Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

All Other TV Shows Photo Gallery / Sketch Comedy/Variety/Talk Shows/Late Night TV Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > All Other TV Shows

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 2, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman Remake for TBS; Schitt's Creek Producer Hoping to Replicate Success with Son of a Critch
Fri-Yay: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest Are Promising Comedies on Apple TV+; Paramount+ Announces Cast for The Game Revival
Sarah Silverman Hosting David Letterman Produced TBS Series; More Stars Joining And Just Like That...
Game Show Network Announces New Original Series; Retta Hosting New HGTV Show
Fox Fall 2021 Premiere Dates; B.J. Novak's The Premise to Premiere on FX on Hulu
Damon Wayans Jr. to Host Frogger; Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens Getting All-Star Guests

New on DVD/Blu-ray (March-July)

Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)

03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Re-Release)
08/03 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-14-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
stevearino
Frequent Poster

Default A Really Big Shew Is Coming to Me-TV

https://metv.com/shows/the-ed-sullivan-show

Starting next Sunday, March 21, "Mr. Sunday Night," Ed Sullivan, will be returning to Sunday nights on Me-TV at 9:30 P.M. ET

In honor of this tremendous occasion, I'd like to start a General Discussion on "The Ed Sullivan Show," which for 23 years, aired Sunday nights at 8 P.M. ET on the CBS Television Network from June 20, 1948 - March 28, 1971 for over 1,000 Sunday nights, becoming an American Institution; for 23 years, Edward Vincent "Ed" Sullivan was, is, and forever shall remain, "Mr. Sunday Night," born on September 28, 1901 in New York City, New York and raised in nearby Port Chester, New York, the living half of a twin whose twin, Danny, arrived stillborn.

Before and during his variety show, Ed had been a successful syndicated newspaper columnist--and like fellow future variety show host Lawrence Welk, a bandleader who, on his variety show, orchestrated the music for Ray Bloch.

A true variety show in every sense of the word, like Lawrence Welk on ABC simultaneously, "The Ed Sullivan Show" was cancelled by CBS not due to poor ratings but because, like Lawrence Welk's audience, Ed Sullivan's audience had become "too old" instead of "too small," as CBS was in its Rural Purge phase when it started advertising for Madison Avenue audiences; after 1,065 Sunday nights, Ed Sullivan signed off for the last time on March 28, 1971.

The show was originally conceived by Marlo Lewis as a vehicle for Ed under the title "Toast of the Town." At the start of its 8th season in September 1955, after initially being referred to as such, "Toast of the Town" officially became known as "The Ed Sullivan Show" for the rest of its 23 years on CBS.

3 years later, at age 73, Ed Sullivan signed off Permanently from Earth of Esophegeal Cancer, weeks after his birthday on October 23, 1974; already living with advanced Alzheimer's Disease, Ed's daughter, Betty Precht, and his son-in-law, Bob Precht (who worked on the variety show as producer), reportedly kept Ed's Cancer diagnosis secret from him, with Ed wrongfully believing he was in the Hospital for the last time due to Chronic Ulcers.

In the years since, reruns of "The Ed Sullivan Show" made their cable TV debut on Nick at Nite, airing from April 29, 1996 - April 29, 1997, with the show making its Nick at Nite debut as part of its sneak peek of sister network TV Land (then officially called Nick at Nite's TV Land until January 1997).

Afterwards, "The Ed Sullivan Show" aired regularly on Nick at Nite from May 4, 1996 - July 6, 1996 as part of a weekly Saturday-night rotation block from 10 P.M. to 12 A.M. ET called "Nick at Nite's TV Land Sampler," where the show, along with other inaugural TV Land shows e.g. "Petticoat Junction," "St. Elsewhere," "Hill Street Blues," "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" and "Mannix" rotated weekly on Nick at Nite, pulling double duty on TV Land & Nick at Nite.

2 more simulcast Nick at Nite & Nick at Nite's TV Land events featuring "Ed Sullivan Show" episodes would be included on both channels, specifically Vote for TV Land, hosted by Pat Paulsen (who died several months later in April 1997 of Cancer at age 69), featuring political-themed episodes of TV Land regulars of the era as well as political "Retromercials" (for those reading who don't know, in its early days, TV Land didn't show regular commercials, but rather Classic Commercials, officially dubbed "Retromercials," from the 1950s to the 1980s; this practice stopped around 2006 I believe, maybe earlier).

Reruns of "The Ed Sullivan Show" appeared for the final time on Nick at Nite on April 29, 1997--again as part of a simulcast block airing that night on both Nick at Nite & TV Land called "TV Land's Really Big Shows," celebrating the 1-year anniversary of TV Land with select episodes of "The Ed Sullivan Show," "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour," "Saturday Night Live" and "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" among others appearing for the last time on Nick at Nite, as well as the Nick at Nite/TV Land debut of "The Flip Wilson Show" and the only airing on both channels of "The Dean Martin Show."

Presently, reruns of "The Ed Sullivan Show" are currently on the Decades channel; whether this will continue is unclear as of this writing.
stevearino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:59 AM   #2
LaBestia
Emmet Brickowski's Dear Friend
Forum Veteran

I wonder now that the Ed Sullivan Show is returning to METV they will show the episode with The Beatles American debut? That would be so cool
Bestie
Old 03-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Icon

YES !!! I was just coming here to start a thread about this ! So cool, Watching METV today, I just found out about Ed Sullivan coming soon to ME ! I'm especially really looking forward to The Doors ep. !
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia View Post
I wonder now that the Ed Sullivan Show is returning to METV they will show the episode with The Beatles American debut? That would be so cool
Bestie
Yeah, that will be a great episode ! I really hope they show it ! I'm sure they will !
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

Tons of musical appearances, all of these have been on the "Best of" series airing on the Decades channel -- and will be the same on MeTV:

5th Dimension
Animals
Association
Beach Boys
Beatles
Bill Haley / Comets
Bobby Darin
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Carpenters
Diana Ross / Supremes
Dionne Warwick
Doors
Elvis
Everly Brothers
Fabian
Four Tops
Gary Lewis / Playboys
Gerry / Pacemakers
Gladys Knight / Pips
Herb Alpert / Tijuana Brass
Herman's Hermits
Jackson 5
James Brown
Lovin' Spoonful
Mamas & the Papas
Nancy Sinatra
Petula Clark
Ricky Nelson
Righteous Brothers
Rolling Stones
Sammy Davis Jr.
Santana
Stevie Wonder
Temptations
Tommy James
Turtles
Who

... and lots more!
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
TeeVeeCloset

I cannot stand the "best of Ed Sullivan" series made nearly 20 years ago, extremely edited content, including edited 3 minute songs, made for syndication by sofa entertainment, I suggest if anyone wishes to see all the beatles unedited appearances with the original commercials they purchase the official apple sanctioned dvd's.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #7
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson View Post
Tons of musical appearances, all of these have been on the "Best of" series airing on the Decades channel -- and will be the same on MeTV:

5th Dimension
Animals
Association
Beach Boys
Beatles
Bill Haley / Comets
Bobby Darin
Buddy Holly
Byrds
Carpenters
Diana Ross / Supremes
Dionne Warwick