Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #61
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno123
If you want to talk about bad songs on TV shows, the Honeymooners from the 1969-1970 season with Joey Heatherton and that song "Beautiful Love" or whatever it was has to be, without a doubt, the worse song ever produced on television. "We're talking about love, love, love, beautiful love." Yuck, that was torture to sit through, the saving grace being that Jackie or Art did not perform that song!
I'll have to take your word on that. As I only bought the first set several years ago, and couldn't even get through that, I'm not inclined to buy the rest. So I'll probably never hear this awful song. I do have all the CBS episodes from the '50s, including the so-called lost episodes. And I'm perfectly content with those.

Quote:
I've decided to watch "Lucy Goes to Scotland" again here soon when I have a chance just because my friend TeeVeeCloset said he always enjoyed it.
One of these days, one of your "Scotland" haters is going to have to explain to my why you hate that episode because I just can't see what's so bad about it. No, it's not one of the funniest and not one I'm ever overly anxious to see, but I still find it sufficiently entertaining, especially Fred and Ethel as the two-headed dragon.

Quote:
Again, I can't say it enough that all aspects of Here's Lucy I'm looking forward to. As this being the only Lucille Ball series I have not seen many episodes of, I am looking forward to discovering new shows in what is for me the "lost Lucy episodes!"
That's exactly how I felt when PAX ran the series back in '98/'99. I hadn't seen most of those episodes since the early to mid '80s, so it seemed fresh to me. Also, at that point I had not been watching I Love Lucy regularly for several years, so I wasn't watching the show (as I had in the past) with I Love Lucy expectations, and was able to just accept it for what it was. If you watch this series with Love Lucy eradicated from your head, you'll probably realize that Here's Lucy is just as good, or better than, most sitcoms. Or you'll discover an occasional episode that's truly a gem. You'll also find it an improvement over the last couple seasons of The Lucy Show.

Quote:
And speaking of the release of Lucy's specials on DVD, I believe the "Lucy Gets Lucky" special that will be released in June along with the Gleason special was written by Bob O'Brien. I don't have any information here in the room with me, but going by memory I believe he wrote that episode. The special I'm looking forward to getting released is "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye."
Yes, Bob O'Brien wrote Lucy Gets Lucky. I have a bad copy of that one on video. It's okay. It was filmed without a studio audience, something that usually didn't work well for Lucille Ball (she needed her audience). They somehow managed to make the lack of a studio audience work with Lucy in London, but it didn't really work here. There are some laughs here and there, but Lucy needed the energy she got from her audience.

As for Happy Anniversary and Goodbye, I'm with you there. I have seen that one (also on bad video), and it's wonderful. I think it's her best, or at least second-best, special.
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #62
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmapi30
I just keep checking every day for the box art. wonder when we will get to see!!! I am almost nuts over this!! LOL
Hey, could you let us know when you do see the box art? I'm anxious to see it as well. I'm getting so excited here.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #63
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Letting TeeVeeCloset know--I got the Lucy & Desi Home Movie DVD and really enjoyed it--including the bonus features!!

As for off topic parts, i really don't understand why people hate "Drafted".
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #64
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Well, it was also 1986, and by that point viewers had been exposed to more than ten years of over-reacting "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" studio audiences. I know this sounds like ageism, but let's face it, Lucy and Gale Gordon were too old to be trying to pull off physical comedy stunts. Other than the cute kid who played the grandson, they had a pretty weak supporting cast. And the scripts were mediocre. Compound that with the fact that they scheduled the show on Saturday nights, a night that tends to have low viewership. And also, all three of Lucy's previous sitcoms were in heavy rotation at that time; thus, Lucy was actually competing against her own younger self by this point. (TBS was the biggest cable channel back then and had "The Lucy Show" on every day; "Here's Lucy" had been syndicated fairly widely for several years beginning in 1981; and "I Love Lucy" was everywhere.) If they had come up with a unique concept that would have given viewers a real reason to stay in on Saturday night, it might have worked. But instead, it was a retread/lesser version of what viewers were already able to see any day of the week.
True.

Yeah, the supporting cast was a bunch of overacting, yelling, d-listers. Although Jenny Lewis is now a musician. She was on Letterman awhile back with Elvis Costello.
dawsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #65
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude The Obscure

As for off topic parts, i really don't understand why people hate "Drafted".
I know why I hate Drafted...the thought that anyone would draft Fred is just too ridiculous for any show...even science fiction!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #66
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Letting TeeVeeCloset know--I got the Lucy & Desi Home Movie DVD and really enjoyed it--including the bonus features!!
Bonus features? Do tell....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #67
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
One of these days, one of your "Scotland" haters is going to have to explain to my why you hate that episode because I just can't see what's so bad about it. No, it's not one of the funniest and not one I'm ever overly anxious to see, but I still find it sufficiently entertaining, especially Fred and Ethel as the two-headed dragon.
Actually I do know what it is with this episode that I just didn't care for. I am not big on the fantasy sequences on TV shows, why I don't know but it's just never appealed to me. Occassionally there is one that I do enjoy, but something about episodes with dreams and fairy tale-like settings do nothing for me. I grew up when The Cosby Show was one, and I consider that my generation's I Love Lucy, but the episode where Rudy has the dream that she's in that fairytale just does nothing for me. "Scotland" may be one of my least favorite episodes, yet it is still better than a lot of series' episodes.
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #68
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:

I've decided to watch "Lucy Goes to Scotland" again here soon when I have a chance just because my friend TeeVeeCloset said he always enjoyed it. I've decided to clear my mind of past thoughts of the episode and watch it. I will admit it is one of the very few on the DVD's that I have not watched, so I'll watch it when I have a chance. (In black and white as I don't have the complete box set with the bonus material).

"
I don't know if you were being tongue in cheek sarcastic friendly with me my friend as well or got me confused with another poster, I said in my post I dislike "Scotland" as well as all other singing ILL episodes.....I like "Main Street" from TLS......I did say the colorized version is an amazing treat to see, the color is extremely vivid but it didn't make the episode any better..........
Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #69
Benno123
Jenna Fischer Rocks My World!!

Send a message via AIM to Benno123 Send a message via Yahoo to Benno123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
I don't know if you were being tongue in cheek sarcastic friendly with me my friend as well or got me confused with another poster, I said in my post I dislike "Scotland" as well as all other singing ILL episodes.....I like "Main Street" from TLS......I did say the colorized version is an amazing treat to see, the color is extremely vivid but it didn't make the episode any better..........
Here I was trying to do something good and then I went back and realized I misread your post! My fault .... and now that I am aware of my mistake, then I won't go back and rewatch "Scotland" afterall!!! Hahaha!
Benno123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #70
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Here I was trying to do something good and then I went back and realized I misread your post! My fault .... and now that I am aware of my mistake, then I won't go back and rewatch "Scotland" afterall!!! Hahaha!
You made me laugh.....try and get someone you know like I did to purchase the boxset and beg to borrow the bonus disc like I did...a public thanks to my own "Sandra Dee" friend, Jennifer!............if you are going to watch "scotland" ever again, it should be in the amazing color they created, yet it is so vivid, it looks candycoated.....but it really is cool to see.
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #71
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Someone put the color episode on youtube. Not sure if it's still there, but that's how I saw it. Love it.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #72
LittleRickyII

I've gotten word from someone who would know that we should expect to see some good extras on the "Here's Lucy" DVDs. Lucille Ball was known to be a pack rat who saved EVERYTHING. If you've ever heard Lucie Arnaz talk about the huge task she had going through her mother's scrapbooks, you'll know what I'm talking about. In a way, it's too bad Ms. Ball was not in charge during the "I Love Lucy" days because those who were in charge apparently decided to toss out everything that did not make it into the final print of the show. Consequently, there was very little available for extras on the "I Love Lucy" DVD sets. But by the "Here's Lucy" years, Lucy was the one at the helm, and true to form, it seems she kept tons of stuff, if not everything. When the original "Here's Lucy" DVD came out a few years ago, I thought those fabulous extras represented all the stuff that was able to be scraped together. Not so. Apparently, there's a virtual treasure trove of unseen footage that's been packed away all these years. The question is how much MPI is willing to use for extras. There's obviously an economies of scale issue, so we can't expect everything to make it onto the DVDs, but let's hope there's still plenty.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #73
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsongirl
Bonus features? Do tell....

sorry that I did not see your post earlier

An extended interview of Desi Jr and Lucie--Desi kinda dominates it IMO.

Two game show appearances by Desi Sr and Lucy--What's My Line? and I've Got a Secret.

Commercials done by Desi and Lucy.

the promos for the Here's Lucy Seasons 1-6 release.
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #74
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
sorry that I did not see your post earlier

An extended interview of Desi Jr and Lucie--Desi kinda dominates it IMO.

Two game show appearances by Desi Sr and Lucy--What's My Line? and I've Got a Secret.

Commercials done by Desi and Lucy.

the promos for the Here's Lucy Seasons 1-6 release.
Neat...thanks.