Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Mary Tyler Moore Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Mary Tyler Moore Show Photo Gallery

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Valerie Harper's husband says doctors recommend hospice care. Why he won't do it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...hCp?li=BBnb2gh

Quote:
Doctors have recommended that acting legend Valerie Harper be put in hospice care, but her husband refuses to do so.

"I have been told by doctors to put Val in Hospice care and I can't [because of our 40 years of shared commitment to each other] and I won't because of the amazing good deeds she has graced us with while she's been here on earth," Valerie's husband, Tony Cacciotti, wrote on Facebook. "We will continue going forward as long as the powers above allow us, I will do my very best in making Val as comfortable as possible."

The "Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "Rhoda" star's health has been dwindling as she battles brain cancer, which she was diagnosed with in 2013.

"There are two special ANGELS on this planet masquerading as humans who live and work together, that have made it possible to have all of Val's needs taken care of," Tony wrote on Tuesday. "For those of you who have been in this position, you will totally understand that 'it's hard letting go.' So as long as I'm able and capable, I'll be where I belong right beside her."

Tony added, "Many, many thanks for your outpouring of kindness and support."

Valerie's longtime friend Deanna also wrote a note on the Facebook page, telling fans she will continue to update them.

"We are so grateful for your love and support," she wrote.

Valerie, 79, who rose to fame playing Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" in the 1970s, has had health issues in the past, having beat lung cancer in 2009. Recently, Tony and Deanna set up a GoFundMe to help with Valerie's medical bills.

In a 2017 interview with Fox News, Valerie reflected on her Emmy-winning career

"I've had a wonderful career," she said. "I got to be an actress. I was a dancer. And then I grew into this area of acting and that was just so wonderful."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Poor Valerie! Prayers to her and her Husband!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Valerie Harper spend $3 million to stay alive for 6 years

Quote:
In 2009, Harper underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her lungs. She thought she had beaten the deadly disease until four years later, when she was told the cancer had spread to the linings of her brain and spinal cord — and she was given three months to live.

According to a source, one pill alone cost $1,000 and the 79-year-old needed to take at least ten a week, totaling a whopping $3 million spent since she was diagnosed in 2013.

In order to continue fighting for her life Opens a New Window, the Golden Globe winner sold her Los Angeles home years ago and her prized possessions.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
PracTz

According to this week's Closer magazine, their daughter Christina has said that Mr. Cacciotti hasn't let her or her half-brothers (by his first marriage) see Miss Harper in months! She tries to give her father some justification saying that he doesn't deal with death well and Miss Harper has been everything to him for so long. However; if what has been reported (and what she is saying is true), then I can't imagine that's helping Miss Harper's current state whatsoever. Miss Cacciotti said that Miss Harper has had great difficulty communicating for these last months due to her language function being impacted by her condition. However; considering the fact that Miss Harper went so far as to say she was thankful she had never conceived a child on her own because it had given her the opportunity to raise this daughter, I'd think she'd be greatly comforted by her daughter's presence during this time even if she's no longer able to verbalize the appreciation.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

This is all so heartbreaking.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
PracTz

Well, good news as per this week's Closer magazine, Miss Harper's husband has not only let there be visits from their daughter again but also has come to realize that hospice care can be done without Miss Harper having to leave the family home so he's letting that happen. Yes, as sad as it is that it appears that her time here is coming nearer to the end, at least she's more likely getting the best care and attention possible.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Steve_uk
Suspended
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracTz View Post
Well, good news as per this week's Closer magazine, Miss Harper's husband has not only let there be visits from their daughter again but also has come to realize that hospice care can be done without Miss Harper having to leave the family home so he's letting that happen. Yes, as sad as it is that it appears that her time here is coming nearer to the end, at least she's more likely getting the best care and attention possible.
I have a friend who works voluntarily in a hospice and they do good work. To be honest though if I got to that stage I wouldn't be taking so many pills at $1000 a pop: just hand me a cyanide capsule. I'd also want relatives to remember me as I was so no visitors please.

Last edited by Steve_uk; 08-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
smittykins
Frequent Poster

She’s survived a lot longer than most people with this form of brain cancer(I believe the average is about a year and a half).
smittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

One bit of good news is that she is still in their home. My aunt had home hospice care.

We discussed that possibility for my mother before she died nearly two years ago. I mentioned it to the doctor, and he said she could live quite a while longer, so no. She died several weeks later. The prognosis isn't good for a 97-year-old with heart failure. One morning the nursing home called me to say my mother said she felt funny, and then her heart stopped. The paramedics revived her, but she died in the hospital a few hours later.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear the sad news about Valerie. She made an amazing recovery and I'm glad she was able to have a longer life.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
She’s survived a lot longer than most people with this form of brain cancer(I believe the average is about a year and a half).
The typical time to live with the cancer she had was 4 weeks without treatment and three months with treatment. She was diagnosed in 2013 so lived six years longer than she should have.