Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Reality Shows Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Reality Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Exclamation Update: A&E Lifts Phil Robertson's Suspension from "Duck Dynasty"

"Duck Dynasty" Star Phil Robertson Suspended over Anti-Gay Remarks
12/18/13

A&E has suspended "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson following anti-gay comments he made in a recent GQ profile, according to a report by Entertainment Weekly.

In an interview with GQ's Drew Magary, the head of the family in the wildly popular A&E series expressed his view that homosexuality was immoral, likening it to bestiality. Some of the remarks were made using off-color language.

Backlash was widespread and pronounced, including condemnation from GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign.

He told the magazine:

Quote:
It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a manís anus. Thatís just me. Iím just thinking: Thereís more there! Sheís got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what Iím saying? But hey, sin: Itís not logical, my man. Itís just not logical.

Everything is blurred on whatís right and whatís wrong. Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Donít be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they wonít inherit the kingdom of God.

Donít deceive yourself. Itís not right.

A&E released a statement:

Quote:
We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertsonís comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series "Duck Dynasty". His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.
They later added that this only applies to Phil Roberston and does not affect the other family members.

Following the news of Robertson's suspension, a tweet from the account of former Alaska governor and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin defended the "Duck Dynasty" star:

"Free speech is endangered species; those "intolerants" hatin' & taking on Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing personal opinion take on us all"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1..._4469887.html?
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesG; 12-27-2013 at 08:36 PM.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
ponytail

Phil has a right to his opinion. That is his belief. Now A & E is getting a backlash, fans of the show are not happy, happy, happy.
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Why can't we all just get along? I'm all for free speech but I'm not for being tacky. Everything about what he said was just dirty. No class at all.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Freedom of Speech is one thing. I mean, the government is not arresting him for saying what he said. He's in no trouble with the law. His employer didn't like what he said and thus suspended him.

I work at Kroger. If I got on Facebook and declared "Kroger sucks!" or "Kroger is run by Hitler!" or something else negative about the workplace, I can be fired. I still have freedom of speech, though.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
Freedom of Speech is one thing. I mean, the government is not arresting him for saying what he said. He's in no trouble with the law. His employer didn't like what he said and thus suspended him.

I work at Kroger. If I got on Facebook and declared "Kroger sucks!" or "Kroger is run by Hitler!" or something else negative about the workplace, I can be fired. I still have freedom of speech, though.

I'm sure that in the gajillion paged contract that *all* reality stars have to sign for their 15 minutes of fame, there is some fine print regarding penalties for "damaging the brand". He bit the hand that fed him and the hand slapped him.

I don't watch the show, but I am a little curious on whether or not the rest of the family will quit, or go on without him. Either way, this incident has garnered some publicity for the show and the network.

"Awesome" ends in "Me".

Coincidence?

I think not.
shotzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

It's A&E's highest rated show. I watch and find their adventures fun and interesting it's not flat out stupid as I first thought. He is old school and set in his ways he's 67 years old. He's set for life and doesn't need A&E.

And, it seems to me that the article's commentary by the author is what makes Phil's statements villainous, when in reality, it was his (the author) remarks after every quote, that we're villainous toward Phil. The only graphic thing Phil even said was the way he shared his preference, then he when on to say that SIN was illogical. He stated his preference and then didn't even say homosexuality was illogical, he said sin.

Last edited by comedyfreak; 12-19-2013 at 12:50 PM.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
It's A&E's highest rated show. I watch and find their adventures fun and interesting it's not flat out stupid as I first thought. He is old school and set in his ways he's 67 years old. He's set for life and doesn't need A&E.

And, it seems to me that the article's commentary by the author is what makes Phil's statements villainous, when in reality, it was his (the author) remarks after every quote, that we're villainous toward Phil. The only graphic thing Phil even said was the way he shared his preference, then he when on to say that SIN was illogical. He stated his preference and then didn't even say homosexuality was illogical, he said sin.
I'm just sick that people who are Christians get backlashed...sure there's NO lions in Madison Square Garden to feed on Phil Robertson, but he has a voice too and we're ALL sinners and we're born into it (Sin that is)!

I too fell in that trap at my work last month at a retirement party. I could've gotten fired/suspended but since my work seems to need me more than anything...I got a slap on the wrist.

PS-I think reality shows are dumb!

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

I don't know why people are shocked by his comments. He's a self-proclaimed bible-thumping redneck. And while he may not speak for some other bible-thumping rednecks, a majority of him do share his beliefs. If this is what he believes, it's his right. However, it's the right of those, including myself, who don't agree with what he says, to express our own opinions. And if it's in conflict with his contract with A&E, which is a private non-government entity, then A&E has every right to suspend him. It's no different than MSNBC firing Alec Baldwin and CNN firing Martin Bashir for their comments. When you act like a tacky, uncouth fool, don't be surprised when it costs you a job and public support, and it doesn't matter what religion or political party you belong to. Also, if Christians are tired of being stereotyped as judgmental, out-of-touch idiots, then stop having the loudest, most obnoxious ones be the mouthpiece of the religion.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

"Duck Dynasty" Clan: ďWe Cannot Imagine The Show Going Forward Without Our PatriarchĒ
by THE DEADLINE TEAM
December 19, 2013

The Robertson family is standing firmly behind its patriarch and is willing to pull the plug on the biggest reality show on television. In a strongly worded post on its DuckCommander.com website, the family reacted to A&E NetworkĎs decision yesterday to suspend "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson over his pointed comments about homosexuality and religion in a GQ profile.

The Robertsons made it clear that "Duck Dynasty" would only continue if Phil is in it because ďwe cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm.Ē

Quote:
We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&Eís decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Philís unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: ďLove the Lord your God with all your heartĒ and ďLove your neighbor as yourself.Ē

Phil would never incite or encourage hate. We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right. We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm.

We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of "Duck Dynasty". Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/duck...-gay-comments/
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Veteran

Aw, they don't want to go on without him? Oh well. Good riddance to that filthy, disgusting piece of trash.
HuntingtonM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
Also, if Christians are tired of being stereotyped as judgmental, out-of-touch idiots, then stop having the loudest, most obnoxious ones be the mouthpiece of the religion.
Valid point. There are many loud and obnoxious people who speak in the name of Christ and I really wish they wouldn't, particularly when they say things totally incongruent with what Christ said in The Bible.
Ultimately, Jesus Himself is the only real mouthpiece for Christianity. Sadly, many of us who follow Him still fail miserably at times and once again must ask for His forgiveness and help to move forward. God is still working to bring to completion the work He has begun. (Philippians 1:6)
As a follower of Jesus, I agree with Phil Robertson in that The Bible condemns homosexuality as sin. However, I don't like that the phrase commonly used for comments like his is "anti-gay". I think "anti-homosexuality" would be more precise. "Gay" is used to refer to an entire community of people and I think it's wrong to assume that Mr. Robertson or any Christian is against gay people. Jesus certainly isn't. He loves gay people- He loves all people.
However, He is against homosexuality because it's a perversion of the sexual order and standard He set. (See Matthew 19, Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, and there are more still.) But, as Mr. Robertson was trying to say, that is just one of many sins- and we're all guilty of sin. In comparing homosexuality to bestiality and having sex outside of marriage, I believe Mr. Robertson was pointing out the various facets of sexual immorality in general. There are plenty of other sins that are not sexual in nature- drunkenness, slander, swindling, idolatry, etc. We've all done wrong at some point. That is why we all need a Savior- and that's what God sent us at Christmas- Christ the Savior, who went to the cross to die and pay for our sins and rose again from the dead, so that by putting our faith in Him, we could have forgiveness and salvation and eternity with Him in Heaven.
I do agree that he could have said this in a more refined and nicer way- his graphic description of the physicality of sex does come off as off-color, for sure.
The problem here- and I think many Christians forget this- is that when we state that The Bible says homosexuality is a sin- while this is true, we must remember that we are in effect telling an entire group of people that they are wrong- and wrong for something that they believe is beyond their control because it's an innate part of their being. (Whether that is or not, I don't care to debate here. I do believe there are genetic predispositions to this, just like there are towards alcoholism and stealing. Of course, I think the reason for that is because of the fall of man and the corruption of the world through sin- back in Genesis 3.)
So the gay community sees any statement saying that homosexuality is wrong as an attack on them as a person. It invalidates their very existence! And this is one major reason Christians (and people of different religious faiths that condemn homosexuality, for that matter) should be very careful in how we broach this topic. For the Christian, the view is different because we see it as two different things. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says that if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation- the old has gone and the new has come! However, even though we have a new life in Christ, the old one still lingers and gnaws at us. (Cue the psychomachia- i.e. struggle between the angel and devil pulling at us.) So for a Christian, whatever former identity we had in the natural human flesh is dead. As Colossians 3 tells us, we must set our minds on things above and not on earthly things. For we died and our lives are now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, appears, then we also will appear with Him in glory.
So the Christian view is that our old lives have been crucified with Christ and we no longer live- but Christ lives in us! The life we live in the body we live by faith in the Son of God, who loved us and gave Himself for us. (see Galatians 2:20) He loves us all and gave Himself for all of us.
And this gets to the disconnect I was talking about. For Christians, we view the whole world as being born with an innate sin nature. The natural human being has a natural bent towards doing wrong. (This is why parents never have to teach children how to be selfish or how to fight with their siblings over toys or how to lie or how to disobey. Children do this naturally because of their fallen nature.)
Homosexuality and all sexual immorality- and every other kind of sin- falls under that old nature that we all struggle with every day. And as Romans 3:23 tells us, we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. And Romans 6:23 tells us that the wages of sin is death (i.e. eternal separation from God in Hell), but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (eternal happiness with God in Heaven!) And because He is good and He loves us, Jesus came to set us free from sin, death, the devil and Hell- to forgive us for all those wrongs and to make us new- to give us a new life that is set free to obey God through His own power.
For those who do not believe in Christ, I know that this will most likely not make much sense, but I hope it doesn't come off as anything but loving because I don't intend it any other way.
For those who don't follow Christ and who have homosexual tendencies and desires, I know many have accepted this as part of their DNA and makeup and of course, we want to celebrate every person because every person is made in the image of God and is loved by Him. And Christians should love everyone because Jesus commands us to do so- in fact, He said that the world will know we are Christians by our love.
And while I do believe every person is valuable and loved immeasurably by God and because of that, I love everyone too- I also must "speak the Truth in Love" as Ephesians 4:15 commands.
This is what too many who claim to be followers of Christ get wrong, I think. It's too easy to forget that we are all ultimately the same in the eyes of God and are all equally loved. And above all, we must love God with all we've got and love our neighbor as ourselves. (Not to mention love our enemies as well.) And it's okay if people disagree about sexuality and the standards for morality. God still loves you and so do I. We don't have to agree- of course, I want everyone to come to know the love of Jesus, but He doesn't force Himself on anyone- and I don't believe in that either. Everyone must make their own choice about what they will do with Jesus.
And no matter what choice you make, God's going to keep on loving you and so will I. May He bless us all especially at this Christmas season.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
cleverfun3000

He must not have gotten the memo. No one is allowed to spew hatred against the homosexual lifestyle without paying the cost of losing their livlihood. You must not only tolerate, you must now-adays condone and embrace the homosexuall lifestyle. . .or else.
cleverfun3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
broadmoor
Forum Regular

I like the juxtaposition that Governor Bobby Jindal made. You have a culture that is both awash and revels in the abject, gross depravity of things like Miley Cyrus twerking on national television. Yet some old dude expresses his orthodox Christian views about sin (which no one would have batted an eye over just ten short years ago), and the media elites get the vapors.

The "thought police" mentality in America nowadays makes 1950s-era McCarthyism look like tiddly-winks.
broadmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor
I like the juxtaposition that Governor Bobby Jindal made. You have a culture that is both awash and revels in the abject, gross depravity of things like Miley Cyrus twerking on national television. Yet some old dude expresses his orthodox Christian views about sin (which no one would have batted an eye over just ten short years ago), and the media elites get the vapors.

The "thought police" mentality in America nowadays makes 1950s-era McCarthyism look like tiddly-winks.
Say what you want about Miley Cyrus, but unlike Phil Robertson, she wasn't publicly condemning a group of people because their lifestyle interfered with religious beliefs. I think the media is focusing their attention on this because unlike most reality stars, the Duck Dynasty clan weren't active-seeking publicity cravers and appeared more down-to-earth.
UMFaninMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland

I too fell in that trap at my work last month at a retirement party. I could've gotten fired/suspended but since my work seems to need me more than anything...I got a slap on the wrist.
Mr. C, speaking as a former HR Director, you had more than a slap on the wrist. The incident was documented as well as your "slap on the wrist". It is now in your personnel file. Please abstain from future moments of poor judgement since it will be considered an on going issue and could be used to fire you as well as limit/prohibit you from collecting unemployment. Please take the "slap on the wrist" seriously.
shotzette is offline   Reply With Quote