Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #76
justins5256

This discussion about the segment possibly being on Lifetime is interesting.

I first heard of the Calico/Henley case in the late 80s through A Current Affair and America's Most Wanted. I honestly was unaware that it was covered on UM until the early 2000s when I received a recording of the 9/20/89 NBC airing of the episode via a trade. I then passed that recording on to Crystaldawn.

If the Calico/Henley story was shown on Lifetime, I can confirm that it was NOT shown in part of the episode it originally was packaged with on NBC. The old Lifetime version of 9/20/89 (with Stack, pre-Farina) substituted the lengthy Sheldon Weinberg update in place of the Calico/Henley story.

That being said, I do remember a couple folks mentioning on the forum over the years that they saw the Calico/Henley story during the half hour 1am installments that used to air on Lifetime back in the 90s. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing it.

However, I can also confirm that the half hour installments that aired at 1am some times did contain stories that were not shown during the 8pm hour long installments. I accidentally stumbled upon the Keith Reinhard story this way one night when I was recording a movie on Lifetime, fell asleep during the recording without shutting off the VCR and the tape kept rolling. The tape finally ran out just split seconds after the completion of the Keith Reinhard story.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #77
wiseguy182

Another reason I don't believe it's a hoax is because the segment aired on the 9/20/89 episode -- the second season premiere. I don't think UM would open a season with a hoax story.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #78
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Another reason I don't believe it's a hoax is because the segment aired on the 9/20/89 episode -- the second season premiere. I don't think UM would open a season with a hoax story.
Wasn't that the same episode that featured the Roswell UFO crash?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #79
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Wasn't that the same episode that featured the Roswell UFO crash?
Yep, it was Jim Meade/Roswell/Tara Calico & Michael Henley Jr. in that order.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #80
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The update that I remember seeing showed the picture of Michael Henley, and then a news shot of the area where he was last seen with Stack talking about how his body was discovered shortly from where his family was camping.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #81
wiseguy182

One thing that I'm confused on is that I've heard reports that a vehicle was following Tara, and that it was also believed that the vehicle accidentally hit Tara, and it was susbsequently covered up. Huh?

If a vehicle was following Tara, that would be more indicative of a kidnapping/foul play than an accident. I have no idea why they would be following her unless he/she/they intended to do something with her.

I think someone mentioned on here that in most cases of road accidents/hit-and-runs, the victim is left behind. That makes sense. Even if police managed to find a vehicle that they believe collided with Tara and her bike, it would be very difficult to prove foul play. They could just argue that Tara wasn't watching where she was going and veered into traffic, they hit her in an accident, panicked and hid the body and the bike. It seems to me there would be little reason to hide the body and the bike to this day.

The fact that Tara has never been found makes me believe she was kidnapped.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #82
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
One thing that I'm confused on is that I've heard reports that a vehicle was following Tara, and that it was also believed that the vehicle accidentally hit Tara, and it was susbsequently covered up. Huh?

If a vehicle was following Tara, that would be more indicative of a kidnapping/foul play than an accident. I have no idea why they would be following her unless he/she/they intended to do something with her.

I think someone mentioned on here that in most cases of road accidents/hit-and-runs, the victim is left behind. That makes sense. Even if police managed to find a vehicle that they believe collided with Tara and her bike, it would be very difficult to prove foul play. They could just argue that Tara wasn't watching where she was going and veered into traffic, they hit her in an accident, panicked and hid the body and the bike. It seems to me there would be little reason to hide the body and the bike to this day.

Could have been some teens "tailgaiting" her bike with their vehicle, harassing her. That's what I tend to think was happening. Some local idiots were messing with her, accidentally struck her, and then hid the body to cover it up.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #83
justins5256

Quote:

Just speaking hypothetically, but if a vehicle did collide with the bike, it's possible that there may be paint transference. The perp/perps might have wanted to dispose of the bike for that reason. Also, wasn't the vehicle tailing her supposedly rare/vintage even for the 80s? A rare vehicle coupled with the possibility of transference would be a good reason to get rid of the bike.

The bike being missing and her body not being found could go either way honestly. I mean, if she was kidnapped by someone, why would they take the bike? Wouldn't they just want to grab her and go?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #84
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Just speaking hypothetically, but if a vehicle did collide with the bike, it's possible that there may be paint transference. The perp/perps might have wanted to dispose of the bike for that reason. Also, wasn't the vehicle tailing her supposedly rare/vintage even for the 80s? A rare vehicle coupled with the possibility of transference would be a good reason to get rid of the bike.

The bike being missing and her body not being found could go either way honestly. I mean, if she was kidnapped by someone, why would they take the bike? Wouldn't they just want to grab her and go?
In that scenario, they would probably take the bike in order to minimize any trail of evidence they might have left behind which would buy them some time to get away. Plus it would have been easy and quick for them to stuff the bike in their truck or van; if they were in a sedan it would have taken them a little while and a passing motorist might have noticed.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #85
elg0rd0
Just wanna play video games.
Frequent Poster

The big picture here, is that it has never been proven Tara was abducted beyond a shadow of a doubt. The polaroid itself is circumstantial at best. Who knows maybe she took a longer route than usual and disappeared of her own free will. I've heard of cases where a person, primarily a young adult, went out to do an everyday activity and just literally walked away from everything. They started a new life, got a new job, got married, had kids, etc.

I once heard of a case where an 18 year old girl left to get milk at the grocery store and just disappeared. Her family found her 8 years later working at a WalMart in a neighboring state. She had a husband and 2 kids and refused to talk to her family.

Again I don't think the photo proves anything on the theory of Tara being abducted.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #86
88keys
Forum Regular

Quote:
I took it to mean kids her own age who came across her riding her bike and got behind her to harass her and mess with her, not a perp who secretly followed her. They were messing around and then accidentally got too close and hit her.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #87
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
In that scenario, they would probably take the bike in order to minimize any trail of evidence they might have left behind which would buy them some time to get away. Plus it would have been easy and quick for them to stuff the bike in their truck or van; if they were in a sedan it would have taken them a little while and a passing motorist might have noticed.
I think some pieces of her Walkman and a cassette tape she was listening to were found along the highway. Granted, I never really considered the implications of this before, but I think this might be move evidence in favor of the accidental hit theory. The Walkman could have been damaged during the accident and the assailants neglected to pick it up in their haste to quickly clean up (before other motorists came by) and flee the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elg0rd0
The big picture here, is that it has never been proven Tara was abducted beyond a shadow of a doubt. The polaroid itself is circumstantial at best. Who knows maybe she took a longer route than usual and disappeared of her own free will. I've heard of cases where a person, primarily a young adult, went out to do an everyday activity and just literally walked away from everything. They started a new life, got a new job, got married, had kids, etc.

I once heard of a case where an 18 year old girl left to get milk at the grocery store and just disappeared. Her family found her 8 years later working at a WalMart in a neighboring state. She had a husband and 2 kids and refused to talk to her family.

Again I don't think the photo proves anything on the theory of Tara being abducted.
I've never heard of a run away theory in this case. While I suppose it is possible, there really isn't any evidence of it that I am aware. Everything I have read about the case makes it sound as if Tara's disappearance, whatever the motivations and the mechanics behind it ultimately were, was not voluntary.

Also, I think people get too hung up on the Polaroid. There could be multiple scenarios here.

A. Tara was abducted, and IS the girl in the Polaroid.
B. Tara was abducted and IS NOT the girl in the Polaroid.
C. Tara was the victim of a hit and run and IS NOT the girl in the Polaroid.

The only scenario that explains both Tara's disappearance AND the Polaroid together is the first one. The other two explain Tara's disappearance, but not the facts behind what's going on in the Polaroid.

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I think the girl in the Polaroid was NOT Tara. I mean, the photo was found quite a distance away from where Tara disappeared, several months after the fact. The FBI was never able to confirm that the girl in the Polaroid was Tara, nor were researchers at Los Alamos. The possibility that Tara was the girl in the Polaroid was suggested by her parents after they saw the photo in the media. I hate to say this, but parents in missing persons cases will often grasp at whatever straws they can to believe that their child is alive. So, the possibility of the girl being Tara provided some hope that she may one day come home. Unfortunately, I just don't think the girl was Tara. There really is no evidence that it was aside from the parent's hunch. Also, not to mention that Henley's parents were certain he was the boy in the photo. We know that can't be the case.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #88
dynoguy88

Quote:
I've never heard of a run away theory in this case. While I suppose it is possible, there really isn't any evidence of it that I am aware.
None whatsoever.

I guess nothing is impossible but consider that she had a family (parents and a younger sister) with whom she was extremely close. She had a ton of friends from both high school and college. She had a boyfriend. She had a full scholarship to the Univeristy of New Mexico - (a free college education which she took very seriously), I can't think of any reason why she would choose to throw all of that away and live on her own in some other state.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #89
wiseguy182

I certainly don't blame Tara's parents for thinking it's her. If a person did nothing more than glance at a picture of Tara and the infamous Poloroid, I can certainly see how someone would think it's her since the general physical apperance is about the same. The odds go down the more you investigate. I could also understand how they would want it to be her since they viewed it as a better alternative than death.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #90
dynoguy88

Here's a couple interesting links that are pretty recent in regards to Tara's case.

Melinda Esquibel has been working on a documentary about the case for the last couple of years (titled 'Gone Without a Trace') and is hopefully close to finishing it. Melinda was a high school friend of Tara's. She now lives in Los Angeles but her family still lives in Belen. Just like Deputy Rene Rivera said a couple years ago, Melinda says she is sure that it was boys Tara had gone to school with who struck her accidentally, freaked out and took the body and the bike. Although she says four boys were in that van and that she feels alcohol might be involved. She says she also feels that all of Belen knows who these guys are and that they are indeed responsible. But she won't name names.

Melinda also says that the year she was in New Mexico working on the documentary, she started getting harassed and she had to call 911 a few times. Her family also started getting harassed and had their home broken into multiple times.

http://www.onenewspage.us/video/2013...r-25-years.htm

This second link includes a short video interview with Tara's sister Michele Doel, who was 15 when Tara went missing. Michele has granted very few interviews over the years but she agreed to do this one on a local news station to let people know that she feels it is her responsibility to keep working on the case like her parents did. But what happened to Tara still deeply haunts and effects how she handles herself today by constantly looking over her shoulder, checking the backseat of her car and making sure she's not being followed. She also mentions that she was jogging once in downtown Albuquerque and came to a stop at a corner when she ran into a police officer. The officer asked her why she chose to jog in such a congested area and she responded that she never goes ANYWHERE that's secluded because of what happened to her sister.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s...l#.U7hAmqIb7pc
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote