Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Maude links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Maude Photo Gallery

Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Sony) DVD
Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek)

Buy Maude - The Complete First Season (Mill Creek) DVD
Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Second Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Third Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Fourth Season (Shout! Factory) DVD
Maude - The Complete Series (Shout! Factory)

Buy Maude - The Complete Series on DVD
(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Maude

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #91
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

The show just didn't allow to escape reality because it was too topical

Not a show with FUN TOPICS which is why it didn't last on Antenna TV
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #92
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Forum Veteran

Antenna still airs Maude.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #93
thebigcookie

KTXD 47, an independent station in Dallas was airing Maude recently, but I see they've replaced it with Coach, but they kept All in the Family and The Jeffersons which followed it. They also have the Addams Family, the Munsters, MASH, and Who's the Boss.
thebigcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #94
PracTz

IMO,

Between the show being SO topical that one had to live through the 70's (and be armed with 1970's search engine) to get a good number of the jokes AND with all the adult characters (except Florida) constantly getting looped, in retrospect it's a bit of a challenge to keep going back to it- despite the many good performances here. I guess back in the 70's everyone thought most folks could 'handle' getting looped on a regular basis and it's odd that any character on that show would have been surprised that Walter (or anyone else) would become a full-scale alcoholic. Also, apart from making Carol a more sympathetic character via being a working parent, I don't see why they had Phillip who seemed to spend his entire childhood upstairs while the adults were screaming their heads off.

1. Too 70's (which Miss Arthur herself would recognize and insist on keeping "GG" as UNtopical as possible )
2.Too boozy
3. Negligent parenting

That's three strikes against current popularity.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #95
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

All excellent points above. Though I still enjoy this show because of the great, talented actors--Bea Arthur, Bill Macy, Rue McClanahan and Conrad Bain. Also Esther Rolle and Hermione Baddeley. True talent there and always fun to watch.
MichaelKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #96
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I think Maude was better as a Original Airing show because of the shock value and topics.

Not the type of show you can fall back on the couch with a snack and watch like the shows below

sanford and son
alice
Jeffersons
What's happening
Bob Newhart
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #97
tlc38tlc38
Every dayís a Dolly day!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKeith
All excellent points above. Though I still enjoy this show because of the great, talented actors--Bea Arthur, Bill Macy, Rue McClanahan and Conrad Bain. Also Esther Rolle and Hermione Baddeley. True talent there and always fun to watch.
Yes...awesome actors! I enjoy the show, too.

However, I couldn't do more than 3 or 4 episodes at a time but this could also be said for a lot of other shows.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #98
TMC
Forum Celebrity

What I got from MovieChat.org:

1. Of all the Normal Lear shows, this one has aged the poorest. Even though some of the issues it dealt with are still being argued, its style and perspective is so 40 years ago that it doesn't transcend its era to feel timeless, the same way All In the Family or The Jeffersons did.

2. As someone else said, the Maude character is the only impressive one there (and she has a tendency of being too over the top.) The rest of them were a bit on the drab side. More argumentative than funny. Furthermore, they all look very middle-of-the-road "70s," like they could have been extra's in Deep Throat, or something.

3. Three of its biggest stars went on to have arguably bigger, and more career-identifying, success with following shows. All of which feel more "contemporary" by today's standards. Most of the general public seems to identify Bea and Rue as Dorothy and Blanche, and Conrad as Mr. Drummond. Seeing them as Maude, Vivian and Arthur seems weird. And since Golden Girls/Diff'rent Strokes have done very well in syndication, I can imagine that TV stations would probably rather just buy those shows than this one.

4. The abortion episodes. Bea once said in an interview that Maude's abortion created a backlash against the show. Sure, Maude was popular during its production run, but once the show ended, the show seemed to become defined by that particular storyline - which scared off many TV stations in the more conservative 1980s from buying it. Meanwhile, during that same period, again, GG and DS were on and popular. This just sort of buried Maude.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #99
TMC
Forum Celebrity

30 second promo for an episode of Maude on Channel 51 San Diego, CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsswjnAQPJk
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote