Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #46
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Yes, this case was a prime example of shoddy police work. I was just stunned at the low quality and am amazed at how badly some of these police departments are at investigating cases. The coroner not being able to find a cause of death was surprising. A seemingly healthy 17 year old male does not just die for no reason. But it was the early 80's too and they didnt have the technology at that time that they do now. Maybe they would be able to find the cause now that they couldnt find then. As for Sova's parents still living does anyone know? At the time of the segment it looked like his parents were in their early to mid 50's. That would make them probably very late 60's, very early 70's now.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #47
Dislimb
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

The 25th anniversary of his death is fast approaching. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about finding more information about this case. I live about a 5-10 minute drive from the Newburgh Heights Police Department.
Dislimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #48
Angel4u2
Occasional Poster

As far as I know Kurt's mother is still alive but his father has since passed on. He does have three brothers, all of which I do believe live in the area. There has not been any interviews or articles in the paper recently or at least as far as I know.
Angel4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 AM   #49
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

I think the friend who supposedly saw Kurt Sova...this was false and just some thing to make the UM segment more interesting...they do do that you know....usually the answers are right in front of everybody...

And I wonder how much UM held back, how LE really handled this, I do get the feeling they didn't do a very good job and probably thought of him as a runaway (very common back then before all these laws) and then when they found the body...autopsy, no cause known, case closed. Did they really interview the "friend" who allegedly put KS up against the fence and then went back inside? What about the girl who had the party. Can you imagine this day in age, those two would be interrogated heavily and the real story would come out, especially since whats her name lied about having a party.

and the Detroit Crazy, like I said, if he really did say those things....there had to have been a connection with KS, who would say that otherwise?

if KS really did die due to some unkown heart ailment or whatever....what the hell was he doing in the woods???
SiberianKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 AM   #50
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

Dislimb,

if you live 5 mins from the police dept of the town where KS was from....why don't you go on down to the station and ask about it.

agree they should do a cold case on this.

*edit*

if UM told us pretty much everything, this was one of the worst police investigations of all time.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #51
dynoguy88

Default reply

Somebody asked for a timeline of the 5 days between Kurt leaving home on Friday and when his body was found on Wednesday. I went back to watch the segment and wrote all the info down to help with people's theories.

TIMELINE -

FRIDAY AFTERNOON (October 23, 1981) - Kurt leaves his house. A block away, he meets up with one of his friends.

FRIDAY EVENING - Kurt goes to the party at "Susan's" duplex. He never returns home.

SATURDAY MORNING (October 24, 1981) - Ken Sova searches the neighborhood, Dorothy Sova callls everyone she knows asking where Kurt is.

SUNDAY MORNING (October 25, 1981) - The Sova's register Kurt as a missing person with the Cleveland Police and they put up flyers with his picture around town.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON - After talking with some of his friends, Dorothy Sova finds out about Kurt going to the party. She goes to Susan's duplex and finds out Susan is working, so she gives her phone number to the babysitter.

SUNDAY EVENING - Dorothy gets a phone call from Susan. Susan says she never had a party and she never saw Kurt. However, a pizza boy confirms that he delivered pizza to a party at the duplex Friday night. Dorothy calls Susan back again and this time Susan says she DID in fact have a party and Kurt was there drinking heavily.

MONDAY MORNING (October 26, 1981) - Kurt's friend says he spots Kurt walking with another boy along a busy road less than a mile from the Sova home. David claims he pulls to the side of the road to offer Kurt a ride, then says Kurt yelled "Franko!" to a man that pulled up in a van. The boys get in the van and drive off.

MONDAY AFTERNOON - The crazy guy from Detroit walks into a record store (after seeing a flyer) and tells the owner that Kurt will be found dead in 2 days and nobody will know how he died.

TUESDAY MORNING (October 27, 1981) - The record store owner goes to open the store and finds flowers and a note from the crazy from Detroit. The note says -

"Roses are red,
the sky is blue.
They found him dead,
and they'll find you too."

TUESDAY AFTERNOON - Police question the crazy from Detroit. But since Kurt was just missing at this time, they let him go. He is never seen again.

TUESDAY AFTERNOON - Ken Sova searches the ravine where Kurt's body would be found the next day. He sees nothing.

WEDNESDAY MORNING (October 28, 1981) - At 3:30 a.m., Susan calls Dorothy to tell her that someone is asleep in her basement and it might be Kurt. Ken Sova goes over to the duplex to investigate but doesn't find him in the basement.

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON - Kurt's body is found in the ravine, just 500 yards from Susan's duplex.

The autopsy says that Kurt died 24-36 hours BEFORE his body was found - that means he officially died some time on Tuesday between the early hours and the afternoon.

Last edited by dynoguy88; 10-20-2006 at 10:08 AM.
dynoguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #52
UMfan77

Thanks for putting that timeline together, it really gives everyone a better look at when certain things happened. This whole case seems like a big puzzle. Kurt Sova R.I.P.
UMfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #53
SiberianKiss
Frequent Poster

thanks dynoguy

MONDAY AFTERNOON - The crazy guy from Detroit walks into a record store (after seeing a flyer) and tells the owner that Kurt will be found dead in 2 days and nobody will know how he died.

TUESDAY MORNING (October 27, 1981) - The record store owner goes to open the store and finds flowers and a note from the crazy from Detroit. The note says -

"Roses are red,
the sky is blue.
They found him dead,
and they'll find you too."

hmmm I never noticed but he said two days on monday and wednesday is when "they" meaning the cops, family, etc found him. However on tuesday he wrote "they found him dead" well the family and law enforcement still didn't know where Sova was or what had happened to him. i wonder if "they" means somebody else in the poem. who could it be. then again maybe this whole "detroit crazy" (still cracks me up hearing that) is all nonsense....perhaps UM just trying to make it more of mystery then it really is. one of the weirdest unsolved mysteries ever imo.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #54
kane7474
Forum Regular

I just watched this episode again and noticed a few things I didnt pick up on before.

1st- The friend who claims to have left Kurt on the fence is never named in the segment. This tells me that the police never spoke to him at all. If indeed he had been questioned by the police the report and his name could have been made public by UM. But since this never happened Mrs. Sova did not speak his name on the segment

2. The whole story about the party at Susan's house came from Kurt's mom, not a police report, also the woman who hosted the party is simply known by her first name, again giving me the idea that police never questioned her.

3. David Trusec, who claims to have seen Kurt walking down the side of the road on sunday never mentions giving statements to police. His story was given directly to UM as he was the ONLY other person involved besides Kurt's parents and the girl at the record store to speak on camera.

4. There was a short interview with the head of the police dept for that city. There were no statements from a detective of any kind. The officer simply stated that it appeared someone had put the body in that area so that he would be found soon. Being that it was the head of the police dept and not a detective that was interviewed, again you must wonder if the case was investigated at all.

5. When the story of Eugene Kivet is being relayed at the end it is never stated that his cause of death is unknown. All that is said is that he knew Kurt, was found in a ravine and was missing the right shoe. I think they through this in, and give such a vauge description just to add some mystery here.

6. The Coroner states that Kurt did not have enough alcohol in his system to kill him. By this statement though we can assume that he did have some alcohol in his body at the time of death. Now, by this mans estimates Kurt actually died on Monday or Tuesday so there is no way he would still have booze in his system from the friday night party. This means whatever he did at the party did not kill him. He was up and around and continued partying through the weekend. So more then one person saw Kurt after the party and know what happened to him. Can more then one person keep a secret? Ofcourse when they are never named as suspects or even so much as questioned by police why would they ever give up there silence? Again and again the more you put this one together it all comes back to the worst job of police work I have ever seen.
kane7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #55
racethetrain
Occasional Poster

my main issue with this case (as far as um is concerened) is that Kurt's parents piece almost everything together, while I'm not saying the details aren't correct I do believe Kurt's parents may lack judgement due to being blindsided by their obvious love for their son. (But can you blame them??) Unfortunatly sometimes when parents get soo involved in investigations it can throw a wrench in the overall investigations because of their lack of objectivity.
racethetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #56
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, I am always skeptical when a parent says their kid never drank, never partied, never did this and that. I mean Robert Stack "Kurt was not much of a drinker" however does this mean he never drank? No. It just means it was not the end all, be all for him. I think that what happened was Kurt was partying all weekend, things got out of h and, he got hurt somehow and the people that he was with panicked and tried to nurse him back to health but he ended up dying. I mean it is such a bizarre and sad case it is hard to tell exactly what happened. According to the Social Security Death Index, Kurt's father passed away in 2001 but his mom is still alive.
kadrmas15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #57
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Well, I am always skeptical when a parent says their kid never drank, never partied, never did this and that. I mean Robert Stack "Kurt was not much of a drinker" however does this mean he never drank? No. It just means it was not the end all, be all for him. I think that what happened was Kurt was partying all weekend, things got out of h and, he got hurt somehow and the people that he was with panicked and tried to nurse him back to health but he ended up dying. I mean it is such a bizarre and sad case it is hard to tell exactly what happened. According to the Social Security Death Index, Kurt's father passed away in 2001 but his mom is still alive.
I don't think she said that he never drank or partied, she just said that they never had problems with him at school or in the neighborhood. Its pretty obvious he wasnt much of a wild child being that his parents were alarmed and reported him missing on Saturday. Im sure we've all known kids at his age that would be gone all weekend and the parents wouldnt think a thing of it.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #58
kane7474
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racethetrain
my main issue with this case (as far as um is concerened) is that Kurt's parents piece almost everything together, while I'm not saying the details aren't correct I do believe Kurt's parents may lack judgement due to being blindsided by their obvious love for their son. (But can you blame them??) Unfortunatly sometimes when parents get soo involved in investigations it can throw a wrench in the overall investigations because of their lack of objectivity.
Your exactly right about his parents piecing everything together. In this case though I think that is all UM had to go on, being that the police never seemed to question anyone involved. As far as the parents throwing a wrench into the investigations, I think you would actually have to have an investigation to have a wrench thrown in it. From what we have been presented with there is no evidence of any investigation on the part of the police.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #59
buddah
Occasional Poster

Default From that area

no one has ever really came out and siad who he was with, I went to school with his older brothers and actually hung out with one of them, one brother was always in trouble and is in prison for a long time, I remember some of the people involved and always had a feeling on who did this.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #60
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Hi Buddah,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry for prying, but is it possible for you to elaborate on who you think may have been responsible for Kurt's death? As you can see, we've done a LOT of speculating on these boards and would be interested to have the opinion of someone who was a lot closer to the case than we were. If you feel like revealing this information would compromise your identity, then please don't say anything, but just know that all of us would be very interested in any insights you can give us in Kurt's baffling death.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote