Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon
Daily Show Correspondent Gets Comedy Special; Fox Gets Jenna Dewan for Dance Show
Remembering TV Legend Diahann Carroll; Marvel and Hulu Bring New Series

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #76
PracTz

Yes, I think Mr. Marfeo killed his wife nine years before his own suicide and the murder of his onetime girlfriend but two things I have to wonder.

1. Could it have been JUST jealousy that caused him to kill the onetime girlfriend or could he have earlier told her what had happened to Doreen and, now that they were broken up, he was afraid she'd sing?

2. Could Doreen's family who refused to believe he was guilty of Doreen's disappearance (including her own mother even AFTER his confirmed murder-suicide) have ALSO blown off Doreen's earlier pleas for help because they liked him SO much that they didn't want him not to be part of their family? Crazy but this wouldn't be the first time a victim's family would side with their abuser (and, if they DID blow off Doreen, I seriously doubt they'd have honestly admitted this). .
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #77
yourhomiebrian
Frequent Poster

[QUOTE=TheCars1986]Thank you for sharing the link. UM left out yet another crucial detail when they profiled this case. Had they brought up the fact that Marfeo had hired two separate PI's to follow Doreen around, there'd be no question IMO that he killed her. It's already been proven that he killed someone in a fit of jealousy in 1999, so why is it so hard to believe he did it nine years prior?

EDIT - Just checked out the Charley Project website which featured Doreen's case and it had another interesting tidbit about good ol' Stephen:

"In June 1990, police received two typewritten letters. The first one stated that Stephen had strangled Doreen on the day of her disappearance and dumped her body in a pond in Providence, Rhode Island. The second letter accused Doreen of having affairs with some of her co-workers, men which the letter identified by name. Both letters were typed on a typewriter from Stephen's mother's house; authorities believe Stephen wrote them, although the letters refer to him in the third person. When the police confronted Stephen about the letters, he hired an attorney and stopped cooperating in the investigation."[/QUOT

I can't understand why Stephen would type a letter incriminating himself. He would have to be extremely arrogant to do something like that.
yourhomiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #78
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhomiebrian
I can't understand why Stephen would type a letter incriminating himself. He would have to be extremely arrogant to do something like that.
I think Stephen did it and suffered under a TON of guilt about it. I think the letters were Stephen's attempt at both confessing to and justifying what he did to Doreen.

When he ultimately killed himself, he left a note saying he felt "guilty" for Doreen's disappearance but he stopped short of confessing. He was obviously a troubled man who did horrible things to people and then would feel tremendous guilt about it.

Another one of the "Truth is stranger than fiction" crowd.
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #79
RobinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller
I think Stephen did it and suffered under a TON of guilt about it. I think the letters were Stephen's attempt at both confessing to and justifying what he did to Doreen.

When he ultimately killed himself, he left a note saying he felt "guilty" for Doreen's disappearance but he stopped short of confessing. He was obviously a troubled man who did horrible things to people and then would feel tremendous guilt about it.

Another one of the "Truth is stranger than fiction" crowd.
Yes, I think one of the reasons Doreen's family believed Stephen was innocent and openly supported him is because it sounds like he went out of his way to be nice to them after Doreen vanished. In fact, I believe I read somewhere that Stephen was giving Doreen's mother rides to medical appointments shortly before his death. I wouldn't doubt he did all this to overcompensate for feelings of guilt.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #80
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

This one really creeped me out
Finding out about the girlfriend murder turned suicide really scares me
Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #81
freakbook

The best part of waking up....is double murder in your cup.
Attached Images

freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #82
schmave
Forum Regular

As far as the "nine years longer than I should have" comment, one persuaded of his innocence could take it to mean his life had been meaningless since Doreen died.
To me, it's truly mindboggling that she has yet to be found after 28 years. He must have found the world's best hiding place. Any chance she was dumped in the Atlantic? Rhode Island is right on the coast and in the ocean, there's a good chance she'd never be found.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #83
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I was able to transcribe some of one of the letters that policed received a few months after Doreen disappeared, thanks to Amazon Prime. Here's what it said (spelling and punctuation corrected by me):

Quote:
Considering myself a good christian and citizen I feel a moral obligation to impart my knowledge of Mrs. Marfeo. Although on the outside she personifies class, beauty, and professionalism, in reality she is nothing more than a cheap harlot. A diabolical individual with an insatiable appetite for sex. I've been witness to the majority of the boys fondling her or worse in various locations throughout the premises. Her promotions were achieved by her sexual prowess rather than management or leadership abilities. I've seen disgusting acts of immorality unbecoming to a married lady. Experiencing mechanical failure one evening after work, I walked by her lighted office to use the phone. Upon opening the door, I found her and Mr. Inder engaged in the sinful sex of adultery. I excused myself and ran out.
The next few sentences are too blurry to make out complete sentences, but the gist of it is accusing her of being seen with an older man kissing in a car while the letter writer witnessed this while leaving a restaurant. The letter ends with, "God help her". I don't doubt for a second that Stephen Marfeo wrote this letter under the guise of a coworker who caught her cheating. Why else would he have hired 2 different PI's to trail Doreen for a year? Plus, UM says that the police were able to determine that this letter was written on a typewriter owned by Stephen's mother. He suspected she was cheating, so he killed her.

ETA: The second letter sent to police said this:

Quote:
Stephen Marfeo left his work place, drove home to have lunch with his wife. There was no lunch. Doreen sleeping on couch in living room. Stephen got hot under the collar. He made for couch and strangled Doreen. Stephen meted fast. He stuffed Doreen's shoes and handbag in a shopping bag and tied it on her waist. He wrapped body in blanket, secured it with clothesline rope. He deposited body in trunk of his car. Marfeo got in car, crossed Providence line. Two miles on a narrow dirt road he stopped and deposited his wife's body in reeds in a pond. Marfeo returned to work. A flat tire his excuse for extended lunch hour. Marfeo was home at 4 PM, on [illegible] phone calling police reporting his wife missing. Marfeo is highly skilled in fine art of deception. He can make a lie have the ring of truth.
I'm not so sure Marfeo wrote this 2nd letter. For one, it says he called the police at 4 on the day of her disappearance to report her missing. This isn't true. It took him 2 full days to report her missing to the police. I wonder if this was a friend of Doreen's, or a coworker/friend of Stephen's who suspected he was involved with his wife's disappearance and wanted the attention shifted to him. The cops seem to think Marfeo wrote both letters, but the tone and overall linguistics of both letters is strikingly different.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #84
James T

This guy was a true psychopath, never seen anybody so convincing on their segment-you could honestly believe he was telling the truth as opposed to the usual ones who look & sound insincere, arrogant, etc. He was so convincing he even managed to fool her sister & mother.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #85
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
This guy was a true psychopath, never seen anybody so convincing on their segment-you could honestly believe he was telling the truth as opposed to the usual ones who look & sound insincere, arrogant, etc. He was so convincing he even managed to fool her sister & mother.
I think UM helped play up his being believable. They used his story and narration about how Doreen was acting extremely strange days prior to her disappearance. They let him lay the groundwork for the theory that she either had an affair and ran off, or had a mental break and took off. And they offer no rebuttal. They use his story (which cannot be verified) as the back drop to the entire segment.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote