Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Bewitched (Sitcoms Online) / Bewitched links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Bewitched Photo Gallery

Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete First Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (B&W) on DVD
(Mill Creek)
Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Second Season (Color) on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Third Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series on DVD
Bewitched - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy Bewitched - The Complete Series
(Mill Creek) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Bewitched

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Young Sheldon Starts on Nick at Nite on Monday; Pluto TV Adds 6 More Classic TV Channels
2020 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
HBO Max Comedy Search Party Brings Out the Guest Stars; CW Seed Reunites CW 90210 Series
Catch Last Season's Holiday Sitcom The Moodys Before Season 2; Tiffani Thiessen Hosting Deliciousness, Spin-off of Ridiculousness
ABC Announces Midseason 2021 Scripted Premieres; NBC Announces January and February 2021 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 23, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Sets Premiere Date for Mr. Mayor; New Version of Name That Tune in the Works at Fox

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October/November)

Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season Mom - The Complete Seventh Season The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

08/04 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Eighth Season
08/04 - The Neighborhood - Season One
08/11 - Awkwafina Is Nora from Queens - Season 1
08/11 - Final Space - The First and Second Seasons (Blu-ray)
09/01 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 14
09/01 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete Second Season
09/01 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
09/15 - Mom - The Complete Seventh Season
09/15 - South Side - Season 1
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Second Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Third Season
09/22 - Brockmire - The Complete Fourth Season
09/22 - Man with a Plan - Season Three
09/29 - The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
10/13 - The Jetsons - The Complete Series (Diamond Collection)
10/13 - Our Cartoon President - Season Two
10/23 - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - The Complete Collection
10/27 - The Flintstones - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
10/27 - Head of the Class - The Complete Second Season (WBShop.com)
11/10 - Letterkenny - Seasons 5 & 6
11/10 - The Office - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/10 - Schitt's Creek - The Complete Collection

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Duster76
Forum Regular

Default Darrin vs. Endora

When I watched this show as a kid I wondered why Darrin would antagonize Endora. He was certainly justified that's not the issue, but Darrin going toe to toe with Endora was a canoe taking on a battleship. She could wave her hands and put him in the oven, turn him into an animal basically do anything she wanted. Taking her on was a losing proposition she could make his life a living hell. On top of this, Darrin had a unique set of skills to deal with this, he was an advertising man for God sakes, his career was getting people to like and buy particular products. Why not use those skills to get on Endora's good side. No matter what he should have treated her like a queen when she was around because God help you if she got mad.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
merlinjones
Frequent Poster

I think he was influenced by his mother (Phyllis "I have a sick headache") similarly neurotic and stubborn behavior, and he also had male ego issues feeling diminished by both his wife and mother-in-law's clear superiority (this was still the 60's after all).
merlinjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
When I watched this show as a kid I wondered why Darrin would antagonize Endora. He was certainly justified that's not the issue, but Darrin going toe to toe with Endora was a canoe taking on a battleship. She could wave her hands and put him in the oven, turn him into an animal basically do anything she wanted. Taking her on was a losing proposition she could make his life a living hell. On top of this, Darrin had a unique set of skills to deal with this, he was an advertising man for God sakes, his career was getting people to like and buy particular products. Why not use those skills to get on Endora's good side. No matter what he should have treated her like a queen when she was around because God help you if she got mad.
I agree. She could have swished him like a bug if she wanted to. Considering his impudence, she was surprising tolerant. I liked the old gal a lot...

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
tcr1701
Forum Regular

I always found it interesting that Endora was never right about Darrin. She would accuse him of being something (greedy, miserly, narcissistic, etc.) but she had to put a spell on him to make him that way. Still, Darrin was his own worst enemy in picking fights with Samantha's relatives.

However, it did lend itself to some great scenes between Darrin and Endora specifically. Agnes and Dick York who had a great acting chemistry between them. One of my favorite scenes/dialogues was between York and Agnes:

Darrin (York) comes into the kitchen where Samantha and Endora are talking:

Darrin: Morning, Sam. Bad news...
Endora: I resent you addressing me like that!
Darrin: I wasn't addressing you, I just said bad news.
Endora: You were looking at me.
Darrin: Well, if the shoe fits...
Endora: I'm warning you, shoes can kick!
tcr1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair View Post
There is no "good side." Endora's a narcissistic psychopath. There's nothing he can do to make her happy.
This is kind if the direction I was going to go. Trying to get on her good side would have been futile. There might even have been an episode or two where he went in that direction, to no avail.

Actually, the only friendly moment I remember between them was when Tabitha (then spelled Tabatha) was born. And there were a few times when she rescued him from Maurice's wrath.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
Willbo
Forum Regular

I loved the Darrin and Endora chemistry especially with Dick York. I think it was it was natural for Darrin to lose patience with Endora as it was getting old with her interfering as the seasons progressed. I agree that Agnes Moorehead and Dick Sargent did not has as much chemistry.
Willbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
Larry Tate
Suspended

Conflict between Darrin & The Wiches Councils & Endora
Bottom line the conflict that existed from The Wiches Councils point of view was between Darrin's insistence that his family live in mortal world context magic free & Endora & the Witch World's insistence that they & particularly Samantha & the children live a magical life in the Witch world.

Now this had to be to create the dramatic tension & conflict that the story-lines were created around.

Without it there would have been no show Bewitched as we know it.
There would have been only a half a season with that premise of magical gratification before the show got stale with everyone getting what they wanted through magic.

To stay true to the premise & to maintain the credibility and integrity of Darrin's character he had to remain consistent in his insistence that their life be magic free.

This is demonstrated in the episode "The Girl with the golden nose" & others in the line of "A is for Aardvark".

The conflict was never a personal one between Darrin & Endora & company or even that he was mortal, it was all based on his insistence of no magic & whenever he even for a moment changed his tune on that such as when he said he was wrong in a situation of magicalness then Endora's attitude went 180 degrees in respect to Darrin & no longer was a hostile one.

Although Darrin received no assurance from Samantha's family of no witchcraft, he was simply being consistent in his opposition to witchcraft by whomever, especially if it impacted on the life of him & his family.

It wasn't that he didn't want Samantha's family to not visit but rather that they not impose witchcraft on he, his family & most of all his children in the process.

I don't think Darrin was ever abusive towards Samantha, rather he was reacting to the extreme to some impossible situation he was placed in by magic be a member of Samantha's family.

If he had been accepting of the use of Witchcraft by Samantha & her family then he would have been a hypocrite and a traitor to his values & all that he stood for, the hard working all American executive devoted to free enterprise & the American way.

He took it out on her at times as she was his contact to her witchly world inhabited by her family that were causing all the problems in his life.They thought Mortals & their way of life to both inferior to theirs and assinine, as well as a threat to their own continued existence.

Just the inter-marriage aspect was a threat, as The Witches Council & Endora saw it would have diluted their Witchlieness down to the point that eventually over a very long period of time they would be more Mortal then Witch.

Remember there were very few of them, so much so that when Tabatha was born as the first new Witch of her generation it was a big deal to them as it signified a continuence of who they were as well as an addition to their small numbers, they really were a small minority.
Larry Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
Monliz
Frequent Poster

With Endora interfering in their marriage all the time, of course Darrin would have to lose his temper and confront her, even he if restrained himself it wouldn't work because there's nothing he could do to change Endora's mind.

What Endora didn't like about Darrin is that he's human, and obviously Darrin can't change that, so he's doomed .
Monliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 AM   #9
TheLittleFaerie
Forum Regular

I dreamed once I met the Bewitched characters and Endora and I got along great! I wanted to learn witchcraft and she was happy to teach me, against Samantha objecting lol
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleFaerie View Post
I dreamed once I met the Bewitched characters and Endora and I got along great! I wanted to learn witchcraft and she was happy to teach me, against Samantha objecting lol
Yeah, I always thought Endora came across glamorous and chic. And I bet she would have taught me a little something; but not TOO MUCH as Iím only a mortal lol.

Regarding Darrin, what a pill!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:07 AM   #11
TheLittleFaerie
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts! View Post
Yeah, I always thought Endora came across glamorous and chic. And I bet she would have taught me a little something; but not TOO MUCH as Iím only a mortal lol.

I always saw Endora being a pretty cool person who most could get along with as long as they didn't start saying ignorant things about witches.
TheLittleFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts! View Post

This is how I saw Endora too.

The problem with Endora is that she could not accept that Samantha chose to give up witchcraft for Darrin. Then there was Darrin insisting that he and Samantha could and would make a comfortable life for themselves without the help of witchcraft, so all Endora could see was that this man was changing Samantha into someone she wasn't.

Darrin antagonizing Endora was quite stupid. Darrin never stopped antagonizing Endora and she never stopped trying to break Sam and Darrin up. They were both extremely stubborn, but you would think that Darrin would eventually stop yelling at Endora just to save himself from being zapped into something by her.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
OH Nuts!
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleFaerie View Post
I always saw Endora being a pretty cool person who most could get along with as long as they didn't start saying ignorant things about witches.
Yeah, I agree. She was very restrained considering her vast powers. She even protected him from Maurice at least once.

I disagree with those who see her as a narcissistic psychopath. I think if Darrin had been less of a jerk, they would have gotten on much better.