Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #151
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
The boat wouldn't have immediately sunk. It was taking in water at a fairly decent pace before they even noticed anything was wrong. I'm sure they had time to gather their supplies before going on the raft. Their trip was a 7 day fishing excursion, so they had to have brought food with them.
From his story they tried to save the boat by hand, and then when they saw it was futile they immediately grabbed a raft, and jumped ship. I do not believe they grabbed food, as they were all holding onto the raft. In the segment nothing was said about food.

Quote:
This reminds me of the Tom Green Show when he swam across Lake Washington. He wasn't an experienced swimmer at all, and it took him over two hours to swim 1.3 miles. This is the swim that he did. Notice how they ask for strong swimmers? They expect people to swim 1.25 miles in less than 45 minutes. If it took Nathan hours to swim 4 or 5 miles, this does nothing but bolster his credibility. If he was out of shape, this makes his story even more believable. No wonder it took him so long to swim that short of a distance.
No. Nice theory, and I get what you're saying, but this isn't credible. You're missing several factors that would've made this impossible. I'm in shape, and there's no way I could've swam hours non-stop without food and water. This is hours of constantly drinking salt water, and having no food (sense he left it with the others, if you believe that). He would've tired out, and started cramping. If he swam an hour or a little more I'd believe it, but not HOURS.

I bring up his size, because he was out of shape. There's no way he would've had the stamina or lung capacity to have continued on swimming nonstop for hours. It's as unbelievable as those phony phone calls.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #152
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
There's no way he would've had the stamina or lung capacity to have continued on swimming nonstop for hours. It's as unbelievable as those phony phone calls.
Have you considered that the amount of time it took him to swim that distance was because he was out of shape and had to stop over and over again?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #153
freakbook

Quote:
Have you considered that the amount of time it took him to swim that distance was because he was out of shape and had to stop over and over again?
I have, and even with him stopping it's not believable. He was in deep water, swimming non-stop with salt water constantly in his face/mouth, and we're talking about someone who probably had nothing to eat for hours. I understand willpower, and the instinct of survival, but not swimming for hours non-stop in deep water.

Swimming that long being out of shape, would cause severe cramps, making it hard to move on. Then take into the fact that even if he had eaten before leaving, then his energy would've been gone. He also most likely would've drowned or passed out from how filled his lungs were with salt water. Even if he stopped for breaks, he was in super deep water so he would've had to have been constantly kicking his legs in place to stay afloat even if he stopped for a break, which would've caused fatigue, and cramps. If he stopped to rest he's still using energy just to stay afloat.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #154
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Swimming that long being out of shape, would cause severe cramps, making it hard to move on. Then take into the fact that even if he had eaten before leaving, then his energy would've been gone. He also mostly likely would've drowned or passed out from how filled his lungs were with salt water. Even if he stopped for breaks, he was in super deep water so he would've had to have been constantly kicking his legs in place to stay afloat even if he stopped for a break, which would've caused fatigue.
Treading water in salt water is significantly easier than in fresh water or a pool. The salt content makes the water heavier meaning objects and people float more easily. He wouldn't have had to kick hard and fast constantly to tread water. He could have maintained a slow enough kicking pace to get sufficient rest. Yeah, he probably would have had some cramping, but he could have pushed through that.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #155
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty
Treading water in salt water is significantly easier than in fresh water or a pool. The salt content makes the water heavier meaning objects and people float more easily. He wouldn't have had to kick hard and fast constantly to tread water. He could have maintained a slow enough kicking pace to get sufficient rest. Yeah, he probably would have had some cramping, but he could have pushed through that.
Pushed through terrible cramping, and having no energy from not eating for hours? No. I'm in better shape then he was, I workout daily and swim for exercise. I don't think I could have made that trip.

You do make a good point about him staying afloat through salt water though. Maybe you guys are right, and I'm willingly to admit that I'm wrong, but I still don't believe it.

Seeing as how his friends were most likely eaten, I find it weird that he wasn't attacked by a sea creature being in the water for that long.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #156
asmitty
Forum Regular

Quote:
Seeing as how his friends were most likely eaten, I find it weird that he wasn't attacked by a sea creature being in the water for that long.
That's obviously because UM never reported on a sea monster in those waters.
asmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #157
James T

It never ceases to amaze me how badly prepared people are when they go out to sea-often they have no life jackets, no flares, no method of communication etc. In this case they had an inflatable that held two when there was four of them & it had a hole in it. This guy was extremely fortunate & likely was delirious when he saw a vessel that likely wasn't there. The white slave theory as always is farcical-what possible use could anybody have for three US white guys? No ransom was ever demanded. No demand for an exchange of political prisoner etc. The phone calls were no doubt some crank who read about the case & thought it would be fun to occasionally harass the families.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #158
Todd Mueller
Keepin' it real. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how badly prepared people are when they go out to sea-often they have no life jackets, no flares, no method of communication etc. In this case they had an inflatable that held two when there was four of them & it had a hole in it. This guy was extremely fortunate & likely was delirious when he saw a vessel that likely wasn't there. The white slave theory as always is farcical-what possible use could anybody have for three US white guys? No ransom was ever demanded. No demand for an exchange of political prisoner etc. The phone calls were no doubt some crank who read about the case & thought it would be fun to occasionally harass the families.
"What about life rafts? I have two."
Todd Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #159
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mueller View Post
"What about life rafts? I have two."
Pity he slashed one of them to pieces.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #160
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
The phone calls were no doubt some crank who read about the case & thought it would be fun to occasionally harass the families.
Agreed. They had to have been someone with some knowledge of the case because the owner of the Casie Nicole also received similar phone calls to the one's that Nathan's family was receiving.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #161
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
Agreed. They had to have been someone with some knowledge of the case because the owner of the Casie Nicole also received similar phone calls to the one's that Nathan's family was receiving.
In that case, I have to wonder how much publicity the lost boat got in Latin American countries because that would somewhat determine whether the callers had actual inside knowledge of the lost crew's fate OR had just heard about the story and played a sick&heartless prank!
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #162
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
In that case, I have to wonder how much publicity the lost boat got in Latin American countries because that would somewhat determine whether the callers had actual inside knowledge of the lost crew's fate OR had just heard about the story and played a sick&heartless prank!
Probably little to none. The show made no mention of the cops putting a trace on any of those receiving the calls. Most likely it was an American Latino doing it from inside the US.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #163
larry510
Occasional Poster

Is this segment available on Amazon Prime? Wasn't able to find it.
larry510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #164
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry510 View Post
Is this segment available on Amazon Prime? Wasn't able to find it.
Season 4, Episode 15.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #165
larry510
Occasional Poster

Just watched it! Thanks!
larry510 is offline   Reply With Quote