Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Fresh Off the Boat links at Sitcoms Online / Fresh Off the Boat Photo Gallery

Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete First Season

Buy Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Fresh Off the Boat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Renews Duncanville for Second Season; Remembering Forrest Compton of Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Quibi Launching Today, Brings on Will Smith Hosted Series; NBC Calls on Blindspot Earlier Than Planned
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 6, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Executive Producers of The Office Considering New Work-at-Home Comedy; Lights Out with David Spade Gets Lights Turned Out Permanently
Fri-Yay: Community Moving to Netflix Next Week; NBC Announces Final Episodes of Season List
American Dad! Celebrates 15th Anniversary; The Official Robin Williams YouTube Channel Launches
CBS All Access Is Tooning Out the News in This Pandemic Crisis; The CW Summer 2020 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

TV ABC Cancels "Fresh Off the Boat"

"Fresh Off The Boat" To End after Season 6 on ABC
by Denise Petski
Nov. 8, 2019

"Fresh Off the Boat" will not be back for a seventh season. ABC has opted not to renew the groundbreaking comedy series, Deadline has confirmed.

It will end with an hour-long series finale on Friday, February 21 at 9 PM.

We couldn’t be prouder of this game-changing show and the impact it has had on our cultural landscape. The success of ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ has helped pave the way for inclusion throughout the industry. Nahnatchka Khan and her brilliant creative team have created an unforgettable series with an Asian-American family front and center, something that hadn’t been done in two decades.

The cast, led by Randall Park and Constance Wu, is one of the finest and funniest on television. We’ll miss the Huang family and are eternally grateful for the incredibly heartfelt stories they have told these past six seasons,
” Karey Burke, president, ABC Entertainment said.

I’m so proud of the show and what we’ve accomplished over the past six seasons,” said series creator Khan.

Thank you to everyone at ABC and 20th Century Fox Television for going on this ride with us. It was truly a special experience and hopefully will forever be a reminder of all the stories out there that deserve to be told. Like B.I.G. said, ‘And if you don’t know, now you know.’

https://deadline.com/2019/11/fresh-o...bc-1202781378/
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
TMC
Forum Celebrity

One has to wonder if ABC announcing it is over at 15 episodes without a back order a response to Constance Wu's over-the-top reaction to the show's renewal. Maybe, ABC just wanted to stop production after the number of episodes they ordered came in. Also, apparently, FOTB is doing real badly in cable reruns. So one would imagine that the distributor would have found a way to shell out for a few more episodes in the least if its syndicated run was doing well.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

I knew it was coming when they moved to Friday Death Day. Makes me worry for American Housewife too (though I've not followed it for awhile. The gratuitous musical eps. pushed me out)
JMFabiano524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
"Fresh Off The Boat" To End after Season 6 on ABC
by Denise Petski
Nov. 8, 2019

"Fresh Off the Boat" will not be back for a seventh season. ABC has opted not to renew the groundbreaking comedy series, Deadline has confirmed.

It will end with an hour-long series finale on Friday, February 21 at 9 PM.

We couldn’t be prouder of this game-changing show and the impact it has had on our cultural landscape. The success of ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ has helped pave the way for inclusion throughout the industry. Nahnatchka Khan and her brilliant creative team have created an unforgettable series with an Asian-American family front and center, something that hadn’t been done in two decades.

The cast, led by Randall Park and Constance Wu, is one of the finest and funniest on television. We’ll miss the Huang family and are eternally grateful for the incredibly heartfelt stories they have told these past six seasons,
” Karey Burke, president, ABC Entertainment said.

I’m so proud of the show and what we’ve accomplished over the past six seasons,” said series creator Khan.

Thank you to everyone at ABC and 20th Century Fox Television for going on this ride with us. It was truly a special experience and hopefully will forever be a reminder of all the stories out there that deserve to be told. Like B.I.G. said, ‘And if you don’t know, now you know.’

https://deadline.com/2019/11/fresh-o...bc-1202781378/
They're gushing more than a Texas oil well.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
Lorimar Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFabiano524 View Post
I knew it was coming when they moved to Friday Death Day. Makes me worry for American Housewife too (though I've not followed it for awhile. The gratuitous musical eps. pushed me out)
That ep was lame but the rest have been great. This season is very good, you should check it out!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Fresh Off the Boat was a game-changer for Asian-American representation

As Ken Jeong recently tweeted, the ABC comedy that is ending next year after six seasons paved the way for Crazy Rich Asians as well as his ABC sitcom Dr. Ken. As Cary Chow adds: "Like any content featuring minorities, Fresh Off the Boat doesn’t represent the entire Asian American diaspora, but I sure could relate to a helluva lot of it. It helped usher Asian American faces into the limelight, share some of our culture and dispel stereotypes." Chow adds that Fresh Off the Boat 's legacy will be helping Asian-American kids struggling with their own identity.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
king of comedy

I'm glad that it was given a chance.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

Sorry to see it end. I enjoyed most of the episodes and the cast was a good one. I wonder if Constance and Randall would rather pursue movie careers than be in a tv show though?
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

ABC Boss Says Constance Wu did not Kill "Fresh Off the Boat"
by Michael Ausiello
January 8, 2020

Constance Wu‘s renewal-meltdown-heard-’round-the-world was not a factor in ABC’s decision to make the sitcom’s current season its last, according to ABC’s top exec.

ABC entertainment president Karey Burke maintains that the Wu controversy did not kill the show, telling reporters at the Television Critics Assoc. winter press tour, “Constance actually was incredible this season on the show, and we were thrilled to have her there. Ending the series really was a joint decision between us and [20th Century Fox] and the creators.

We all felt that, given the life of these characters, it was time to move on. Eddie’s graduating from high school and moving out of the house. It just felt like it’s coming to its natural story conclusion.

https://tvline.com/2020/01/08/fresh-...ntroversy-abc/
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Constance Wu holds back tears discussing filming Fresh Off the Boat's series finale

"The last episodes (are airing soon), but we've already finished filming and it was really sad to film the last week," she told ET. "Bittersweet, I mean, 'cause we're all so grateful for the experience and we all love each other so much, but (are) really sad to have it end...This has sort of become my family and kind of become my home for the past six years, and to say goodbye to that was really hard... I just really love the cast and crew so much and it was just really sad to say goodbye."
Old 02-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #11
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Fresh Off the Boat says farewell after kicking off an Asian-American entertainment revolution

With Episodes 115 and 116, the groundbreaking Asian-American comedy said goodbye Friday night after six seasons with an episode fittingly titled "Commencement". As Inkoo Kang points out, Fresh Off the Boat helped launch and pave the way for a number of Asian-American stars, from Randall Park to Constance Wu to Ali Wong. "Today's Asian American boom likely would have happened at one juncture or another, but it is genuinely remarkable how many Asian American projects — and how many different kinds of Asian American representation — have come out of Fresh Off the Boat," says Kang. "To briefly play Sliding Doors, if ABC had never taken a chance on Fresh Off the Boat, it's harder to imagine Crazy Rich Asians being greenlit with nary a recognizable star, especially one like Wu, who had garnered much good will in the show's early seasons by advocating for Asian American issues off screen as well. Crazy Rich Asians went on to launch future Paul Feig muse Henry Golding and eventual Golden Globe winner Awkwafina — and while Lulu Wang has stated that the latter came on The Farewell team's radar well before Crazy Rich Asians, the rapper-turned-actress' scene-stealing turn in the record-breaking rom-com could only have helped the smaller arthouse drama, and led to her own (much raunchier) family sitcom on Comedy Central, Awkwafina is Nora From Queens. And if an experienced lead actress like Wu hadn't been around for Crazy Rich Asians, the industry's abominable trend of whitewashing Asian protagonists might well have continued for Hustlers. Fresh Off the Boat also boosted the career of Ali Wong, who has become, with just two Netflix specials, arguably the most acclaimed Asian American comic ever. (In Baby Cobra, her first special, the visibly pregnant but decidedly family-unfriendly Wong devotes a segment to the discomforts of going to the bathroom at work as an early Fresh Off the Boat writer.) Wong's vaulting into stand-up's top tier paved the way for last year's cultural phenom Always Be My Maybe, an unofficial Fresh Off the Boat reunion between the former writer, star Randall Park and creator Nahnatchka Khan that borrowed liberally from the series' 90s nostalgia and offbeat sweetness."

ALSO:
  • Fresh Off the Boat mattered because it didn't transform the sitcom as we know it: Celebrity chef Eddie Huang, whose memoir inspired the groundbreaking Asian-American sitcom, voiced his disapproval early on with the series' middle-of-the-road interpretation of his story and fictionalized persona. "His criticisms have merit; all of these characters, even (Constance) Wu's sharp and hard-to-please Jessica, represent fairly formulaic archetypes in the world of broadcast sitcoms," says Melanie McFarland. "But in a way, that was the point: Fresh Off the Boat doesn't exist as a network's performative token of inclusion. It's a series starring Asian Americans telling its version of universally relatable stories about the human experience without negating the family's shared cultural identity or sidelining each character's individual personality. Its writers also used the show's primetime platform to tell vital stories about racism and immigration through the Huangs' experience without abandoning its comedic spirit. People should also appreciate the show's status as the only broadcast primetime series that features a co-star regularly speaking Mandarin, in the form of Lucille Soong's straight-faced Grandma Huang."
  • Early critiques that Fresh Off the Boat relied too much on Asian stereotypes proved to be unfair: "Looking back, I find these critiques to be unfair and expectant of too much," says Wesley Yiin. "But they were also a reasonable symptom of a very particular fear: that the show represented a once-in-a-generation shot to get this right. Asian American viewers wanted it to be an accurate, authentic reflection of their own lives and thus pulled it in a million directions. On an aesthetic level, critics and creators wanted it to be funnier, bolder, and more specific. In the wake of (Eddie) Huang’s rebuke, even those who argued in the show’s favor seemed compelled to simultaneously ding it... But, as with many shows, FOTB’s first season may have been more of a practice run. In its second and subsequent seasons, the show still had its repetitive moments — an issue faced by most network sitcoms — but there were also definite highs of weird and specific brilliance: when, in season two, Evan thinks about changing his American name because he finds his parents’ choice uninspired; or when, in season four, viewers are treated to an episode of near-complete Mandarin dialogue, as the Huang family competes to see who can go the longest without saying anything in English; or the stellar season three installment in which Jessica spikes with jealousy when Evan goes to church with friends in lieu of their usual Sunday trip to Costco."
  • Randall Park says Louis Yang's worldview made him a more positive person: "It definitely became a part of mine, in terms of his positivity, his love of life and the people around him," he says. "He’s just such a loving soul, and I really think throughout the course of the series it kind of became a part of me. Louis is an infectious character, and the fact that I got to play him really made me a more positive person in general…not that I was ever a really negative person, but I definitely see things on the brighter side more than I ever have these past six seasons. And I think I’m going to hold on to that, in the sense that playing this guy has really — and it sounds corny — made me a better person in a way."
  • Hudson Yang hopes to return someday for "Refresh Off the Boat": "I'm always going to miss being Eddie," he says. "He's a part of me. He IS me, really. I grew up being him, and I will always have great memories of my TV second family that I'll always love."
  • Executive producer Melvin Mar looks back on Fresh Off the Boat's journey to "The Promised Land of ABC comedy": "Fresh Off the Boat had been picked up for a midseason launch," he writes in The Hollywood Reporter. "We had been shooting our 13-episode season that late summer into fall. Right after the holidays, we found out our airdate — Feb. 4, 2015. A Wednesday night. The Promised Land of ABC comedy. We would get a magical taste of precious comedy scheduling real estate. But just for the premiere. Then we would be sent to Tuesday at 8 p.m. — the slot recently vacated by (one-and-done comedies) Selfie and Manhattan Love Story. Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune were our lead-ins with a couple of dramas behind us. Not precious comedy real estate. But by the time Fresh Off the Boat moved to Fridays a couple seasons ago, Tuesdays had become comedy real estate. (Creator) Nahnatchka (Kahn), (executive producer) Jake (Kasdan) and I still joke that Fresh Off the Boat was the scheduling pioneer of Tuesday night on ABC. Looking back on this now in 2020, with the de-emphasis of same-day ratings and the emphasis of three- and seven-day delayed viewing on streamers, it's easy to recognize that we lived through both an upheaval in ratings metrics and a dramatic change in viewership habits that was unimaginable when we sat down to dumplings at our first table read over a half-decade ago."