Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Emmy Awards to Go Without Host; New Caroline in the City DVDs Arrive

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default CBS and Viacom agree to reunite in a merger deal worth $12 billion

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...mount-pictures

The merger puts CBS under the same umbrella with MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, TV Land and other Viacom cable channels for the first time since 2006. "CBS, which is the larger of the two companies and worth $18.5 billion, will absorb the smaller Viacom, which owns such assets as MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Comedy Central and the Paramount Pictures movie studio in Hollywood," reports the Los Angeles Times. "The new company will be called ViacomCBS Inc., in a nod to the legacy of Sumner Redstone, the ailing 96-year-old media titan who built an empire from a small chain of drive-in movie theaters in the Northeast." ALSO: The merger brings together Cheers, South Park, Star Trek, SpongeBob SquarePants, Taxi, Mork & Mindy and The Brady Bunch.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
mikey0581
Forum Regular

Maybe with this merger, Nick and Nite and Tvland can be something better like it was in the glory days when CBS and Viacom were together then. One can hope?
mikey0581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
Tubehead

i hadn't watch nick at night in years! ever cents they cut off family ties the wonder years sanford & son family matters & home improvement!! i don't hardly watch tv land! i think they show too many westerns & not so classic tv shows!! last time i remember watching nick at night was when home improvement was on! i did watch it several years when they aired hanging with mr cooper!! but then it came on liked at 1:00 am to 3:00 am then at 6:00am! then they cut it off!! it didn't stay on but for couple months!! i don't think friends or the office should be on nick at night!! i think they should air some of the 1990 shows liked boy meets world or step by step!! ! last time i watch tv land when they aired batman with adam west!! that was right after i got out of high school!! ! some times i watch it for the goldbergs!! other then that i don't watch tv land or nick at night!! I also really hadn't been watching nicktoons!! they don't show any good shows any more !! i got all of the nickelodeon's 2014 teeange mutant ninja turtlers on dvd!! & i don't liked rise of the ninja turtlers!! I also didn't care too much for power rangers best morphers!! i enjoy ninja steel & super ninja steel better!! ! im kind of waiting to see if there going to repeat best morphers in liked marthorns !! it also seems liked they cut back on three Anmited shows & now showing live aciton shows! they had the dude project, i don't liked it much!! its more about sports! I don't liked the Anmited cartoon of henry danger!! i would rather just watch the live show!! i wish they would gave spoung bob an rest!! enjoyed it when they aired kung fu panda late night!! or at least switch it up an bit & show different nick toon!! i think i enjoy disney xd now more then nicktoons!! i also if you guys looking for kids channel check out universal kids! i been watching totally spies its Anmited tv serise!!!! they got live action shows for kids liked American ninja warrior for kids!! & the voice kids!!
Tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...mount-pictures

The merger puts CBS under the same umbrella with MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, TV Land and other Viacom cable channels for the first time since 2006. "CBS, which is the larger of the two companies and worth $18.5 billion, will absorb the smaller Viacom, which owns such assets as MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Comedy Central and the Paramount Pictures movie studio in Hollywood," reports the Los Angeles Times. "The new company will be called ViacomCBS Inc., in a nod to the legacy of Sumner Redstone, the ailing 96-year-old media titan who built an empire from a small chain of drive-in movie theaters in the Northeast." ALSO: The merger brings together Cheers, South Park, Star Trek, SpongeBob SquarePants, Taxi, Mork & Mindy and The Brady Bunch.

You can also include "I Love Lucy" and "The Andy Griffith Show" and other shows that were part of the Desilu studios before Lucy sold them to Paramount in 1968.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0581 View Post
Maybe with this merger, Nick and Nite and Tvland can be something better like it was in the glory days when CBS and Viacom were together then. One can hope?
ViacomCBS: Cable Channels Make Up a Mixed Bag

Quote:
The programming strategies for Viacom’s cable channels have evolved amid changes in leadership and direction in recent years. Here’s where they currently stand.

Comedy Central

Comedy Central is anchored by legacy franchises like its stand up specials, “The Daily Show,” “South Park,” “Tosh.0,” and “Drunk History.” In terms of ratings, the network notched a modest 1% increase in total day adults 18-49 in Q2 of this year, but also nabbed 1.7 billion social streams in the same time frame, its best quarter ever in that measure. Meanwhile, “South Park” is preparing to enters its 23rd season, which will also see the adult animated comedy cross the 300 episode mark. The network has also launched well-received shows like “The Other Two” and “Corporate” in recent years. Comedy Central is also preparing to launch a new scripted series from Awkwafina as well as an interview series from Anthony Jeselnik.

Paramount Network

Viacom rebranded Spike TV as The Paramount Network beginning in January 2018 with plans to refocus it as a more general entertainment network. Since the rebrand, the drama series “Yellowstone” has proven to be a breakout hit, routinely drawing an audience of around 5 million viewers in delayed viewing. Other Paramount Network fare has been less fortunate. The limited series “Waco” garnered some critical acclaim, but the network’s series version of “Heathers” — originally meant to help launch Paramount Network — had its premiere date pushed back multiple times in wake of several school shootings. Paramount Network eventually aired the entire series over five nights last October. Spike reality holdovers like “Ink Master,” “Bar Rescue,” and “Lip Sync Battle” continue to air on Paramount Network. Upcoming originals include Darren Star’s “Emily in Paris,” a series adaptation of the cult film “Sexy Beast,” and the drama “Coyote” starring Michael Chiklis.

TV Land

The network, which began as a home for reruns of classic shows, pivoted to original scripted fare in 2010 with the launch of the sitcom “Hot in Cleveland.” That strategy has failed to produce almost any hits, with the notable exception of the critically acclaimed “Younger.” That show remains a strong draw in its sixth season, notching a 15% increase in the key demo in delayed viewing over the fifth season premiere. Under Bakish, several shows that had either aired on or been in development at TV Land were shuttled over to Paramount Network, though none of those shows survived more than a season once they made the move. There were also plans to move “Younger” to Paramount Network for its sixth season before Viacom reversed course and kept it on TV Land. As it now stands, TV Land has no announced new originals on the horizon, with “Younger” being the sole TV Land original on its schedule.

Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon and other kid-focused brands have seen significant ratings drops as more and more young people have grown up in cord cutter households. In 2018 alone, all of Nickelodeon’s most popular programs saw double-digit linear viewership drops from the previous year. Network cornerstone “Spongebob Squarepants” alone saw a 30% drop year over year. Since Robbins took over, Nickelodeon has been making moves to expand its digital presence; announced its first ever spinoff of “Spongebob Squarepants;” acquired the rights to develop series based on Paddington, Garfield, and Lego movie characters; announced revivals of several of its classic shows; and set a first-look deal with multi-hyphenate Kevin Hart. The network has also ordered a space adventure series from Imagine Kids & Family and an animated “Star Trek” series from CBS TV Studios.

BET

BET surprised many back in June when it was announced that the cabler was preparing to launch a standalone streaming service called BET Plus. With the merger formally announced, however, it seems likely the new service will eventually be tucked into an existing streamer like CBS All Access. BET Plus will feature original shows from Tyler Perry as well as much of Perry’s library content. Tracy Oliver’s “First Wives Club” series is also expected to air on the service. That show had previously been in development at TV Land, Paramount Network, and BET before landing at its current home.

CMT

CMT managed its highest-rated years since 2014 at the conclusion of 2018 in the key demo, while the CMT Awards saw a noticeable increase in viewership. The latter increase was largely due to the awards show being simulcast on seven differnt Viacom networks. In terms of scripted shows, CMT previously revived the ABC country music drama “Nashville” for two more seasons after the broadcaster canceled it. Scripted shows like “Bounty Hunters,” “Sun Records,” and “Still the King” lasted one or two seasons at most. The network has now pivoted back to more unscripted programming like “Music City” and the Nashville-set reality series “Bachelorette Weekend.”

Logo

Logo’s LGBTQ-focused programming was formerly anchored by the acclaimed and highly-rated reality competition series “RuPaul’s Drag Race.” The show drew record audiences for the network, but Viacom moved it to VH1 ahead of its ninth season, with encores continuing to air on Logo. Likewise, the spinoff — “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” — moved to VH1 ahead of its third season. Since then, Logo has not programmed many originals but continues to air syndicated content.

MTV

MTV was one of few networks to post ratings gains in 2018, thanks in large part to shows like “Jersey Shore Family Vacation” and “The Challenge.” The network posted double digit gains in all but the adults 18-34 demo, and ranked fourth among all entertainment cable networks in total viewers for the year. MTV has had a rollercoaster ride in terms of programming strategy over the years. The one-time music branded network pivoted to mostly unscripted programming for a time, before launching into original scripted shows in the late 2000s. The network managed to produce a number of popular shows like “Teen Wolf,” “Scream,” and “Sweet/Vicious.” But under Bakish’s direction, MTV pivoted back to mostly unscripted fare like “Jersey Shore: Family Vacation,” “Floribama Shore,” and “The Hills: New Beginnings.” However, MTV announced the launch of MTV Studios last June, with the network recently ordering a “Daria” spinoff series with Tracee Ellis Ross set to voice the main character, Jodie.

VH1

VH1 found success with its string of “Celebreality” programs such as “The Surreal Life,” “Hogan Knows Best,” and “Flavor of Love” as well as its “I Love…” franchise. The network has continued to focus on reality programming despite some scripted shows like “Daytime Divas” and “The Breaks.” The focus on unscripted shows has helped buoy the network’s ratings in recent years, with shows like “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” “Basketball Wives” and the “Love & Hip Hop” franchise all remaining top ratings draws week after week.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote