Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes
ABC 2019 Holiday Specials and Episodes; E! Sets Date for Reality Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #31
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The authorities do not believe the girl to be Tara, right? The new theory is she was struck while riding her bike, and the boys who struck her and their families helped them bury the body and cover it up. And I do not think the boy in the photo is Michael Henley. Looks nothing like him, IMO. I think because of the resemblance to Tara and the fact that they both were from NM, led Michael's family to think that maybe the boy was him. But after he was found shortly from where his family was camping, it seems fairly obvious that Michael's death was an unfortunate accident.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I was always under the impression that the 2 kids in the photo were abducted and that they were crimes of opportunity, which would explain the differences in gender and age. A good portion of child abductions are crimes of opportunity, and that's what I think this is. Since kids spent the majority of time in school or with family and friends, some perps may snatch one when the opportunity arises and they see one alone.
I agree about crimes, such as child abductions, being based on opportunity (most, if not all, crimes are if you really think about it and there are actually criminological theories that dictate opportunity has to exist for a crime to occur).

However, it's more complicated than that. As these crimes are rare, we're talking about a very specific offender type. You have to ask yourself, what motivates a person, specifically a stranger, to abduct a child they otherwise have no relationship with?

These types of crimes are predatory in nature and typically have a sex-based motive. Therefore, the perf's own sexual preferences are going to come in to play, as are age preferences. Age is important to these kinds of predators because as children mature, they develop more adult features which are not appealing.

Thus, these types of predators have very specific circumscribed victim preferences they rarely, if ever, deviate from and they are not going to strike simply because an opportunity exists and a random isolated child is present.

Assuming that the children in the Polaroid were, in fact, abducted children, then our perp would have to have no gender and age preference. It's highly unusual and atypical considering how these types of criminals operate.

Quote:
And it is on that note, the odds of the girl being Tara Calico increase: she disappeared biking, for all intents and purposes, out in the middle of nowhere. She was alone. The perp or perps happened upon her, there were no witnesses around, and snatched her.
As others have mentioned, there is a relatively new theory that Calico was riding her bike and was accidentally struck by some local boys who knew her. To me, that seems like the more logical possibility as opposed to some random sexual predator lurking on the highway looking for a teenage girl. Though it's not impossible.

Quote:
And it is on *that* note that the odds of it being Michael Henley increase somewhat. While I still personally don't think the photo looks like him (though he may have gotten a haircut), he did disappear from the same state as Tara -- New Mexico. So that makes me think someone was abducting children in New Mexico around 1989. I don't think it's impossible Henley was abducted and later returned to that site. The photo was found in FL, but we have no idea where it was taken.

Personally, I don't think the boy looks like Antreas Cantrell or David Michael Borer either.
Okay, so let's consider everything together.

We start with a male offender (I'm saying male because women don't usually commit these crimes). He happens to be lurking around a camp site in the Zuni Mountains in New Mexico in April 1988 and he abducts Michael Henley.

He then keeps Henley alive at least until September 20, 1988.

On Septmber 20, our offender is driving down the highway in Belen, New Mexico and encounters Tara Calico.

Even though his previous prey was a 9 year old boy whom he's kept alive, he decides he now wants a 19 year old girl. He abducts Calico.

He keeps them both alive until at least May, 1989, when he takes the infamous Polaroid.
He then discards the Polaroid in Port St. Joe, Florida in June 1989.

We don't know what becomes of Tara, but he must kill Henley and dispose of him back in the Zuni Mountains (and make it look like an accident) prior to 1990.

The alternative:

Michael Henley wanders off while on a camping trip with his father. He gets lost and ultiamtely parishes in the woods where his body will be found 2 years later.

Tara Calico is riding her bike and some local boys roll up on her. They are teasing her, and accidentally hit her with their vehicle. She is injured and/or killed and the boys panic and dispose of the body.

Someone discards a photo of two unknown (though not Calico and Henley) kids bound and gagged, in Port St. Joe, Florida in June 1989.

The grief stricken families of Henley and Calico see the photo and believe they are looking at their children.

Now, which scenario is more likey?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
As others have mentioned, there is a relatively new theory that Calico was riding her bike and was accidentally struck by some local boys who knew her. To me, that seems like the more logical possibility as opposed to some random sexual predator lurking on the highway looking for a teenage girl. Though it's not impossible.
Indeed. And a random sexual predator, I believe, is not going to go looking for a teenage victim on a desert highway. Unless it's common for teenagers in New Mexico to ride their bikes on the highway, I don't know, but I'm going to guess that's not the case. Something that should also be pointed out; September 20, 1988 was a Tuesday. And at 9:30 a.m., all kids high school aged and younger would have been in school (unless they cut school that day), so the chances of finding a kid to kidnap are going to be slim.

Here's a snippet from the sheriff about the boys who are believed to be responsible. Apparently, all of Valencia County know their names and also believe they are responsible...

Gone without a trace.
At least that has been the storyline.
But to Valencia County Sheriff Rene Rivera, the case isn't much of a whodunit.
He says he knows what happened, and has for years.
Twenty years into the Tara Calico mystery, Rivera would like to let everyone in on what happened to 19-year-old Tara out on N.M. 47 on that September day:
"The individuals who did the harm to Tara, knew who she was," Rivera told me. "They knew who she was, and they're all local individuals. And I believe that the parents (of the attackers) were some of the people that helped the individuals with hiding the truth or hiding the body or trying to escape prosecution."
Tara was 19 and starting her second year in college. Her attackers were boys she had gone to high school with, although they were behind her in school and younger, Rivera says.
"She was a real pretty girl. She was very athletic and a lot of guys wanted to talk to her, they wanted to meet her, they wanted to go out with her. And while she was riding the bike, they went up to try to talk to her, try to grab her, whatever, while she was on the bike."
The truck they were driving accidentally hit Tara, Rivera says, and bad turned worse.
Rivera has been working on the case since he started as a deputy in 1989, since he was promoted to detective in 1996 and since he was elected sheriff in 2006. For all of those years, the walls of Valencia County have been talking, naming names of the boys who were in the truck, names of the boys who helped bury Tara's body after they killed her, names of the parents and other relatives who helped clean up and cover up the mess.
Rivera says he has had enough information to get arrest warrants for the two boys now men whom he has identified as the killers. Two others have been identified as accomplices.
Then why, 20 years later, are we marking another milestone anniversary of a missing person's case?
Because Tara Calico is still missing.
"It's kind of hard to make a case," Rivera says, "without a body."
Rivera and Detective James Purdy are still talking to people about Tara Calico, and they're hoping that time will wear away some of the resistance to answering that one lingering question: What did they do with her?
"You know it's very frustrating, being that there's a lot of people that know what happened," Rivera said. "They know the whereabouts of the body or the remains.
"A lot of the information that we are getting is because people are starting to open up a little more. When this first happened, people were scared. People were threatened not to speak out because what happened to Tara could happen to them."

http://www.abqjournal.com/upfront/14...nt09-14-08.htm
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #34
wiseguy182

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Calico and Henley in the picture, although for different reasons.

I don't think the boy looks all that much like Henley, although we probably could have conclusively known if the boy in the picture had his teeth visible. Michael Henely had very distinctive teeth -- he had only been to the dentist twice and in the known photograph of him (the one shown on UM) you can tell his dental hygeine is quite poor.

What makes me not able to completely rule out Henley is that we know next to nothing about his death. There was no cause of death determined. Also, I think the distance given relation to where he disappeared is exaggerated. He was found a good 6-7 miles from where he was last seen. That's a pretty good distance. I can't conclusively say he didn't run into foul play, whether or not his case relates to the photo, I'm not sure.

Calico was 19 and a college sophomore. This is uncomfortable to say, but I don't know that a 19 year old would satisfy a pedophile's urge for a child. That's not to say that abductor couldn't be a pervy rapist, probably is, but it makes me believe the girl in the photo is under 18 since the boy definitely is.

And here's a mystery within a mystery: why does the girl get far more attention than the boy? Isn't what happened to the boy equally horrific?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #35
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

There's just no way the boy in the photo is Michael Henley, IMO. The abductor would have had to have kidnapped him from where his family was camping, traverse around with him for 5 months before deciding to abduct another child...then for reasons unknown has to kill him, and then return his body to where he originally was abducted from. It just doesn't make sense as to why the abductor would return his body to the site where he abducted him from. That's awful risky.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
Padfoot
Frequent Poster

Do y'all think the boy shown in the picture found (June 1989) under the van is the same boy that is shown in the picture mailed to police (August 2009)?

(The first picture is the under-the-van photo, the second one is the one sent to police department.)

Padfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava
Do y'all think the boy shown in the picture found (June 1989) under the van is the same boy that is shown in the picture mailed to police (August 2009)?

(The first picture is the under-the-van photo, the second one is the one sent to police department.)

I don't believe it's the same boy.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

The 2nd photo isn't even a boy that's bound and gagged, it was just a mark drawn over his mouth, IIRC.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava

No, I don't think these two boys are the same.

My gut feeling on the 2009 photos sent to the police and the newspapers is that whoever sent them was some unbalanced person who was aware of the case and either wanted to:

A. Play "games" or
B. Drum up public interest in a cold case on its 20th anniversary.

Or maybe do a little of both.

None of the mailings contained anything substantial, according to the police, which is indicative of the "inside info" we all collectively posses about true facts behind this case (i.e., none).

While the New Mexico postmarks and mailings to Port St. Joe are interesting, I think it's just indicative of a local person who followed this case in the local media, perhaps for some years.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #40
justins5256

Quote:
What makes me not able to completely rule out Henley is that we know next to nothing about his death. There was no cause of death determined. Also, I think the distance given relation to where he disappeared is exaggerated. He was found a good 6-7 miles from where he was last seen. That's a pretty good distance. I can't conclusively say he didn't run into foul play, whether or not his case relates to the photo, I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure I read in an article that he died of exposure, which would suggest an accidental death due to the elements. However, I don't have a source for this (its not mentioned in the one article I have cited previously) so take it or leave it. If anyone can confirm, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
Calico was 19 and a college sophomore. This is uncomfortable to say, but I don't know that a 19 year old would satisfy a pedophile's urge for a child.
Yes, that's the problem I'm getting at. If we assume that the same perp abducted both Henley and Calico, we're talking about someone who likes boys and girls and age doesn't matter. Granted, nothing is impossible, but for a predatory offender of this type, it's odd, especially when coupled with the fact that both were kept alive for so long, and that he felt a need to brag and show off by leaving behind evidence of his crime.

Quote:
That's not to say that abductor couldn't be a pervy rapist, probably is, but it makes me believe the girl in the photo is under 18 since the boy definitely is.
Very hard to say with any degree of certainty. I've read lots of estimates online. Some of the hoax theorists have suggested these two could be brother and sister, or cousins. Again, unfortunately, we just don't know.

Quote:
And here's a mystery within a mystery: why does the girl get far more attention than the boy? Isn't what happened to the boy equally horrific?
I've wondered this myself. My best guess is that the photo was linked to Henley and Calico from the start. However, when Henley was found dead, speculation about him being the boy in the Polaroid ended because either 1. it's not him. 2. it was him and he's dead.

However, Tara's fate is still unknown, and, so far as know, the family continued to promote the theory that it was her in the Polaroid.

I guess what I'm getting at is that a lot of folks still believe the girl in the Polaroid IS Tara Calico. Such speculation will likely continue until her body is found, or someone confesses, or the case is otherwise resolved.

I've seen a lot of different names proposed for the identity of the boy. All are children who were abducted and/or mysteriously disappeared. Unfortunately, none of these cases are too convincing, and I don't think LE has said anything on the matter over the years.

Personally, I think it's the proverbial needle in the haystack. While a lot of people assume these are abducted children, I don't think we can say that with any real certainty. Assuming they aren't abducted, it's going to be a nearly impossible search.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #41
WishfulDreamer

I want to know why the sheriff is so convinced of his theory about the boys harassing her and being responsible. I know he can't name names for legal reasons and lack of evidence, but something must have caused him to become so certain. What was it? Rumors that he tracked down? People who came forward covertly and verified the story? I really wish he could say.
WishfulDreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #42
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I want to know why the sheriff is so convinced of his theory about the boys harassing her and being responsible. I know he can't name names for legal reasons and lack of evidence, but something must have caused him to become so certain. What was it? Rumors that he tracked down? People who came forward covertly and verified the story? I really wish he could say.
He must have gathered some pretty convincing info from interviews if he was able to write out arrest warrants for both boys. But we'll never know the full story. Apparently some people started talking after 2 decades.

If I had to guess, the 1953/54 green Ford pickup truck probably played a major factor in pinpointing on the suspects. Just before going out of sight, multiple witnesses stated they saw the truck following Tara on that highway. One of the witnesses made the remark that the truck was "right on her tail" and would not leave her alone. This was not too far away from where Tara's broken Sony walkman and cassette tapes were eventually discovered as well as tracks on the side of the road where it appeared the bike had been dragged off. Some research into who in the local area would have owned that model of truck at that time could have been traced easily. And if that same person went to school with Tara, I would think that would raise a red flag. Belen only had around 5,000 residents at that time and I doubt many people in 1988 would have been driving a green pickup truck whose model was over 30 years old.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #43
wiseguy182

I read one report that said the picture was lying face down on the pavement. So there are conflicting reports about that. If it was lying face down, that might seem more of an accident than a perp boasting about his crimes.

I think the picture looks more like Borer than Henley or Antreas Cantrell. Have there been any other names mentioned of who it could possibly be? The most striking resemblance between Borer and the boy in the pic is the very light, almost non-existent eyebrows. I'm almost positive it's not Antreas Cantrell, because he had freckles in the nose area and a cleft chin, whereas the boy in the pic does not.

The search for Henley when he was missing was quite large, involving over 400 people. It seems like with that many people, he would have been found if he was in the immediate area. Have to wonder if he wandered off a far distance from where he was last seen.

trivia: Tara was listening to a cassette by the group "Boston", whose corny hit "Amanda" kept my all-time favorite song out of #1. That would be "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" by Robert Palmer. I have never quite forgiven them for that. Popdose has several articles on all the great tracks that peaked at #2 behind crappy #1's. That list is very LONG. It's kind of like America's Funniest Home Videos, where the funniest videos would always get second place behind some "cute", obviously staged or completely unfunny video. Life has a way of doing things like that. The most egregerious example being an episode where the finalists were a hilarious clip involving a flying lawnmower and some idiotic clip of a girl catching a bubble. One guess as to which won.

But I digress.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #44
88keys
Forum Regular

It's pretty hard to prove murder if there is no body. That's probably why he didn't go ahead and arrest them. All they really have is eyewitness accounts that their truck was there. No one saw them hit her, or drag her off, or dispose of her body.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
It's pretty hard to prove murder if there is no body. That's probably why he didn't go ahead and arrest them. All they really have is eyewitness accounts that their truck was there. No one saw them hit her, or drag her off, or dispose of her body.
Again, this was just a theory on my part. Simply a guess and I could be way off. I have no idea what information Rivera gathered, who he talked to, what evidence he collected, what he knows. But whatever information he uncovered, it must be pretty convincing in his eyes if he went through the trouble of writing out arrest warrants for both boys even without a body.

What strikes me is that it appears he's not the only who is convinced as multiple people in that county started talking after being silent for 20 years. I get the impression that like with the attack on Jenny Pratt and to some extent, the murder of Tracy Kirkpatrick, investigators and area residents have long known the people responsible but the only way they'll get punished is with a confession which sadly, is not likely.