Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
bluthree
Forum Regular

Default The Happy Days years

Ok.What years did Happy Days take place? I know it was the 50's but when in the 50's? I assume by the Third season that Happy Days was already in the 60's because in the the 3rd season episode where Fonzie sings,Marion,Howard,and Shortcake was on there way to the movies to see Psycho and Psycho came out in 1960. And I do believe there was a latter episode where Howard was watching Gilligans Island and of course Gilligans Island is a 60's show.
bluthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Well, generally the show began in the 50's and the show ended while in the 60's, however there were many times when things were shown or mentioned that were out of place. I have a thread abt this where I mentioned items such as the pinball machine that are shown that didn't come out until the 60's, but here they were being shown in a show set in the 50's. So, as for what years the show was set in, you just have to say generally it started out the 50's and closed out set in the 60's. You are correct when it came to goofs like the one you mentioned above, the characters mentioned or stated things that were errors.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
bluthree
Forum Regular

I also notise in the episode when Fonzie sings that one of the girls at Arnolds appears to be wearing 70 clothes? It looks like shes wearing Bell Buttoms? I dont think Bell Buttoms was around yet in the 50's and early 60's? Yeah I just watched the episode on DVD.It's a pretty good episode.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluthree
I also notise in the episode when Fonzie sings that one of the girls at Arnolds appears to be wearing 70 clothes? It looks like shes wearing Bell Buttoms? I dont think Bell Buttoms was around yet in the 50's and early 60's? Yeah I just watched the episode on DVD.It's a pretty good episode.
Yeah, that is what made me start to get irritated with HD, the lack of staying with the time period. The Chachi character wore jeans that were not available from that era and the style in which he wore them were not that era either.

You will see many references to the 70's via hair, clothes, shoes, etc. simply because it was the 70's when HD's was filmed.
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
bluthree
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
Yeah, that is what made me start to get irritated with HD, the lack of staying with the time period. The Chachi character wore jeans that were not available from that era and the style in which he wore them were not that era either.

You will see many references to the 70's via hair, clothes, shoes, etc. simply because it was the 70's when HD's was filmed.
Yeah by the last season the show totaly lost the 50's and 60's feel. The last season was more 80's then oldies. I always thought the best years of Happy Days was when Ron Howard was there.After Ron left the show was no where near as good. The magic was gone. There was a few good episodes but not many.There was alot of dumb ones from that period.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Although there are some dates that are contradictory, I've determined that it was 1955 when the series began and 1965 when the series ended. The main date I base this on is shown in the "Home Movies" episodes where Joanie holds up a sign that says "Summer 1962."
anglemark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
spreckenzeedeu
form.known.as iris*happydays
Forum Regular

Yeah, there were little Goofs here and there.

But talking from the Episodes:
> At the End of "Christmas Time" (S6) you'll see the Note *1960*
> "King Richard's Big Night" (S7) has a *1961* Sign
> And in "Ralph's Family Problem" (S7) they look for the Girl of *1961*
spreckenzeedeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
Jude The Obscure
Retired

Also time on the show was like a year for every two seasons, because in the penultimate episode, Howard and Marion clearly state that they have known Fonzie for SIX years (and the show ran for ELEVEN seasons).
Jude The Obscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal

I remember, my sister and I used to get irrated over all that, too.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Ok.What years did Happy Days take place? I know it was the 50's but when in the 50's? I assume by the Third season that Happy Days was already in the 60's because in the the 3rd season episode where Fonzie sings,Marion,Howard,and Shortcake was on there way to the movies to see Psycho and Psycho came out in 1960. And I do believe there was a latter episode where Howard was watching Gilligans Island and of course Gilligans Island is a 60's show.
well; I remember in 79 or 80; they had an episode where Arnolds burned down, and I remember reading somewhere at the time that they did that so they could replace it with "a typical fast food joint from the early 60s".
And I remember that same season, or maybe the season after that, there was a Christmas episode and someone took a picture of the Cunninghams at the very end. Then they showed a pair of hands putting it in a photo album, and under it was writen CHRISTMAS 1961.
Also, I remember seeing a later episode once, where Fonzie mentioned that John F. Kennedy was the president.
treky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
bluthree
Forum Regular

I remember watching a rerun of the final episode of Happy Days with a couple of my friends once.And one of my friends commented how easy it was for Fonzie to addopt a child.Because we knew someone in real life that wanted to addopt a child and he had problems doing so due to the fact his wife had health problems.They tryed so hard but they kept getting rufused.So they then ended up giving up.
Well anyways I always believed the Happy Days years was from 1954-1964.But there was so many comments threw out the shows run that would say other wise.Like The family going to see Psycho. And yes of course the clothes that some people wore on the show.It was like people just walked on the set of Arnolds wearing there street clothes and was told to stay,and dont worry about changing you're clothes as I dont think people would notise,but they did.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

One of the early episodes - it was either the first or second season - Richie participates in Adlai Stevenson's presidential campaign, which I believe was in 1956.

So let's say for the sake of argument, the show begins around 1955-56.

In the seventh season, right before Arnold's burns down, Potsie suggests having President Kennedy come down and dance with the girls to save Al's sagging business. So by then, it had to be late 1961 at the very least.

Of course, we all know that Happy Days began in 1956 and ended in...1984. You don't believe me?? Check out the period detail in the first season and the complete lack of it in season eleven. They stopped caring by then...and so did I.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
bluthree
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
One of the early episodes - it was either the first or second season - Richie participates in Adlai Stevenson's presidential campaign, which I believe was in 1956.

So let's say for the sake of argument, the show begins around 1955-56.

In the seventh season, right before Arnold's burns down, Potsie suggests having President Kennedy come down and dance with the girls to save Al's sagging business. So by then, it had to be late 1961 at the very least.

Of course, we all know that Happy Days began in 1956 and ended in...1984. You don't believe me?? Check out the period detail in the first season and the complete lack of it in season eleven. They stopped caring by then...and so did I.
I stopped caring when Richie and Ralph left.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
I stopped caring when Richie and Ralph left.
As did many, myself included. I think many here would agree with you.
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
bluthree
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
As did many, myself included. I think many here would agree with you.
My favorite 2 episodes from Happy Days later years was when Richie and Ralph came home from the army.I loved that scene when there all singing Blueberry Hill around the piano.It was a great moment and with Richie and Ralph back it was like the show I loved again.But then Ralph left for Eye Doctor school and Richie packed his bags and took off for Hollywood.I tuned out after that and did not watch again untill the final episode.
I also did not like how Richie and Lori Beth got married over a telephone-Who ever heard of getting married over a telephone? I think what they should of done was when Ron and Donny said they where both leaving they should of ended the show with Richie and Lori Beth getting married.