Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal
Freeform Celebrates 30 Days of Disney in September; A-List Stars Visit Fox's Animation Domination This Fall
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 12, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
dave insinga
Forum Regular

Lightbulb in the last episode or PASSAGES pt1

the opening scene at arnolds both joannie,her date tony,and chachi and his date judy, have shirts on that say the kinks tour 1966.you really can't make sence of the years because even when fonzie(in the same episode)is telling mr and mrs.c about adopting danny he says for the last 6 years he'd been watching the king of dads.. if you do the math fonzie moved in the 3rd season this was the eleventh season so in actuality it would have been the last eight years.
dave insinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluthree
My favorite 2 episodes from Happy Days later years was when Richie and Ralph came home from the army.I loved that scene when there all singing Blueberry Hill around the piano.It was a great moment and with Richie and Ralph back it was like the show I loved again.But then Ralph left for Eye Doctor school and Richie packed his bags and took off for Hollywood.I tuned out after that and did not watch again untill the final episode.
I also did not like how Richie and Lori Beth got married over a telephone-Who ever heard of getting married over a telephone? I think what they should of done was when Ron and Donny said they where both leaving they should of ended the show with Richie and Lori Beth getting married.
And a real wedding too, unlike the stupid wedding they had on the show. I had a feeling that Fonzie filled in for Richie in other post-nuptual things, if ya know what I mean. It was stupid -they had to have the wedding with Fonzie as a proxy, but then, she could go off to Greenland while he got leave to do the honeymoon?? Why not just get married on the base in Greenland?? It was Greenland where he went, right??

BTW, there was no draft around the time Richie and Ralph were "drafted."

Yeah, those episodes you mentioned are the only ones worth watching from the later years. And mainly, because the old firm is back together (Fonzie, Richie, Potsie, Ralph) for one last time.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Why not just get married on the base in Greenland??
Only wives were allowed to visit the base in Greenland. Lori Beth couldn't visit the base until she and Richie were married.

Quote:
BTW, there was no draft around the time Richie and Ralph were "drafted."
I don't believe it was ever clearly stated how they ended up in the army. They probably enlisted.
anglemark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
Only wives were allowed to visit the base in Greenland. Lori Beth couldn't visit the base until she and Richie were married.

I don't believe it was ever clearly stated how they ended up in the army. They probably enlisted.
As I recall, there was a reference to both being drafted in the season premiere. At any rate, like I said, if you go back to that time period, there was no draft as we weren't at war. There was the "cold war," but no draft.
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #20
Avilos
Frequent Poster

There was DEFINITELY a draft in the early 60s. Famously even Elvis Presley was drafted into the Army!

Interestingly in the 10th season episode "I'm Not at Liberty" Fonzie mistakenly is summons to duty as member of the Army Reserves. THe Fonz reveals that he tried to enlisted following the Cuban Missile Crisis. (Which happened in 1962) But he was rejected because of his bad knee. Which of course he injured way back in "Fearless Fonzerelli".

Remember that Richie, Potise and Ralph were all in ROTC. Plus all 3 and Fonzie had to take Army Physicals in the 4th season episode called ..... "The Physical". So they were all registered with the Draft. Richie and Ralph must of joined when they graduated from College. While as "I'm Not at Liberty" revealed Potsie was in the Army Reserves. Probably because he was studying Psychology. Which takes more years of study. By being in the Reserves he only had to report for occasional weekend duty but for a longer commitment of time.

Crazy idea...I planning on creating a time line of the show. There are inconsistencies but the dates holdup better than most realize.

The dates were most inconsistent in the very early seasons. When they had not decided how old the characters yet. The period details, clothing, music, are the worst in the middle years of the show. Mostly when Richie was in College. They stopped making references to the time period. Because they did not seem sure of what to do about the early 60s.

But by the last few seasons they seemed to be more aware of making 60s references again. Just a few examples - In the 10th season episode "Babysitting" Fonzie watches the first heavyweight championship fight between Clay Cassius and Sonny Liston on television. This boxing match occurred on February 25, 1964. In the first part of the series finale "Passages" Joanie and Chachi are wearing t-shirts that say "The Kinks - Summer 1965 Tour".

Also Joanie and Chachi appear on Hootenanny during the 10th season. This was a real show that featured Folk musicians. I was surprised. THis show was on exactly when Happy Days said it was, when Folk Music was first coming popular, in 1963-1964.

At some point later in the series the writers seem to have started using the second season episode "The Not Making of the President", which revolves around the 1956 presidential election, as to when the show took place.

Last edited by Avilos; 10-21-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
anglemark10
Forum Regular

I think a timeline would be a great thing to do. If I had the time and patience, I'd go through every episode and make note of every period and date reference. Unfortunately, I have neither.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #22
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I don't believe there was a draft in the late '50s / early '60s. We were no longer at war - although the "cold war" was ongoing - and there was no need for one.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure there was no draft during that time period. It was just a convenient contrivance to explain the absence of Richie and Ralph after Ron Howard and Donny Most left the show.

Happy Days took liberties with the time period, the most egregious example being the clothing and hair that the characters had during the later seasons. Chachi wore a jeans jacket and feathered shag haircut, while Joanie had a frizzy '80s perm.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
I think a timeline would be a great thing to do. If I had the time and patience, I'd go through every episode and make note of every period and date reference. Unfortunately, I have neither.
I think if you did so, you'd come up with numerous discrepancies and things that contradicted each other. Shows that are "period pieces" tend to have them as writers move on and newer writers are unaware of what happened before they came on board.

M*A*S*H is a prime example of this: There are all sorts of goofs regarding time periods and various happenings.

Bottom line, they're just shows. Enjoy them and don't analyze them too much.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #24
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

I think that the majority, if not all, of the time and date references on the show have been mentioned on the boards here; you could probably put together a pretty reasonable timeline from that and fill in the blanks as you go.

the main problem (ignoring any goofs or period errors) is that there always seemed to be an elasticity to the passage of time on the show; the first three or four seasons seem to have spanned only a year or two, whereas other seasons could possibly cover a couple of years.

I think you could put together a basic time outline, but as they never intended the show to follow a strict time schedule there will always be some parts that don't fit or make sense.
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #25
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
I think if you did so, you'd come up with numerous discrepancies and things that contradicted each other.
Oh, I know I would. That would be part of the fun, though - to sort through all of that.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #26
Avilos
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Oh, I know I would. That would be part of the fun, though - to sort through all of that.
Exactly! Its all for fun. The mistakes would be referenced too. My local channel METV ( out of MILWAUKEE!!!) is airing the show numerous times a day from different seasons. I have been digitally recording the shows and watching them every day. I have been on a big Happy Days kick since I met the cast at the Fonz statue unveiling. Some of the episodes I have not seen in manyyears, some I have never seen at all. I think the later seasons are better than most people give credit.

I have been taking mental notes of the date references which I could add to those online. When I get a chance I will do a rough outline. That way people could add new info when they know it.

Not to get into a fight. BUT THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY A DRAFT IN THE EARLY 50s AND LATE 60s!!!! Do some research.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #27
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Number one on the hit parade would be how Howard makes references to his "two" children in the final episode.

I still say it would have been great to have Chuck interrupt the toast and freeze frame on the shocked expressions of everyone as they realize he's back. And then, "The End."
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #28
Avilos
Frequent Poster

I surprised they did not simply say retroactively change Chuck's relation to the others. That Chuck Cunningham was Howard's nephew. Maybe something happened to his parents. So Howard and Marion decided to raise hi,. But it when it happened he was too old to really see them as his parents. So When he graduated from college he lost touch with the rest of the family. So Richie and Joanie are their only biological children.

Last edited by Avilos; 10-22-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #29
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

I'd go with Wreckless' explanation best.

Trying to say that Chuck was a nephew is kind of silly. I'd almost rather they just don't acknowledge him at all rather than make something like that up