Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Soap links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Soap Photo Gallery

Soap - The Complete First Season

Buy Soap - The Complete First Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Second Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Third Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Soap - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series

Buy Soap - The Complete Series on DVD
Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Soap - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Soap

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 26, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Developing Serendipity Series; Designing Women Making Streaming Media Debut
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: ABC; Antenna TV Acquires The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Who's the Boss? and More
Dancing with the Stars Cast for Season 28; Lilly Singh Gets NBC Primetime Special
Decades Celebrates Bob Newhart's 90th Birthday with Big Marathon; Wanda Sykes & Mike Epps Get Netflix Sitcom
James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #16
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

The other problems were never resolved, how could Jessica's family have saved her when all their lives were in danger. Mary and Jessica were not speaking to each other. What I remember is.............

Danny was going to kill Chester because, he found out that Chester was his real father. Jody thought he was an old Jewish man, he lost custody of Wendy. Corinne left the show after Dutch chose Eunice. I forgot what happened to Billy, and Burt. I suppose Saunders and the Major could have rescued Jessica.

I do hope I get season 4 for Christmas.
comedyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Mary and Jessica made up a few episodes before Jessica's kidnapping. Mary and Burt were having problems. The rest of the family(except Corrine) were making plans to rescue Jess from the revolutionaries.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #18
TJAMES03
Frequent Poster

I haven't seen the last episode in a long time, but I don't think that Mary or Jodie were in it. Unless the original episode airing was a one hour special and the sydication cut it into two seperate episodes and they were in the first half-hour. Am I wrong here?
TJAMES03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #19
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Mary and Jessica made up a few episodes before Jessica's kidnapping. Mary and Burt were having problems. The rest of the family(except Corrine) were making plans to rescue Jess from the revolutionaries.
I have just started watching the 4th season, Mary and Jessica are not mad at each other yet. Jessica just went to Maragway for a vacation, she is being held by El Puerco and Billy has left home to go look for her. Mary is supporting Burt, who is being blackmailed and has been exposed by the ruthless Tibbs. Eunice married Dutch and Chester fell for Eunice's maid of honor, they're living together in the pool house. Tonight I'll start watching disc 2.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
ALEX33016
Occasional Poster

Angry

I am so disappointed that in the season 4 DVD didn't have a resolution such as an interview with writer's or creator's that would resolve all the storylines. We need to get a hold of Susan Harris.

But in my ending, Jessica gets saved by her family but in the rescue gets shot and is in a coma (which would explain the Benson episode which the character was in), she meets a Voodoo priestess over there in Latin America, who gets her out of the coma and then cures the Tates and Campbells of the family curse they have on them. I don't think the last ep should be a cliffhanger but the sisters should live happily ever after, who deserves it more than Jess and Mary!
ALEX33016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

That would have been nice. One thing confuses me though, the part about Jessica being on Benson. I always thought that when she appeared on Benson it was before the 4th season opener.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #22
ALEX33016
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
That would have been nice. One thing confuses me though, the part about Jessica being on Benson. I always thought that when she appeared on Benson it was before the 4th season opener.
No she appeared on after Soap was over.
ALEX33016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #23
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

One poster said that the guns could have been loaded with blanks, which would make sense given that they weren't the smartest banditos in the world or that they couldn't bring themselves to kill her.

But what I think is that they fired the guns, intentionally missing Jessica. The sound and the shock of the gunshots made Jessica close her eyes and wince. Anyone would.

Or...she would have been shot and then pulled off one of those miraculous recoveries that TV characters are known for.

Had Soap returned, Jessica would have lived, I'm sure. She'd cheated death before. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #24
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

I just finished watching Season 4 and I would hope El Puerco arrived in time to save Jess. Burt's predicament would be harder to get out of, as well as Chester who was threatening to kill Danny and Annie.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #25
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedyfreak
I just finished watching Season 4 and I would hope El Puerco arrived in time to save Jess. Burt's predicament would be harder to get out of, as well as Chester who was threatening to kill Danny and Annie.
I remember talking to my high school librarian about the end of Soap a couple of years after the finale and she felt the show ended very negatively. Can't say I disagree with her.

I found these "episode notes" about the finale on TV.com. I don't know where the info was sourced from, but I thought it warranted being posted. I know some of this stuff has already been covered, but...

Episode Notes
It was revealed on a talk show that had Soap not been cancelled, Jessica would have survived because her family arrived to save her and put blanks in all the guns. Still, ending the show with no real resolution except for the hokey appearance later on "Benson" was the ultimate insult to the shows fans. Why couldn't they at least do a TV movie to wrap up the story lines (as Dallas and Dynasty did when they were cancelled but left us with unresolved cliffhangers)? (Edit)

For its fourth and final season, "Soap" earned four major Emmy nominations: Best Comedy Series, Best Actress (Cathryn Damon and Katherine Helmond), and Best Actor (Richard Mulligan). (Edit)

"Soap's" sudden cancellation left fans wanting resolution to this episode's cliffhangers. All they got was a single murky, disappointing episode of "Benson" (Episode 93, "God, I Need This Job") featuring Katherine Helmond as an other-worldly Jessica, who explains to Benson that she may or may not be dead somewhere in South America. (Edit)

Susan Harris reportedly was furious that ABC pulled the plug on "Soap" despite still-respectable ratings. Rumors flew that ABC couldn't bear the heat from skittish advertisers. However, "Soap" had ceased being controversial by Season Two. Reports have circulated for years that Harris had already plotted Season Five and had planned to get the show back on track after stepping away from it in Year Four. But it wasn't meant to be, and "Soap" went out with a bang (literally) and left audiences with questions that would NOT be answered in the next episode of "Soap."

Meanwhile, Harris managed to overcome her bitterness towards ABC. She went on to create "It Takes Two" for ABC in 1982, "Hail to the Chief" in 1985, "Good & Evil" in 1991, and "The Secret Lives of Men" in 1998. All four shows flopped. Perhaps she got her revenge by doing her best work ("Golden Girls," "Empty Nest") at rival network NBC? (Edit)
Dr. Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 AM   #26
comedyfreak
Cheers!
Forum Veteran

That was very interesting, too bad she didn't plan a coup and take Soap to NBC. What got me was the announcer Rod Roddy said all these questions will be answered on the next episode of Soap. Next thing you know it's not coming back.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #27
BensonFan
Board Psychologist

I just assumed from the Benson episode that she died, since she told Benson she had been to Heaven and had to do a good deed on Earth to get her wings. This doesn't sound like someone who is just in a coma.

Now can we get started on Season 3 plans?
BensonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #28
sensin
Occasional Poster

So, is there a way that we can start a petition to have them produce a reunion (can you imagin, almost 30 years after the debut?), or perhaps get in touch with Harris and maybe she can just tell everyone what this supposed outline is. I've been wondering this ever since I saw the show on Comedy Central.
sensin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #29
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

I know that I'm in the minority - but I liked El Puerco. Of course, I'm very biased because he was played by Gregory Sierra (). I would've resolved the plot by having Jessica and El marry - it would've been the perfect revenge against Chester for all his years of fooling around and fathering a baby with her own sister!! I also think it would've been a kick if Jessica and El had a baby - Mary had a late in life pregnancy, so why couldn't Jess? That REALLY would've made Chester's blood boil!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
Prince Michael
Forum Regular

Cool

I remember the episode of Benson that featured Jessica Tate . On Benson, Benson worked for Governor Gatling, a man who had some influence . To my memory, on that episode of Benson, Governor Gatling had been trying to get Jessica's body returned to the United States, Benson and Governor Gatling were talking about Jessica Tate, and Governor Gatling said "They still won't release the body !" . A few minutes later, Jessica appeared and explained to Benson, "I need to do a good deed before I can get into Heaven !" . I think their should have been a special movie that tied up all the loose ends .

Voodoo priestess who finds out there's a curse on Jessica and Mary's family and gets rid of it sounds like a good idea . Short of a statement from the former writers of Soap, the best we can hope for is to work things out in our own minds that the events of Soap's last episode worked out, and the Tates and Campbells lived happily ever after .
Prince Michael is offline   Reply With Quote