Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Three's Company (Sitcoms Online) / PB's Three's Company Page: Jack's Bistro / Three's Company links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Three's Company Photo Gallery

Three's Company - Season 1

Buy Three's Company - Season 1 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 2

Buy Three's Company - Season 2 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 3

Buy Three's Company - Season 3 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 4

Buy Three's Company - Season 4 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 5

Buy Three's Company - Season 5 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 6

Buy Three's Company - Season 6 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 7

Buy Three's Company - Season 7 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 8

Buy Three's Company - Season 8 on DVD
Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Jack's Favroties

Buy Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Jack's Favorites on DVD
Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Janet's Favroties

Buy Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Janet's Favorites on DVD
Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection

Buy Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Three's Company

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 26, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Manifest Cancellation Being Reconsidered; American Housewife Sold for Broadcast Syndication

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
eleri
Occasional Poster

Confused Did 80s fashion kill 3s Company?

TC got its start as jiggle TV. Girls (plus Jack) in tight-fitting outfits engaged in various comedic high-jinks. Then along came the 80s: shoulder pads, flowing, oversized clothes. Gone was the jiggle.

TC dropped DRAMATICALLY in the ratings between the 7th season and the 8th. Could it be that oddly conservative, 80s fashions killed the show?
eleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleri
TC got its start as jiggle TV. Girls (plus Jack) in tight-fitting outfits engaged in various comedic high-jinks. Then along came the 80s: shoulder pads, flowing, oversized clothes. Gone was the jiggle.

TC dropped DRAMATICALLY in the ratings between the 7th season and the 8th. Could it be that oddly conservative, 80s fashions killed the show?
Well I will agree Season 8 episodes were a lot lamer compared to the earlier seasons.

The edge was gone. While I don't think it was the clothes that killed the show, it didn't help.

And yeah, shoulder pads were never sexy.

The same fashion problem happened in Season 5 of Rhoda. Rhoda's hair and clothes were ugly compared to the other seasons.

And let's not forget the puffy poodle hair look on gals in the 80s. Not good.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
JackJanetChrissy
Forum Regular

Janet started dressing differently starting in Season 4, and Chrissy got her 80's heavy-makeup/bleached doll makeover, too. I preferred the more natural looks at the beginning of the show.

It's an interesting question. Terri was a lot less provocative with her outfits (and I'm sorry, the culottes are not attractive in any era), but when she first came on she sometimes went braless and had a more natural, carefree look. By the end of the series she had those awful bangs and a lot of frosted lipstick. Perhaps the 80s was just an unattractive fashion era, and everyone suffered, lol.

When I think about it, the more natural look of earlier seasons inspires a kind of nostalgia and affection for the 70s, whereas the hard look of the 80s seems more recent and therefore more drab to me. Weird, I know.
JackJanetChrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
eleri
Occasional Poster

Default Retro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdellis
people like to see retro theme fashion program mes
But 80s fashion wasn't retro when the show came out.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
TMC
Forum Legend

It makes me wonder how Charlie's Angels would've dealt with changing tastes in fashion had it been on much longer than five years. Charlie's Angels ended its run in 1981 (it generally takes a few years for the aftertaste of the past decade's style to disappear) and if of course, considered to be the ultimate "jiggle show" of that time.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
thejasoomian
Frequent Poster

The fashion on Three's Company isn't bad. I was watching some Man About The House episodes yesterday and talk about fashion! The girls wearing these big puffy sleeved dresses that you see in the old Hammer Films. Robin could have dressed better, he seemed to be always wearing a pullover sweater or sweatshirt. But Man About The House had a lot better sets and just about everything else. It really looked like a roomy two bedroom apartment. The furnishings on Three's Company looked sparse in comparison.
thejasoomian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
eleri
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejasoomian View Post
I was watching some Man About The House episodes yesterday and talk about fashion! The girls wearing these big puffy sleeved dresses that you see in the old Hammer Films. Robin could have dressed better, he seemed to be always wearing a pullover sweater or sweatshirt.

And let's not forget MATH Chrissy's puffy hair-do. What was that even?

Old 09-28-2019, 01:17 AM   #8
SitcomsHeydayfan

As John Ritter himself said it was the lack of quality scripts that was the death knell of TC.

If they had great scripts to keep us laughing the show would've gone on one way or another! Already in 8 seasons most of the plots involved a misunderstanding or mixup and that was kind of getting old eventhough they always made it funny thanks to Jack.

I always wondered couldn't they get new writers to try other plotlines besides the usual mixup/misunderstanding??
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
JackJanetChrissy
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejasoomian View Post
The fashion on Three's Company isn't bad. I was watching some Man About The House episodes yesterday and talk about fashion! The girls wearing these big puffy sleeved dresses that you see in the old Hammer Films. Robin could have dressed better, he seemed to be always wearing a pullover sweater or sweatshirt. But Man About The House had a lot better sets and just about everything else. It really looked like a roomy two bedroom apartment. The furnishings on Three's Company looked sparse in comparison.
I always thought MAtH sets looked drab and cramped, especially George and Mildred's apartment compared to Three's Company Ropers' apartment. The film quality may have washed it out a little, though. I agree with you that the MAtH sets were much more cluttered than Three's Company's.
JackJanetChrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #10
BestTVever
Frequent Poster

80s fashion ruined many 70's show. Threes Company had 3 struggling roommates in the 70s. Janet had patches on her jeans, etc. When the 80s hit, they kept this crummy apartment but suddenly had a big budget for fashion. Janet wore lots of make up too. Their wardrobe was all about flashy 80s fashion. I wonder how they would have made Mrs Roper dress in 1984 LOL
BestTVever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #11
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

You make a good point regarding the apartment. They struggled to pay the rent, yet bought lots of clothes. But I will say that a lot of people spend beyond their means for a lot of clothes & shoes they don't really need.

I think to me the attractiveness of the actors overrides what they're wearing. There continued to be some very sexy stuff worn in later seasons anyway. For example we see Priscilla Barnes / Terri in a bikini in 1983, Season 8...!

Name:  eff3a8af1988641f935823a259abcbcf.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  46.0 KB

Yeah baby, EXTREMELY hot!
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:45 AM   #12
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestTVever View Post
80s fashion ruined many 70's show. Threes Company had 3 struggling roommates in the 70s. Janet had patches on her jeans, etc. When the 80s hit, they kept this crummy apartment but suddenly had a big budget for fashion. Janet wore lots of make up too. Their wardrobe was all about flashy 80s fashion. I wonder how they would have made Mrs Roper dress in 1984 LOL
Personally, I thought Janet and Jack looked better in the 80s.
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:48 AM   #13
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJanetChrissy View Post
Janet started dressing differently starting in Season 4, and Chrissy got her 80's heavy-makeup/bleached doll makeover, too. I preferred the more natural looks at the beginning of the show.

It's an interesting question. Terri was a lot less provocative with her outfits (and I'm sorry, the culottes are not attractive in any era), but when she first came on she sometimes went braless and had a more natural, carefree look. By the end of the series she had those awful bangs and a lot of frosted lipstick. Perhaps the 80s was just an unattractive fashion era, and everyone suffered, lol.

When I think about it, the more natural look of earlier seasons inspires a kind of nostalgia and affection for the 70s, whereas the hard look of the 80s seems more recent and therefore more drab to me. Weird, I know.
Some people in the 80s were natural and some people in the 70s had a hard look. Everyone did not look the same. Also, people wore "awful" bangs and frosted lipstick in other decades, not just the 80s. All decades had good and unattractive fashions.
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
DEH55
Frequent Poster

80's hair was the worst. Guys with mullets and everyone with just big hair. I think the show that suffered the worst was The Facts Of Life. Nothing but shoulder pads and giant sprayed hair. Awful.
DEH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #15
Mace Dolex

Mr. Furley was still wearing godawful polyester clothes until the very end.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote