Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #31
kane7474
Forum Regular

Nathan was found only 10 miles off the coast and yes Id be wondering what drug runners would be doing in that close. I just watched this again and it all makes sense until Nathan leaves his freinds who are floating on the cargo door. He stated that he told the others that he had seen the ships hull and was gonna try to get back to it to get some kind of help.

This makes no sense. You just left the boat beacuse it was sinking so what is going back to it going to accomplish?? How are you going to get help by going back to a sinking boat? And if you thought going back to the boat would somehow help your situation then why not have everyone paddle over there on the door they where floating on?? I just dont get it.

And Im wondering if the boat was ever found and what exactly made it sink in the first place? Anyone know?
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #32
Clockworkhigh
Forum Regular

I believe Nathan's story. But my concern is the part where he leaves his friends. There is power in numbers. I believe they were captured by some drug smugglers or that even Nathan and his friends may have been involved doing something illegal out there. Nathan somehow gets away and it is just assumed he would be lost at sea. But this is why I might think the whole "lost at sea" is far fetched for his friends. You just don't leave your friends under any circumstance and it makes me wonder if Nathan knew something they didn't.
Clockworkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #33
bluejazz87
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkhigh
I believe Nathan's story. But my concern is the part where he leaves his friends. There is power in numbers. I believe they were captured by some drug smugglers or that even Nathan and his friends may have been involved doing something illegal out there. Nathan somehow gets away and it is just assumed he would be lost at sea. But this is why I might think the whole "lost at sea" is far fetched for his friends. You just don't leave your friends under any circumstance and it makes me wonder if Nathan knew something they didn't.
Leaving his friends was a little unusual. I'm not sure what going back to the ship would have accomplished. Perhaps Nathan thought he would take his chances by swimming for help? It's also possible he felt that his friends had a better chance of surviving without him in the raft that was damaged. In any case, there really isn't a basis to investigate those details in my opinion. Even if one wanted to be suspicious there is nothing that could really be said or speculated based on the available information.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #34
cocytus
Forum Regular

While I'm sure that the families would like to believe that their loved ones are alive, that's probably not the case in this situation. Drug dealers would simply have no reason to keep the men alive after all of this time.

Also, I think that the phone calls were a cruel hoax. There would no reason that a caller would have risked his life multiple times to call the family member and then not leave a message of any significance.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #35
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
While I'm sure that the families would like to believe that their loved ones are alive, that's probably not the case in this situation. Drug dealers would simply have no reason to keep the men alive after all of this time.

Also, I think that the phone calls were a cruel hoax. There would no reason that a caller would have risked his life multiple times to call the family member and then not leave a message of any significance.
I agree with that. Sick people do this crap all the time in these missing person cases. They seem to like the attention.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #36
Fukiyama
Occasional Poster

I just saw this segment today. I've seen it before too a number of times.

My question is this: The owner of the boat and the family were getting phone calls from someone speaking Spanish. The caller called on a number of occasions. After the second time the caller called, did the family or the boat's owner make any effort to learn Spanish?
Fukiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #37
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukiyama
I just saw this segment today. I've seen it before too a number of times.

My question is this: The owner of the boat and the family were getting phone calls from someone speaking Spanish. The caller called on a number of occasions. After the second time the caller called, did the family or the boat's owner make any effort to learn Spanish?
Apparntley not
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #38
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

It would not surprise me they were involved in or witnessed illegal activity and the one guy that survived isn't talking.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
EricWright
Occasional Poster

Some of u guys are ruthless! lol .......

I definitely don't think Nathan was directly involved in any way. Its hard for me to believe Nathan would risk his own life in such a torturous way, to be out at sea with no food or water or proper floating device in the burning sun for four days, to cover up the murders of his family members and close friend. Its too far fetched. The fact that he lived to tell the tale is miraculous in itself.

There is a possibility that Nathan and his friends were involved in some kind of illegal activity and met with foul play. To which Nathan was the only one who got away. Without more facts, its hard to prove this. Nathan might not want to implicate himself and left this part out of the story. If this were the case, then mystery solved, case closed. It was a drug deal or whatever deal gone bad.

The mysterious phone calls are a whole other story. I have nothing on those. The only plausible assumption i can make is prank calls. However Nathan did say he saw a boat stop around the area where he last saw his friends. So its a possibility they were captured and the calls were somehow linked to there whereabouts. Its a long shot, but i can't rule that out entirely.

Interesting story.

Finally, thanks to Nathan's daughter for sharing her story. I'm sorry for the pain and suffering that this tragic event has caused your family. God Bless.

Last edited by EricWright; 05-10-2011 at 06:57 PM.
EricWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #40
Corky Kneivel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWright
Some of u guys are ruthless! lol .......
I agree. After seeing people question Jeremy's story in the Tom Johnson thread and then this one I've come to realize some people on this board will question and/or see a lie in EVERYTHING. While I suppose thats a healthy outlook in investigating it scares me that some of you people might serve on juries. I never once imagined Nathan making up his story and 10 miles off coast is not like 10 miles on the freeway, its a considerable distance on the open sea. And if it doesn't make sense dor drug runners to be there I would counter by saying they don't have to be drug runners to be bad guys.
Corky Kneivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #41
welshman
Frequent Poster

Does anyone know if the Casie Nicole was recovered? if it wasn't then one theory could be that Nathan's brother needed to disappear possibly to get insurance money, he takes his son with him to live a new life somewhere the friend who disappeared possibly had similar reasons to disappear but they need a witness to claim they've died so they ask Nathan to arrange a boat trip, they shelter for three days then go out at night to the alleged sinking site nathan climbs in to the bait box they then chuck the hatch cover overboard and damage the life raft and sail to a port some miles away rename the boat and get a replacment hatch cover.

Also did anyone hear the mayday calls? I know that if I was on a boat and it started to sink I wouldn't leave it until it disappeared under the waves even if I was in a liferaft.

Another point is if what he says is true the freighter that Nathan saw may have just been checking the debris for survivors and the crew by then might already be dead.
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #42
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Kneivel
I agree. After seeing people question Jeremy's story in the Tom Johnson thread and then this one I've come to realize some people on this board will question and/or see a lie in EVERYTHING. While I suppose thats a healthy outlook in investigating it scares me that some of you people might serve on juries. I never once imagined Nathan making up his story and 10 miles off coast is not like 10 miles on the freeway, its a considerable distance on the open sea. And if it doesn't make sense dor drug runners to be there I would counter by saying they don't have to be drug runners to be bad guys.
You put into words some thoughts that I have been having recently but didn't quite know how to express in writing. I agree wholeheartedly. It appears that there is a disturbing trend these days in which people would rather "short circuit" a story and come up with a simple explanation that "the whole story is a lie/hoax" rather than look closely at the available evidence and use that to form a sound conclusion.

Maybe our attention spans just aren't what they used to be. I don't know the exact cause, but this thread, the Wacker thread, the "Tom Johnson" thread and the Angela Hammond thread are rife with this "revisionist" thinking.

The sad/stupid part about about such thinking is that the majority of those theories were probably put to rest by law enforcement within days of beginning the investigation twenty plus years ago. Since UM/LE never had to "prove" the stories were true back then, people use this as a springboard for all kinds of wild and unprovable assumptions.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #43
BlunderbussDeath
Occasional Poster

Two things from me.

1. I kind of doubt drug smugglers would be that close to the coast of the United States. Which brings me to something that was never brought up: Why didn't they look into finding out what that ship Nathan saw was doing there and where it was going? I mean there has to be records of ships in the area for that day. Unless of course it was some really daring smugglers, which I doubt given how big of a ship it was.

2. I wonder why Nathan's daughter never bothered to give us an update on the case after all these years. Maybe she was so mad by the accusations that were being made about her father that she only felt like clearing his name....so good going on that one guys with all your theories
BlunderbussDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
Orange_Sody_84
Frequent Poster

The only people that truly know what really happened are Nathan, his friends and family that dissappeared, and God. (Not that I'm trying to start a debate on religion.)

On paper you have to admit it could go either way with Nathan's guilt or innocence with the events that happened. since there isn't any concrete answer for either one. I'm really not sure what to believe.
Orange_Sody_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
economistman192
Frequent Poster

If these calls came frequently, I'm sort of sorry that no one learned enough basic Spanish to talk to the man. Maybe they couldn't understand everything, but a couple of weeks of spanish might have helped them to say, "Quien es Usted?" Who are you? or "Que Paso?" What happened? I guess you can live with a tape recorder, but given the circumstances, it's really sad that the information wasn't able to be retrieved because of a language barrier.

Perhaps these were guys who found the bodies and were able to tell where they came from from their identification. Maybe they were afraid to come forward in the end because of foul play. I hope this episode ran in Spanish so that perhaps someone who knows about it or the caller himself could understand .
economistman192 is offline   Reply With Quote