Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

GAC Family Acquires Classic Sony Sitcoms; Remembering Betty Lynn from The Andy Griffith Show
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 18, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Could a Looming Strike Shut Down TV Production?; GAC Family Acquires Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Silver Spoons, and More
Dickinson Final Season Date Announced; Superstar: Robin Williams to Air Next Week (Oct. 20)
Antenna TV's Bewitched 24-Hour Halloween Marathon; Rewind TV's Sabrina Witch-O-Ween Marathon
Head of the Class Reboot Premieres Nov. 4, Guest Stars Robin Givens; The Bear Coming to FX
CBS Picks Up First 2 New Series for Full Seasons; On My Block Spinoff Series Cast Set

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-October)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
10/19 - Maude - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #241
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
1) There are people for and against lie detector tests. Some say they are reliable 61% of the time while others are in the 80-90 % range. Who are we to believe? It seems foolish that almost every law enforcement agency in the world would use something that is "worthless".

2) Yes you can choose to not answer certain questions. It's not like the administrator has a hammer to hit people in the hand when they don't answer questions. A simple, "I'd rather not answer that." would suffice. And they wouldn't ask any questions other than what would pertain to what you're being questioned about.

3) Police departments obviously are trying to solve cases, and by using a polygraph that someone failed of course they are going to look into that person deeper than they would someone who passed a polygraph.

4) Yes the police are more trustworthy than lawyers, IMO. As soon as a case is over with a lawyer will leave you quicker than a one night stand. A lawyer's interest in "protecting your rights" is all legal "red tape" as far as I'm concerned.

Here's an example. A person who gets a DUI is told by police, the courts, and commissioners that you should get a lawyer so he can fully explain your rights and would also assist you in the legal process, etc. It's almost like a scare tactic when some even talk about those who show up in court without a lawyer and they get a harsher sentence. Then when you obtain the said lawyer and drop thousands of dollars later, this person shows up on your court date and says no more than five minutes of trivial background information about the person on trial. That is not someone interested in protecting your rights, it's all about lining their pockets.

Enough of the polygraph debate, back to Eric Tamiyasu...I still stand by my statement that Dixon being the only person who could gain entry to Eric's house undetected makes him the number one suspect alone.
Hmm...

1) Most LE agencies have few trained investigators and far too many crimes for those investigators to handle. Anything that looks like a "life preserver" (like polygraphs) are going to clung to whether they work effectively or not.

2) If you don't answer the question, it invalidates the test. Then it becomes "inconclusive." Try explaining an inconclusive test to people that may already be suspicious of you.

3) And since the polygraph is of little practical value, they'll have wasted hours, days or months on a "suspect" that may have nothing to do w/ the case. Or worse..may have not committed any crimes.

4) Really? How are the police more trustworthy? The police are civil servants whose main desire is to remain employed as police officers. Everything else is secondary to that. If you think that I'm wrong, how many police officers quit last year because of corruption in their departments? Or turned in other officers that are incompetent or corrupt? Unfortunately, not many as that would likely also result in them no longer being police officers.

While attorneys can be venal and corrupt themselves, they also possess training in legal issues and experience in court that the majority of adults do not. That experience is the only thing protecting your rights. Going into a legal arena trusting only in your "instincts" and believing that the authorities are somehow "in your favor" is a very naive mindset, IMO.

As to Don Dixon: There's no way of knowing how many people had access to Mr. Tamiyasu's home. Anybody that ever had a key could have come in any time they wanted. Or he could left a door unlocked.; we'll never know.

What we DO know is that Mr. Tamiyasu had a very messy personal life and it appears that was probably the primary reason that he was murdered. To me, looking into his personal life more closely will probably lead to his killer or killers.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #242
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
Hmm...

1) Most LE agencies have few trained investigators and far too many crimes for those investigators to handle. Anything that looks like a "life preserver" (like polygraphs) are going to clung to whether they work effectively or not.

2) If you don't answer the question, it invalidates the test. Then it becomes "inconclusive." Try explaining an inconclusive test to people that may already be suspicious of you.

3) And since the polygraph is of little practical value, they'll have wasted hours, days or months on a "suspect" that may have nothing to do w/ the case. Or worse..may have not committed any crimes.

4) Really? How are the police more trustworthy? The police are civil servants whose main desire is to remain employed as police officers. Everything else is secondary to that. If you think that I'm wrong, how many police officers quit last year because of corruption in their departments? Or turned in other officers that are incompetent or corrupt? Unfortunately, not many as that would likely also result in them no longer being police officers.

While attorneys can be venal and corrupt themselves, they also possess training in legal issues and experience in court that the majority of adults do not. That experience is the only thing protecting your rights. Going into a legal arena trusting only in your "instincts" and believing that the authorities are somehow "in your favor" is a very naive mindset, IMO.

As to Don Dixon: There's no way of knowing how many people had access to Mr. Tamiyasu's home. Anybody that ever had a key could have come in any time they wanted. Or he could left a door unlocked.; we'll never know.

What we DO know is that Mr. Tamiyasu had a very messy personal life and it appears that was probably the primary reason that he was murdered. To me, looking into his personal life more closely will probably lead to his killer or killers.
Others may have had a key to Tamiyasu's house, but Dixon openly admitted he was the only other person besides Eric to have the security code to his alarm system. The only other theory that makes sense to me IMO is a jealous ex-boyfriend of Eric's date on the night he was murdered. But that has only come from a poster on here who sounds suspiciously like Dixon or his wife.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #243
Hambone2421

Quote:
Others may have had a key to Tamiyasu's house, but Dixon openly admitted he was the only other person besides Eric to have the security code to his alarm system. The only other theory that makes sense to me IMO is a jealous ex-boyfriend of Eric's date on the night he was murdered. But that has only come from a poster on here who sounds suspiciously like Dixon or his wife.
The fact that Dixon openly admits to being the only person with a key and the alarm code is suspicious for two reasons. The first being that he just openly admitted to being able to get into Eric's house without any forced entry but the second reason is that if he is innocent, I'm not sure I would brag about being the only one with a key and the alarm code AND the person who found the body all the while blaming pretty much everyone else in town of the murder.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #244
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
The fact that Dixon openly admits to being the only person with a key and the alarm code is suspicious for two reasons. The first being that he just openly admitted to being able to get into Eric's house without any forced entry but the second reason is that if he is innocent, I'm not sure I would brag about being the only one with a key and the alarm code AND the person who found the body all the while blaming pretty much everyone else in town of the murder.
Don Dixon believed that he was the only person w/ the alarm code probably because Mr. Tamiyasu told him he was. Since Dixon and Tamiyasu don't seem to have been particularly close, it would be odd for Mr. Tamiyasu to have given Dixon a key and the code.

You'd almost have to believe that Tamiyasu's family would also have keys and know his code. And there's the possibility that one or more lady "friends" of Mr Tamiyasu had a key or an alarm code. Or both.

Don Dixon strikes me as being an odd guy that was attracted by the attention that Mr. Tamiyasu's murder brought about. While he does act suspicious, I think that the thought of being on television and inflating his own sense of self-importance were his main motivations for involving himself in this mess more so than any actual guilt.

Last edited by cocytus; 01-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #245
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I think Dixon openly admits this because one he's guilty somehow, and he's also egotistical. I think it's also his half-assed attempt to explain why he would have access to Eric's house by proclaiming how they were best friends. Instead of sticking to just saying, "Everyone is a suspect instead of me and my wife", he goes into a tirade detailing personal conflicts with other potential "suspects" in this case. That also suggests his guilt, IMO.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #246
Hambone2421

Quote:
I think Dixon openly admits this because one he's guilty somehow, and he's also egotistical. I think it's also his half-assed attempt to explain why he would have access to Eric's house by proclaiming how they were best friends. Instead of sticking to just saying, "Everyone is a suspect instead of me and my wife", he goes into a tirade detailing personal conflicts with other potential "suspects" in this case. That also suggests his guilt, IMO.
I agree. He and Brett Favre must have the same sized ego for him to constantly put himself in the middle of everything.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #247
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
I agree. He and Brett Favre must have the same sized ego for him to constantly put himself in the middle of everything.
I wonder if Dixon took the same type of pictures Favre took on his cell phone and sent them to Eric?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #248
Hambone2421

Quote:
I wonder if Dixon took the same type of pictures Favre took on his cell phone and sent them to Eric?
LMAO!! That's effed up man.

Last edited by Hambone2421; 01-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #249
Apostapler
Forum Regular

I don't usually get on Dixon's side, but if I was a suspect I would never take a polygraph test. The police are NOT your friends. ever.
Apostapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #250
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostapler
I don't usually get on Dixon's side, but if I was a suspect I would never take a polygraph test. The police are NOT your friends. ever.
Not necessarily your friends per se, but refusing to take a polygraph would most likely result in the police looking at you as an even likelier suspect. The fact that Dixon allegedly paid for one out of his own pocket seems suspicious as well. He obviously cooperating with the police by burning Eric's bed when Wampler asked him to, so why all of a sudden do a 180 and refuse to take their polygraph?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #251
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Not necessarily your friends per se, but refusing to take a polygraph would most likely result in the police looking at you as an even likelier suspect. The fact that Dixon allegedly paid for one out of his own pocket seems suspicious as well. He obviously cooperating with the police by burning Eric's bed when Wampler asked him to, so why all of a sudden do a 180 and refuse to take their polygraph?
Regardless of your guilt or innocence (something that polygraph can't possibly determine) your being a "suspect" is something that you can do little about. If you did do it, then a polygraph would be a waste of time. If you didn't do it, there's no guarantees that you still won't be investigated by frustrated detectives looking for answers.

There are fewer upsides to assisting the police in an investigation than there are downsides. While your assistance might be welcome in some quarters, too much assistance, a poorly timed joke or nervous statement can cast suspicion on you.

Perhaps after he became aware of how much potential trouble he could be in, Don Dixon decided that further cooperation wasn't going to benefit him. That doesn't mean that he did anything; it just may be that he saw which way the wind was blowing and decided to come in out of the storm.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #252
Hambone2421

Last edited by Hambone2421; 03-22-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #253
Hambone2421

I don't believe this has been mentioned but does anyone know when Eric's date of death was determined to be? I only ask because Dixon claims he went over there after Eric did not respond to his calls and Eric was found dead. Well, I wonder if his approximate date and time of death would fall on the night that he was last with Diana, possibly tying into the crazy ex boyfriend theory or if it was in the days after that?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #254
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Just a quick note on polygraphs:

Gary Ridgeway (Green River Killer) passed a polygraph given to him in the mid 80's. The police cleared him based on the result and he went on to kill many more women.

A woman in Wichita, KS was murdered back in the 80's. The husband was given a polygraph and failed. This pretty much put the husband under a cloud of suspicion in his town for close to 20 years. Everyone thought he had done it and his life was pretty much destroyed. Then guess what happened? The BTK killer was caught and his DNA matched that left at the crime scene. Husband finally cleared.

Numerous spies like Aldrich Ames passed polygraphs, even though overwhelming evidence proves they were passing secrets to the Soviets. These guys were trained by the KGB in methods of how to beat polygraphs.

The scientific consensus is that polygraphs are not reliable. The Supreme Court agrees. Numerous large scale studies have been done and the vast majority of them are not favorable to the polygraph.

From wikipedia:

Quote:
In 2003, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) issued a report entitled "The Polygraph and Lie Detection". The NAS found that the majority of polygraph research was "Unreliable, Unscientific and Biased", concluding that 57 of the approximately 80 research studies that the APA relies on to come to their conclusions were significantly flawed.
I would rather the police rely on scientific methods of investigation and not on pseudo-science.
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #255
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

Don Dixon is so guilty it makes me want to explode. Those crocodile tears he shed were so damn pathetic--you can tell so easily that he was just forcing it.

Its really a miracle how he hasn't been charged and convicted yet. Never before has a UM interviewee blamed so many other people and pointed so many fingers. I am 110% sure Mr. Dixon murdered Eric Yamiyasu.
Kyte is offline   Reply With Quote