Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

Found an interesting article today (written back in the 90's) about this case. Apparently, the pathologist that Andre's family hired had relied on a description of Andre's body when it was found, and not an actual crime scene photo.

"In fact, evidence of homicide remains elusive. Dr. Bryant's finding of homicide relies largely on a jailer's description of the body and the condition of the cell, an account that is at odds with other reports from the scene."

And the other prisoners in that cell with him (I believe there was at least 12 other prisoners in the same cell) never once came forward and said that they heard a struggle, or anyone entering the cell for that matter.

"In interviews, neither investigators nor local reporters nor prisoners' lawyers related any reports of prisoners' seeing any jailers entering the cell or hearing a struggle. Dr. Bryant also agrees that there was no evidence of a struggle, like another person's skin beneath Andre Jones's fingernails."

The rest of the article is pretty interesting and actually says that suicides in the Mississippi jails were a fairly common due to a lack of safeguards within the prison system.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/21/us...-lynching.html
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #17
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

This one just reeked of murder.

So the police take pictures of Andre flashing gang signs, but don't make them available? Sure. And why were the cops "impressed" with his knowledge of gang signs? Do the police like gangs? Probably not.

I suppose things like the beer, the gun (if they exist), and the stolen truck are all debatable, but considering Andre had never been in trouble before and was due to start college, it's seems highly unlikely he would do all of those things.

The police learn who he's related to, quickly arrest him on what appear to be bogus charges, jail him, quickly transfer him to one of the most dangerous prisons in the state, where he quickly dies. Everything just moves too fast and is too sketchy and leaves me with a bad impression.

I seriously doubt he was able to hang himself with a shoelace. But the biggest nagging issue with the shoelace was that the mark that was left on him was consistent with someone else holding it and crossing the shoelace behind him. There's no way he could have done that on his own accord.

Considering all of the suspicious hanging deaths there and the state's wildly racist past (does it have a take-off of the Confederate flag as its state flag like most other states in that area)?

Murder.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

Driving a stolen vehicle is a crime, even if you didn't know it was stolen. I highly doubt that these police officers actually recognized the last name of "Jones" (not common in the least) and decided to arrest him because they knew his parents were high ups in the local NAACP chapter.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
wiseguy182
Member
Senior Member
 
wiseguy182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 11, 2006
Location: Wendy's salad bar
Posts: 6,907
Default

I couldn't help but notice all of the so-called "experts" and such interviewed on the segment were all lily-white. There were 24 suspicious deaths of black men at the time, would it have killed them to get the opinion of a black person?
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #20
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

"An investigation by the US Justice Department cited Mississippi’s jail system for what they called “gross deficiencies,” including unsanitary conditions and untrained employees. But the report failed to find evidence that the Mississippi hangings were anything other than suicides."
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
MegtheEgg86
Member
Senior Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The rest of the article is pretty interesting and actually says that suicides in the Mississippi jails were a fairly common due to a lack of safeguards within the prison system.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/21/us...-lynching.html
Now that is quite interesting. Coupled with the Justice Department's investigation findings of poorly trained employees, I can certainly see how this could be an explanation for the suicide rate.

However, I've always been highly suspicious of Jones' death. I do not at all think he committed suicide. Never have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
(does it have a take-off of the Confederate flag as its state flag like most other states in that area)?

The only state that does have a Confederate flag incorporated into its design is in fact Mississippi, yes. However, Georgia abandoned its "stars and bars" design well over a decade ago and was the only other state to have such a design incorporated into its flag after the Civil War. (Contrary to popular belief, the red "X" featured on the Alabama flag is in fact a St. Andrew's cross, which you may recognize as also being on the flag of Scotland.)
__________________
"Why is she lying?, it makes me wonder. What is she hiding?, it makes me wonder."

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
However, I've always been highly suspicious of Jones' death. I do not at all think he committed suicide. Never have.
Unless he was murdered by fellow prisoners, I don't see how this is anything but a suicide.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #23
Spanish Lotto
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Spanish Lotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Default

2 things that make me think the police & not Andre Jones' girlfriend could be lying is 1. The gun throwing & beer can story came after he was already dead. If he was murdered or killed accidentally by law enforcement I could see the wanting to spice up his character. 2. Why did it take so long to tell the parents what the charges we're? I believe they did not know the charges until after his death as well. Also, let's not forget that his mom was the president of the Mississippi NAACP & step dad was a minister of Islam. Mississippi has a long history of racial issues.
Spanish Lotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
2 things that make me think the police & not Andre Jones' girlfriend could be lying is 1. The gun throwing & beer can story came after he was already dead.
According to what Jones told his mother. He repeatedly told her he didn't know what he was being charged with, which very well could have been a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
2. Why did it take so long to tell the parents what the charges we're? I believe they did not know the charges until after his death as well.
Because he wasn't telling his parents what he got busted for. He was driving a stolen truck, which is not in dispute at all. I don't think he knew it was stolen at the time, but regardless, it was a stolen truck. I don't understand why the police would then trump up charges about a handgun, as well as something as minuscule as an open container charge, unless they were actually true. His mother spoke to him at least 5 times while he was in jail. He died roughly 12 hours after his incarceration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
Also, let's not forget that his mom was the president of the Mississippi NAACP & step dad was a minister of Islam. Mississippi has a long history of racial issues.
He was driving a stolen truck, and his last name was Jones. You really think that some racist cops at a check point are going to recognize him as the son of the president of the local branch of the NAACP and step-son of a NOI (deemed a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center) minister? I think the parents should have had a civil case against the jail due to no safeguards being in place to monitor the prisoners to reduce the risk of suicide, but I don't think this was anything other than a suicide.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
Spanish Lotto
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Spanish Lotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 07, 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Default

So your take is that even though some of the things in the case may seem strange it was a suicide because the police said so and the dead man's girlfriend is a liar because the police would never lie? Are you in law enforcement? From Mississippi? Or both? Like you said. It is beyond dispute that the truck was stolen. But, we have no idea if he knew this or not.

Another thing that is hard to believe. Supposedly this kid was showing the cops gang signs and letting them take pictures of him doing it. He supposedly was in a good mood while doing this. Then decides to hang himself with a flipping shoe string? They refuse to release the pictures. Does that make any sense to any reasonable person? Supposedly, there were numerous cops at this check point. Yet this guy pulled his truck over in front of them and threw a gun out. If(<key word) the reenactment was accurate, and it could have not been, i dont believe anyone could have been that stupid. Doing it that blatantly. If he did why wouldn't they tell anyone and everyone who asked what happened about It?
Spanish Lotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
So your take is that even though some of the things in the case may seem strange it was a suicide because the police said so and the dead man's girlfriend is a liar because the police would never lie? Are you in law enforcement? From Mississippi? Or both? Like you said. It is beyond dispute that the truck was stolen. But, we have no idea if he knew this or not.
The police, the other prisoners in the holding cell with him, a pathologist, the FBI, a newly appointed State medical examiner, and the Department of Justice concluded it was a suicide. I never called Tanisha a liar. Her account of the huddle is probably accurate, as well as the police asking for his license one final time before taking him out of the car and arresting him. In addition to the stolen truck, he didn't have a license on him. The only items in dispute, IIRC, were the gun and the open container. And I see no reason for the police to lie about this, considering they already had him on the stolen truck and driving without a license charges. I am not in law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
Another thing that is hard to believe. Supposedly this kid was showing the cops gang signs and letting them take pictures of him doing it. He supposedly was in a good mood while doing this. Then decides to hang himself with a flipping shoe string? They refuse to release the pictures. Does that make any sense to any reasonable person?
Makes sense to me. Andre wants to cooperate with the police, so he shows them gang signs probably taught to him by friends. Let's be honest, the friend that loaned him the truck that night probably knew that the truck was stolen. Meaning Andre had to have some interaction with unsavory characters. After doing this, he realizes that not only is his future in college in doubt (he was supposed to start the very next day), but also fears retribution from his "friends" for being a snitch. He was potentially facing several years in jail.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lotto
Supposedly, there were numerous cops at this check point. Yet this guy pulled his truck over in front of them and threw a gun out. If(<key word) the reenactment was accurate, and it could have not been, i dont believe anyone could have been that stupid. Doing it that blatantly. If he did why wouldn't they tell anyone and everyone who asked what happened about It?
I doubt the re-enactment was accurate, because as you say, it would be incredibly stupid for him to do that. When Andre's parents filed their lawsuit, none of those charges were in dispute. The stolen vehicle, altering a VIN number (not mentioned on UM), a city beer ordinance, and concealed weapon charges are all mentioned and not in dispute.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #27
James T
Member
Senior Member
 
James T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2006
Location: England
Posts: 1,246
Default

Not really buying this as a murder-the guy was driving a stolen vehicle without a licence, was observed throwing a gun-one assumes an unlicensed gun out of the window & had an open alcohol container in the vehicle-he was plainly up to no good.

Let's get serious, if you are going to kill a black guy because you are supposedly all a bunch of racists who hate blacks then why on earth would you choose to kill the son of a prominent black activist to where it would get massive amounts of publicity?

The Nation Of Islam guy throws in some rumour of him being taken out of the cell, taken elsewhere & then being bought back in a wheelchair-if this were true then the amount of damage done to his legs & feet would be astronomical & would have obviously been noted at autopsy. Then you have the issue of 11 or so other people in the cell & not one of them have come forward to say that a cop or another prisoner killed Andre. Also you have to assume that the only way in was through the front & that there was no entrance on this side bit where the showers & toilet where, which could feasibly have allowed a cop to enter & kill him without being seen or heard, although unlikely.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #28
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Not really buying this as a murder-the guy was driving a stolen vehicle without a licence, was observed throwing a gun-one assumes an unlicensed gun out of the window & had an open alcohol container in the vehicle-he was plainly up to no good.

Let's get serious, if you are going to kill a black guy because you are supposedly all a bunch of racists who hate blacks then why on earth would you choose to kill the son of a prominent black activist to where it would get massive amounts of publicity?

The Nation Of Islam guy throws in some rumour of him being taken out of the cell, taken elsewhere & then being bought back in a wheelchair-if this were true then the amount of damage done to his legs & feet would be astronomical & would have obviously been noted at autopsy. Then you have the issue of 11 or so other people in the cell & not one of them have come forward to say that a cop or another prisoner killed Andre. Also you have to assume that the only way in was through the front & that there was no entrance on this side bit where the showers & toilet where, which could feasibly have allowed a cop to enter & kill him without being seen or heard, although unlikely.
This whole post is a no for me, dog.

The girlfriend said Andre didn't throw a gun, or didn't have any alcohol. I believe her as the police said Andre threw up gang signs for the police but they never showed the photos on UM. If Andre was as "gangsta" as they tried to make him out to be, why was he crying for his mother and ready to go to college? They were clearly lying to make more charges stick.

Its possible whoever killed Andre didn't know that his parents were apart of the NAACP. They said that a bunch of prisoners were murdered or found hanging at that prison, Andre wasn't the only one. Andre could've been killed by a cop, or another inmate who had no idea about his parents. This was in the deep south I'm sure some of the inmates were racist. He could've been killed by a black man.

Also most prisoners aren't going to snitch. Snitching while staying in that same prison would be a deathwish.

He was killed.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #29
James T
Member
Senior Member
 
James T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 23, 2006
Location: England
Posts: 1,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook View Post
This whole post is a no for me, dog.

The girlfriend said Andre didn't throw a gun, or didn't have any alcohol. I believe her as the police said Andre threw up gang signs for the police but they never showed the photos on UM. If Andre was as "gangsta" as they tried to make him out to be, why was he crying for his mother and ready to go to college? They were clearly lying to make more charges stick.

Its possible whoever killed Andre didn't know that his parents were apart of the NAACP. They said that a bunch of prisoners were murdered or found hanging at that prison, Andre wasn't the only one. Andre could've been killed by a cop, or another inmate who had no idea about his parents. This was in the deep south I'm sure some of the inmates were racist. He could've been killed by a black man.

Also most prisoners aren't going to snitch. Snitching while staying in that same prison would be a deathwish.

He was killed.
Problem is we only have her word for that & she is hardly likely to be telling the truth & how often have we seen people claiming police brutality, police sexually assaulting them, police planting evidence etc & then the unedited footage from the police bodycams shows nothing irregular?

As for the gang signs stuff it was most likely a kid with some booze in him showing off that he was a bad boy in with bad people, when in reality he was a scared teen making random signs that a bunch of hillbilly cops would have no idea what he was doing. It is also highly likely that like a lot of families they are in denial-that their son couldn't possibly be mixing with the wrong people, that he couldn't possibly have took his own life, that shoelaces cannot form a sufficient ligature etc.

How many times do we hear parents who often have little to no clue what their kids are up to say that their child would never do drugs, would never attack anybody etc when the reality is very different? The segment came across as trying to paint him as a saint because his step father was in the nation & he was going to college.

Sure snitching in jail isn't going to help you, but of all the people in that cell none of them has ever come forward to accuse any other prisoner or prison officer of it, that just isn't realistic after 25 plus years.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #30
freakbook
Member
Senior Member
 
freakbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2017
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Problem is we only have her word for that & she is hardly likely to be telling the truth & how often have we seen people claiming police brutality, police sexually assaulting them, police planting evidence etc & then the unedited footage from the police bodycams shows nothing irregular?

As for the gang signs stuff it was most likely a kid with some booze in him showing off that he was a bad boy in with bad people, when in reality he was a scared teen making random signs that a bunch of hillbilly cops would have no idea what he was doing. It is also highly likely that like a lot of families they are in denial-that their son couldn't possibly be mixing with the wrong people, that he couldn't possibly have took his own life, that shoelaces cannot form a sufficient ligature etc.

How many times do we hear parents who often have little to no clue what their kids are up to say that their child would never do drugs, would never attack anybody etc when the reality is very different? The segment came across as trying to paint him as a saint because his step father was in the nation & he was going to college.

Sure snitching in jail isn't going to help you, but of all the people in that cell none of them has ever come forward to accuse any other prisoner or prison officer of it, that just isn't realistic after 25 plus years.
How many times have the police actually been caught being scumbags?

I find it hard to believe that a teen who was constantly calling his mother and was looking forward to college AND had parents in the NAACP would go through the daunting task of hanging himself with a shoestring. That's not easy.

As far as someone coming forward, he could've been killed and no one saw anything and the wheelchair story was crap.

They also said that some other men were found dead in that same prison via hanging. Coincidence? I think not

Unfortunately most people will let politics and race cloud their common sense with a case like this. I'm not saying Andre was a great kid, but just like those other prisoners who were found dead, I think he was murdered.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.