Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned
Banned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
Unsolved Mysteries has told me that the USA is a scary place filled with murderers, rapists and thieves in every neighbourhood. What is the safest place to live in the U.S if someone had the choice?
Stay in Australia. It's safer.

Big3sCompanyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #32
starmushrooms
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I don't think it's gang-related in the least. I think the man in the ATM photo almost certainly abducted him alone or with the help of at least one other person. I think it's likely the man in the photo was even holding Matthew at gunpoint at the time.
I just don't think it was related to Gang violence for some reason. When I saw the sketch it looks like an older male and I'm just not convinced he was in a gang. I could be wrong, but that's been my opinion for a while.

AKA Cheryl Ann Wick
AKA Kelly Lee Karr
AKA Sharon Wiley
starmushrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, I think the bandana and here is what I think, I think at times the guy wore the bandana around his lower face so you could only see him from the nose up. Now clearly he did not wear it outside the car because it would look suspicious to passers by. However the man in the footage, let's see, Matthew Chase was 22 at the time and this guy that was in the footage, looked like he was at least 15 years older than Matt if not older. So I would say this guy was at least in his late 30's, more like early to possibly mid 40's.

This whole concept does not really fit the gang M.O. I mean I think if a gang was involved in this, it would just look different and they would have killed Matt different. It does not appear Matt was tortured physically, he was killed by a single gunshot wound, I am assuming to the head but that was not mentioned in the segment where he was shot, only that he was shot. He disappeared in June from Los Angeles yet was not discovered until September in a ravine in Pasadena. I am not sure what part of Los Angeles that Matt disappeared from but I would say Pasadena is not that far from downtown Los Angeles, maybe 10 miles, east, northeast of there. Pasadena is just a stone's throw from the Eagle Rock section of Los Angeles which is the part of Los Angeles that is closest to Pasadena. Eagle Rock is only 3 or 4 miles away from Pasadena.

Now, not to make assumptions, but Matt was a young man, he roomed with his friends from Oregon. So three young people in their early 20's living comfortably by standards of people of that age group but certainly not rolling in the dough by any means. Basically they made enough money to pay their rent, pay their bills and provide for some entertainment but that was about all. They were probably living paycheck to paycheck. Looking at where Matt's parents were walking, I got the impression they were walking around in Hollywood.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Well, I think the bandana and here is what I think, I think at times the guy wore the bandana around his lower face so you could only see him from the nose up. Now clearly he did not wear it outside the car because it would look suspicious to passers by. However the man in the footage, let's see, Matthew Chase was 22 at the time and this guy that was in the footage, looked like he was at least 15 years older than Matt if not older. So I would say this guy was at least in his late 30's, more like early to possibly mid 40's.

This whole concept does not really fit the gang M.O. I mean I think if a gang was involved in this, it would just look different and they would have killed Matt different. It does not appear Matt was tortured physically, he was killed by a single gunshot wound, I am assuming to the head but that was not mentioned in the segment where he was shot, only that he was shot. He disappeared in June from Los Angeles yet was not discovered until September in a ravine in Pasadena. I am not sure what part of Los Angeles that Matt disappeared from but I would say Pasadena is not that far from downtown Los Angeles, maybe 10 miles, east, northeast of there. Pasadena is just a stone's throw from the Eagle Rock section of Los Angeles which is the part of Los Angeles that is closest to Pasadena. Eagle Rock is only 3 or 4 miles away from Pasadena.

Now, not to make assumptions, but Matt was a young man, he roomed with his friends from Oregon. So three young people in their early 20's living comfortably by standards of people of that age group but certainly not rolling in the dough by any means. Basically they made enough money to pay their rent, pay their bills and provide for some entertainment but that was about all. They were probably living paycheck to paycheck. Looking at where Matt's parents were walking, I got the impression they were walking around in Hollywood.
I agree to an extent. I do agree with your assessment that the perpetrator most likely used the bandana to cover his face when he was robbing Matthew. But, I do think he was in a gang. The bandana had the initials for the East Side Playboys gang. I doubt it was a gang land hit though. I think this particular individual just happened to be in the same area Matthew was in and decided to rob him and eventually kill him.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #35
mattc
Forum Regular

Just watched this segment again myself. I also think that his killer was in a gang. Remember, this was a "simple" (at least in terms of a criminal) act, where the suspect probably mugged Matt after his initial deposit, and forced him to make ATM withdrawals at gun point. I think the gap in time was them driving from ATM to ATM trying to get money out. The idea that the bandana was planted as a way to throw off the police seems too elaborate to me.

Then, I think the a-hole, fearing that Matt had seen him, probably shot him and dumped him in the woods. The shelter sightings don't seem credible to me, as we know from so many UM eye witness accounts, they are not always accurate. Plus, IIRC, the shelter worker said that the guy she had seen was "tall" and 'lanky" and they used that to determined that it was Matt. That's pretty generic, but I can certainly see why they were hoping.

Im like everyone else though... after watching this, I always think about this case when Im at an ATM machine, day or night!!! creepy!
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
kadrmas15

I don't know, for some reason I disagree on the gang theory. I mean, this guy that robbed Matt and this will sound bad and just before anyone makes the allegations, no I am not saying white people cannot be or are not in gangs, many are. However this guy, that robbed Matt looked a bit old to be in the gang life.

I would guess that Matt was first approached at one of the previous ATM's. The killer kept driving around trying to get money, it was almost frenzied. It is obvious that the killer did not have a car, at least not at the scene, hence why he basically kidnapped Matt and was holding him hostage. Matt continued to try to get large amounts of money out, knowing that it was larger than the amount he was authorized to withdraw at any one time and that since his check had not posted he did not even have that much money in his account. So it remains unclear whether he was trying to discourage his abductor or whether the abductor was just being fanatical and demanding money that Matt did not have.

Now remember, over the next couple of days, the card was used various times. The question is, was Matt even using the card anymore or had he given up the PIN number to his abductor? The card was wiped clean of fingerprints, neither Matt's nor anyone else's fingerprints were on the card. I believe the card was confiscated by the ATM machine a couple of days after Matt's abduction. I get why his roommates did what they did but in hindsight I think it was a bad move. Had the guy continued to use it, you might have had a better chance of tracking him down.

Clearly if Matt was still alive a couple of days after he was last seen, then the killer was holding him somewhere. But the question is, was he alive? Matt was alive a few hours after he disappeared but no one knows if it was him that continued to use the card or whether his abductor forced him to give up the PIN number. Clearly once the card was confiscated the killer would have no use for Matt anymore and that is when Matt was killed.

Now, from what his roommate said, the bank where Matt deposited his paycheck at was only two blocks from their house. He was supposed to pick up some cat food so at most that would have been a 15 minute errand. He disappeared the evening of June 8th, 1988.

Now the time of that night: Matt did go to the local branch, he did deposit his check and got cash back. That was around 11:50 PM, so he got to the bank roughly the time he should have got there. However after leaving the bank, I think it is after he got the cash back, no doubt he got the cash back it was probably only 10 dollars, probably to go and get the cat food. I do believe he was abducted at the local branch bank. What remains unclear is did Matt make it to the store to get the cat food? I am assuming he did not but I cannot be sure 100 percent as it was not mentioned one way or the other in the segment.

Then at 12:20 AM on June 9th, half an hour after he had first been there, he returned the same branch trying to withdraw a large amount of money. I believe two or three attempts were made, then the abductor must have demanded that Matt drive to a different bank. It must have been that far away, it was just 11 minutes later that the card was used again in a different branch in a different neighborhood, that is the one where the hidden camera took the pictures.

Now the time on the security camera states it was 12:33 AM on June 9th, 1988. That year, I believe June 9th would have fallen on a Thursday. But anyway, in the first security camera shot, the abductor was not in the shot, in the 2nd one is when he appears there. I think he was there the whole time of course but I think he was aware the camera was there and I think tried to stay out of the camera's point of view but for whatever reason leaned it just far enough the camera caught him. To me the abductor looked like he was I would say at least 10 years older than Matt if not more. I would say 15 to 20 years older is more like it.

The car was found abandoned on Monday June 27th, 1988 not far from the bank where Matt had vanished from. The car completely wiped clean of fingerprints both inside and outside the car. That tells me whoever this that abducted and killed Matt had a criminal record, that his finger prints were on file because both with the car and with the card he had wiped everything down and he was going to great pains to avoid being caught. I would venture to guess that this was not the first time he had robbed somebody. I do not even think it was the first time he kidnapped somebody. It might not have even been the first time he killed somebody, but I would say for sure this guy had been convicted of robbery or other violent crimes before.

I am still not convinced the guy was in a gang just because of the blue bandana. I mean I know gangs have their own things that they use and wear to try to make themselves unique but a blue bandana? I honestly think it was just an attempt to cover the guy's face. I still find it interesting that he would leave it in the car. It could be that he simply forgot it in the car and if he was a member of a gang, I think they would have at least tracked down which gang it was by now. Southern California has a lot of very distinct gangs. It could be he forgot it which would be a huge blunder on his part if he did, especially if he belonged to a gang. Or it could be he purposely left it in the car, as a calling card. He wiped down his fingerprints off of everything but wanted to leave a sign to the police that it was him that did this.

Now interestingly, more than once in this segment, I had missed it the first few times I watched it, but I noticed that both Matt's roommates and the police would say abductors or would say the people that did this. So I got the impression that they all think probably that more than one person was involved in this. The bandana was found in the back seat of the car so that would seem to me the killer was sitting in the backseat, my guess probably holding a gun on Matt. But I will say, to abduct a grown man on your own and then to hold him hostage for over 24 hours on your own is a pretty bold task. So I am not saying the gang possibilities do not need to be looked at, they do, never good to rule anything out until you can prove it was not an element.

The Midnight Mission, where Matt's roommates were looking for him is still there although it has been remodeled and expanded. http://www.midnightmission.org/ according to the website, the Midnight Mission is located at 601 South San Pedro Street in Los Angeles. Now, the Midnight Mission is basically almost at the intersection of San Pedro Street and 6th Street, that is basically in downtown Los Angeles. It is inside the 101 and 110 freeways, on the northern edge of the cities wholesale district and a little ways south of the cities toy district. Basically it is right in downtown Los Angeles. So where ever Matt and his roommates lived was not far from there and in my opinion where ever they lived was an area that you probably would not want to be walking around or even driving around in at night if you could avoid it.

In trying to track down the players in this case I hit a brick wall. I have no idea where Steve and Theresa Dahl are these days? The only one I was able to find info on was Detective Lionel Salgado of the Pasadena Police. Salgado came under fire in 1988 for arresting a deaf man and refusing to provide him with a sign language interpreter during questioning. The deaf man had been wrongly picked by an eyewitness as a man who had robbed a Wells Fargo bank. The deaf man went in to cash his paycheck, the teller thought he was the guy that had robbed the bank a week earlier and called police. The right man was eventually arrested for the robbery and later pled guilty. The deaf man, Jeno Koth a hungarian immigrant had to communicate with the police through writing and he had trouble interpreting at times what they meant by certain things, filed a lawsuit against the Pasadena Police Department for false imprisonment, humiliation, discrimination in not getting him a sign language interpreter and emotional distress. In 1992 the case went before a civil jury and they agreed with Koth, ruling in his favor, and awarded him 100,000 dollars. Anyway, Lionel Saldago retired from the Pasadena Police Department in the 1990's and now lives in Salem, Oregon, he is an investigator for the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #37
mattc
Forum Regular

Kadrmas: Really great analysis... I've gotta think about this one now! I think you raise some valid points, such as the guy looking too old to be a gang member, and you make we wonder more about whether Matt was held until the check cleared, or if his pin was obtained and the ******* simply disposed of Matt that night. I tend to think the latter; remember, at this point, the killer wouldn't have to verbally get the pin number from Matt, he had been seen hovering over Matt's shoulders, so he obviously saw Matt type in the pin himself.

Lemme think more about this.
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #38
freshwater
Frequent Poster

Did you see the picture of the blue bandana on the Unsolved.com website? It has initials on it. It's not some run-of-the-mill blue bandada. I think it clearly belonged to someone in a gang. If you read Zero's comments on page 2 of this topic, he/she did some good research (in my opinion) and tracked the initials on the bandana to the East Side Playboys gang of East L.A.

Yet, the guy in the ATM photo seemed pretty old for a 'banger. Maybe he was in the Van Bueren Boys.
freshwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #39
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
I don't know, for some reason I disagree on the gang theory. I mean, this guy that robbed Matt and this will sound bad and just before anyone makes the allegations, no I am not saying white people cannot be or are not in gangs, many are. However this guy, that robbed Matt looked a bit old to be in the gang life.

I would guess that Matt was first approached at one of the previous ATM's. The killer kept driving around trying to get money, it was almost frenzied. It is obvious that the killer did not have a car, at least not at the scene, hence why he basically kidnapped Matt and was holding him hostage. Matt continued to try to get large amounts of money out, knowing that it was larger than the amount he was authorized to withdraw at any one time and that since his check had not posted he did not even have that much money in his account. So it remains unclear whether he was trying to discourage his abductor or whether the abductor was just being fanatical and demanding money that Matt did not have.

Now remember, over the next couple of days, the card was used various times. The question is, was Matt even using the card anymore or had he given up the PIN number to his abductor? The card was wiped clean of fingerprints, neither Matt's nor anyone else's fingerprints were on the card. I believe the card was confiscated by the ATM machine a couple of days after Matt's abduction. I get why his roommates did what they did but in hindsight I think it was a bad move. Had the guy continued to use it, you might have had a better chance of tracking him down.

Clearly if Matt was still alive a couple of days after he was last seen, then the killer was holding him somewhere. But the question is, was he alive? Matt was alive a few hours after he disappeared but no one knows if it was him that continued to use the card or whether his abductor forced him to give up the PIN number. Clearly once the card was confiscated the killer would have no use for Matt anymore and that is when Matt was killed.

Now, from what his roommate said, the bank where Matt deposited his paycheck at was only two blocks from their house. He was supposed to pick up some cat food so at most that would have been a 15 minute errand. He disappeared the evening of June 8th, 1988.

Now the time of that night: Matt did go to the local branch, he did deposit his check and got cash back. That was around 11:50 PM, so he got to the bank roughly the time he should have got there. However after leaving the bank, I think it is after he got the cash back, no doubt he got the cash back it was probably only 10 dollars, probably to go and get the cat food. I do believe he was abducted at the local branch bank. What remains unclear is did Matt make it to the store to get the cat food? I am assuming he did not but I cannot be sure 100 percent as it was not mentioned one way or the other in the segment.

Then at 12:20 AM on June 9th, half an hour after he had first been there, he returned the same branch trying to withdraw a large amount of money. I believe two or three attempts were made, then the abductor must have demanded that Matt drive to a different bank. It must have been that far away, it was just 11 minutes later that the card was used again in a different branch in a different neighborhood, that is the one where the hidden camera took the pictures.

Now the time on the security camera states it was 12:33 AM on June 9th, 1988. That year, I believe June 9th would have fallen on a Thursday. But anyway, in the first security camera shot, the abductor was not in the shot, in the 2nd one is when he appears there. I think he was there the whole time of course but I think he was aware the camera was there and I think tried to stay out of the camera's point of view but for whatever reason leaned it just far enough the camera caught him. To me the abductor looked like he was I would say at least 10 years older than Matt if not more. I would say 15 to 20 years older is more like it.

The car was found abandoned on Monday June 27th, 1988 not far from the bank where Matt had vanished from. The car completely wiped clean of fingerprints both inside and outside the car. That tells me whoever this that abducted and killed Matt had a criminal record, that his finger prints were on file because both with the car and with the card he had wiped everything down and he was going to great pains to avoid being caught. I would venture to guess that this was not the first time he had robbed somebody. I do not even think it was the first time he kidnapped somebody. It might not have even been the first time he killed somebody, but I would say for sure this guy had been convicted of robbery or other violent crimes before.

I am still not convinced the guy was in a gang just because of the blue bandana. I mean I know gangs have their own things that they use and wear to try to make themselves unique but a blue bandana? I honestly think it was just an attempt to cover the guy's face. I still find it interesting that he would leave it in the car. It could be that he simply forgot it in the car and if he was a member of a gang, I think they would have at least tracked down which gang it was by now. Southern California has a lot of very distinct gangs. It could be he forgot it which would be a huge blunder on his part if he did, especially if he belonged to a gang. Or it could be he purposely left it in the car, as a calling card. He wiped down his fingerprints off of everything but wanted to leave a sign to the police that it was him that did this.

Now interestingly, more than once in this segment, I had missed it the first few times I watched it, but I noticed that both Matt's roommates and the police would say abductors or would say the people that did this. So I got the impression that they all think probably that more than one person was involved in this. The bandana was found in the back seat of the car so that would seem to me the killer was sitting in the backseat, my guess probably holding a gun on Matt. But I will say, to abduct a grown man on your own and then to hold him hostage for over 24 hours on your own is a pretty bold task. So I am not saying the gang possibilities do not need to be looked at, they do, never good to rule anything out until you can prove it was not an element.

The Midnight Mission, where Matt's roommates were looking for him is still there although it has been remodeled and expanded. http://www.midnightmission.org/ according to the website, the Midnight Mission is located at 601 South San Pedro Street in Los Angeles. Now, the Midnight Mission is basically almost at the intersection of San Pedro Street and 6th Street, that is basically in downtown Los Angeles. It is inside the 101 and 110 freeways, on the northern edge of the cities wholesale district and a little ways south of the cities toy district. Basically it is right in downtown Los Angeles. So where ever Matt and his roommates lived was not far from there and in my opinion where ever they lived was an area that you probably would not want to be walking around or even driving around in at night if you could avoid it.

In trying to track down the players in this case I hit a brick wall. I have no idea where Steve and Theresa Dahl are these days? The only one I was able to find info on was Detective Lionel Salgado of the Pasadena Police. Salgado came under fire in 1988 for arresting a deaf man and refusing to provide him with a sign language interpreter during questioning. The deaf man had been wrongly picked by an eyewitness as a man who had robbed a Wells Fargo bank. The deaf man went in to cash his paycheck, the teller thought he was the guy that had robbed the bank a week earlier and called police. The right man was eventually arrested for the robbery and later pled guilty. The deaf man, Jeno Koth a hungarian immigrant had to communicate with the police through writing and he had trouble interpreting at times what they meant by certain things, filed a lawsuit against the Pasadena Police Department for false imprisonment, humiliation, discrimination in not getting him a sign language interpreter and emotional distress. In 1992 the case went before a civil jury and they agreed with Koth, ruling in his favor, and awarded him 100,000 dollars. Anyway, Lionel Saldago retired from the Pasadena Police Department in the 1990's and now lives in Salem, Oregon, he is an investigator for the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
Great analysis kadrmas. Also, if you are looking for Theresa Dahl, she is on facebook. Someone on this board posted a link to her account but I cannot remember which thread it was under.

I think you make a good point about whether they kept Matt until his check cleared and then killed him.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #40
Zero
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater
Did you see the picture of the blue bandana on the Unsolved.com website? It has initials on it. It's not some run-of-the-mill blue bandada. I think it clearly belonged to someone in a gang. If you read Zero's comments on page 2 of this topic, he/she did some good research (in my opinion) and tracked the initials on the bandana to the East Side Playboys gang of East L.A.

Yet, the guy in the ATM photo seemed pretty old for a 'banger. Maybe he was in the Van Bueren Boys.

She.

Yeah, it seems like no one is paying attention to what I wrote which is fine. I know we all come to our own conclusions so it's cool. But really, you are right when you says it's not a regular old bandanna. Frankly, we can't ignore what's written on it.

Almost every gang has colors that represent them. Crips are blue and bloods are red. Bandannas are often used as "indicators" of which gang you belong to. Though a gang member doesn't always have a bandanna on them, when they do, it's for a reason. More telling are the initials. The initials E.S. PBS do indeed stand for East Side Playboys. A dark blue bandana is just a dark blue bandana to me and you. But to a gang member, it is a symbol of where they're from. What they represent. A bandana of any color altered with the initials of a gang means one thing.... it belongs to a gang member from that gang.

I grew up in Greater Los Angeles and I know most of the area very well. The CITY OF L.A. is large, even when compared to sprawling Greater Los Angeles. "Nearby Pasadena" is closer to certain portions of Los Angeles. But it is not nearby as in a 2 - 3 minute drive. More like 10 to 20. ESPECIALLY where Matt was found. The many ravines that are within the Pasadena city limits are close to L.A., considering the vast amount of land that Los Angeles and Greater Los Angeles (Pasadena included) take up.

I'm not sure where this happened in L.A., but it had to happen not too far away from the 110 freeway. That freeway will take you straight from L.A. to pasadena in about 20 minutes. I also looked up gang territory for ES PBS and it looked like their "hood" is in the eastern portions of L.A., not too far away from the 110 freeway.

Whoever left that bandana in the car was most certainly either a member of E.S. PBS, stole it from a gang member, or hung out with gang members. There's nothing that says a member of the East Side Playboys killed Matt. But maybe he picked up a friend later on who was a member? Maybe a friend who helped him dispose of Matt's body??? Regardless, whoever dropped that bandana WAS into the gang lifestyle. And everything I've seen in the segment tells me at least one thing about this crime; gang related.

Really, how can you tell the suspects age by the video? The video was so grainy and unclear. Also, a lot of you need to remember that when you're in a gang, you're in it for LIFE. Especially with a gang as prominent as the ES PBS were back then. A gang isn't a thing to join when you're wild and crazy at 12, and then get out of when you wise up. You're in until DEATH. And it doesn't matter how many times you go to prison or get shot. Sure, most people do get smart about life and leave the gang behind, but to the gang, you're still in. You're also a traitor.

So the notion of the killer being 25 or 30 or 35 and thus "too old" to have been in a gang doesn't fly. At least with me. I was never in a gang, nor did I ever hang out with gang members. But I grew up in LA in the 80's. I lived there for 24 years of my life. I also worked with kids who's gang life messed them up. Trust me when I say that bandanna belonged to a a gang member.

It would be nice to know what part of Los Angeles Matt lived in. It would also be nice to know whatever became of his friends after all this took place.

Last edited by Zero; 08-18-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #41
SageSlowdive
the real hank queen
Forum Regular

It's responsible for police to investigate every possibility, but the whole gang thing is borderline ridiculous.

The most important thing, the man in the picture doesn't even resemble what a gang member would look like, and put into perspective that a gang member probably wouldn't rob someone alone, there probably would be several people.
SageSlowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #42
Zero
Forum Regular

Gang members don't always travel with an entourage. They have homes and cars or bikes and they travel alone at times. A gang member will rob, hurt, and kill even if alone.

You say the abductor in the video doesn't look like a gang member. Why is that? Not all gang members have a face full of tattoos. Not all gang members are completely bald. Many have hair. Not all gang members have dark skin or are black. In fact, a good number of hispanic gang members are light skin, and some even have blue or green eyes and light brown hair. Not every gang member has facial hair. Finally, the "gang member look" we know so well today really didn't become a popular look until the 90's.

I looked at the bandanna again on UM's website. The initials are ES PBS CLS. These initials do stand for East Side Playboys Sureneos. CLS are the initials for an individual "click" that makes up the entire Playboys gang. The CLS could stand for chicos locos, but don't quote me on that. And yes, their color is blue.... When I was in school in the 90's, we called things like this gang attire.

The way the bandanna was found is another significant clue. Was it folded or tied so as to conceal ones face or go wrapped around the forehead? Gang members do fold and tie their bandannas in certain ways you know.

If three people abduct someone and take them to an ATM, common sense would dictate that you don't need all three of them to escort the abducted. That would just attract more attention. Only one individual is needed -- the most cold blooded and brazen of the bunch.

I wonder where Matt was in the 30 minutes between making the deposit and returning to the ATM again. I think it was during those 30 minutes that Matt ran into trouble.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #43
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
Gang members don't always travel with an entourage. They have homes and cars or bikes and they travel alone at times. A gang member will rob, hurt, and kill even if alone.

You say the abductor in the video doesn't look like a gang member. Why is that? Not all gang members have a face full of tattoos. Not all gang members are completely bald. Many have hair. Not all gang members have dark skin or are black. In fact, a good number of hispanic gang members are light skin, and some even have blue or green eyes and light brown hair. Not every gang member has facial hair. Finally, the "gang member look" we know so well today really didn't become a popular look until the 90's.

I looked at the bandanna again on UM's website. The initials are ES PBS CLS. These initials do stand for East Side Playboys Sureneos. CLS are the initials for an individual "click" that makes up the entire Playboys gang. The CLS could stand for chicos locos, but don't quote me on that. And yes, their color is blue.... When I was in school in the 90's, we called things like this gang attire.

The way the bandanna was found is another significant clue. Was it folded or tied so as to conceal ones face or go wrapped around the forehead? Gang members do fold and tie their bandannas in certain ways you know.

If three people abduct someone and take them to an ATM, common sense would dictate that you don't need all three of them to escort the abducted. That would just attract more attention. Only one individual is needed -- the most cold blooded and brazen of the bunch.

I wonder where Matt was in the 30 minutes between making the deposit and returning to the ATM again. I think it was during those 30 minutes that Matt ran into trouble.
After reading your thoughts and analysis on the case, Zero, I've had to completely amend my own conclusions about it. The letters on the banadana always really bothered me, and in the very back of my mind I did consider that it might've come from a gang member. Upon seeing the man in the ATM photograph, however, I automatically fell victim to stereotypic deductions: the man didn't immediately "look like a gang member", or at least not what I thought a gang member *should* look like. For some reason it didn't occur to me that an individual doesn't have to be dressed flamboyantly to be a gang member. That was my own misinformed judgement.

After doing my own bit of outside research on the East Side Playboys, my standing now is that the crimes were definitely gang-related. That bandana makes absolutely no sense at all in any other context.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #44
kadrmas15

I posted the general area where the bank was and the streets and stuff. It was downtown LA, it was inside the freeways. Where his exact house was that he lived, I do not know but he lived only two blocks from the bank where he made the deposit.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #45
kadrmas15

Correction, I posted where the shelter was that they looked for him. It sounded like the shelter was not far from the ban but I do not know. I still would venture to guess that they lived somewhere close to downtown Los Angeles. I have thought of putting in for a freedom of information act request to the LAPD and/or Pasadena PD to see if an address would be in the files where Matt lived or at least the address of the bank he disappeared from.