Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #16
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
Pretty interesting how Robert Stack said at the beginning of the segment how this case was very frustrating for investigators because they knew who killed her but couldn't prove it. I wonder what they have or what they know that tells them who do it?
That's a good question. I wonder if this is partly why the mystery caller Antonio is so important to the case. Perhaps the police were hoping that he might be able to identify someone in a lineup.Maybe they needed some evidence to put their suspect on the scene and Antonio's testimony would have been it.

For what it's worth, I live not far from where this occurred and have driven through Belle Glade many times. Sugar cane farming is endemic to this area and much of the workforce in the sugar cane fields are Cuban immigrants. The majority of the immigrants only speak Spanish. It wouldn't surprise me if Antonio lived and worked in the area, perhaps cutting sugar cane given he was familiar with the location and possibly not living in the best conditions - he mentioned he didn't have a phone, for example.

Also, for what it's worth, many of the immigrants are of questionable legal status. That could also be why Antonio never called back, unfortunately.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #17
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
That's a good question. I wonder if this is partly why the mystery caller Antonio is so important to the case. Perhaps the police were hoping that he might be able to identify someone in a lineup.Maybe they needed some evidence to put their suspect on the scene and Antonio's testimony would have been it.

For what it's worth, I live not far from where this occurred and have driven through Belle Glade many times. Sugar cane farming is endemic to this area and much of the workforce in the sugar cane fields are Cuban immigrants. The majority of the immigrants only speak Spanish. It wouldn't surprise me if Antonio lived and worked in the area, perhaps cutting sugar cane given he was familiar with the location and possibly not living in the best conditions - he mentioned he didn't have a phone, for example.

Also, for what it's worth, many of the immigrants are of questionable legal status. That could also be why Antonio never called back, unfortunately.
Excellent points. Plus, the fact that we are 20 years later and he still hasn't come forward tells me he never will. I wonder if he went back to Cuba or wherever he was from?
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
justins5256

Quote:
Excellent points. Plus, the fact that we are 20 years later and he still hasn't come forward tells me he never will. I wonder if he went back to Cuba or wherever he was from?
It is possible. Although, many immigrants stay and work here and send money back to their homes in other countries to support their families who haven't made it to the US.

In either case, if Antonio was an immigrant and worked in sugar cane, as I suspect, I think finding him now would be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. The population in question is very transient and unfortunately impoverished.

ETA: I think Meg mentioned in an earlier post reaching out to him in Spanish. This probably would have been the best bet. Though, we don't know what all the police tried. It is possible that they did have appeals in the news media and so forth.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #19
Hambone2421

Quote:
It is possible. Although, many immigrants stay and work here and send money back to their homes in other countries to support their families who haven't made it to the US.

In either case, if Antonio was an immigrant and worked in sugar cane, as I suspect, I think finding him now would be like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. The population in question is very transient and unfortunately impoverished.

ETA: I think Meg mentioned in an earlier post reaching out to him in Spanish. This probably would have been the best bet. Though, we don't know what all the police tried. It is possible that they did have appeals in the news media and so forth.
Most likely. I also think its like you said, he was afraid of coming forth out of fear of possibly being deported. He may have also known one of the killers as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #20
justins5256

Quote:
He may have also known one of the killers as well.
That's an interesting thought right there. It got me thinking about the account. Didn't Antonio say that one of the killers was named "Ricardito?"

In the re-enactment, the Rebecca Young actress yells out "don't kill me, Ricardito!" implying that was how Antonio heard the name.

A part of me wonders though. That seems kind of convenient. Coupled with the odds of Antonio being on the scene in the right place, at the correct vantage point to witness all of this undetected. It all seems kind of suspect. I've never really considered that until today.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
Hambone2421

Quote:
That's an interesting thought right there. It got me thinking about the account. Didn't Antonio say that one of the killers was named "Ricardito?"

In the re-enactment, the Rebecca Young actress yells out "don't kill me, Ricardito!" implying that was how Antonio heard the name.

A part of me wonders though. That seems kind of convenient. Coupled with the odds of Antonio being on the scene in the right place, at the correct vantage point to witness all of this undetected. It all seems kind of suspect. I've never really considered that until today.
I mean, I wouldn't say its odd that she screamed "don't kill me Ricardito!". Assuming she at least knew him and she believes he's about to murder her, I think its natural to say the persons name in hopes of appealing to them. But I do get what you're saying and its certainly possible.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #22
DALLASTEXAN!!

I just watched the original version of this segment. I had seen it before on lifetime back in the day. It is very chilling to watch to say the least. It's crazy I think I may have viewed the moss beach/civil war episode in the weeks prior and opted out of the next showings. Watching this segment would have been hard on me as a child.

Meg made some good points in her post. The biggest discrepancy or ? Is the fact that Antonio thought the killer was Mexican and in that scene they show a Hispanic suspect. but then in the traffic stop reenactment the suspect appeared to be more Caucasian. As many pointed out after megs post This could possibly the key to breaking the case. The police may not have been able to hold the suspect for long or get probable cause to search because he did not match the description given by Antonio over the phone. The Mexican statement could have been a mistake. The suspect could have been light-tan skinned or just was Caucasian but spoke spanish/or English with a non Cuban accent. If they were speaking English when Antonio was watching from the sugar cane area then Antonio would have been translating in his mind. This would make his observations a little more difficult as well in trying to pin point a non Cuban dialect. Ricardito was likely an alias...
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #23
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind
Snitching on violent drug dealers isn't the best way to ensure a prolonged and happy life.

I give Antonio credit for even calling in the first place.
I agree with this. If he was a working class immigrant I doubt he was keen to be involved in this case. I do wonder if he ever viewed the segment or was informed by someone. Given the brutality of the crime I imagine he would have told his family about the incident. Holding that inside would be difficult.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Seems pretty obvious that the drunk rambling dude featured in the segment is the one who killed her. Stack even says as much in the segment when he says that the police seemed certain that he was involved in her murder. What's odd though is that Antonio described 2 men involved in Rebecca's murder, one Cuban and the other Mexican. The drunk rambling guy (the actor who played him, anyway) was a long haired white guy. The police seem to think this guy is the likely suspect, so I believe they have more information than what was given out in the segment. But if that's true, that makes the entire phone call by Antonio questionable.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Seems pretty obvious that the drunk rambling dude featured in the segment is the one who killed her. Stack even says as much in the segment when he says that the police seemed certain that he was involved in her murder. What's odd though is that Antonio described 2 men involved in Rebecca's murder, one Cuban and the other Mexican. The drunk rambling guy (the actor who played him, anyway) was a long haired white guy. The police seem to think this guy is the likely suspect, so I believe they have more information than what was given out in the segment. But if that's true, that makes the entire phone call by Antonio questionable.
Iím not sure but maybe it could have been a contract killing of some sort involving a drug debt or another type of criminal activity? I always thought the caller was sincere. It is possible that his testimony was flawed or that he simply saw or heard a Caucasian guy speaking Spanish and confused the dialect since it was not Cuban. I get frustrated when I watch this segment because it seems if they located the witness he may have been able to identify or eliminate the suspect. I wonder if Rebecca had any interaction with the police before her murder.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #26
James T

Leaning towards 'Antonio' being the murderer. Why was he worried about them finding him? According to him they hadn't seen him there, so how could they identify him? They had no clue anybody else was there at the time. More likely the reason he never phoned back is he was trying to put the blame onto other people by making up some description of a couple of guys & put himself in a good light by reporting the crime in case the cops tracked him down.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #27
MOneek
Occasional Poster

Hate to bump this thread up but I just saw this episode a few minutes ago and still, like I felt the first time that I saw this story, I think ANTONIO is the killer.
He wanted someone to find her so her reported it. I also don’t believe he was doing “illegal hunting” as RS mentioned on the episode. In Florida? Hunting for what gator? Idk I think he was doing some illegal cutting of the sugar cane and who knows why rebeccca Young was with him. If she was a prostitute then there you go...
either way I don’t believe Antonio’s story... Bc Who the heck is Ricardito a name he threw out to throw ppl off. Who was that boyfriend of hers too, not much mention of him.
MOneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
DALLASTEXAN!!

I don't think the caller did it. for me his phone call sounded sincere and makes sense. as for hunting in south florida, that may not make sense to some people, but south florida is a multi-cultural society. people from different countries bring their heritage with them. I don't think it is far fetched to say that she was killed over drugs or a disagreement between drug dealers.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!! View Post
I don't think the caller did it. for me his phone call sounded sincere and makes sense. as for hunting in south florida, that may not make sense to some people, but south florida is a multi-cultural society. people from different countries bring their heritage with them. I don't think it is far fetched to say that she was killed over drugs or a disagreement between drug dealers.
The problem is he had a gun, they used a machete-why would he let it happen & why would he be in fear of his life when he could blow them away? Most likely he knew of the killing because he was involved in it, or knew the killers who were shooting their mouth off about it.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #30
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
The problem is he had a gun, they used a machete-why would he let it happen & why would he be in fear of his life when he could blow them away? Most likely he knew of the killing because he was involved in it, or knew the killers who were shooting their mouth off about it.
It is possible. I just don’t see it that way due to sincere nature of his phone call. Contrary to what we see on television not everyone who carries a gun is willing to use it on another human under those circumstances (if you believe him which I do). I would venture to say some people would opt not to get involved and many would never even call the police out of fear of being thrust into an investigation...yet perhaps he called out of guilt for doing nothing to help her?