Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > TV Series on DVD/Streaming News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Ted Lasso Coming Soon to Apple TV+; Quibi Picks Up 2nd Season of Dishmantled
Disney+ Orders Second Season of Diary of a Future President; Young Sheldon Streaming on HBO Max
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 1, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Max Acquires Young Sheldon; Simpsons Now Available in Original Aspect Ratio on Disney+
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight and Improve; Remembering Richard Herd of Seinfeld
Apple TV+ to Reboot Fraggle Rock as Series; Virtual Table Read for Bless the Harts on June 1
2021 Programming Set for FX; Hollywood Game Night Returns for 5 Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April/May/June)

Martin - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season

02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-09-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Quibi is shooting itself in the foot by forbidding screenshots

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/8/21...ral-tiger-king

The shortform streaming service, which had a disappointing launch on Monday, is hurting itself by not allowing users to share their Quibi content via screenshots, says Julia Alexander. "Trying to describe Quibi’s essence to people is difficult," says Alexander. "There are shows where food explodes in chefs’ faces, series about flipping murder homes, and Chrissy Teigen presiding over a small claims court. Quibi’s best content operates on the belief that 'the more ludicrous, the better,' but that’s easier to show than tell. Or it would be if people could share any of what they were watching. Quibi doesn’t allow people to take screenshots while shows are playing. Any effort to do so produces a black screen. Quibi isn’t the only streamer in this predicament. Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and other video apps also have their content blacked out when people take screenshots. Unlike its bigger competitors, however, Quibi lacks any kind of web browser support. There’s no desktop experience. So while it’s trivially easy to screenshot something on your computer, there’s no equivalent for Quibi. If I want to share a moment from a series or movie, I can just load up Netflix on my laptop." Alexander adds: "Not being able to share outlandish or impressive parts of a series is detrimental to new shows looking for success."

Quibi received a tepid response on social media when it launched on Monday

Yet another data analytics firm found Quibi's launch to be disappointing. Research from ListenFirst Media found that Quibi was the subject of only 46,554 Twitter posts on Monday. Apple TV+'s launch generated 8.6 times more tweets on Nov. 1. Disney+ debut on Nov. 12 had 23 times more tweets.

Quibi is YouTube for people who hate YouTube

"I surprisingly like the platform’s truncated, tiny-screen reframing of big TV," says Lorraine Ali, in a Quibi conversation with fellow Los Angeles Times TV critic Robert Lloyd. "Its curated collection of original shows is a welcome alternative to the short-form viewing experience I’ve grown accustomed to bemoaning. YouTube is like rummaging through the final sale bin of a deep discount store. There’s a lot of clutter, it’s a lot of work, and there are not enough redeeming finds among all the amateur skit comedy my teenager hate-watches to justify the time spent. Quibi’s a better option for impatient viewers like myself, who want to avoid endless wormholes but value series TV that clocks in under 10 minutes per episode." But Lloyd counters that YouTube, and other web-based platforms, "with their open doors and low bars (you do not need to take a meeting with Jeffrey Katzenberg, or anybody, to get your show onto YouTube), is that what it has to offer is unpredictable, personal, oddly shaped." Ali responds: "I agree that the democratic nature of YouTube and the like is a good thing. But it’s overwhelming and I’ve found in the current political climate of misinformation and polarizing rants, I need corporate alternatives to the corporate alternative. I’m sure that will change when the pendulum swings back toward total studio control, and Quibi has devoured us all."

ALSO:
  • Why are Quibi's scripted shows so mediocre?: "Were they poor choices to begin with, or is Quibi’s 'movies in chapters,' as it calls the format, sabotaging them?" says Mike Hale, who adds: "All of the shows scan quickly — you catch on to who’s important and what they’re like within an episode or two. That doesn’t mean they move quickly, though. Situations and stories are two different things, and the staccato rhythm of the short episodes appears to get in the way of moving the stories forward. In each of the shows, the main plot seems to be just getting underway, or about to get underway, after close to 40 minutes. The reason for that, it seems fair to say, is less a failure of execution than a failure of imagination at the beginning of the process. Rather than explore new storytelling forms suited to the cellphone — the way Snapchat and the users of TikTok do — Quibi, on the evidence of these early shows, is taking conventional dramatic formulas and simply rendering them into bite-size videos. That may be exactly the business plan, but as an artistic strategy it’s headed nowhere."
  • While one data analytics firm said 300,000 users downloaded Quibi on the first day, another firm estimated that 700,000 users actually signed up: "The sharply varying numbers make it difficult to determine how much traction Quibi gained on its launch day and exemplifies the difficulty of determining how successful streaming services are," says Tyler Hersko. "While Nielsen’s ratings have long been the voice of authority for television viewership, there is no standard of measurement for the industry’s numerous streaming services."
  • Quibi has a lot of work to do after a disappointing launch: "Here’s the thing about Quibi: Its content skews young and it feels like an app made primarily for a demographic who don’t mind streaming on their phones. (I’m talking, of course, about the teens.)," says Catie Keck. "Because the service launched with some 50 shows, it probably does have something for everyone, but it’s unlikely on-the-fence viewers will be able to easily find what they’re looking for given the app’s oddly organized interface these. And even if they do, again, there’s the whole tiny screen limitation. It’s quite possible Quibi will see a ton more use when people start leaving their homes again and have more of a reason to be watching on mobile in their everyday life."
  • Quibi's main competition, YouTube, already offers free go-to service for bored people desiring quick-hit distractions
  • Tituss Burgess can't believe Dishmantled is a real show, either: “My agent called and said, ‘What if there was a show where you got to blow up food on people?’ and I literally started laughing,” says Burgess. “I was like, ‘Oh, that’ll be the day. But sign me up when it happens.’”
  • Dishmantled isn't even pretending to be about food
  • Nikki Fre$h is rooted in a hashtag Nicole Richie started using to accompany posts about her edible garden: “I fell in love with it, and started hashtagging all my harvests because that’s what Oprah does so I was like, I have to also," says Richie.
  • Ranking Quibi's 24 launch day shows: Nikki Fre$h is No. 24
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote