Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

227 links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / 227 Photo Gallery


227 - The Complete First Season

Buy 227 - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > 227

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
GeorgiaboyJeff!
Member
Forum Regular
 
GeorgiaboyJeff!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 25, 2002
Posts: 660
Default Is it true about the Marla Gibbs & Jackee feud?

I remember people telling me that they would fight on the set alot of 227 & that Marla Gibbs didn't really care for Jackee?? Is this true?
GeorgiaboyJeff! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
seventies_sitcoms
*
Senior Member
 
seventies_sitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2005
Posts: 2,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaboyJeff!
I remember people telling me that they would fight on the set alot of 227 & that Marla Gibbs didn't really care for Jackee?? Is this true?
I don't know if it was really true, but I remember hearing that Jackee sort developed an overinflated attitude because the show was supposed to have been a hit because of her character and not Marla's. She must have been on some kind of high because she dropped the Harry from her name. To me that is always a symbol of arrogance when a star does that.
seventies_sitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
80sTrivia
Pop Culture Soothsayer
Forum Veteran
 
80sTrivia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2002
Location: Lake Dreamland
Posts: 13,502
Default

I seem to remember reading about a so-called feud between the two stars. Jackee was definitely a scene-stealer in 227, much like Marla's character of Florence was on The Jeffersons, so that probably got on Marla's nerves a bit. Jackee, at one point, was taping the now-defunct soap opera Another World in New York City and flying to LA on the weekends to tape 227. Normally, when you read about tensions on the set of a movie or television show, there's at least a small grain of truth in the stories...
80sTrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
jayman75
I Love the 80s!
Senior Member
 
jayman75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2000
Location: THE GREAT UNITED STATES
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via Yahoo to jayman75
Default

If there is a feud, I think it's long over. Marla and Jackee appeared on Lifetime's "Famous Sidekicks" special over a year ago, and seemed to get along very well.
__________________
A fan of quality, classic television comedies and holiday specials...

The Wonder Years, Burns and Allen, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Are You Being Served?,
Family Guy, South Park, Designing Women, The Golden Girls,
Dallas, The Facts of Life, Roseanne, Will and Grace,
The Twilight Zone, Original Scooby-Doo, Murphy Brown, The Big Bang Theory...

Talk to me about one of these shows, and I'm all yours...
jayman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
An 80s Guy
legen-wait for it-dary!
Senior Member
 
An 80s Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 03, 2005
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 1,862
Send a message via Yahoo to An 80s Guy
Default

yes but then again they're on TV they're not gonna act like they're feuding on TV Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams wouldn't do that eaither
An 80s Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
hatwink
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 720
Default

Jackee` always seemed to have this uppity air about her, so if they were feuding, it wouldn't surprise me.
hatwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwink
Jackee` always seemed to have this uppity air about her, so if they were feuding, it wouldn't surprise me.

If her spinoff had took off Jackee would have really been showing a*s-lol

Last edited by ThomasE; 08-12-2006 at 08:20 PM.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
GSU2004
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 734
Default

I also heard about the feud with Jackee and Marla Gibbs. Jackee did an interview with JET Magazine several years ago when Sister, Sister was starting to take off and she explained how time has humbled her. She did admit that her ego did grow on 227 and how she insisted that she was the real star (hence the drop in ratings in season five). She also talked about how 1990-1993 were hard years for her as nothing she did took off. The Royal Family that starred Redd Foxx ended in the middle of the first season after his death. She also filmed other pilots for potential shows but no one picked them up. She reported that she had a hard time accepting the role of the mother on Sister, Sister and she was glad that she did it.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU2004
I also heard about the feud with Jackee and Marla Gibbs. Jackee did an interview with JET Magazine several years ago when Sister, Sister was starting to take off and she explained how time has humbled her. She did admit that her ego did grow on 227 and how she insisted that she was the real star (hence the drop in ratings in season five). She also talked about how 1990-1993 were hard years for her as nothing she did took off. The Royal Family that starred Redd Foxx ended in the middle of the first season after his death. She also filmed other pilots for potential shows but no one picked them up. She reported that she had a hard time accepting the role of the mother on Sister, Sister and she was glad that she did it.


She was a cast member on Royal Family?-lol
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
GSU2004
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 28, 2005
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
She was a cast member on Royal Family?-lol
lol, she stood out like a sore thumb on that show. She came on the episode as a cousin who moved in after Redd Foxx died. I am not sure if she made cameos before his death on the show. I guess the producers were trying to rebrand and refocus the show.
GSU2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
JuicyCoutureGirl
L Hath No Fury
Forum Regular
 
JuicyCoutureGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2006
Location: Drinking Margaritas With The L Word Ladies at The Planet
Posts: 781
Default

To this very day Jackee has this big ego(even though she's my fave on the show).

Back in the day you couldn't tell her nothing(has anyone seen her on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous? I've seen an episode featuring her when I was little, yes, she was showing her a*s like she was the 80's Beyonce or something).

She was something else I can tell you that, if only twenty years ago if she had a crystal ball would she have been showing her a*s(celebrity fit club anyone?) Even on CFC, she thought she was hot **** but when Toccara really shined(i.e: younger and prettier) the green eyed monster kicked in.

And to think I actually wanted to be like her back then.

Last edited by ThomasE; 08-17-2006 at 09:47 PM.
JuicyCoutureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
TALLguyinKY
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by An 80s Guy
yes but then again they're on TV they're not gonna act like they're feuding on TV Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams wouldn't do that eaither
Well there's long been debate over a mysterious feud between Bea Arthur and Betty White (apparently more from Bea's corner) of "The Golden Girls", and if you think about it, you never see them together or really exchange many words at all. Yes, they're on specials and at events, but have you noticed that Rue is always between them? Hmmmmm? They're never side by side.

I dearly love "The Girls" and of course hope this is all coincidental speculation, but my point is that although there could sadly be some truth to that (sometimes I wonder if Bea was jealous of how popular Rose was and all the big laughs she got, although all the girls were brilliant with big laughs---but Dorothy's were more sarcastic and subtle than Rose's antics), in the "227" documentary with Alaina, Marla, and Jackee, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Marla and Jackee beside each other, and are pleasant and reminiscing throughout the piece? Things seemed fine there, but I haven't watched it in a long time...

And yeah, it's a shame that Jackee did get an ego, but I can kind of understand why---but at least Marla didn't go the route that Linda Lavin did on "Alice" concerning Polly Holliday!

Now if only we can get "227" season 2 to get to DVD!
TALLguyinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
JuicyCoutureGirl
L Hath No Fury
Forum Regular
 
JuicyCoutureGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2006
Location: Drinking Margaritas With The L Word Ladies at The Planet
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLguyinKY
Well there's long been debate over a mysterious feud between Bea Arthur and Betty White (apparently more from Bea's corner) of "The Golden Girls", and if you think about it, you never see them together or really exchange many words at all. Yes, they're on specials and at events, but have you noticed that Rue is always between them? Hmmmmm? They're never side by side.

I dearly love "The Girls" and of course hope this is all coincidental speculation, but my point is that although there could sadly be some truth to that (sometimes I wonder if Bea was jealous of how popular Rose was and all the big laughs she got, although all the girls were brilliant with big laughs---but Dorothy's were more sarcastic and subtle than Rose's antics), in the "227" documentary with Alaina, Marla, and Jackee, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Marla and Jackee beside each other, and are pleasant and reminiscing throughout the piece? Things seemed fine there, but I haven't watched it in a long time...

And yeah, it's a shame that Jackee did get an ego, but I can kind of understand why---but at least Marla didn't go the route that Linda Lavin did on "Alice" concerning Polly Holliday!

Now if only we can get "227" season 2 to get to DVD!

What happened with Linda and Polly?
JuicyCoutureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
TALLguyinKY
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 18, 2002
Posts: 1,437
Default

The bare bones of it is, Linda forced her out because of her (Linda's) ego.

Here are some quotes from the "Alice" board:

"She got her own spin off series and plus there was friction between her and Linda Lavin because people was saying that Flo was the star. If you look at the final episodes with Polly on Alice you can see there was a difference in the way Linda interacted with Polly on the show compared to the earlier episodes. Diane Ladd, the original Flo, replaced Polly as Belle and Linda did not get along with her as well. Midway through the middle of the following season, 5 that is, she asked off the show. Then Celia Weston came along and I guess she did not posed as a threat to Linda and stayed for the rest of the series. I'll tell you one thing the show was not as interesting after Polly left the show. I bet if her and Linda got along splindedly she would had came back to Alice after Flo failed."

"It is true. Linda Lavin HATED Polly Holliday. My uncle worked on Alice from 1977-1978. It was well-known that Lavin had tremendous resentment towards Holliday's success. Lavin felt the show was suppose to be all about her and with Holliday's success surpassing Lavin's, it was a bitter pill to have to swallow. It was rumored that instead of firing Holliday, which could have led to a lawsuit, they would spin the character off into her own show, "Flo". The series wasn't expected to last supposedly. It is a shame because Polly Holliday's talent is greatly missed by TV viewers."

from this thread: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=144288
TALLguyinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
Scoobiedoo30
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Scoobiedoo30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 27, 2002
Location: KENNER, LOUISIANA
Posts: 27,412
Default is it true about Marla Gibbs and Jackee Feud

I did not know that Marla and Kackee did not get along on 227
__________________
Who Dat
Scoobiedoo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.