Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

HBO Max Gets Animated with Royals Comedy; Netflix Announces Premiere Date for Sophia Lillis Comedy
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Hulu - a Comedy with Steve Martin and Martin Short, the Renewal of Dollface
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: More Cable; 26th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards® Winners
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 20, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Punky Brewster Reboot Officially a Go; Freeform Renews Pair of Series
Fri-Yay: Sitcoms in 2020; Peacock Streaming Services Programming Update
TCA Winter 2020 Press Tour: Cable Day 2 - American Dad! 2 Season Renewal, Tacoma FD Season 2 Premiere Date

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One

11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) (Blu-ray)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/06 - 9JKL - The Complete Series
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Atlanta - Season 2 - Robbin' Season
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
12/17 - Hogan's Heroes - The Complete Series (2019 Release)
12/17 - The Other Two - Season 1
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #16
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey Deb,

I have another question to ask you. You said you can edit the episodes. I was wondering...... I have sets of episodes with commercals. If I got the one with the hard drive. To edit out the commercals, once I have down loaded the episodes onto the drive could I fastforward to the commercals and cut them out? Or do I have to sit there and watch it until the commercals come on and pause it til it is over then continue on.

The reason I ask is my sets I own I have watched sooo many times and it would be great to NOT have to sit though them again.lol I want to burn them so I will never lose them and clean up the set without commercals. I'm just not up to par on the DVD recorder units.

Also with the Hard drive can you burn a set on fast forward or in other words a quick copier or does it record or burn in real time?

Thanks
tsmiller
Old 04-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #17
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

Editing commercials is one of the things I love about the hard drive. You have to select "Shorten segment" to edit them out, and you can fast forward to the starting point, mark the beginning (and if you change your mind about where to begin, you can do that, too, until you actually select the "erase segment" option), fast forward to the end point, mark that, and then select to erase the segment you've marked. I've found even some of the older programs I have where I did remove commercials, but not elegantly, I've been able to clean up those edits even further going to DVD. This is what I always wanted edited out commercials to be, so I'm very, very happy with the function.

To burn at high speed (the Panasonic does 2x only to DVD-R discs - there may be a firmware upgrade at some point to take it higher), you have to burn at the same speed you recorded the programs. I record at SP to maximize quality, so all my DVD-Rs are done at SP. There may come a day when my Beta deck no longer works, so I don't want my disc backups to be of lesser quality than the original tapes.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #18
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Agent 13,

Does your DR 50 do that?

tsmiller70

Sorry about all the questions. But, I want to get the unit that would best serve me. Also you can tell I'm pretty dumb and this stuff.lol

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 AM   #19
Agent 13

tsmiller70,

If you think you're dumb... what am I? LOL (My husband is the brain in the electronic department at our house. Without him I couldn't even copy one video to another. )

No, my DMR-E50 doesn't edit commercials. Mine is like a glorified VCR. It'd be nice to be able to edit out the commercials when there are advertisements for racy shows/items. However, since we collect really old shows, most of the time the morals in commercials reflect the morals of the show they're promoting.

Last edited by Agent 13; 04-14-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:20 PM   #20
RoseNylund
Back in St. Olaf...
Frequent Poster

OK, all of this talk got me shopping for one, and I just bought my Panasonic DMR-E50. I can't wait to start using it. My question is this:

Does anyone have a TiVo already connected. I am trying to figure out how to hook up my DVD player, that would work with my TiVo and also my VCR. If anyone out there could help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

PS. I got mine at Circut City. They had an open box one for only $259.00! They do have new in box ones on clearance for only $308.00, so if shopping, you might want to check that out.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #21
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey,

ok, I did it. I just bought the DMR-E80H. I got it for the easy editing. I paid $511.30

I hope that was a good price.(If not then I guess it was my bad)lol

It is being shiped and will be here Wed. Oh boy, I can't wait! I sound like a kid with a new toy. I hope I made the right choice. It was alot more than I wanted to spend. But, I just don't want to regret it later on. So, I have to bite the bullet for a little while.

debwalsh,

What kind and name brand DVD blanks do you use? Also where do you buy them?

thanks for all the help guys!

tsmiller70
Old 04-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #22
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I prefer the Maxells. The friend who recommended the E80 to me uses the CompUSA brand almost religiously. I experimented for a few weeks with different brands until I found one I liked and that would play well on most of the DVD players in the family. Finding the media proved more difficult - WalMart carries DVD-Rs and DVD-RAMs in my area and I tend to buy there a lot. CompUSA carries some brands. A lot of folks who do a lot of burning use Ritek and Princo - I got a few of those, and most of them ended up as coasters - unburnable, shut the unit down with an error when I tried to copy to them.

An online retailer I've ordered discs from is www.efunctional.com. They've got good prices, but I think their shipping may be a bit high.

Key thing to remember is to edit commercials out, you want to "shorten segment." Allow yourself some time to play around, check out the reviews and comments on the unit at www.vcdhelp.com, and be patient. The manual is not intuitive, but having read a lot of the comments at vcdhelp.com before I got mine, I didn't have a lot of problems. I'm still learning how to make it work best for me as I go.

I think I paid $499 for mine from Amazon.com, but they don't offer it at that price any more.

Good luck with the new baby!
Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #23
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey,

OH BOY!!! Its here! Just got it today and now I need to go get some blank DVDs.

What kind should I get? I'm going to Wal-mart to see if they carry Maxwell. Also do I need DVD-R or DVD+R or DVD-RAM. What in the world is the differance? Also do they all work on this unit?

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #24
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

You can only use DVD-R discs or DVD-RAM discs. DVD-R discs must be finalized before you can play them in another machine. DVD-RAM discs can be played in some computer DVD-ROM drives, but not other DVD players. They are re-recordable.

The manual isn't brilliant, but you will probably find it answers a lot of your questions. I strongly recommend you check out www.vcdhelp.com and look at the posts regarding the unit - I learned a great deal by reading there, and managed to bypass a lot of frustration as a result. Do your homework first.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #25
Agent 13

tsmiller70,

You will be using DVD-R with your recorder. DVD-RAM is too expensive to use for building your DVD library and/or trading purposes. Each RAM is designed to be used 100,000 times, sort of like you'd reuse a VHS tape though you actually erase the stuff on the RAM by the click of a button. DVD-Rs are not erasable, so give yourself a few discs to figure out the machine or else use the RAM to practice on.

I have a Panasonic DVD player that plays DVD-RAM, by the way, but generally, I can't see a reason for your needing to use it since you have a hard drive.

I hope this helps. It won't be long and you'll be an expert... trust me.

Last edited by Agent 13; 04-21-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:20 PM   #26
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

So, what is the differance between a DVD-R or DVD+R?
Old 04-22-2004, 05:52 AM   #27
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmiller70
So, what is the differance between a DVD-R or DVD+R?
I'm not exactly sure, though most DVD players cannot play DVD+R.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:03 AM   #28
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

DVD-R is recognized as a standard by the DVD Forum. DVD+R is another standard developed by certain manufacturers, and it is not recognized by the DVD Forum. The DVD Forum sets the industry standards.

It's like Beta vs. VHS in some ways. Not all machines can play both, there are a handful of machines that can record both. Panasonic supports DVD-R. I think it's Philips that is pushing the DVD+R. There is also a DVR-R/W and a DVD+R/W, which is not the same thing. I'm really not sure where they fit in, but the E80 is not designed to use R/W discs.

WalMart and CompUSA carry DVD-Rs by several different manufacturers. My local WalMart carries Maxell DVD-RAM discs (no cartridge) for just a little more than an average DVD-R.

I did learn recently that Maxell's new 4X DVD-R discs will work in the E80, but not at 4X speed. The E80 dubs at high speed at 2X only. Hopefully they'll come out with a firmware upgrade at some point. If you dub at real time, chapter stops are automatically generated if they don't exist already. I'm really bad about putting in chapter stops - as in, I don't.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #29
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey,

Thanks for all the help. You Guys (or y'all where I'm from) are so helpful. I wish everyone was as nice as you are.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #30
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey Deb,

I am still reading the instructions and I'm sooo confused.lol I hope it isn't as hard as it seems. WOW this thing is Big time high tech. I hope this simple country guy can figure this out. How long did it take you to figure it out? I think I understand that I first record a tape to the HDD hard drive then edit it and then I can burn it, right?

tsmiller