Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #91
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
Sorry when i meant "multiple persons" i meant more than one person going after her.

I just can't see this all as being the work of one individual harasser.
It's possibly, but Cindy James doesn't strike me as the type who has a lot of enemies. The only person who I think would have something against Cindy would be her ex-husband. Perhaps he hired people to harass her.

Does anyone have any interesting information regarding Cindy's husband? I could have sworn I read somewhere that he abused her during their marriage...
Zlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #92
ididn'tdoit
Forum Regular

I think Zlatko brings up a key point, the harassments started after her divorce. Now I don't know for sure her ex-husband was involved or not but I've almost finished Neal Hall's book about the case and he certainly comes off as pretty weird and sometimes he would even get violent with her. I also agree with CD, for those of you who rule out murder, read the book, it goes much more into detail than UM.
ididn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #93
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Had to bump this thread. I have a question for you, purple rose. Just curious since you know more about all the details surrounding your sister's death. Who do feel most likely killed your sister, and why? Can you provide any interesting facts that we might not have known regarding the case?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #94
purple rose
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
Had to bump this thread. I have a question for you, purple rose. Just curious since you know more about all the details surrounding your sister's death. Who do feel most likely killed your sister, and why? Can you provide any interesting facts that we might not have known regarding the case?
OH boy, great questions!
You know, for liability purposes I can’t exactly say who I think killed Cindy (unless I also give the proof). But what I would like to say to everyone (as a clue) is open your minds and expand your idea of who your list of perpetrators could be. Beyond the obviously suspicious, there are individuals that deserve closer scrutiny. I know, that’s pretty vague. But if you look back at the older threads here on the UM board, I once saw someone post an idea that was completely overlooked by everyone…and yet it was something everyone should have seriously taken a closer look at!
Interesting facts you might not have known:
Cindy didn’t purchase her groceries at the location where her car was found. When I was going through everything years later, I found the receipt the police didn’t locate at the time of investigation and it shows she got her groceries at a different time and location (and no purchase for nylons was on it—as the police speculated).
On the day she disappeared she had a “hang-up call” (and one on the 23rd –she disappeared on the 25th)…they were registered on her kitchen calendar.
After Cindy’s death I found the makeup she purchased at the Bay on the day of her death (she’d had a makeover) —the police completely missed seeing it at the location I found it!
Years after Cindy’s death the security services provider gave an interview to A Day In The Life and he had facts incorrect.
Police knew who was staying in the blue van (Ufimstev) at the abandoned house location (near where Cindy’s body was found) but by the inquest they lost his statement and the wanderer had disappeared.
There are a lot more interesting and surprising facts…
Two people who testified at the inquest asked for, and were granted, legal “protection” so their testimony could not be used against them in future court proceedings…
And so on…
purple rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #95
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Thanks for the answers, purple rose. I have more questions, what are the details about the guy who was outside Cindy's friends' house after a fire? I remember Cindy's friend asked the man to call firefighters, and the man just ran away.

Also, do you think there's a chance that multiple people were possibly harassing Cindy instead of one individual?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #96
purple rose
Frequent Poster

Here is an email I recently received:

"Please check out the following information.
Abuse Of Trust by Christopher Hyde. The career of Dr.James Stewart Tyhurst.
Note: Roy Makepeace worked at UBC with Tyhurst before he went to work at BC Hydro.
Killer Doctors by Colin Evans Re: The brotherhood of silence.
Gorman v Tyhurst The Supreme Court Decision
Anyone You Want Me Be by John Douglas Re: The Gorean Concept
Journey Into Madness by Gordon Thomas
Brother Twelve by John Oliphant

A Current Affair did a report on the sex slave Jill Gorman and her ordeal on Gabriola Island. Re: Maureen Boyle with local reporter Marc Edge in the 1990's.
Note: The island your sister went to on the sailboat trip in the 1980's was more than likely Gabriola Island.
Hopefully, this information helps you with your quest to find out what happened to your sister and her tragic death. I believe this information speaks for itself."

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #97
dynoguy88

Default reply

This is a response to everyone who keeps bringing up Cindy's harrassment as starting shortly after her divorce.

I read both books by Ian Mulgrew and Neal Hall and Melanie can obviously correct me if I'm wrong on anything but Cindy and her ex-husband Roy didn't divorce right before the harrassment started. They seperated. The Unsolved Mysteries segment even said, "In July of 1982, Cindy and her husband seperated. 3 months later, the phone calls began."

Cindy and Roy didn't actually divorce until years later. When they seperated, they were on much better terms. In fact, there were times (it was reported) that they continued to date off and on. And for a while, they dated other people but still went on double dates with each other!

Believe me, when I first saw the UM segment and heard that her hell started so shortly after seperating from her husband, I thought that was suspicious. But after reading the books, biased as they are, I feel much different. The relationship didn't sound ugly enough to make me suspicious. But that's just my opinion going on what I read.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #98
dynoguy88

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatko
Thanks for the welcome.

I want to mention another strange aspect of this case. Why didn't Cindy move to an apartment with a room-mate, or go back to her parents? She could have even bought an attack dog. By being alone in a house, she left herself vulnerable to a criminal. That's what makes the case even more bizarre.
In Neal Hall's book, he brought up the whole apartment issue. (Again, Melanie can correct me if I'm wrong.) But in the book, it stated that Cindy's friends and family tried to convince her a few times to move into an apartment since she would be safer in that kind of environment.

But she was insistent on living in a house. Apparently, one of her favorite pastimes was working in the garden. She would spend hours on it making it look just right...and it might have been a relaxing stress reliever for her. She wouldn't have that luxury in an apartment. She also wanted a backyard for her dog Heidi to be able to run around in. According to the book, when the apartment issue was first brought up, Cindy was stubborn and went with the attitude that her attackers weren't going to get the best of her. I think moving into a house, not an apartment was her way of showing that.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #99
purple rose
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rose
Here is an email I recently received:

"Please check out the following information.
Abuse Of Trust by Christopher Hyde. The career of Dr.James Stewart Tyhurst.
Here is a follow-up email regarding that email I posted for everyone:
"Hello Melanie,
I discovered on Sunday that you are writing a book about your sister's mysterious death. I hope that you discover the truth about what actually happened to her,as it has been 19 years since her body was found at 3111 Blundell Road.
I believe that during the summer of 1981 or 1982 that Cindy went on a sailboat trip to the Gulf Islands to visit colleagues or friends of her husband Roy Makepeace. On one of these yachting trips she discovered a diabolical secret about a member of the psychiatric community in British Columbia.
I believe that Roy Makepeace went to visit his friend who was a fellow psychiatrist, who had a home on Gabriola Island.

Did Cindy find out something she was not supposed to know about?

It is important to recognize that Cindy and Roy were members of the psychiatric community in British Columbia. As Roy Makepeace was the head of Social Psychiatry at UBC, before he went to work at BC Hydro. It is self-evident that he had friends who were psychiatrists.

I believe the reason Cindy experienced her ordeal and reign of terror for seven years is because she knew that a sadist who was a member of the psychiatric community in British Columbia, was practising radical psychiatric therapies and sexually abusing some of his female patients.

The various incidents on the timeline in Ian Mulgrew's book strongly suggest that a doctor is the main suspect. The numerous medications from the autopsy indicate this possibility, especially due to the unusal amounts of morphine found in her system.The marks on her arm suggest a syringe was used and the knife in her hand in the floor of her home suggest someone with medical knowledge of the human anatomy. Suspend your disbelief for a moment. In your imagination consider a doctor with a medical bag or kit. In that medical bag are vials of morphine,, black stockings, cigarettes, a knife and glass cutters.I recommend the book called Killer Doctors by Colin Evans.

The incident on 16th Ave. in December of 1985 suggests a possible area of operation for her tormenter. Did he work at the University of British Columbia Psychiatic Department?

I believe Ozzie Kaban was right, when he said that Cindy was murdered. He is a very stellar investigator. Unfortunately, the stalker he was after turned out to be very crafty and elusive.

If Cindy had said her tormentor was a psychiatrist she would not have been believed. She would have been considered delusional or insane. It would have been a huge scandal in the newspapers.The brotherhood of silence would have protected a member of the psychiatric community. Re: Killer Doctors by Colin Evans.

Over the years there has been the sordid story of the sex slave Jill Gorman in the newspapers, who has been trying to bring her tormentor to justice. It took her fifteen years to get compensation for th e abuse tthat she suffered from the psychiatrist who treated her.He took her to Gabriola Island. A Current Affair did a investigation in the early 1990's. The book Abuse of Trust by Christopher Hyde also describes what he did to the sex slave Annie White at his estate on Gabriola Island.

Jill Gorman won a $557,000.00 in a civil against him and his name was Dr.James Stewart Tyhurst. He retired from the University of British Columbia in 1987. He was arrested by the RCMP on November 8th, 1989 fo the sexual assault of four of his patients (The Vancouver Sun). Tyhurst is 86 years old. He was born in 1922.

Did Cindy know the name of her stalker?

Why did she change her last name to James? Is this name a clue?

It is possible she changed her name to the name of her stalker. For example Cindy James=James Tyhurst. I believe this notion is worthy of consideration.

It is also possible that I am mistaken, but he is a good suspect.

I know that Cindy wanted you to have this information. It was like she guided me to you and your web site. I have always believed that the cold truth would be revealed one day and that your dream was a message from Cindy to help set her soul free from planet earth. She knew that you could help her. Cindy was subjected to sadistic evil by an "empiric" or quack doctor and I hope that you have evidence that will expose the truth in your book.

I hope this information does not cause you any distress. The problem with cold cases is that you may have a good suspect, but can the evidence support a charge of murder. This is circumstancial evidence that I have shared with you, and after 27 years since the sailboat trip to the Gulf Islands, this circumstancial evidence would be difficult to prove.

My advice to you Melanie is to let the facts speak for themselves.The worst thing a person can do is try to make an opinion or an idea into a fact. The paper trail is enormous,if you follow it. Journey Into Madness by Gordon Thomas is a good place to begin. Dr.Paul Termansen is mentioned in this book.He was Cindy's psychiatrist, when she was his patient at Lion's Gate Hospital. I like Dr.Termansen, I met him during The Jack Cram Controversy,which happened in 1994.

I discovered recently a book called Crime and Deviance. by Lemert
Tyhurst is mentioned in the book in Chapter 9. He is considered one of the leading psychiatric experts in paranoid behavior patterns.
If Tyhurst is the main suspect in Cindy's ordeal ,then it is diabolical and sinister what he did to her.

As Schopenhauer said, "All truth passes through three stages".

1. It is ridiculed.

2. It is violently opposed.

3.It is accepted as a truth so self-evident that it has always been known.

Most of the information I have shared with you can be found on Google.

Abuse of Trust by Christopher Hyde could be found at a used book store.

Brother Twelve is also a revealing book about a sex slave camps in the Gulf Islands.

I look forward to reading your book when it published."

More thoughts for everyone to chew on.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #100
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Holy crap, that information opens up a new perspective into the case. I always found it strange that Cindy was injected with morphine, something that would be difficult to obtain. Is there anymore information on this James Tynhurst?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #101
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Cindy's body was found after two weeks supposedly laying outside in the weeds in late May and early June. That's two weeks of warm late spring weather. I would have assumed there would be much more decomp than than we see in the pictures they are showing. Are they certain on their time of death?

And even though she has a needle mark on her inner elbow, they are assuming some/all of the drugs were ingested orally. Did the autopsy find any morphine or other drugs in her stomach or upper intestine?

When I first started watching this case as presented by UM, I thought "crackpot lady wants attention and finally kills herself". But then I read through this thread and suicide is definitely not the case. Too much has been overlooked. And while it's not impossible to hogtie one's self in the manner that Cindy was found in, it's highly unlikely and when you add it in with all the other facts of no syringes, not traces of drugs, etc, you've got a murder.

The officials still have a lot of explaining to do, imo.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #102
Zlatko
Forum Regular

I had to bump up this thread since I'm almost done with Ian Mulgrew's book "Who Killed Cindy James."

Thus far, the book provides way more than what I got from the UM segment. In the book, it says that Cindy had nothing, but contempt for husband. She thought he was a monster. It also mentions that Cindy negative feelings towards her parents. She apparently felt that her father was nothing, but a militant.

As for the evidence, I didn't feel that the book provided any real solid evidence that Cindy committed all those acts. There were no eye-witness report about Cindy committing any acts of self inflicted violence. All they said was that she was suicidal. On the other hand, there was an incident in which Cindy was found in her garage, with her hands tied. A knot expert tried to tie himself the way Cindy was tied, and failed. IMO, that's pretty solid evidence that someone was harassing her.

If anyone has the Neal Hall's book, I'd like to see if they could post any interesting information from the book. From what I've heard, it's better than Ian Mulgrew's book.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #103
CanadianUMFan
Frequent Poster

If she was actually murdered by someone, that person has to be one of the most ineffective killers of all time considering that it took seven years to actually complete the murder. Yet, at the same time, they were brilliant enough to avoid detection by the authorities during those seven years and ever since too. Does that really make sense?
CanadianUMFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #104
Zlatko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianUMFan
If she was actually murdered by someone, that person has to be one of the most ineffective killers of all time considering that it took seven years to actually complete the murder. Yet, at the same time, they were brilliant enough to avoid detection by the authorities during those seven years and ever since too. Does that really make sense?
One of the investigators in the case, Ozzie Kaban argued that Cindy was being harassed for intimidation's sake. He said that Cindy knew something, so a group of people were harassing her to keep her quiet. Kind of like a cat which plays with its victim.

Both the suicide, and murder arguments seem to have flaws. I don't see how someone could harass her non-stop, and get away with it. On the other hand, no one caught Cindy trying to stage something.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #105
atomicfizz
Forum Regular

I always thought that the recording of the threatening calls sounded like a woman trying to sound like a man. I have always thought she committed suicide, but who knows. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone can do all this stuff for so long and no one ever sees anything. I can buy that she did it to herself without being caught more than someone else never getting caught. Of course this is just my feelings on this case. I also am a little suspicious of her "stubbornness" to not move in to an apartment with someone else. Yes, you want to garden and live in a house and whatever and giving that up would crimp your style, but is it going to crimp your style more than the harassment that is going on? I don't know. That's just weird to me.
atomicfizz is offline   Reply With Quote