Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Emmy Awards to Go Without Host; New Caroline in the City DVDs Arrive

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Default Let's play devil's advocate with interviewees' you didn't agree with

That's the best title I could come up with to make my point. Sorry.

I'm sure every once in a while we've all watched UM or some true crime show and heard an interviewee make a statement to which, despite not agreeing with or disbelieving everything else out of the person's mouth, we had to concede the point.

For example, as much as I think Noreen Renier and other psychics are full of it, her point about how people's brains work when they spell I thought had some validity. I've always had a very good memory for certain things like dates. I don't know how or why and I always just took it for granted since I don't remember not having such an ability. I've had people who have known me for years dead serious want to how I ever acquired such a skill.

I actually used a variation of Noreen's argument on a friend of mine when she asked me this for the billionth time. She was Puerto Rican and spoke fluent Spanish, so I calmly asked how her brain instinctively knew how to code switch when she spoke to her grandparents (who knew no English) and speaking perfect English with her non-Latino friends like me. It was like a the light finally came on and she understood my point. Although I don't believe Noreen had any special powers, her point about not always questioning how people got certain talents and abilities because they don't match your own instead of just accepting them and reaping the benefits can be applied to many other life situations. Not some ole psychic bull**** though. But maybe that's just me.

I also always thought Bonnie Haim's father made a fair point (although it was because he was in deep denial) about how Michael's shoeprint being in Bonnie's car in and of itself meant nothing as couples borrow each other's cars all the time.

Last edited by unsolved88; 08-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.
unsolved88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
WishfulDreamer

Good idea for a thread!

Here are a few that come to mind:

1) I think Stuart Heaton is guilty, but I can't disagree with his statement that a carpenter would have cuts on their hands.

2) I also believe Jeffrey MacDonald is guilty, but I couldn't argue with his defense attorney who was upset that he had so little time to go through the evidence. The defense should have had way more time to go through everything.

3) I didn't think he was guilty, but the guy who Kurt McFall was staying with, as shady as he seemed, made a good point that it would have been really dumb of him to kill someone when the victim's father knew he was staying with him.

I'm sure there are so many more, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Even though I don't think they are guilty, I've always never thought there was malice on the part of the investigators/prosecutors in suspecting the Dowaliby's in Jaclyn Dowaliby's murder, and the same with Patty Stallings.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer View Post

2) I also believe Jeffrey MacDonald is guilty, but I couldn't argue with his defense attorney who was upset that he had so little time to go through the evidence. The defense should have had way more time to go through everything.
Although it wasn't mentioned on UM, I read a book about MacDonald which stated that one of things investigators found suspicious about the crime scene was that a magazine with Charles Manson on the cover was sitting on the coffee table (implying of course that MacDonald had studied it and used it as a guide to kill his family). The author correctly points out that the Manson murders had only happened six months prior and if anything, it would have been more unusual for most Americans to have a copy or Time, Life, etc. that DIDN'T have something about the murders on the front page since that was all everyone was talking about at the time.

Seriously. That would be like calling someone a terrorist because they had an article about 9/11 in their home in the early part of 2002.

Last edited by unsolved88; 08-12-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Even though I don't think they are guilty, I've always never thought there was malice on the part of the investigators/prosecutors in suspecting the Dowaliby's in Jaclyn Dowaliby's murder, and the same with Patty Stallings.
Yes. I think there's a knee-jerk reaction when someone is found to have been wrongfully convicted that the police must have had it in for them the whole time. The immediate response when the person is released is "Well, the police never should have dared to question or investigate them in the first place.".

The truth is that random violent crime against children is much rarer than the media sometimes leads us to believe. When a child is harmed or killed in their own home, police are only practicing basic procedures and common sense by looking at the immediate family. This is different from abject corruption.

In general, I think this attitude comes from the narrative that often gets pushed in true crime shows (particularly the more modern ones) where victims and their families are always seen as right and the authorities are just big mean bullies who only want to get a conviction or antagonize the poor grieving family. There's very little gray area in such narratives.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved88 View Post
In general, I think this attitude comes from the narrative that often gets pushed in true crime shows (particularly the more modern ones) where victims and their families are always seen as right and the authorities are just big mean bullies who only want to get a conviction or antagonize the poor grieving family. There's very little gray area in such narratives.
UM was guilty of this too. The Norman Ladner case, for example, when Norman's mother made the claim that an "stranger" told her that she needed to drop looking into Norman's death because they'll never find the person who killed him...and it's presented in the segment as a factual truth.
TheCars1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
unsolved88
Forum Regular

Yeah, that’s exactly who I thought of when I wrote that. Cheryl Lombardi’s “demonstration” of the bullet hole in Tony’s headboard also falls into this category.

On the ID show Reasonable Doubt, the hosts (a former homicide detective and a defense attorney; not exactly laypeople) will sit down with the relatives of the person who may have been wrongfully convicted at the top of the show to discuss the case and evidence used to convict. A host might say something like “So-and-so’s fingerprints were found on the murder weapon” and the family will smugly shoot back with “Well, the police mishandled evidence to frame him/her”. You know it has to be on the tip of the hosts’ tongue to ask “Sorry, but you got your forensic and law degrees from where that you can just make that type of determination.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
unsolved88
Forum Regular

I never thought of Mary Helen Carr’s (Mac MacDonald’s girlfriend) mother as evil for not simply looking the other way and allowing her underage daughter to date a 20-year-old.

She should have probably been more understanding, but I always felt like the segment’s portrayal of her racing out of the house and snarling at Mac because he made small talk with her daughter about his motorcycle was an exaggeration colored by Mac’s perception of her at the time.

I don’t think Mac was a bad person at all, but I would be curious to know what Mary Helen’s recollections were, particularly since she actually lived with her mother.