Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Once you close your mind to other possibilities.. Your mind is closed to justice.
I was convinced that he was innocent for years...until I started to consider the possibility that he wasn't. And what has been often reported by Zeigler supporters as "proof" that he didn't kill his father-in-law was the DNA testing conducted on the blood found on his shirt matched Charlie Mays only is wrong. Perry Edwards could not be excluded as a contributor to a mixed stain found on the underarm of Zeigler's shirt. And the testimony at virtually every appeal by multiple witnesses has been that of the blood spatter found on the back of Zeigler's shirt (droplets, not stains) could not have happened if he crawled over Charlie Mays's body, or been in the area when he was beaten to death...but he had to be the one straddling him while Mays was being beaten. Zeigler's defense has never successfully (or even attempted to) rebut this evidence. And that was the first thing that made me question his innocence.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #17
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
(hair evidence for example is seen as junk science, whereas ballistic evidence isn't)
To be fair, blood-spatter analysis isn't universally recognized as scientifically grounded. Even the National Academy of Sciences has held it at arms' length:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/228091.pdf

I don't know if you've read much about Herb MacDonell, the soft-spoken bespectacled gentlemen who sometimes shows up on many of the crime shows we all watch. He passed away last year and is considered one of the grandfathers of the field. Despite his background as a chemist at Corning Glass (not Dale Kerstetter's plant of course, but the headquarters in Corning, NY), his qualifications to develop a system of scientifically analyzing bloodstain patterns are pretty dubious. Unfortunately, his models have been widely taught to law enforcement personnel and other forensic "experts" for over 40 years:

https://features.propublica.org/bloo...es-and-courts/

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #18
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86 View Post
To be fair, blood-spatter analysis isn't universally recognized as scientifically grounded. Even the National Academy of Sciences has held it at arms' length:
By itself, it would be dubious. Taken with everything else known about the Zeigler case, and IMO, it’s damning. And it wasn’t even necessarily the testimony of the blood spatter that started to sway me. It was Zeigler’s defense, on multiple appeals, who never challenged the testimony or the evidence.

ETA: Virtually everything about this case has always been presented with a pro-Zeigler slant. You really need to dig to find anything remotely questioning his innocence. I found one of his appeals (from 2012) to the Florida Supreme Court online, and it goes into detail about the blood evidence. I found the following interesting (emphasis in bold is mine):

Quote:
Testimony given at both the trial and evidentiary hearing indicated that the stains on the back of Defendant's red shirt were not transferred from the floor, as Defendant claims, but instead were consistent with a beating wherein the instrument used in the beating caused the blood to initially spray upward, then fall back onto the shirt. Even though all the stains on the shirt were not tested, testimony was adduced that if the spatters on the Defendant's shirt came from Mays, Defendant was the one who beat Mays to death. No findings were introduced which contradicted this testimony. Unsurprisingly, the blood on the back of Zeigler’s shirt is regarded by the defense as irrelevant to anything. That position is incredible.
Another tidbit that is often misreported by Zeigler supporters, is that prior to the granting of the DNA testing on Zeigler's shirt, Zeigler's defense had argued:

Quote:
that DNA testing may rebut the State's hypothesis that the type ‘A’ bloodstains found on Zeigler's clothing originated from a struggle with Mays or [Perry] Edwards.
Weird how they never mention that they said that the DNA on Zeigler's shirt wouldn't have matched Perry Edwards OR Charlie Mays, and now have restructured their claims to say that Zeigler fought with Mays in the store (something he has never said in any of his versions that night; he says he was bounced around and swinging his fists, not beating someone to death).

Zeigler hired an expert (in 2011, when yet another round of DNA testing was granted for him) named Paul Kish to go over evidence and select items that were previously untested, to be tested with the new round of DNA testing. Kish picked out stains on Zeigler's shirt and said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kish
Spatter stains, and other type of stain patterns which could be produced during a violent event, which, if Mr. Zeigler was lying in indicating that he was not near these people during the events, then the bloodstain patterns that I am locating would conflict with what he has stated happened.
Kish recommended 4 areas of Zeigler's shirt and 2 areas on Zeigler's pants to be tested:

-left sleeve
-stains on the front of the shirt
-right front shoulder
-right cuff
-lower left pant leg
-upper left thigh area

Kish said that by testing these areas and determining whose blood it was would place Zeigler in "close proximity" to that person when they were murdered. The problem is that all of these areas were already tested in 2003 (Kish was unaware of what had been tested prior to his joining the case). And after those tests in 2003, the DNA evidence taken from the underarm of Zeigler and on the front of his shirt:

Quote:
Blood taken from the underarm area of Zeigler’s undershirt generated only one (1) marker. That marker was consistent with Mr. Mays’ blood and not consistent with Mr. Edwards’ blood. However, Weiss testified that this particular marker is what is called a “14/17” -- Mr. Mays and Mr. Edwards share “14” but not “17.” This may be a mixed stain from two sources, and Mr. Edwards cannot be excluded as a source.
The stains found on Charlie Mays's pants that matched Perry Edward's were large, saturated stains. One would think there would have been several small droplets on his pants if he was present at or participated in the murder of Perry Edwards.

Source 1
Source 2

Last edited by TheCars1986; 05-01-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #19
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

I do think Zeigler was involved, somehow, with Ed Williams or Charlie Mays or both (I think Williams is more likely), and the Zeigler was the ringleader, and that he attempted a double cross of Williams and/or Mays, succeeded in the latter case, failed in the former, and wound up paying the price as Williams was able to testify against him at the trial.

Just my personal theory, and I hate to accuse someone who has never been accused by the competent authorities. Is it known if Ed Williams is even still alive at this point?

It wouldn't surprise me if Zeigler told Williams and/or Mays that he wanted them to help him stage a robbery as part of an insurance scheme and he would split the proceeds with them, without mentioning his real intention was to kill them both and frame them for the murders.

The only thing that doesn't quite make sense, and why I think Mays might have been innocent in the entire affair, is why involve more than one co-conspirator? Only adds to the number of murders he had to (attempt) to commit, and to the complications of the plot.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #20
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
And it wasn’t even necessarily the testimony of the blood spatter that started to sway me. It was Zeigler’s defense, on multiple appeals, who never challenged the testimony or the evidence.
I thought so, since you know this case inside and out, but blood spatter "expertise" on its face gives me great pause anymore. It didn't just a few years ago and perhaps I'm just hypersensitive about it.

Quote:
ETA: Virtually everything about this case has always been presented with a pro-Zeigler slant. You really need to dig to find anything remotely questioning his innocence.
I've noticed. It's frustrating.

Quote:
Weird how they never mention that they said that the DNA on Zeigler's shirt wouldn't have matched Perry Edwards OR Charlie Mays, and now have restructured their claims to say that Zeigler fought with Mays in the store (something he has never said in any of his versions that night; he says he was bounced around and swinging his fists, not beating someone to death).
Now I think I'm picking up what you're putting down. And it's like no one wants to acknowledge that Zeigler himself has never addressed these theorized variations of that night's events. Even if he inwardly thought keeping quiet and letting the lawyers work their magic might increase his chances of being released, it sort of flies in the face of that 'gentle Tommy, mild and meek' image--the one of a man honest and law-abiding to a fault.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #21
mercy1825
Frequent Poster

Quote:
-Gregory Taylor in NC for the murder of Jacquetta Thomas

-The West Memphis 3 (Alford Plea but still released from prison due to pushback from celebrities and innocence groups)

-Ryan Ferguson is another one that I have questions about. The story has never sat right with me.

-Central Park 5 - DNA was used at their trial and the prosecution admitted in their closing arguments that the DNA recovered matched none of the 5...yet all 5 confessed to taking part in the attacks in the park that night as well as attacking a female jogger and pinning her down.

These are the highest profiles I could think of that have been released (and some awarded millions of dollars) who I think are guilty. But there are several more who are still in prison (most recently Rodney Reed for example) who I believe to be guilty and activists are twisting the truth to attempt to free them. Roger Keith Coleman was another example that was used as the poster child for wrongful convictions and he even made it to a Time Magazine cover. He was executed and his supporters still pressed for the evidence to be retested...and then it was, and the DNA found on the murder victim matched Coleman. Granted, this is very rare, for something like this to happen...especially in light of the advances in DNA testing, but I always like to question everything when going into cases.

Wow! Gregory Taylor? I am wondering where that is coming from. I haven't looked into that case enough to form an opinion but it seems Brady violations were committed by the prosecution in not disclosing that the stain on his wheel well was NOT blood. Not only was he freed, but he was declared Innocent by the state of North Carolina. What is the basis of your opinion if you do not mind me asking?
mercy1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy1825 View Post
What is the basis of your opinion if you do not mind me asking?
https://www.google.com/books/edition...&bsq=jacquetta

^Start on page 285 and read that.