations first (which have not been ruled out by any means).

Quote:
7. Maybe this is just me..but the booby trap indicates to me that the writer may be psychotic.
Maybe. I would say more of an obsessive-compulsive with sociopathic tendencies. They could be psychotic, but there's no evidence of it. Psychosis is when the subject hears voices and sees things that aren't there. Other symptoms are extreme paranoia and delusions. The writer was not delusional since we know Mary was indeed having an affair.

Quote:
8. Again maybe I am too close to the Zodiac case, but the Circleville Writer always reminded me of the zodiac killer. Creating a booby trap in order to frame someone else and the writing a letter to said person while he is in jail sounds like something Zodiac would do. I would not be surprised if this whole letter writing campaign was inspired by the Zodiac Letters.
It's possible. Both are pretty hard to solve, that's for sure. However, I think the Circleville writer could be more easily identified if we were privy to all the info that UM omitted.

Quote:
In short i believe the booby trap may indicate

1. That the writer (or someone) else was attempting to frame Paul Freshour for the crime.
It's possible, and if true, they were fiendishly clever with the filing of the serial number (knowing it would be recovered by experts). I tend to take the "simplest explanation is the best" approach and that is that Paul thought the filing of the serial number would protect his identity. He was wrong.

Quote:
2. That the writer may be psychotic. Which makes this case very frightening if the writer simply chose the Freshours simply because he had acquired knowledge of the affair. Small towns are ripe for gossip. The writer could easily have picked up on this rumour through any number of venues.
I am doubting it (Occam's Razor). I think it was either Paul himself or someone closely related to him (or both in tandem).

EDIT:

I just watched the segment again (it's been a year or so since I had). A few random observations:

1) The Sheriff does seems dodgy. However, he is one of the longest running Sheriffs in America today (I think he is STILL the Sheriff there), which means a lot of people like him. Typically corrupt Sheriffs do not last too long. People aren't going to put up with it and will vote them out.

2) I still think some of the verbiage in the letters sounds like a woman. Women are much more likely to be mad at another woman for having an affair (seriously, us guys don't really care unless it's our own wife. Ladies you know this is true -- there is nothing like the hatred and jealousy some women have for each other). Remember that Paul's wife was Ron's brother. Paul himself had no blood relation. I see no one with a bigger motive for hating Mary than Paul's wife. However, why she wouldn't simply tell Ron about the affair is beyond me. Perhaps she just wanted to humiliate Mary publicly. At any rate, the letters were laced with the noun "pig" quite a lot. I have never heard anyone but a woman call someone a pig. Have you?

3) A lot of the "evidence" was based on the word of Mary. For instance, it was her that claimed another bus driver told her that there was a man in an El Camino. The segment never said whether the other bus driver corroborated this story. It was Mary who claimed Paul's wife told her Paul was writing the letters. Again, the segment never said whether Paul's wife admitted that she really did tell Mary that. And third: the booby trap, as far as we know, was seen by no one else but Mary (remember, Mary would have relatively easy access to Paul's gun).

4) Paul thought he was protecting a family member when he did the handwriting test. I think this person was his own wife, or perhaps his wife's brother (maybe Ron had a brother who drove an El Camino). The person in the El Camino has to be connected directly to the family somehow. What this connection is we don't know from the segment since UM seemed to refuse to name names.

5) If Sheriff Radcliffe was involved in any wrong-doing (that is if he is covering for someone), why would the letter writer write a letter to UM telling them to "not bother Sheriff Radcliffe?" This seems rather stupid to out your partner in crime like that.

6) One of the letters to Paul in prison said "The Sheriff is loving this" or something to that effect (you have to pause it to read the text). This was in relation to the Sheriff convincing the warden to put Paul in solitary. Again, if it really were the Sheriff why would he implicate himself in the letters? (The letters make it seem as if the writer is not the Sheriff himself, but in cahoots with the Sheriff). But, again, why out you partner in crime like that?

7) This same letter to Paul said "I told you two years ago when we set them up they stay set up." This person is claiming to have told Paul this two years ago. Surely this must give Paul some idea as to who this might be. The letter makes it sound like the author is either the Sheriff or one of his deputies, but they would have to be stupid to implicate themselves in the letters.

8) If Mary was a "loose" woman, it is possible she was one of those women looking to hook up with a "big fish" in town (I know plenty of women like this). It's possible she wasn't only having an affair with the superintendent but also, gasp, the Sheriff. I, of course, am only speculating but this is the only motive I can think of for the Sheriff to be involved in this (but it wouldn't explain the hatred for Mary in the letters, unless, as I said before, Mary hatched this plan to take suspicion off herself for Ron's death).

As someone else has said, it is pretty clear Paul wrote some of the letters -- the newspaper article says he admitted to "40 or 50" and another poster pointed out they he filed no contest on this charge. So we have a scenario of Paul having an accomplice or a scenario where someone whom Paul knew began their own letter writing campaign after he was in prison (Paul's ex-wife perhaps?) An angry ex-wife might explain the vitriol towards Paul in the prison letters and might explain the "I told you two years ago" comment. Whatever the case, I am 100% convinced Paul wrote some of the letters but not all of them (especially the ones that came to him in prison as it would be impossible for him to write them to himself, obviously). Another possible letter suspect is the El Camino guy (who I think was blood related to Paul's wife and Ron, but the segment didn't say who he was, so I am speculating on his connection to the family).

Bottom line: we can only speculate until someone comes forward and produces some of the letters for public consumption. I would also like someone in Ohio to dig out the court transcripts to his trial. Since the journalist in the segment had them, anyone can have them.

Last edited by Thiussat; 01-23-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #60
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

i am pretty sure he did NOT admit to it and i wouldnt either, first off, why admit it even if you spent all that time in prison??? you dont. Anyways, do i think he did it, honestly, no, BUT it's possible he did write the letters, but as of now, i still say no, BUT if he didnt write them, who did?? as for the writer, he SEEMS to be right about the affiar though.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote