Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Mary Tyler Moore Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Mary Tyler Moore Show Photo Gallery

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #31
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Saturday night TV in the 1970's was just a magical time. Bob Newhart, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett. It was just an embarrassment of riches for my generation to grow up with. We were so spoiled; and it's so hard to lose these people who really, truly felt like friends to us all, because they played characters who were so real and human.

We all are children of light, but boy, some of us shine so bright and it seems like Mary sure did.

Feeling kind of old tonight.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #32
Dale Key
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea
Remember the Mary-thons, years ago...I forget, either on Nick at Nite or TV Land?
Nick at Nite mid-nineties. I loved Mary Mondays on Block Party Summer when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qLg3fOg4cU
Dale Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:19 AM   #33
PGood97041
Forum Regular

Not gonna lie, I've shed some tears at this news. Even though we knew Mary was dealing with medical issues, it was still a shock.
So a co-star of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and the star of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which I would argue are the two best sitcoms ever, has passed. And we've lost Mary, possibly the greatest combination of female beauty, brains, sense of humor, and talent ever. Devastating, really.
What gives me some comfort is the fact that Mary did become a star. I mean, what if she hadn't been discovered? What if Carl Reiner hadn't clawed the top of her head and brought her to Danny Thomas's office? We're lucky that we got to experience her brilliance, and I am happy to have the DVDs that preserve the magic of those two series available to watch for as long as I'm around.
Specifically regarding TMTMS, which I saw first-run as a teenager in the 1970s (and it also applies to first-run viewers of TDVDS), I believe there are some things that happen, some eras, when you really just had to be there to totally appreciate it, and you feel sorry for the people who weren't. TMTMS caught lightning in a bottle with its lovely star, talented cast, excellent writers, etc., during a time when feminism was coming into its own ... and it was a wonderful thing. It boggles my mind that it's been four decades since the show ended and so many people didn't get to experience what we fans got to. As Retro4Life wrote in his eloquent post, I, too am feeling kind of old tonight.

P.S. Mary went through so much, and was such a fighter, I'm planning to make a donation to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in her name. I'm sure the organization would appreciate any such gesture, in any amount.
PGood97041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #34
jayman75
I Love the 80s!

Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
I wonder what time it will be on.
As it said in the original post - 9pm ET

The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?,
Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, The Golden Girls,
Dallas, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace,
The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
jayman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
JJM
Frequent Poster

Goodbye Mary, rest in peace
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #36
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Some other MTM specials that are set to air...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mar...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

“The Mary Tyler Moore Show” Marathon, SundanceTV, Saturday, Jan 28, 6 a.m.

Starting at 6:00 a.m., SundanceTV will air an all-day marathon of “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” featuring all 24 episodes of the final season. Created by James L. Brooks and Allan Burns, “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” debuted on Sept. 19, 1970, making its mark in TV history as one of the most acclaimed series of all time. The sitcom was awarded with three Golden Globes, 29 Emmys, and a Peabody Award. The sitcom ran for seven seasons from 1970 to 1977.

“Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman,” getTV, Monday, Jan. 30, 11 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. PT

The 1969 variety special will be broadcast on getTV. The one-off starred “The Dick Van Dyke Show” duo for a night of laughs and music with a dance number on crutches and a wedding cake skit.

Following the variety special is a 1960 episode of the crime series “Johnny Staccato,” which Moore guest starred on early in her career, playing a beauty contestant pageant who needs help when her life is threatened by a mysterious man. The episode, titled “The Mask Of Jason,” will air at 12 a.m. PT.

“Mary Tyler Moore: A Celebration,” PBS

The documentary will re-broadcast on PBS. First airing in 2015, the doc commemorates Moore and her career of over 50 years that included award-winning films, Broadway shows, and her two iconic television shows. Dick Van Dyke, Betty White, and Valerie Harper are featured in interviews. The film was produced by Steve Boettcher and Mike Trinklein, of Pioneers of Television.

Check your local listings, or watch the documentary streaming here.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #37
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Georgia Engel

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ionary-w462978

, "She was my beloved friend, I loved her very much. She helped launch my career. She will be missed greatly.”
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #38
Dude111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
She starred on 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' and on her eponymous sitcom, two of most acclaimed comedies ever, then acted against type to earn an Oscar nom for 'Ordinary People.'
Ya its very sad ZB,many ppl are dying left and right
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #39
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

From Valerie Harper...

https://www.facebook.com/valerieharp...WSFEED&fref=nf

To ... The World
From...Valerie Harper or "Rhoda"

Last week, to prepare me, I was kindly warned by Mary Tyler Moore's dear husband, Dr. Robert Levine, that she was in the very last stages of life.

But still I cannot stop the emotions I'm experiencing, since she was my acting colleague, my sister/soulmate, and above all, ONE HELL OF A GIRLFRIEND!

Working together we knew each other so well we could anticipate each other's moods, ever ready to engage and KNOW there would be an appropriate response from Mary.

I will always feel privileged and honored with the amount of quality time I was able to spend with Mary.

I'll miss you "Mair."

I will always be your co-pilot.

I will always love you, darling Mary Tyler Moore.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #40
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/26/betty-wh...y-tyler-moore/

Betty White on Mary Tyler Moore: 'She was special'

Derek Lawrence

Betty White and Mary Tyler Moore were costars, friends, and television legends. Now, White is remembering the “special” Moore, who died Wednesday at the age of 80.

“Mary Tyler Moore, Grant Tinker, Allen Ludden and I had some of the best times of my life together,” White wrote on Instagram, paired with a picture of the duo, accompanied by their former spouses (Ludden died in 1981; Tinker, who was married to Moore until 1981, died last November). “She was special.”

Having joined The Mary Tyler Moore Show midway through its seven-season run, White scored two Emmys for her role of Sue Ann Nivens, a.k.a. The Happy Homemaker. Fittingly, the legendary actresses, joined by fellow Mary Tyler Moore Show castmate and fellow icon Cloris Leachman, reunited for Moore’s final role, an appearance on White’s TV Land sitcom Hot in Cleveland.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #41
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

Nice tribute CBS did for Mary Tyler Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman75
As it said in the original post - 9pm ET
Oh, sorry. I didn't see it when I read it.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #42
Heidi Dawn
Muppets
Forum Regular

Rest in peace Mary. The first time I saw an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show was in 1997, the year I was graduating high school. The reruns rarely aired in Canada, until WTN (now called WNetwork) got the rights to it and Rhoda, which I also watched. I was familiar with most of the actors on the show from other shows I grew up watching: Ted Knight (Too Close for Comfort), Betty White (The Golden Girls), Valerie Harper (Valerie), Cloris Leachman (The Facts of Life), and Gavin MacLeod (The Love Boat). I may have to get the DVD's.
Complete Series Box Sets I own: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life, Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, Green Acres.
Heidi Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #43
Ohio8
Forum Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ohio8 Send a message via Yahoo to Ohio8

Attached Images

Ohio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #44
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television
From Valerie Harper...

https://www.facebook.com/valerieharp...WSFEED&fref=nf

To ... The World
From...Valerie Harper or "Rhoda"

Last week, to prepare me, I was kindly warned by Mary Tyler Moore's dear husband, Dr. Robert Levine, that she was in the very last stages of life.

But still I cannot stop the emotions I'm experiencing, since she was my acting colleague, my sister/soulmate, and above all, ONE HELL OF A GIRLFRIEND!

Working together we knew each other so well we could anticipate each other's moods, ever ready to engage and KNOW there would be an appropriate response from Mary.

I will always feel privileged and honored with the amount of quality time I was able to spend with Mary.

I'll miss you "Mair."

I will always be your co-pilot.

I will always love you, darling Mary Tyler Moore.
Reading this brought tears to my eyes. How wonderfully heartfelt. I hope Valerie Harper is aware of the millions of people grieving with her, although we can't feel the pain of someone like her who was truly a friend of Mary Tyler Moore's for so, so many years, and whose life and career was directly and profoundly impacted by Ms. Moore.
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS
LittleRickyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #45
Limm60
First Time Poster

When I retired from teaching i had two "Mary " moments -
1. When I spoke to my fellow teachers, I "thanked them for being my family"
2. As the last child walked out of my classroom, I stopped, went back in, took one last look and turned out the lights.

I really did this because of the impression that the Mary Tyler Moore show had on me.

Thank you Mary for giving me such precious memories.
Limm60 is offline   Reply With Quote