Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Bob Newhart Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Bob Newhart Show Photo Gallery


The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - Season Five on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Bob Newhart Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
DJM77
Member
Senior Member
 
DJM77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 15, 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,082
Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Default Couple of questions about season 6.

I've just been catching bits and pieces of it for the first time recently.

Bob seems to be gone quite a bit. Why is that?

Did the Hartleys move or are we just supposed to believe that their apartment looked like that all along?
__________________
Marge: There are only 49 stars on that flag.
Abe: I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missouri!
DJM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
I've just been catching bits and pieces of it for the first time recently.

Bob seems to be gone quite a bit. Why is that?

Did the Hartleys move or are we just supposed to believe that their apartment looked like that all along?

It had something to do with him agreeing to only do a certain amount of episodes that season.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

OK, the reason you saw Bob missing in certain episodes was because the deal he made for season 6 was that he would sit out 5 of the 22 episodes for that season in order to return to the show that season.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan
Senior Member
 
biffbronson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2009
Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...
Posts: 3,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
Did the Hartleys move or are we just supposed to believe that their apartment looked like that all along?
No move that I recall.
There was an episode where the Hartleys get some wild new furniture, which Bob doesn't like -- in one scene, he and Emily are on a big thing where his feet don't reach the floor! But that stuff had to go too.

Unless I'm mistaken, it may have been at the same time when there was a remodel -- seen most notably in the kitchen set.

Not unusual for an apartment to get new decor after several years.
__________________
In memory of lovely Erin Moran 1960-2017 ~ Missing you

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
DJM77
Member
Senior Member
 
DJM77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 15, 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,082
Send a message via ICQ to DJM77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
No move that I recall.
There was an episode where the Hartleys get some wild new furniture, which Bob doesn't like -- in one scene, he and Emily are on a big thing where his feet don't reach the floor! But that stuff had to go too.

Unless I'm mistaken, it may have been at the same time when there was a remodel -- seen most notably in the kitchen set.

Not unusual for an apartment to get new decor after several years.
The kitchen was in a different spot than it was in the first 5 seasons.
DJM77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
The kitchen was in a different spot than it was in the first 5 seasons.

I don't remember seeing that. I guess I need to make the TBNS part of my daily lineup
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran
 
treky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2002
Location: Conshohocken, pennsylvania
Posts: 13,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
I've just been catching bits and pieces of it for the first time recently.

Bob seems to be gone quite a bit. Why is that?

Did the Hartleys move or are we just supposed to believe that their apartment looked like that all along?
Bob Newhart only agreed to come back if he could sit out a few episodes.

They moved to a different apt. but in the same building, because Bob wrote a book and they got enough money to afford it. (they moved 1 flight up)
__________________
the Clampetts are in a fancy Beverly Hills jewelry store. Granny points to a tray of rubies.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
Bob Newhart only agreed to come back if he could sit out a few episodes.

They moved to a different apt. but in the same building, because Bob wrote a book and they got enough money to afford it. (they moved 1 flight up)

Had no idea they moved to a new place
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Dianne3
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 07, 2002
Posts: 908
Default

Not only is the apartment different in season 6, Emily has a different look.

Going into season 6, Suzanne Pleshette would have turned 40.
We know today turning 40 is not as big of a deal, but back in 1977 it would have been a bigger deal.
What look SP had, she was a very attractive woman.
Dianne3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
CAJeannieFan57
Member
Forum Regular
 
CAJeannieFan57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 01, 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 852
Default

Yes, they moved up a flight to a different apartment. To distract us from the fact that Bob was gone more often, they decided a set-redesign would help keep the show up-to-date and relevant. Thus, "the move", and Howard was not thrilled with it at all!

I believe Bob's real-life wife, Ginny, was about to have another baby. He wanted to spend more time with her. So they managed a lot of episodes with him doing little cameo appearances from a phone -- his specialty anyway.


Donna
__________________
Donna
Webmaster, The Jeannie Sisters Website
http://www.jeanniesisters.com
An I Dream of Jeannie Fan Website
CAJeannieFan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJeannieFan57
Yes, they moved up a flight to a different apartment. To distract us from the fact that Bob was gone more often, they decided a set-redesign would help keep the show up-to-date and relevant. Thus, "the move", and Howard was not thrilled with it at all!

I believe Bob's real-life wife, Ginny, was about to have another baby. He wanted to spend more time with her. So they managed a lot of episodes with him doing little cameo appearances from a phone -- his specialty anyway.


Donna

Those 6 eps that had Bob missing from in season 6 didn't mean more HOWARD did it??
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
zypherix
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 14, 2003
Posts: 734
Default

More Howard, Jerry, Carol and Emily.
zypherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
PGood97041
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 743
Default

I just finished watching the whole series again after not having seen it since its original run, and while I was expecting Season 6 to suffer a bit from the lack of Bob in parts ... I was wrong!

The non-Bob episodes definitely were a bit different, obviously, but I thought they were good; the writing remained strong. Kudos, too, to Suzy for stepping up into the spotlight. She did a nice job, which was no surprise.

And the eps that Bob was in in Season 6? OMG, some of the funniest stuff in the whole series! Some of the Mr. Carlin scenes were just priceless.

That said, I also think they picked the perfect time to wrap things up overall, as I believe they had squeezed about as much as they could out of every character. To me, the decision to pull the plug at the right time was just another example of Bob Newhart's excellent "comic timing".

What a great show!
PGood97041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGood97041
I just finished watching the whole series again after not having seen it since its original run, and while I was expecting Season 6 to suffer a bit from the lack of Bob in parts ... I was wrong!

The non-Bob episodes definitely were a bit different, obviously, but I thought they were good; the writing remained strong. Kudos, too, to Suzy for stepping up into the spotlight. She did a nice job, which was no surprise.

And the eps that Bob was in in Season 6? OMG, some of the funniest stuff in the whole series! Some of the Mr. Carlin scenes were just priceless.

That said, I also think they picked the perfect time to wrap things up overall, as I believe they had squeezed about as much as they could out of every character. To me, the decision to pull the plug at the right time was just another example of Bob Newhart's excellent "comic timing".

What a great show!

Yes it was, very funny in a relaxing way
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran
 
treky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2002
Location: Conshohocken, pennsylvania
Posts: 13,451
Default

yes, I think that last season was the best one.
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.