Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschooler81
Eddie isn't any better than she is either, since he didn't refuse to do it.
Exactly. They paint him out to be a dumb redneck in the segment but the truth is he's a cold blooded murderer. He is just as guilty if not more considering he pulled the trigger himself.

So sad, the the older couple seemed like such a nice couple too by all accounts. This was 1991, they were married 35 years? It's too bad.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

Yes. I definitely agree. Eddie was just as bad as Cheryl, maybe worse. Especially because he could have walked away from the plan anytime he wanted to or at least tried to talk her out of it, but he didn't. I think he saw dollar signs flashing before his eyes, just like the wife did. It's such a shame that a couple that were loved by so many people had to meet such a tragic end!
lilmissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphs95
I think perhaps Cheryl was a druggie and her aunt and uncle bailed her out before because they loved her. This time, they were doing the tough love bit and that POed Cheryl off to the brink.
I think that's the best possible explanation. I keep thinking of Dwayne McCorkendale, shot in the back for approximately $25, possibly by a group of people who were trolling truck stops and asking drivers if "they had any dope", among other odd things.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissd
Yes. I definitely agree. Eddie was just as bad as Cheryl, maybe worse. Especially because he could have walked away from the plan anytime he wanted to or at least tried to talk her out of it, but he didn't. I think he saw dollar signs flashing before his eyes, just like the wife did. It's such a shame that a couple that were loved by so many people had to meet such a tragic end!
I agree. Of course any murder or death (especially before someone's "time") is tragic, but especially when it was so pointless and avoidable like this.

They were probably about 55 or so back in 1991, and I realized had this not happened, they could've STILL been operating that store today! Maybe reduced to part time or with additional help, but still. When I first watched the segment Stack's line about "They were such a fixture, everyone assumed they'd be there forever" really stuck with me. The Harveys seemed like the picture of small town friendliness.

P.S. I wonder if Cheryl was involved with drugs and no one else (except the Harveys) knew about it? That would explain how they initlally stuck by her in the segment interviews.
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissd
I agree as well. I mean Eddie had the gun. He had the power, if he refused I believe that would have been that. The crime wouldn't have happend. He went ahead with it and was just or even more as guilty.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
Jason K
Frequent Poster

Does anyone ever know what punishment she received? The update ends by saying she could receive the death penalty.
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
deuce5000
Frequent Poster

I did a search on the Tennessee Dept. of Corrections website. "Cheryl Lee Holland" is listed as having been sentenced on 2/26/1992 and eligible for parole on 6/11/2020. I also found a snippet through Google that said she pled guilty to two counts (I assume murder).

Likely, she avoided the death penalty and instead received life with a chance of parole after a predetermined amount of time (maybe 30 years, or possibly longer, but with the stipulation that her parole hearing would be moved up if she were model prisoner).
deuce5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
Breakaway
Occasional Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Breakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5000
I did a search on the Tennessee Dept. of Corrections website. "Cheryl Lee Holland" is listed as having been sentenced on 2/26/1992 and eligible for parole on 6/11/2020. I also found a snippet through Google that said she pled guilty to two counts (I assume murder).

Likely, she avoided the death penalty and instead received life with a chance of parole after a predetermined amount of time (maybe 30 years, or possibly longer, but with the stipulation that her parole hearing would be moved up if she were model prisoner).
I searched the Tennessee Dept. of Corrections myself. I found that Eddie Wooten is eligible for parole beginning the year before Cheryl.
Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

Where did the "Cheryl had a drug problem" stuff come from? I missed that.
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
Gelatinous Goo
Frequent Poster

The drug angle sounds to be entirely speculative. I've heard nothing of the sort. It just seems like too plausible an excuse to not consider.

I don't care why she did it. She deserved a far harsher consideration than she received. And, on top of it all, her uncle said that all would be forgiven if she just came home. Talk about turning the other cheek. She doesn't deserve that family. There have been discussions in the past as to who we'd like to meet from UM segments. The Holland family really comes to mind when recalling the uncle's comments.
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #26
Drakken
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
It's also possible that Chery Holland was a sociopath. Maybe this need for money just brought that mentality out of her.
There's no maybe here : definitely psychopath.

The couple was executed and Cheryl Holland manipulated her husband to do the trick for her. He is guilty, yes, but Cheryl was the mastermind and had neither remorse nor even loyalty, as she left her husband and her children afterwards for a fling.

When you coldly kill love ones in the way for a cold-blooded reason, here money, with no remorse, without any provocation or circumstances making it a crime of passion, it is clear that she was a psychopath, and her husband at least someone with an abherrent, yet co-dependent personality.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
RobinW

I've never heard anything official about a drug angle, but I can believe Cheryl Holland had severe drug problems for the simple reason that she looked a LOT older than she really was! I was shocked when they said she was only 27 years old since the pictures they showed made her look like she was in her fourties.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
DJ_Foxx
Frequent Poster

This case reminds me of the old fable about the goose that layed the golden eggs. For those unfamiliar with the tale, this is it in a nutshell. A man has a goose that lays him one golden egg a day. The man starts thinking about all the riches he could have if he could get all the eggs he could rather than ust one that the goose was laying per day. Greed takes over and he decides to cut the goose open to get all the golden eggs inside of her. He kills her, cuts her open but to his dismay she's just a regular goose. Now poor guy hasno more goose and therefore no more golden eggs. Moral: Greed really doesn't pay.

I think that's the case here. Rather than keep getting the few bucks from her aunt and uncle, she decided to just have them killed and get all the money they had. I don't think she and her birdbrain boyfriend ever found the rest of their money and in the end, all they got was a one way ticket to prison!
DJ_Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #29
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
I've never heard anything official about a drug angle, but I can believe Cheryl Holland had severe drug problems for the simple reason that she looked a LOT older than she really was! I was shocked when they said she was only 27 years old since the pictures they showed made her look like she was in her fourties.
Heck, she did. Drugs and alcohol or just hard living seem to age people fastest. That's one of those times where the real person and the actor looked nothing alike. When I was 12-13 I sorta crushed on the girl portraying her, and when I saw what the real Cheryl looked like I was taken aback, lol.

On a completely serious note, I wonder what made her suddenly snap. No matter how broke or stressed she was, chances are she didn't become a sociopathic murderer overnight. It seems plausible she would've been on drugs to be not thinking clearly at the time.

In the reenactment, she tells Eddie "Do you think they're just gonna hand over the money?" Even when I first saw it, I was thinking Why wouldn't they? At least ask! The segment also said how close the Harveys were to Cheryl, I wonder if perhaps they didn't like Eddie, and that put some strain on the relationship?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #30
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Yes, Eddie is eligible for parole in 2019, Cheryl in 2020. However under the laws they were sentenced under (which have since been changed) their parole date gets closer and closer with good time credit. Eddie is now 49 years old, having been born on October 27th, 1960. He is currently in the Northeast Correctional Complex in Mountain City, Tennessee. His parole eligibility date is January 15th, 2019.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote