Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci
Default What is the BEST produced UM segment?

I know that there has been some discussion about the differences in UM's production between the NBC, CBS, and Lifetime episodes. So what do you think the best produced UM segment is?

I'm not sure if it's the best, but I would cast a vote for the NBC "Son of Sam" segment (it was really creepy) or the Tami Lynn Leppart segment (The shot of her breaking the big bay window with a baseball bat was really well done.)

Your thoughts?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
fivecats
Frequent Poster

I always felt the Eliot Ness sequence was excellent and brought out a side to Ness that I wasn't familiar with (the torso murders?).
I also liked how moving the story was about the man who wanted to contact his long lost daughter that he had abandoned years ago. It was the case where he had fallen in love with the neighbor girl, she got pregnant and her parents were opposed to them being together (they were going to charge him with statutory rape). He ran off to avoid the police and a year later he met up with the girl again- she was working at a diner. When she had him come over to see the baby, he saw the mother was there and ran off yet again. I liked this segment because you could tell that years later he was very sorry for what he had done, and he knew that he had done the wrong thing by running away when things got tough. I liked how they found the daughter and showed a segment of them meeting, including the biological mother's perspective. This was a great segment because it was complex, not overly moralizing. It let the viewer draw their own conclusions.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
GoldenGirlsFan92

Talking

100th Post!!!!!!!!! It's hard to chose which ones, they're all so Great in there own way!
GoldenGirlsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
connieallbright
Frequent Poster

I vote for the Unabomber/Zodiac episode - the shots of the Zodiac shooting at the kids in the car are so well composed.
connieallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
DarkDante

"Son Of Sam" is a good one production wise, "Kurt Sova" is another one that was extremely well done. But I think I would have to give the nod to "Rick Church" because that whole segment was extremely well put together and I think the actors who portrayed Rick Church and Colleen Ritter did an extemely good job of portraying the horror of those events.

In fact the whole episode plays out like a real creepy low budget horror flick which is a good thing because it comes off very well. There are also some nice "little touches" in this segment (The Springsteen poster on Church's wall) which I don't know, the attention to detail is very pronounced in this segment.
DarkDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
synthisislab
Forum Regular

I thought the I-70 Killer segment was put together extremely well. It had the over-the-top sinister music. The dialogue between the black customer and the killer was very suspenseful. The composite scared the crap out of me and the actor who played the killer looked so believable that he truly frightened me.

Also, the segment with Matthew McConaughey was excellent because it felt so real.

I'd say the worst one was the attempted poisoning of the husband by that b*tch who wanted to beef her husband up because he was to small for her fat ass. "That man, he took Jonathon!"
synthisislab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
RightOnDude
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthisislab
I thought the I-70 Killer segment was put together extremely well. It had the over-the-top sinister music. The dialogue between the black customer and the killer was very suspenseful. The composite scared the crap out of me and the actor who played the killer looked so believable that he truly frightened me.

:
Yeah that one was killer (no pun intended) ... when the customer comes in the store and the guy's like, "Hey, come back here!" and the customer's like: "No! I'm not going back there!!!" ... and that goes on for a minute or two. I still can't get over that this guy who went into seemingly random strip mall stores and murdered people for NO REASON ended up letting this guy just WALK OUT!?!?!
RightOnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
crystaldawn

Great question cricci! I've always like the Aileen Conway segment. The filming out on the rural road and then showing her house empty with the sliding glass door open and curtain blowing and the bathtub full of water and phone off the hook was downright eerie! I also like the Kathy Bonderson and Sherry Eyerly cases for how they were filmed in the dark and gave a spooky feel. Also the Patricia Meehan story when she was out walking in that moonlit field.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
synthisislab
Forum Regular

The one that they showed yesterday was beautifully done. The one about Todd Kelly's murder. It was very realistic. The casting was excellent. The Mafous Huck character was very creepy, Christy and Todd Kelly's characters were the epitome of 80s cheese. Nice sunglasses, Todd. Were those Oakley knock-offs from the flea market?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnDude
Yeah that one was killer (no pun intended) ... when the customer comes in the store and the guy's like, "Hey, come back here!" and the customer's like: "No! I'm not going back there!!!" ... and that goes on for a minute or two. I still can't get over that this guy who went into seemingly random strip mall stores and murdered people for NO REASON ended up letting this guy just WALK OUT!?!?!
Yeah, that was the luckiest man alive at that moment. The actor that played the killer looked very deranged and angry. That scene creeped me out. I kind of laughed when the customer said "Look man, I don't know what's going on here". That scene is one of those instances where something made my skin crawl and was humorous at the same time.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Also the Patricia Meehan story when she was out walking in that moonlit field

I've said a few times that I'm from Montana. I remember Missing Persons ads running for her on TV when this happened. I can't believe that she's still missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthisislab
The one that they showed yesterday was beautifully done. The one about Todd Kelly's murder. It was very realistic. The casting was excellent. The Mafous Huck character was very creepy, Christy and Todd Kelly's characters were the epitome of 80s cheese.
That segment creeps me out. I saw if for the first time when I was 22 or 23 and I was so creeped out I couldn't sleep. I shudder to think of my reaction to it had I seen it at the time it originally aired....
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
cindysong
Frequent Poster

I like the one where the two ladies and a grandson encountered a strange aircraft near Houston. They then saw American Military guys, the ladies and the kid got sick, and the government now denies any knowledge. Seems like stuff was coming down from the sky too.

I feel for those people....
cindysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Perfectflaw
True Crime head
Occasional Poster

Default Nice thread..

Rick Church and Dennis Depue definitely come to mind as well done episodes. Like many have noted,those were like mini-indy films that just had an eerie "feeling". When I was yonger one of my biggest fears was me or my family falling victim to a random shooting,so naturally I was petrified by the Blind River and Larry George cases.These segements were short but will probably stick in my mind forever.

But best produced? Well as a history buff I treasure the segments covering the events around Rev. Martin Luther King and John Wilkes Booth. They had many theories that I hadn't heard of. I also thought the case about the man who was kidnapped in Beirut was done very well.

Last edited by Perfectflaw; 04-23-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Perfectflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
greatgarrett2
Forum Regular

I'd say the Georgia Rudolph episode is by far the most in depth, well-done and researched Reincarnation episode. The music and the storytelling all contribute greatly to the segment.

The Georgia Rudolph episode ranks up there as possibly one of the best produced segments on all of UM. Something about it makes it all the more eerier.

Also, Coral Polge.....the opening shot of the man being drawn and the start-up music for that segment......"I have a young lad here who doesn't know quite how he died......" The whole idea of drawing people that have passed on to another realm intrigues me. The whole showing of their portraits and photos really got me. awesome.

greatgarrett2

Last edited by greatgarrett2; 03-23-2006 at 01:58 AM.
greatgarrett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #15
MetalHybrid
Frequent Poster

Yes there are many to choose from. I have actually been thinking about this recently. I think the segment about Larry and Debbie Race's boatride that turned drastic ranks up there. The way they were able to film this all in the lake, and the way the actress who played Debbie acted out her part. You get a full idea about just how panic stricken Debbie must have been aboard a boat that was sinking in the middle of a freezing body of water. This segment was done so well you almost feel like you are watching the real thing and not a re-creation. Very suspensful, even though you know how things are going to turn out.

Other segment done well would be L'Enfant, they way they use that trademark atonal background music as Bashir takes a threatning call. Whistle Blown also utilizes backdrop music and footage well.
MetalHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote