Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
sugarbaby
Frequent Poster

Default Doreen and Stephen Marfeo

Just a quick question.....as I was re-watching (again!) UM favorites #4 on my snow-day off, I was hoping Crystaldawn or someone could help me on what happend with Stephen Mafero and his missing wife Dorene. Basically she went missing, his story did not match up with what the police thought had happen, he wrote a couple of weird letters to the police, and the segment ended with Stephen not knowing what happend to his wife and he was the only suspect. Then there was an update at the end, saying that in 1999 Stephen had died from a self-inflicted gunshot but then it was cut off!!

What else did the update say? Did he do it? Did he leave a note? And where is Dorene? Can anyone help?
sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Sugarbaby, while it is officially unknown whether Stephen murdered Doreen, the odds are he did because that update, if you were to ever see the complete version, it would say in 1999, he shot and killed his girlfriend or maybe it was his ex-girlfriend, but it was a woman he had been recently dating. Appaerantly Marfeo was drunk and stalking her and he killed her and shot and wounded her boyfriend than Marfeo drove off into Connecticut where his car was later found and he had shot himself. He left a note but didnt confess to killing Doreen in it.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Hi Sugarbaby,

From my understanding, Marfeo killed his girlfriend before killing himself with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He maintained his innocence in the Doreen Marfeo disappearance until he died.

Doreen has never been found.

I hope that helps. A lot of us on the boards have speculatated that given the last actions of his life, Marfeo more than likely murdered Doreen as well.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
sugarbaby
Frequent Poster

Thank you guys for the information! I knew you guys would know!
sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
DP1
Forum Regular

I believe Mafero also wounded the man his girlfriend was having an affair with. He survived.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
wiseguy182

As at least one other poster has mentioned, Steve Marfeo, at the end of the segment, sips a cup of coffee, like in one of those International Coffee commercials, where they say "celebrate the moments of your life" Oddly enough, I was watching an old episode of the Price is right the other day, and they played this commerical. I immediately thought of the segment. It's interesting to note how some people/things always remind me of UM, like whenever I see Michael Jordan on tv, I always think of Danny Wheeler.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
As at least one other poster has mentioned, Steve Marfeo, at the end of the segment, sips a cup of coffee, like in one of those International Coffee commercials, where they say "celebrate the moments of your life". . .
ROTF! That is hilarious!

He does seem to appear to have an odd inner peace for a guy who most likely killed his wife.

IIRC, doesn't the update say they searched the area where he killed himself, thinking since it was a remote place, that maybe he offed his wife there too?
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
DP1
Forum Regular

Yeah, they did start a search of the area but unfortuneately, turned up nothing. Though I think it's a safe bet to say the case has been unofficially closed.

Noticed that bit about the coffee too. Just like a commercial.
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

I was never sure about this. Other than the whole "let's assume the husband did it since he was the closest to her" theory there isn't a lot to go on with Stephen. Doreen's mother and sister did not believe it was him. That doesn't mean a whole lot, but still.

I think the whole fiasco with how he ended his life makes him look even more guilty but if that's the case you just killed a woman, injured another and are about to kill yourself. Why not confess to Doreen and her whereabouts? Hey you are already a murderer, your legacy even from your own family's standpoint will not be good but it might help give some solace.

This is why I am neither here nor there on this one.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
cocytus
Forum Regular

I usually am very careful not to judge something w/o a lot of available evidence but in this case I don't see where there would be much doubt. Quite simply, the odds against a man that later kills his EX-girlfriend, attempts to kill her current boyfriend and kills himself having NOT killed his first wife also, have to be astronomical. Possibly on the order of a double lottery jackpot win in the same day. Or being struck by lighting twice...after an airplane crash.

The scariest part of Stephen Marfeo is that he seemed genuinely sincere that he wasn't a violent person and that he didn't do anything to his wife. It's unfortunate that his wife and his ex-girlfriend had to run into and fall in love with, this monster.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The Marfeo update was shocking to say the least. I really thought he was innocent, and I thought it was possible that Dorene left on her own. But the guy shot and killed his ex-girlfriend and attempted to kill her new boyfriend. What makes you think he wouldn't do the same to his wife if she upset him in any way?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The Marfeo update was shocking to say the least. I really thought he was innocent, and I thought it was possible that Dorene left on her own. But the guy shot and killed his ex-girlfriend and attempted to kill her new boyfriend. What makes you think he wouldn't do the same to his wife if she upset him in any way?
I wish there was more information on Marfeo's other girlfriend that he killed. I don't doubt he did it, but they gave little information about it. I agree that it would be astronomical odds to NOT have killed your missing wife and then 10 years later kill your ex-girlfriend. If it looks like a duck...........tastes like a duck........you get the picture.

But is there in some small way a chance that he was innocent........of Doreen's disappearance? If he was in a rocky relationship there is little doubt there were words exchanged with the ex girlfriend and who knows she could have said to him "you're just a wife killer anyways!" along those lines. Maybe he figures so many people think he's guilty as it is, why not just do it and then "off" myself. This isn't a logical way of thinking but the stress that Stephen would have been going through with the accusations could have put him over the top.

So without that confession at the end, I still have to wonder about this one, although perhaps if I were to lean either way it would be that he was involved with Doreen's disappearance.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
WishfulDreamer

That update really upset me the first time I saw it several years ago. I had been convinced that he seemed innocent and it definitely startled me.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
I wish there was more information on Marfeo's other girlfriend that he killed. I don't doubt he did it, but they gave little information about it. I agree that it would be astronomical odds to NOT have killed your missing wife and then 10 years later kill your ex-girlfriend. If it looks like a duck...........tastes like a duck........you get the picture.

But is there in some small way a chance that he was innocent........of Doreen's disappearance? If he was in a rocky relationship there is little doubt there were words exchanged with the ex girlfriend and who knows she could have said to him "you're just a wife killer anyways!" along those lines. Maybe he figures so many people think he's guilty as it is, why not just do it and then "off" myself. This isn't a logical way of thinking but the stress that Stephen would have been going through with the accusations could have put him over the top.

So without that confession at the end, I still have to wonder about this one, although perhaps if I were to lean either way it would be that he was involved with Doreen's disappearance.
If Stephen was innocent in Doreen's disappearance, then he would have had no prior history of violence. For him to fly off the handle and kill his ex-girlfriend in a jealous rage would be next to impossible without a prior history. That's why I think he killed Doreen as well.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

[QUOTE= For him to fly off the handle and kill his ex-girlfriend in a jealous rage would be next to impossible without a prior history. That's why I think he killed Doreen as well.[/QUOTE]

But don't all histories have to start somewhere? I haven't decided whether or not Steve killed his wife, but if he was innocent in Doreen's disappearance, the history could have started with the murder of the new girlfriend. I could be remembering wrong, but I was not able to find anything on the murder of the new girlfriend, so I don't know how LE knows he did it (unless the survivor provided that information). If the survivor did not ID Steve, then why did he make it so obvious he killed the new girlfriend and never admitted to his involvement (if any) in Doreen's disappearance?

For those who think he was innocent, let's keep this discussion going: why do you think that way? Itt is certainly interesting that his in-laws supported him -- I think we can all agree that most times a missing spouse is profiled on UM, the missing person's family is convinced the spouse not missing is responsible (think Mr. Pollis, Mr. Nichols, Mr. Noe as examples).

One more thing: is this the case where the reporter followed up on so
me psychic comments and there was a "for sale" sign with some numbers and a cross street that matched the psychic's comments?

I know this post goes in a thousand different directions ...
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote