Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #181
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
I must say this was one of the few times where I disagreed with your commentary. Sightings aside, elements leading up to the disappearance and at the scene of his car, in combination with knowing AJ Breaux's personal story, make me suspect that the most direct and logical explanation for this story is that Breaux had found a partner, but someone reasonably far outside of town (good idea if you are trying to hide homosexuality in a small town), and got into an argument with that person that either resulted in his murder, or perhaps his suicide.

Explains the "missing" miles, explains the seeming lack of any clear financial motive, explains the missing milk (he bought it to bring to his destination, and as to why he would buy it before making a journey of 90-120 miles to see a partner, this was 91, late at night to begin with, in a rural area - perhaps he knew the store he was at would be open at 10PM, but by the time he got to where he was going, all stores would be closed).

Does not explain the in-town sightings, but I am inclined to believe people got their dates wrong, or there was simply someone who looked remarkably like AJ that they mistook for him (would explain the annoyed reaction, in one case).
You could definitely be on to something here... Perhaps he hooked up with someone who was discovered or got scared of being outed and blamed AJ for it (think Senator Larry Craig in the Minneapolis airport bathroom). If AJ had a relationship in the South with someone who got scared of being ruined by this, they could have blamed him and attacked/murdered him along with others. I don't see this as being that far fetched.

I agree with RobinW that whatever happened was probably sudden, as he left the money behind and I can't see him living for a long time without more concrete proof. I also agree that the sightings are either not him and/or the dates were mixed up. I swore I've seen friends of mine before out shopping, only to find out I was mistaken.

I also agree with RobinW that the milk is a big clue. Why would it be missing? That's why I think mozartpc27's idea is solid. It would explain a lot about the milk and the miles on the car.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #182
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
I'm surprised this concept is so foreign to you as it's been going on since the beginning of time. Many gay men, especially ones who grew up during AJ's generation are able to repress their true selves (or be in such deep denial) to the point that they do marry wives and have families for a variety of reasons, mostly not wanting to be rejected by their family and society. The majority of the time, they cannot repress those feelings forever and the consequences can often be brutal, like depression and suicide. Sadly, this still happens even today although it's not as common as 40 years ago.
DING-DING-DING! This is a great post, dynoguy.

I can't imagine the mental torture of living a lie like that. And it is waaaay more common than many people think, especially before the year 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82
Pardon my ignorace but how can someone who is gay have (biological) children and more than one at that? Without getting too graphic, I as a heterosexual cannot possibly imagine ever 'getting up' for anyone who wasn't an adult female, let alone 'staying up'.
I think desperate people do desperate things. I can't tell you for sure, but I would guess you use your imagination and picture what you want in your mind so the physical part can happen. It happens all the time in prison and I don't think most of the men who have sex in prison are truly homosexuals. It also wouldn't shock me if many of these men like AJ were reported to have an abnormal lack of sex drive and/or ED issues. Excuses like that would help with the cover-up. There are also plenty of women who later came out as lesbians, but for obvious reasons that would be much easier to fake in a marriage.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #183
dynoguy88

Quote:
Sightings aside, elements leading up to the disappearance and at the scene of his car, in combination with knowing AJ Breaux's personal story, make me suspect that the most direct and logical explanation for this story is that Breaux had found a partner, but someone reasonably far outside of town (good idea if you are trying to hide homosexuality in a small town), and got into an argument with that person that either resulted in his murder, or perhaps his suicide.
Hmm. You can't rule anything out because we just don't know. But your theory would explain the gas tank issue.

AJ got $10.00 worth of gas the day before his disappearance. At 1991 gas prices, that would have significantly filled your tank. But when his car was found the following day, the gas tank was almost empty. That car was driven a great distance after he was last seen.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #184
Jon
Forum Regular

Damn, this thread makes me really sad. I get the impression he was a really decent guy. I really hope the family gets the answers they deserve.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #185
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I haven't listened to Robin's episode yet, but I've never realized just how close AJ's car was dumped to where he was last seen alive. If it wasn't AJ driving the car, that tells me whoever dumped it picked that specific location for a reason. I wonder if it was because it was close to the building where they had their AA meetings. Which makes me wonder if it was somehow connected to that, and the gay angle was just a red herring in the case.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #186
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

A devastating quote from that 2017 story:

Quote:
We firmly believe that’s why our dad isn’t here today,” Tardo added. “Not only was he an AA member and a homosexual, but he worked in a men’s clothing store. For 30 years he could not say he was homosexual because men in the community had to go be fitted by him. He had no other trade, so that was his way of life.”
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #187
Huskerz85
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
I haven't listened to Robin's episode yet, but I've never realized just how close AJ's car was dumped to where he was last seen alive. If it wasn't AJ driving the car, that tells me whoever dumped it picked that specific location for a reason. I wonder if it was because it was close to the building where they had their AA meetings. Which makes me wonder if it was somehow connected to that, and the gay angle was just a red herring in the case.
The AA angle is troubling for me because there's no clear motive.

The more I think about it, the more I think about how similar this is to the case of Don Smith (where people theorized he was used for money until his killer disposed of him).
Huskerz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #188
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerz85 View Post
The AA angle is troubling for me because there's no clear motive.
I could see a few possibilities:

-AJ gets a call from someone in need (who could be on probation for an alcohol related offense), AJ goes to help this person and sees that this person has fallen off the wagon. AJ tells this person he has to notify the probation officer, and this person murders AJ in a fit of rage.

-AJ learned something that he shouldn't have and was killed to silence him.

-AJ was taken advantage of by someone who he tried to help and was killed for his efforts. Robbery could have been the intended motive for this, but because AJ was leery about this person, when he hid his wallet and checkbook, his killer never found it when searching.

I think the AA connection is more plausible due to where his car was dumped. Unless there was more than 1 person involved, someone would have had to have had a ride away from the area. Someone who's car was already at the Easy Does It Club (directly across the street from where AJ's car was found) would fit this. I also think the note should have been taken more seriously. I think if it was written by his killer, it's a half-hearted attempt at confessing without taking 100% of the blame. So they invent the fact that AJ was the one who fell off the wagon and that his death was this weird assisted suicide, when in reality it could have been the total opposite.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #189
RobinW

Quote:
Explains the "missing" miles, explains the seeming lack of any clear financial motive, explains the missing milk (he bought it to bring to his destination, and as to why he would buy it before making a journey of 90-120 miles to see a partner, this was 91, late at night to begin with, in a rural area - perhaps he knew the store he was at would be open at 10PM, but by the time he got to where he was going, all stores would be closed).
The milk is the main reason why I suspected A.J. was headed straight home and had no intention of going anywhere else that night. Milk is an item that will go bad within an hour or two if you don't refrigerate it, so it just seems weird that he would purchase it in Houma if he was planning to drive a long distance to see someone (did he really to buy milk THAT badly if he was going to meet a secret lover?).

But since A.J. lived with one of his daughters at the time and apparently went to the Easy Does It Club virtually every night, it would be interesting to hear if he had a tendency to stay out really late or it was his normal routine to come home sometime after 10:00 PM. If it's the latter, then this lends credence to the idea that something unexpected happened to him after he left the convenience store.
RobinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #190
dynoguy88

Quote:
-AJ gets a call from someone in need (who could be on probation for an alcohol related offense), AJ goes to help this person and sees that this person has fallen off the wagon. AJ tells this person he has to notify the probation officer, and this person murders AJ in a fit of rage.
With no cell phones in 1991 and him not being home yet, the only way he could have received a call for that scenario would be before leaving the Easy Does It Club...which, I'm just assuming had a phone. But the fact that he stopped at the convenience store for milk sort of nullifies that. Helping a friend or someone in need would be done FIRST over buying milk.

Your other two scenarios sound far more likely, IMO.

His car being found where it was may have been intentional to give the impression that he was abducted right after leaving the club. But someone drove that car a great distance to eat up the gas that AJ had just bought that day. And I don't see him driving to the convenience store, buying the milk and THEN driving back to the park.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #191
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88 View Post
With no cell phones in 1991 and him not being home yet, the only way he could have received a call for that scenario would be before leaving the Easy Does It Club...which, I'm just assuming had a phone. But the fact that he stopped at the convenience store for milk sort of nullifies that. Helping a friend or someone in need would be done FIRST over buying milk.

Your other two scenarios sound far more likely, IMO.

His car being found where it was may have been intentional to give the impression that he was abducted right after leaving the club. But someone drove that car a great distance to eat up the gas that AJ had just bought that day. And I don't see him driving to the convenience store, buying the milk and THEN driving back to the park.
The segment says AJ was last seen at the club at around 8:15. A half hour later is when he was seen at the convenience store. It's possible he was followed after meeting with this person and killed. It's also possible that AJ went to help someone who had fallen off of the wagon and was coaxed into joining them. I'm not sure what AJ's drink of choice was when he was drinking, but milk is often used in white russians.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #192
MrsD
First Time Poster

Hi all, long time listener first time caller. I would just like to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy reading these threads and seeing such varying opinions. That being said I would like to state my own theory on AJ.

Others have mentioned him falling off the wagon, in my theory this is case. Although I think that he may have been sneaking a cheeky drink here and there believing that his addiction was under control.

Perhaps some people at the AA meeting clicked on to this and staged an intervention, that would explain the suppose ‘kidnapping’. AJ wasn’t shouting or fighting for his life as he knew the people in the car. If AJ had been kidnapped and his life was in danger I’m sure he would of attempted to signal his friends who saw him, mouth help or something.

Maybe the people agreed that AJ could not be trusted to go home on his own so agreed to take him out of town to their own place to keep an eye on him. He was giving the chance to call a rehab centre, his AA bosses or his family to tell them what was going on but through shame he faked the call.

Once the friends got him to a safe place to detox, something took a turn for the worse. Withdrawals or a fight broke out. Unfortunately AJ expired and the three friends covered it up. I believe the three friends has good intentions and really wanted to help AJ but things got out of their control and they made a pact to stay quiet.

Anyway that is my theory and I’m sure someone is going to poke a million holes in it. Let me know what you think and I look forward to posting more.

Many thanks.
MrsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #193
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Hi all, long time listener first time caller. I would just like to take this opportunity to say how much I enjoy reading these threads and seeing such varying opinions. That being said I would like to state my own theory on AJ.

Others have mentioned him falling off the wagon, in my theory this is case. Although I think that he may have been sneaking a cheeky drink here and there believing that his addiction was under control.

Perhaps some people at the AA meeting clicked on to this and staged an intervention, that would explain the suppose ‘kidnapping’. AJ wasn’t shouting or fighting for his life as he knew the people in the car. If AJ had been kidnapped and his life was in danger I’m sure he would of attempted to signal his friends who saw him, mouth help or something.

Maybe the people agreed that AJ could not be trusted to go home on his own so agreed to take him out of town to their own place to keep an eye on him. He was giving the chance to call a rehab centre, his AA bosses or his family to tell them what was going on but through shame he faked the call.

Once the friends got him to a safe place to detox, something took a turn for the worse. Withdrawals or a fight broke out. Unfortunately AJ expired and the three friends covered it up. I believe the three friends has good intentions and really wanted to help AJ but things got out of their control and they made a pact to stay quiet.

Anyway that is my theory and I’m sure someone is going to poke a million holes in it. Let me know what you think and I look forward to posting more.

Many thanks.
Welcome to the board.

The problem with your theory is that AJ was seen about 15 minutes after leaving the Easy Does It Club at a convenience store purchasing milk, and the clerk said he was acting normal as was by himself. She was the last known, confirmed person to see him alive. I also don't think people with good intentions would abduct someone and not notify that person's friends and family as to what was going on.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #194
Labonte18
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Welcome to the board.

The problem with your theory is that AJ was seen about 15 minutes after leaving the Easy Does It Club at a convenience store purchasing milk, and the clerk said he was acting normal as was by himself. She was the last known, confirmed person to see him alive. I also don't think people with good intentions would abduct someone and not notify that person's friends and family as to what was going on.
While I agree with you that MrsD's theory in and of itself has some problems.. There's.. Logic to some of it.. Change a few things around on it and perhaps I can buy into it.

As I've mentioned before with my own experiences.. Missing persons cases are often afterthoughts for the police and they just don't get enough attention or actual detective work. Hell, forget detective work, just basic investigation sometimes doesn't happen.

So.. While there's pieces of MrsD's theory that don't work.. The overall general idea isn't necessarily out of the question.

The last sighting of him was buying milk after the meeting.. But when was it noticed that he was missing? I have assumed, and perhaps incorrectly, that he never made it home.. Did he live with his daughters or someone? Is it established that he didn't make it home that evening?
Labonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #195
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The last sighting of him was buying milk after the meeting.. But when was it noticed that he was missing? I have assumed, and perhaps incorrectly, that he never made it home.. Did he live with his daughters or someone? Is it established that he didn't make it home that evening?
He lived with one of his three daughters. And since the last sighting of him was when he was buying milk at the store, I think it's safe to assume he never made it home. All three daughters were frantic with worry the next day.

My main problem with MrsD's theory is that if these friends wanted to stage an intervention to the point that it basically involved kidnapping him, there would be no reason to leave the daughters in the dark. Any kind of logical intervention would involve the family members. They're the ones who had the longest history of living with AJ's addiction and were the most affected by it's drawbacks and improvement. To force an intervention FIRST and leave them completely out of the loop would be incredibly cruel.

This would also mean that the daughter AJ was living with would have had no idea he had even relapsed. I think that's asking a lot.