Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Flo (Sitcoms Online) / Flo links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Flo Photo Gallery / Alice Message Board / Alice Photo Gallery

Flo - The Complete Series

Buy Flo - The Complete Series (WBShop.com) on DVD
(Amazon.com)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Flo

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #31
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I finally got to see the spinoff Flo and after about 5 minutes, i was no longer interested. Maybe it was because I had just watched a episode of Alice before I watched Flo. Actually I don'tthink it would have made a difference becuse the show was just thrown togeher. This show was worst than Taxi-LOL. And that's pretty bad.
did you get some episodes of Flo Soloman?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #32
CeeBO
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I just can;t understand who else she would say Kiss My Grits to on FLO when the phrase originated from ALICE. Now it was ok for her to say it to MEL but to other cast members?. Makes no sense
Are you kidding? Flo didn't JUST say "kiss my grits" to Mel on "Alice". It's not like the line was created just to put Mel down. It was a part of Flo's personality: for her NOT to say it to other people would make no sense. Anyway, I just wanted to clear up the misinformation.
CeeBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireneparalegal
did you get some episodes of Flo Soloman?

Yeah I have a total of 5
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #34
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBO
Are you kidding? Flo didn't JUST say "kiss my grits" to Mel on "Alice". It's not like the line was created just to put Mel down. It was a part of Flo's personality: for her NOT to say it to other people would make no sense. Anyway, I just wanted to clear up the misinformation.

Kiss my Grits should have been left on Alice.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:20 AM   #35
CeeBO
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Kiss my Grits should have been left on Alice.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I could not disagree with you more. It would have been preposterous for Flo not to say her siginture line on her own show.
CeeBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #36
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBO
You are entitled to your opinion, but I could not disagree with you more. It would have been preposterous for Flo not to say her siginture line on her own show.

Why couldn;t it be a NEW PHRASE since it was a NEW SHOW?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #37
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
I just can;t understand who else she would say Kiss My Grits to on FLO when the phrase originated from ALICE. Now it was ok for her to say it to MEL but to other cast members?. Makes no sense
Flo probably had some of the same producers and writers that Alice did, so it makes perfect sense.

It's the same character, so why wouldn't she say it??
Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #38
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Flo probably had some of the same producers and writers that Alice did, so it makes perfect sense.

It's the same character, so why wouldn't she say it??

Because the Phrase started on a Different Show that's why. Grady from Sanford and Son didn't say Good Goobley GOO on his Spinoff
Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #39
ahafan02
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
Because the Phrase started on a Different Show that's why. Grady from Sanford and Son didn't say Good Goobley GOO on his Spinoff

Just wanted to share some information on this show. Polly had wanted to quit Alice because of problems with Linda Lavin (many problems originated because Linda believed Alice was HER show and had complained numerous times that Polly's character was distracting and taking away from the purpose of the series). Polly was also becoming increasingly annoyed by being bothered in her private life by strangers thinking she was just like her character Flo (and repeatedly asking her to say "kiss my grits"). When Polly went to the producers to let them know she was leaving they talked her into doing a show of her own. Since Flo was the popular character from Alice they thought the spinoff would do better than the original series. They were sadly wrong. Flo refused to say "kiss my grits" anymore, with exception of one episode, which according to gossip at the time the show was recorded, the producers had to do a lot of begging to get her to say it. FLO suffered from numerous rewrites and writers. Compared to ALICE which continued to do well, FLO just wasn't at the same level and after two seasons was yanked. Polly went on to make some guest appearances on other TV shows (most notably as Rose's blind sister on the Golden Girls). She now focuses mostly on theater. She rarely, if ever, talks about ALICE or FLO. The longstanding rumour was that she hated TV and TV shows and that she has told friends she wished she would have never done either show (which is a shame).

Incidently, when ALICE was being cast, the producers originally wanted Diane Ladd as Flo. She refused because she didn't want to do another TV show. She would eventually agree to play Belle but after battles with the producers she left the show less than one year later.
ahafan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #40
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02
Just wanted to share some information on this show. Polly had wanted to quit Alice because of problems with Linda Lavin (many problems originated because Linda believed Alice was HER show and had complained numerous times that Polly's character was distracting and taking away from the purpose of the series). Polly was also becoming increasingly annoyed by being bothered in her private life by strangers thinking she was just like her character Flo (and repeatedly asking her to say "kiss my grits"). When Polly went to the producers to let them know she was leaving they talked her into doing a show of her own. Since Flo was the popular character from Alice they thought the spinoff would do better than the original series. They were sadly wrong. Flo refused to say "kiss my grits" anymore, with exception of one episode, which according to gossip at the time the show was recorded, the producers had to do a lot of begging to get her to say it. FLO suffered from numerous rewrites and writers. Compared to ALICE which continued to do well, FLO just wasn't at the same level and after two seasons was yanked. Polly went on to make some guest appearances on other TV shows (most notably as Rose's blind sister on the Golden Girls). She now focuses mostly on theater. She rarely, if ever, talks about ALICE or FLO. The longstanding rumour was that she hated TV and TV shows and that she has told friends she wished she would have never done either show (which is a shame).

Incidently, when ALICE was being cast, the producers originally wanted Diane Ladd as Flo. She refused because she didn't want to do another TV show. She would eventually agree to play Belle but after battles with the producers she left the show less than one year later.

The only time Flo said-"Kiss My Grits" on her own show was when Mel from Alice made a Guest Apperance. Other than that I personally think it was no reason for her to say kiss my grits on any other episode
Old 02-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #41
ahafan02
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The only time Flo said-"Kiss My Grits" on her own show was when Mel from Alice made a Guest Apperance. Other than that I personally think it was no reason for her to say kiss my grits on any other episode

If you read what I wrote I clearly said she said it only once (during the FLO season). Polly herself has said before she was sick of saying it and she was sick of people coming up to her and asking her to say it. Since I was only 7 when the series originally aired I cared either way. I'm just trying to explain what I have seen and heard and read. I have an interview with Polly from the mid 80's (around the time the original Gremlins movie came out) and she explained that she hated the character of Flo and she hated that people would approach her thinking she was just like her (she mentioned an incident where one gentleman tried to touch her inappropriately and she also mentioned people screaming "Kiss My Grits" at her and asking her to say it).

I have all of the FLO series. It's not very good but I've always like Polly and she tried to do her best. I have met her three times, and despite reports of her being nasty to fans, she was actually very sweet to me. I only asked her once about Alice and all she would say it was something about it being water under the bridge.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #42
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
If you read what I wrote I clearly said she said it only once. Polly herself has said before she was sick of saying it and she was sick of people coming up to her and asking her to say it.

I know, I was just pointing out that she only sad it on her spinoff when it made sense to say it, when Mel came. I was in a debate on the Alice Board when I said it was no need for her to say kiss my grits once she got her own show. And some members would say-Why it was her trademark?-lol I said yes it was but on ALICE not FLO
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #43
ahafan02
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I know, I was just pointing out that she only sad it on her spinoff when it made sense to say it, when Mel came. I was in a debate on the Alice Board when I said it was no need for her to say kiss my grits once she got her own show. And some members would say-Why it was her trademark?-lol I said yes it was but on ALICE not FLO

I see where you're coming from. Besides, I think that phrase was growing tired by then anyway.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #44
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I see where you're coming from. Besides, I think that phrase was growing tired by then anyway.

It's a shame she couldn't return to Alice like Marla Gibbs returned to the Jeffersons when her spinoff failed. The Flo Spinoff had to WORK because she wasn't getting along with Linda Lavin. That wasn't the case with Marla Gibbs. The spinoff FLO is just so unwatchable that it amazes me how it finished #7 after it's First season
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #45
ahafan02
Frequent Poster

Quote:
It's a shame she couldn't return to Alice like Marla Gibbs returned to the Jeffersons when her spinoff failed. The Flo Spinoff had to WORK because she wasn't getting along with Linda Lavin. That wasn't the case with Marla Gibbs. The spinoff FLO is just so unwatchable that it amazes me how it finished #7 after it's First season

I agree with that. It's a shame they didn't get along. Finishing #7 is proof that people enjoyed the character. To bad the spin off was so weak.