Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery


Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Will and Grace Fanatic
be happy
Moderator
Senior Member
 
Will and Grace Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2002
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 2,726
Default Was the Shelley Long feud real?

I've watched the E True Hollywood Story and articles on the feud she seemed to have with every cast member. But has attended reunions with all the cast and she has even done movies with George Wendt. So was the feud real or just made up to sell stories?
__________________
love is love
Will and Grace Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
scrapple
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 250
Default

From what I've read and seen in interviews, Shelley was pretty much like most people in everyday jobs... you work with people, clock out at the end of your shift and go home. Just because she didn't really socialize off the set, doesn't mean there was a feud. Imaginary feuds sell more papers.

I must say that Shelley and Ted had amazing chemistry on-screen. It's funny how on "Bewitched", Elizabeth Montgomery was much closer to Darrin #2 Dick Sargent. But on-screen, they had no chemistry at all. She was not all that close to Darrin #1 Dick York, but they had a wonderful rapport on the TV screen.
scrapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 5,225
Default

The interviews I've seen indicate that the feud was very real. I remember an interview with Ted Danson where he confirmed the feud. And Kelsey Grammar has stated a lot of things in his autobiography, including that Shelley Long wanted him off the show. And other cast members have said things about Shelley as well. Even decades later, things still get brought up, though the actors have mostly forgiven each other by now. This 2012 interview, long after the show's run, and long after any need for publicity, confirms the feud was real.

And the Cheers cast weren't the only actors who couldn't get along with Shelley Long. Bette Midler said the same thing.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
kclj520
Member
Frequent Poster
 
kclj520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 15, 2015
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 80
Default

Like anyone anywhere, we disagree, and when egos and a lot of money in the #1 show for years get involved, some people are going to get upset. I am glad people have moved forward and that this show is still a great classic!
kclj520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #5
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 36,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple
From what I've read and seen in interviews, Shelley was pretty much like most people in everyday jobs... you work with people, clock out at the end of your shift and go home. Just because she didn't really socialize off the set, doesn't mean there was a feud. Imaginary feuds sell more papers.

I must say that Shelley and Ted had amazing chemistry on-screen. It's funny how on "Bewitched", Elizabeth Montgomery was much closer to Darrin #2 Dick Sargent. But on-screen, they had no chemistry at all. She was not all that close to Darrin #1 Dick York, but they had a wonderful rapport on the TV screen.
From what I've gathered, Shelley Long was a huge perfectionist. In essence, she would question just about everything on Cheers. Ken Levine, one of the writers on Cheers, said that Shelley was a lovely person, who committed to her role and he appreciated her dedication. However, the other actors found her exhausting. They resented how she monopolized the writers by endlessly discussing Diane, they hated how she couldn't just do the part as written wasting hours going through it. Basically, she had to go over everything, discuss each line.

Last edited by TMC; 03-23-2016 at 03:45 AM.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
IllinoisTVFan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2011
Location: South of Chicago
Posts: 2,718
Default

I read somewhere the only cast members she got along with well were Woody Harrelson and Nicholas Colasanto and that she had severe problems especially with Rhea Pearlman. However if I recall by the the time of the ending she got along better with most (except Rhea Pearlman). Interesting to note Pearlman became good friends wit Kirstie Alley.

Sidenote but one of the reasons my parents originally tuned into Cheers was because they knew who Shelly Long was. She hosted a local show and was in a commercial for a furniture store. I remember them telling people about this show because no one else watched at the time. Of course it became popular.
IllinoisTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 36,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisTVFan
I read somewhere the only cast members she got along with well were Woody Harrelson and Nicholas Colasanto and that she had severe problems especially with Rhea Pearlman. However if I recall by the the time of the ending she got along better with most (except Rhea Pearlman). Interesting to note Pearlman became good friends wit Kirstie Alley.

Sidenote but one of the reasons my parents originally tuned into Cheers was because they knew who Shelly Long was. She hosted a local show and was in a commercial for a furniture store. I remember them telling people about this show because no one else watched at the time. Of course it became popular.
Shelley Long also from what I've read, often kept to herself while on set. In other words, she didn't like or was comfortable w/ socializing w/ her cast-mates. Like for example, she often ate lunch by herself.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
retroTVfan4ever
Member
Senior Member
 
retroTVfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 30, 2009
Posts: 4,037
Default

"Sorting It Out" was the Chicago TV show Shelley co-hosted along with Bob Smith on WMAQ TV. It was a "what's going on around the town" type of show.

The commercials Shelley did were for John M. Smyth/Homemakers furniture stores.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
IllinoisTVFan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 22, 2011
Location: South of Chicago
Posts: 2,718
Default

That's true. It was funny because when Cheers premiered they watched because they knew who she was.
IllinoisTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
CosmicCharlie
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2019
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
From what I've gathered, Shelley Long was a huge perfectionist. In essence, she would question just about everything on Cheers. Ken Levine, one of the writers on Cheers, said that Shelley was a lovely person, who committed to her role and he appreciated her dedication. However, the other actors found her exhausting. They resented how she monopolized the writers by endlessly discussing Diane, they hated how she couldn't just do the part as written wasting hours going through it. Basically, she had to go over everything, discuss each line.
Just Like Diane Chambers lol
CosmicCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
KatieAnn
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2011
Posts: 352
Default

Recently Henry Wrinkler mentioned that Shelley was the actress he liked working with the least. This was on the Hoda and Kathie Lee Show. They asked something like "who was the person you liked working with the least" and he said Shelley, that she would hog a shot that was supposed to be both of them, get them to turn the camera to be on her.

I'm sure I'd already heard that they didn't get along, but it's kind of sad that she has had so many supposed issues with people she's worked with. I liked her on Cheers, I thought she had great chemistry with Ted Danson and that she played her part very well. And one thing I'd say she was right about was questioning why Frasier should keep coming back to the bar after Diane and Frasier broke up. It was a fair question, and while I'm glad they kept the actor on the show, I don't blame Shelley for questioning it, because the character doesn't really fit with that group on the surface, being a professional with refined tastes etc., and after a certain point he wasn't really all that interested in Diane anymore.
KatieAnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
CosmicCharlie
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2019
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAnn View Post
Recently Henry Wrinkler mentioned that Shelley was the actress he liked working with the least. This was on the Hoda and Kathie Lee Show. They asked something like "who was the person you liked working with the least" and he said Shelley, that she would hog a shot that was supposed to be both of them, get them to turn the camera to be on her.

I'm sure I'd already heard that they didn't get along, but it's kind of sad that she has had so many supposed issues with people she's worked with. I liked her on Cheers, I thought she had great chemistry with Ted Danson and that she played her part very well. And one thing I'd say she was right about was questioning why Frasier should keep coming back to the bar after Diane and Frasier broke up. It was a fair question, and while I'm glad they kept the actor on the show, I don't blame Shelley for questioning it, because the character doesn't really fit with that group on the surface, being a professional with refined tastes etc., and after a certain point he wasn't really all that interested in Diane anymore.

I remember reading that Shelly Long had complained that Ted Danson usually had bad breath when they had to kiss on set .... LOL
CosmicCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.