Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Mary Tyler Moore Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Mary Tyler Moore Show Photo Gallery

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #16
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Retro4Life
I know in the back of my mind posting about Mary aging would upset some, but I am being realistic and not mean-spirited. Neither Rhoda or Phyllis aged like Mary did. Or even Lou.
I'm not even the only one here who commented on her looks, but I seem to be the only one you took offense to.

However in year 6, there weren't as many Mary centered episodes which was another problem. It was the Ted & Georgette show. There were 2 episodes about Ted's problems in the bedroom, Lou sleeps with Sue Ann, and Mary forgives the guy who cheated on her. It's the MTM show, yet Mary seems to be the only one not getting any action.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #17
Yong Fang

Well, Ted was married to a woman young enough to be his daughter whose voice sounded like a four year old. It just seemed a bit creepy for lack of a better word. His wife on "Too Close For Comfort" was closer to his age and had a good chemistry. Georgia Engel was really beautiful as a young woman, but her voice, while unique was very childlike.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
MaryRichards
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
Mary was only 40 (going on 41) when the MTM Show went off the air in 1977. But I agree that she looked older than her actual age, which I attribute to her diabetes, drinking, smoking, the stress of headlining a television show and a failing marriage to Grant Tinker. There was a lot of darkness under that smile of hers. I made a thread with no response on this, but I hope someone does a movie about MTM's life. She was really the definition of that Bible verse of "To gain the whole World yet lose your own soul."

I also think that 40 was a lot older in 1978 than 40 in 2018. People drink and smoke less, but eat more, so we are more youthful but fatter. The generation in their twenties now will be in their 40's and shocked how old the people their age looked. Seriously.
I also think MTM spent too much time in the sun, which really damages your skin. Her skin was too tan for someone living in Minneapolis. This was before tanning salons were a thing.
MaryRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:30 AM   #19
MaryMorgenstern
Occasional Poster

I don't know about jumping the shark but the show changed for the worse after season 3. Mary seemed tougher and less feminine and the new opening really killed it for me.

I've just recently gotten into the show. I really adore the opening of the first 3 seasons. It's so inspiring seeing a young Mary running around wearing dainty, girly clothes and looking pretty but still being independent and very much her own woman.
In contrast I was sort of appalled by the the season 4 opening. I hated the the masculine pants suits and hated the hair and the awful tan. Her whole demeanor was different. She seemed cynical in that newer opening and was no longer "sweet". Was this to please the growing feminist climate at that time?
I really don't understand what happened between season 3 and 4 and even between season 2 and 3. It disappoints me.
MaryMorgenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #20
MaryMorgenstern
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
When Lou Grant ran out of scotch at work, went crazy, forced himself on the Happy Homemaker and beat Ted Baxter to a bloody pulp with Mare crying saying "Oh, Mr. Graaaaant!"

That's when the show lost me.
This actually happened?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
MaryRichards
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMorgenstern
This actually happened?
No. Although Mr. Grant did have dinner with Sue Ann one night, had too much to drink, and Sue Ann took full advantage of it. Lou doesn't even remember it, and only knows because he woke up in Sue Ann's bed. We don't actually see that scene, just that Lou comes into work without his socks and hungover, and Mary figures out what happened.

It's in the Season 6 episode "Once I Had A Secret Love."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_vvqFUFos
MaryRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #22
MaryMorgenstern
Occasional Poster

I am on season 5 now and Mary looks MUCH improved over season 4. She has more weight on her and just overall seems happier and healthier. Season 4 hair and overall look was a disaster! But it's either next season or season 7 where her hair goes bad again lol. I miss Rhoda. I guess I'll have to start watching her show.