Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Bob Newhart Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Bob Newhart Show Photo Gallery

The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Bob Newhart Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
howilu

Default Bob Newhart was Adamant About No Kids

Throughout the run of The Bob Newhart Show, Bob and Emily were childless because Bob Newhart, a father of four in real life didn't want the show to be about the messes dad got himself into. When the ratings started to slip, the writers came up with a script that Emily would be pregnant. Newhart looked at the script and said "Who are you going to get to play the role of Bob?"

It showed he was very firm about his "No kids" policy and it showed even in his next sitcom Newhart.
howilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Mace Dolex

In a way that's was actually a good move since normally when an aging sitcoms starts to incoporate kids they're normally smart alecky brats acting cutesy on TV.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by howilu
Throughout the run of The Bob Newhart Show, Bob and Emily were childless because Bob Newhart, a father of four in real life didn't want the show to be about the messes dad got himself into. When the ratings started to slip, the writers came up with a script that Emily would be pregnant. Newhart looked at the script and said "Who are you going to get to play the role of Bob?"

It showed he was very firm about his "No kids" policy and it showed even in his next sitcom Newhart.

Yes, I agree it was good for the show he didn't. HOWEVER; Suzanne Pleshette told the poignant account of having been pregnant via her 2nd husband Tommy Gallagher during the first season of TBNS and Mr. Newhart actually saying he'd have the Hartleys become parents as soon as she gave birth. Sadly, the pregnancy didn't go fullterm and Miss Pleshette was to never become a mother but I thought it was cool of Mr. Newhart to be willing to bend had that been her fate (and NOT have her hide behind furniture, visit faroff kin or endure fat jokes until a miracle diet). It's interesting,too, that Miss Pleshette imagined that the latter day Newharts would have STILL been childless and not adopted the same way she wound up being but Emily (and Miss Pleshette) WERE able to be de facto mothers to their coworkers and younger folks in the business.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Bjjandtravel
Occasional Poster

^^^ I watched that interview with Pleshette. She was so egotistical (in the funniest way) that I wasn't surprised she endowed Emily with all her own traits. If she had wanted to be a mother she could have adopted like her costars Marcia Wallace and Bill Daily so I give her credit for realising that ultimately motherhood wasn't her calling. It's hard to stay rational and make that decision but as someone who worked with foster parents for 20 years I only wish more people would do the same. I thought it was great that a mainstream show like TBNS showed a happy couple who had formed their own family sans children. The biggest issue we had was couples who thought they had to have children come what may. When I would tell them they didn't actually need to be parents and that perhaps they would be happier if they didn't pursue adoption I think it was the first time any of them heard it. And this was the 90s so I'm sure it was a brave step for the network to put a child free couple on TV in the 70s.
Bjjandtravel is offline   Reply With Quote