Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #76
Pirate Jenny
StrangeLittleGirl

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Jenny

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondance
WOW, periacta! Did you draw that? - I have a caricature of myself! I was looking at it last night but I doubt I'd post it! - hee hee!
nah, I didn't draw that...I can't even draw proper stick figures.
My best friend is an art major and often uses me as a model. Which is why it's so bewildering that I have so few pictures of myself...
Cause I know other people have plenty of snapshots of me!

"The illusion is upon me that something adheres for a moment, has roundess, weight, depth, is completed. This, for the moment, seems to be my life. If it were possible, I would hand it you entire. I would break it off as one breaks off a bunch of grapes. I would say, 'Take it. This is my life.'"

President, Founder, Demon Bitch and Head Pirate of the "God, Lilith is so ****ing Cool" Fan Club

The paths that ghosts follow are written on the land in old words. Ghosts don't take the interstate. They walk. Is that what I'm following, here?

All we are saying...is give peace a chance.
Pirate Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:30 PM   #77
Moondance
MCR

Default Re: Re: For BebeSternin...

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Vicki
That's no good...that pic is from 7 years ago.

JOKING! You really do have a strong resemblence to Cindy Williams there

That was so funny I forgot to laugh!

Just kidding! - if you want a recent photo, you'll just have to wait! LOL *turns on egg-timer*

Feen
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #78
Moondance
MCR

Quote:
Originally posted by periacta
nah, I didn't draw that...I can't even draw proper stick figures.
My best friend is an art major and often uses me as a model. Which is why it's so bewildering that I have so few pictures of myself...
Cause I know other people have plenty of snapshots of me!

That's a great gift! My brother is an artist, too! lol

Here's a picture he drew of Uma Thurman a few years ago in high school:
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2004, 07:01 PM   #79
barwars
Forum Veteran

wow, that's perfect.

my brother is an artist too.
he's going to college for "graphic arts" or something like that.

then there's me.... the no talent "jan brady" of the family.
barwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:18 PM   #80
Chambers
The Crane Trinity

That is an awesome drawing.

Haha, Jan Brady. You know, I'd give anything to be a Jan Brady now. The Jan Bradys are usually the ones who have to prove themselves when they're older and, as a result, are more successful. I'm afraid I was the kid who was always told they're brilliant (whether I was or not is irrelevant) - that can be really damaging. I was an "early peaker." Spoiled by compliments, you know. People need to be told they suck once in a while. Otherwise you get a horribly fragile ego.

Oh, I'll post a picture of myself later this week after I get my hair cut - then we can all have something to laugh at!

FREEDOM OF THOUGHT
*blank*
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #81
barwars
Forum Veteran

I dont have many talents, but Im pretty smart.

I've never been good at sports or music.

Art -- I used to be very good at, and very interested in until my 8th grade Art teacher turned it from enjoyment to a chore.

Since then, its never been the same, ability and interest.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:58 AM   #82
PZelda
Two Valeries! <3
Forum Legend

Default Re: Re: Re: For BebeSternin...

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondance
That was so funny I forgot to laugh!

Just kidding! - if you want a recent photo, you'll just have to wait! LOL *turns on egg-timer*

Feen
Old 07-19-2004, 05:04 AM   #83
Chambers
The Crane Trinity

Quote:
Originally posted by barwars
I dont have many talents, but Im pretty smart.

I've never been good at sports or music.

Art -- I used to be very good at, and very interested in until my 8th grade Art teacher turned it from enjoyment to a chore.

Since then, its never been the same, ability and interest.
Oh sports! There's one area where I've been told I suck several times haha. The exact same thing happened to me with art. I lost interest in 8th grade for the same reason. And the same happened with music.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:20 AM   #84
Pirate Jenny
StrangeLittleGirl

Quote:
Originally posted by Chambers
That is an awesome drawing.

Haha, Jan Brady. You know, I'd give anything to be a Jan Brady now. The Jan Bradys are usually the ones who have to prove themselves when they're older and, as a result, are more successful. I'm afraid I was the kid who was always told they're brilliant (whether I was or not is irrelevant) - that can be really damaging. I was an "early peaker." Spoiled by compliments, you know. People need to be told they suck once in a while. Otherwise you get a horribly fragile ego.

Oh, I'll post a picture of myself later this week after I get my hair cut - then we can all have something to laugh at!
Well, I was raised similarly, but with a different outcome. Told that I was brilliant...and boy did I believe them! I'm smart and I know it, and while I never flaunt my intelligence, I certainly won't deny it. I'm sure people must want to smack me...I would.
You are right, though, when a child is complimented too much, he or she can get arrogant, believe that they can do anything effortlessly, and fall terribly, and end up doubting everything that has been told to them for their entire life, eventually debasing their entire system of support. And then they fall hard.

Quote:
Oh sports! There's one area where I've been told I suck several times haha. The exact same thing happened to me with art. I lost interest in 8th grade for the same reason. And the same happened with music.
Word to that. PE was always hell for me. Can't do it...never been able to. I swim excellently, sail moderately well, and I used to be able to dance, till 9th grade, when a dance teacher took my ego and crushed it under her ballet shoe, and mananged to exacerbate eating issues while she was at it...but thats not something I'm going to go into.
Anyway, I am absolutely the most inept person althletically that I know. I used to seriously cry every time I had PE in middle school, all the other girls made fun of me, but then...I cried a lot in middle school!

one of my favorite Lilith lines is actually from the Frasier episode, Adventures in Paradise, where he is introducing Madeline to Lilith.

Frasier: Oh well, Madeline is just hilarious! She also designs her own line of sportswear.
Lilith: I'm sorry, I don't think I've ever worn sportswear.

Lost interest in music around 8th grade too, and I've never been good at art.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #85
Chambers
The Crane Trinity

Well actually I only gave up on music some two or three years ago...after 10 years. But that also had to do with some other factors, and now I decided I wouldn't want to be a professional musician anyway. So I'm content with that decision.

Oh, and I don't think I'm NOT smart as a result of the way I was treated. I know I am, I just stopped believing what people were saying. Now I simply don't see what the big deal is in being smart unless you've done something important and constructive with your life. Hell, I was more excited when I got my first C on a test last year than when I got As haha.

PE was so laughable - I just wouldn't try at all, and I always had this sarcastic look on my face whenever I was asked to do anything. The only times I enjoyed it was when I played floor hockey - I loved the violence in the sport for some reason...I'm a lot like Carla that way hehe.

Eek, this thread has become some sort of confessional. Oh well.

Last edited by Chambers; 07-19-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #86
Moondance
MCR

True Confessions (Laverne & Shirley reference )

I started out on the recorder in the 5th grade and in the 6th, I began my venture with the flute (haha - I think of Diane getting all excited about a FLUTIST in one of the episodes hee hee!) I love music - from there, I fiddled with the clarinet, the summer of my 7th grade year, and immediately was put in the Intermediate Band - the beginning of that school year, I tried (we had to play our scales and a musical piece) out and became seat 4 out of 11 clarinets - now I wouldn't call myself a prodigy, genius, yes... So I played flute in advanced band and clarinet in Intermediate - 8th grade I tried out the oboe over the summer, and was instantly put in ADVANCED BAND - only playing my flute in parades. So middle school, I got out of that hell hole (that's another story) playing 3 instruments.

High school was fun! I continued playing my flute in marching band, and I played oboe in Wind Ensemble! I tried bass clarinet, but "eh!" I liked E flat clarinet better! I played piano in the practice rooms (i play by EAR) - my mom bought be an alto sax and I took JAZZ BAND, lol. - Band was my life in HIGH SCHOOL - although I was in chorus, I didn't like it or the teacher. I'd often skip chorus and hideout in the bandroom....(talk about confessing) In church I played the BELLS for a while ~ sang in the teen choir - about it!

P.E. - ICK! I once told a substitute in PE that I needed to go study in the library - I went to the bandroom

In middle school, me and my friend would sit and gab about ALL MY CHILDREN and the PE teacher caught us at one point and said, "Take a lap!" I HATED THOSE 3 WORDS!!!!!!!!!!! - Running was NOT my cuppa tea! Neither was climbing the BLOODY ropes! UGH! (calls for Dr. Niles Crane) the only things I enjoyed were basketball and four-squares...I hated changing for PE and feeling icky for class - IT SUCKED! Thank goodness I had a mom that could write me PE notes if I asked her to PE was hell in Florida! The heat totally sucked and our school didn't have a pool, but it DID have a bloody track! Damn that track! (ok, I really DO need Niles now!) - crawls into a safe place....

Thank GOD for BAND!!!!!!!!!

Feen
Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #87
Frasier'sHairyMan
Three Cheers
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Frasier'sHairyMan Send a message via Yahoo to Frasier'sHairyMan

Wow. Your high school life sounds surprisingly like mine, except I was more into Brass than Woodwind. I was always hiding out in the band room, and I was in all of the All County and All State advanced bands and choruses. And I must completely agree with you all that PE is horrible. I rarely played and if I did I found some way to make fun of everyone for taking it so seriously. I guess great minds think alike.

Sternin/Crane '04
Frasier'sHairyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:39 PM   #88
barwars
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Frasier'sHairyMan
. And I must completely agree with you all that PE is horrible. I rarely played and if I did I found some way to make fun of everyone for taking it so seriously. I guess great minds think alike.
haha.... thats what I do.
I hate people obsessed with sports, where they take everything VERY seriously and know like every sport stat ever.

Its a freakin game.... if you suck you suck.
If your good.... more power to ya, now shut up.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #89
Moondance
MCR

Quote:
Originally posted by Frasier'sHairyMan
Wow. Your high school life sounds surprisingly like mine, except I was more into Brass than Woodwind. I was always hiding out in the band room, and I was in all of the All County and All State advanced bands and choruses. And I must completely agree with you all that PE is horrible. I rarely played and if I did I found some way to make fun of everyone for taking it so seriously. I guess great minds think alike.
One year, surprisingly enough, I was chosen to participate in the ALL-COUNTY chorus! I was like, "WOW!" I think I was a freshman and thought everything HIGH SCHOOL was great, lol! I went will many concert band competitions along with traveling with the marching band...one year we played for Vice prez Al Gore, and then we got chosen to be in a movie called "Contact!" So that was fun/honor to have Robert Zemekis telling us what to do!

Going to Six Flags was a fun thing to do with the band, as well!

Here's a cute little band story (i know we went off subject, sorry) -but one day we were marching and practicing outside school and right down the street they were filming the movie MARVIN'S ROOM starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep and Diane Keaton - well apparently they couldn't get out their diaglogue because of us so they said, "We'll pay you to GO inside!" HAHAHA - I just thought that was FUNNY!

Feen (who has a lot more stories if anyone is interested)
Old 07-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #90
Pirate Jenny
StrangeLittleGirl

Quote:

Oh, and I don't think I'm NOT smart as a result of the way I was treated. I know I am, I just stopped believing what people were saying. Now I simply don't see what the big deal is in being smart unless you've done something important and constructive with your life. Hell, I was more excited when I got my first C on a test last year than when I got As haha.
totally.

and since we're already so far off topic, I may as well join in the fun.

I haven't been in band since 8th grade
I haven't been in orchestra since 6th grade
my parents pushed piano, then cello, then flute lessons upon me so early in my life, that I eventually just...burnt out. So I have no regrets about not keeping up musically. At least instrumentally, though I still take musical theatre classes, and I take very good care of my voice. And my legs.

My high school experience was...different. I want to a performing arts high school. Ever see the movie FAME? Yeah, like that. Except, less 80's-esque. You had to audition to get in, but it was a public school. What happened was that it was the original high school in Las Vegas, but as it was in the centre of town, and more and more people moved out to the suburbs, and downtown got more and more seedy, they turned it into an Arts school to draw students. So we came from all over the county.
My school, although they were required by the state to have PE (ew), had NO atheletics. That was great.
We were a very offbeat group, my school. All the teachers WANTED to teach there, all the students WANTED to be there (and had to work their butts off to stay, once your grades dropped, they kicked you out), and most of us were there to escape from "conventional" high schools, most of us had been hurt enough in middle school enough that we would do anything to avoid that again, so the school was a bunch of quirky people reflecting and magnifying each other's quirks.
The teachers (especially those in the performing arts areas) were demanding, and there was plenty of melodrama (what do you expect? we were trained to perform), and life was spent in fear of being sent back to our "regular" high schools, either because of grades, or because the school was precariously under-funded, but...it was interesting.
I had an abbreviated high-school experience, though, only three years, as I graduated a year early.
Wouldn't trade it for anything though!