Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Good Times links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Good Times Photo Gallery


Good Times - The Complete First Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete First Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Second Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Third Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Good Times - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series on DVD
Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season One (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Two (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Three (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - Season Four (Mill Creek) on DVD
Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Good Times - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Good Times

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
GoldenTV
Member
Frequent Poster
 
GoldenTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2019
Posts: 133
Default Penny having a crush on JJ

In the first of fifth season where Penny character is introduced, Penny follow JJ home because she liked him. And throughout the rest of season she had a crush on JJ with adolescent romantic tendency. But never toward Micheal.

I wonder how Micheal felt about that being that he is closer to Penny's age, and probably better looking than JJ. Micheal probably felt left out.
GoldenTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 90,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTV View Post
In the first of fifth season where Penny character is introduced, Penny follow JJ home because she liked him. And throughout the rest of season she had a crush on JJ with adolescent romantic tendency. But never toward Micheal.

I wonder how Micheal felt about that being that he is closer to Penny's age, and probably better looking than JJ. Micheal probably felt left out.

Yeah it would have made more sense for it to be michael instead of a grown ass man
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:48 AM   #3
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 9,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
Yeah it would have made more sense for it to be michael instead of a grown ass man
True, but JJ had a much more exciting personality than Michael who could be obnoxious and over-bearing. JJ was always light-hearted and fun. Michael's personality could be extremely grating at times.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 AM   #4
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 90,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie View Post
True, but JJ had a much more exciting personality than Michael who could be obnoxious and over-bearing. JJ was always light-hearted and fun. Michael's personality could be extremely grating at times.
The existence of the Penny character was pointless anyway and unrealistic because no 11 year old girl is going to express how she feels to a grown man.

So the whole thing was kind of creepy anyway lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #5
Janice Johnson
Commercial Lover
Senior Member
 
Janice Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 30, 2003
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTV View Post
In the first of fifth season where Penny character is introduced, Penny follow JJ home because she liked him. And throughout the rest of season she had a crush on JJ with adolescent romantic tendency. But never toward Micheal.

I wonder how Micheal felt about that being that he is closer to Penny's age, and probably better looking than JJ. Micheal probably felt left out.
Penny had a "Hero," crush on JJ in Season 5. She had a crush on him because he was nice to her on the bus and was a big role in getting her away from her abusive Mother and even gave up a date with Charlene in concern for the iron mark on her back. In Season 6 she saw him more like a big brother and not a possible boyfriend.
Janice Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 90,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Johnson View Post
Penny had a "Hero," crush on JJ in Season 5. She had a crush on him because he was nice to her on the bus and was a big role in getting her away from her abusive Mother and even gave up a date with Charlene in concern for the iron mark on her back. In Season 6 she saw him more like a big brother and not a possible boyfriend.
I was glad her role was decreased once Florida came back
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:18 AM   #7
GoldenTV
Member
Frequent Poster
 
GoldenTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2019
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
I was glad her role was decreased once Florida came back
The problem with Penny character was that Janet Jackson was a bad actor. If you watch her on the show, she seem to be watching the show and waiting for her line rather than being part of cast.
GoldenTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:27 AM   #8
GoldenTV
Member
Frequent Poster
 
GoldenTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 10, 2019
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Johnson View Post
Penny had a "Hero," crush on JJ in Season 5. She had a crush on him because he was nice to her on the bus and was a big role in getting her away from her abusive Mother and even gave up a date with Charlene in concern for the iron mark on her back. In Season 6 she saw him more like a big brother and not a possible boyfriend.
She liked JJ enough that made her start smoking that almost burn the whole apartment down
GoldenTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 9,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
The existence of the Penny character was pointless anyway and unrealistic because no 11 year old girl is going to express how she feels to a grown man.

So the whole thing was kind of creepy anyway lol
I agree. Thinking back to when I was 11, I would never, ever pour my heart out to a grown man. That is just ridiculous.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
Wawwie
Member
Senior Member
 
Wawwie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 26, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 9,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTV View Post
The problem with Penny character was that Janet Jackson was a bad actor. If you watch her on the show, she seem to be watching the show and waiting for her line rather than being part of cast.
True, Janet was not a great actress. She wasn't any better as "Charlene" on Diff'rent Strokes.
Wawwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
Janice Johnson
Commercial Lover
Senior Member
 
Janice Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 30, 2003
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,755
Default

I remember at least one Good Times fan saying something like,"Penny was like 11 chasing JJ who was like 21! What the hell was an 11 year old CHILD doing chasing a 21 year old ADULT around? My Mama woukd gave whooped me so hard if I was chasing a 21 year old man when I was only 11!"
Janice Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 90,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawwie View Post
True, Janet was not a great actress. She wasn't any better as "Charlene" on Diff'rent Strokes.
she was less annoying on DS since she was a better fit. She didnt belong on Good Times. Everyone was older and she was the only kid
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 AM   #13
Janice Johnson
Commercial Lover
Senior Member
 
Janice Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 30, 2003
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan View Post
she was less annoying on DS since she was a better fit. She didnt belong on Good Times. Everyone was older and she was the only kid

Michael was still technically a child in the Penny Seasons. And in Season 6, they brought in more Child Characters such as The Kid with The Hearing Problems, Penny's Friend played by Kim Fields, Chip Hurd Fields's real life Daughter, and The Gary Coleman character...
Janice Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:23 AM   #14
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 90,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Johnson View Post
Michael was still technically a child in the Penny Seasons. And in Season 6, they brought in more Child Characters such as The Kid with The Hearing Problems, Penny's Friend played by Kim Fields, Chip Hurd Fields's real life Daughter, and The Gary Coleman character...
By time they did that Florida was back so it didnt matter
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.