Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMind90
One wonders if the hitchhiker wasn't running away from some other crime when Frazier picked him up.
Yeah, that's basically what I thought about whomever killed Dexter Stefonek. I thought he might be a transient criminal who felt he really, really needed use of Dexter's vehicle at that particular time (the reason being, I suppose, he needed to refuel his truck and get out of there). In the same way, it seems Fraser's killer conspired to do likewise: take the car and move. (As well as utilize whatever else Fraser had in his possession at the time.)

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #32
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Yeah, that's basically what I thought about whomever killed Dexter Stefonek. I thought he might be a transient criminal who felt he really, really needed use of Dexter's vehicle at that particular time (the reason being, I suppose, he needed to refuel his truck and get out of there). In the same way, it seems Fraser's killer conspired to do likewise: take the car and move. (As well as utilize whatever else Fraser had in his possession at the time.)
I think Frazier might've accidentally seen something or the hitchhiker let slip something he felt was incriminating to himself (He might've been VERY paranoid, especially if he's on the run for one crime) leading him to kill Frazier.

After all, if he killed Frazier, why not kill the couple he stayed with overnight who not only knew the car he was driving, but got a good look at him and even some information from him?
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
I think Frazier might've accidentally seen something or the hitchhiker let slip something he felt was incriminating to himself (He might've been VERY paranoid, especially if he's on the run for one crime) leading him to kill Frazier.

After all, if he killed Frazier, why not kill the couple he stayed with overnight who not only knew the car he was driving, but got a good look at him and even some information from him?
He also never harmed, nor attempted to harm the first driver that dropped him off at the restaurant.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #34
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
I reckon he either thought he would draw too much attention to himself, held some semblance of gratitude for the Olsons' efforts, or a little bit of both. They towed his car and gave him a place to stay for the night, after all. There was nothing he apparently wanted to take from the Olsons; it seems he just wanted to work on the car and get out of there without drawing any undue attention to himself. And he was actually pretty good at it, in all honesty. I'm sure it didn't register with the Olsons that something was very wrong until they heard news of Fraser's body turning up--and that his story of traveling to Washington state to study medicine matched their visitor's, verbatim. And after he was long, long gone.

He also doesn't appear to be particularly worried with anyone recognizing him. The Frocklages got a good look at the killer as well, and even witnessed him leaving in Fraser's car. It leads me to speculate that he might be one of those criminals that rapidly gains and loses weight in an effort to obscure his identity.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #35
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
One wonders if the hitchhiker wasn't running away from some other crime when Frazier picked him up.
hmm...he might, but the big question we would need answered and the police would have to know is about a crime committed near where the hitchiker was, i tend to think he just killed Fraizer for his money and ID, but no matter what the motive was, it was a crime that didnt have to happen, if the killer let something slip, he didnt have to talk to Phillip in the ride. all he had to do is get his ride and leave, now i still tend to think he did this for money though.
mwcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
lilmissd
Frequent Poster

I wonder if they can trace this guy AS Philip! He stole Philips' wallet, check book, credit cards, and possesions; and I'm as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow that he's been using Philip's identity, and probably here in the US, since it would be easier to do so since it would send up "red flags" in the canadian systems and would be linked much easier to a deceased person there, and probably not in any computer systems here. I'm sure the guy pawned Philip's stuff, got rid of his car and has assumed his identity; maybe even working. You would think a paper trail would show up somewhere wouldn't you? Especially if he has been using Philip's credit cards and bank accounts. This guy is total scum; I hope some day that he's caught and sent up the river!
lilmissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #37
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissd
I wonder if they can trace this guy AS Philip! He stole Philips' wallet, check book, credit cards, and possesions; and I'm as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow that he's been using Philip's identity, and probably here in the US, since it would be easier to do so since it would send up "red flags" in the canadian systems and would be linked much easier to a deceased person there, and probably not in any computer systems here. I'm sure the guy pawned Philip's stuff, got rid of his car and has assumed his identity; maybe even working. You would think a paper trail would show up somewhere wouldn't you? Especially if he has been using Philip's credit cards and bank accounts. This guy is total scum; I hope some day that he's caught and sent up the river!
i think (if he used Philip's ID or stuff now) that he would be caught, i think he did use it for a bit, but now has somehow got a new Identity.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #38
jonlieb
First Time Poster

Default He was my friend!

I new Phillip since the time when we were in Kindergarten together in Anchorage Alaska. He wouldn't hurt a fly, and probably couldn't hurt a fly either as he was very skinny and non athletic type of person. I would also describe him as some what gullible and a person who might be easy to take advantage of.

To answer some of the previous questions I noticed while reading through this post. This tragic event happened way back in 1983, his body was found and it had bullet holes. As far as I know the case has not been solved and after 27 years it might not ever be.

I often think of Phillip. I remember his birthday and I usually do a private message and tribute to him on that day each year.

As far as the scumbag who did this I couldn't think of a punishment despicable enough and I have a pretty good imagination, long and painful would be necessary elements though.
jonlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #39
XiaoGouPi
Frequent Poster

Obviously the burning of the car was to get rid of any evidence that may incriminate him.

However, Dont you guys think that since the hitchiker stayed a night at the folks' home, he would have left some DNA evidence behind, such as his hair, fingerprints, etc.

The investigators could have processed their home and may got a few leads outta this as to who this creepy dude was.

Of course, even if anybody realised this, it would have been too late to do anything about it by now.
XiaoGouPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #40
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoGouPi
Obviously the burning of the car was to get rid of any evidence that may incriminate him.

However, Dont you guys think that since the hitchiker stayed a night at the folks' home, he would have left some DNA evidence behind, such as his hair, fingerprints, etc.

The investigators could have processed their home and may got a few leads outta this as to who this creepy dude was.

Of course, even if anybody realised this, it would have been too late to do anything about it by now.
DNA evidence was by far not as advanced back with this crime occurred as it is today. I doubt investigators took any samples from the couples home. Sadly, I think the only way this case will be solved is by a confession of some sort.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #41
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoGouPi
Obviously the burning of the car was to get rid of any evidence that may incriminate him. However, Dont you guys think that since the hitchiker stayed a night at the folks' home, he would have left some DNA evidence behind, such as his hair, fingerprints, etc. The investigators could have processed their home and may got a few leads outta this as to who this creepy dude was.
sadly, back in that day, dna wasnt as big as it is now and the old folks likely didnt know much about that guy till it was too late too. the hitchiker likely is now either alive and well (or having some type of illness) under a new name or his own name, in jail or dead. i doubt he is using Frazier's identity now.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #42
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
I watched this segment on the forbidden site today. First time I saw this case in over 10 years because I hardly remember seeing it on Lifetime. But it was still as erie as I remember it. What a senseless crime. Pure speculation on what led to the murder of Phillip but I'm guessing the hitchhiker might have wanted a longer ride to wherever the hell he was going and Phillip just wanted to get rid of him. I'm guessing he wasn't killed in the car because the hitchhiker tried to sell it to the couple who picked him up within hours. The killer wouldn't have left evidence like blood in the car before trying to sell it.

I'll bet Phillip was killed in the exact location his body was found. It was remote just off the side of the road. Not much chance for any witnesses to see anything given the location. The hitchhiker probably forced Phillip to pull over and killed him or Phillip might have stopped willingly to stretch his legs and the hitchhiker snuck up behind him and killed him. Maybe Lifetime cut some parts out but the segment never mentioned how Phillip was killed, only that his body was found. Was he shot? Was he beaten to death? It doesn't say.

And what was the point of burning the car? To get rid of any evidence like fingerprints? Why didn't the hitchhiker consider that when he tried to sell the car to the couple?

Sadly, this is one of those cases where it would take a miracle for it to ever be solved.

I can't find anything online in regards to this case either.
You have to figure he wanted to get rid of the car as soon as possible because he didn't know how long it would be before Phillip's body was found and his car would obviously be missing, so the local police and state troopers would be on the lookout for it. According to RCMP officer Craig Gates (in charge of the investigation), Phillip was already reported as a missing person and potentially a homicide victim by the time his car was found (about 36 hours after he was last seen, at the cafe). If the hitchhiker was caught red-handed driving a murder victim's car, BINGO! He is instantly caught and the case quickly solved. For all he knew, Phillip's body was found hours after he drove away from the body dump site (in reality, it was 6 weeks before his body was found even though his car was discovered just 12 hours after the hitchhiker left the Olsens' home). So he has two objectives at this point:

1) Get as far away from the crime scene as possible and as fast as possible, then
2) Get rid of the car as fast as possible

His first idea was to sell it, so he could potentially profit from it and erase his connections to it. Because if he had been able to sell it to the Olsens in the time frame he wanted to, it could have been MONTHS before they realized or were discovered to be in possession of a murder victim's car, because they would have made it their own and within that time, have cleaned the car and wiped away any evidence they didn't know was there. However, that didn't work out, so he needed an alternative way to get rid of the car.

He drives to Prince George, just a 4-5 hour drive away from Kitwanga (where the Olsens lived), since it is the nearest decent-sized town but not necessarily a large or small town (the population in Prince George is about as large as it is in Palm Springs, California), and is a large transportation hub for buses and trains. So he ditches the car at a car wash, then burns the car not necessarily to destroy any evidence, but more likely to distract the authorities in order to buy more time to make his get away. That means he had about 6-7 hours before the car would be found; plenty of time to be halfway to Vancouver, Edmonton, or Calgary by bus or train.

With his strange behavior as speculated by the Frocklages and Olsens, I am suprised the police didn't put out any flyers, APBs, or notices around Prince George to get more information in case anyone within that town remembered coming into contact with a strange, overweight male fitting the hitchhiker's description. They should have especially gone to train stations and bus depots in case any transportation employees came into contact with him.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #43
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
You have to figure he wanted to get rid of the car as soon as possible because he didn't know how long it would be before Phillip's body was found and his car would obviously be missing, so the local police and state troopers would be on the lookout for it.
if i am right, and i know i am not always right, the killer/hitchhiker tried to sell the car to the people who took him in, but was unsuccessful. he tried to get rid of the car and make money off it, but didnt. in the segment, they said he could be using Frazier's name, but when i heard it, i doubted it, if he used it now, he would be caught, he likely used it until he heard of Frazier's death and then changed his name again.
Quote:
His first idea was to sell it, so he could potentially profit from it and erase his connections to it. Because if he had been able to sell it to the Olsens in the time frame he wanted to, it could have been MONTHS before they realized or were discovered to be in possession of a murder victim's car, because they would have made it their own and within that time, have cleaned the car and wiped away any evidence they didn't know was there. However, that didn't work out, so he needed an alternative way to get rid of the car.
I thought SO!!!! yeah, he tried to sell it, but was unsuccessful so he had to get rid of the car, this guy acted like he was part of the criminal world. he knew what to do with the car, either sell it or get rid of it any way you can.
Quote:
He drives to Prince George, just a 4-5 hour drive away from Kitwanga (where the Olsens lived).
in the segment, the car broke down.
Quote:
So he ditches the car at a car wash, then burns the car not necessarily to destroy any evidence, but more likely to distract the authorities in order to buy more time to make his get away. That means he had about 6-7 hours before the car would be found; plenty of time to be halfway to Vancouver, Edmonton, or Calgary by bus or train.
true true, you are good here. i agree. back in that time, DNA wasnt as big, i think he burned it to basically get rid of it and to distract the police to buy time to get away and it worked because has he been caught yet and charged with Fraizer's death?? the answer is no.
Quote:
With his strange behavior as speculated by the Frocklages and Olsens, I am suprised the police didn't put out any flyers, APBs, or notices around Prince George to get more information in case anyone within that town remembered coming into contact with a strange, overweight male fitting the hitchhiker's description. They should have especially gone to train stations and bus depots in case any transportation employees came into contact with him.
how long was it before they discovered the connection with the Frocklages and the Olsen's???? it's likely this guy got out of Prince George quickly and likely wasnt noticed much by the people in town.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
Sketch
Occasional Poster

Does anyone know if the RCMP ever talked to whomever dropped the hitchhiker off at the diner? They didn't go inside, just drove away right? Maybe he did something to disturb them. Maybe they knew him, though I doubt that. I wonder if there was any luck at all tracing the path of the hitchhiker backwards to find any clues.
I also wonder what made them think the hitchhiker was familiar with Toronto and Seattle or if they kept a copy of the composite sketches at any of the border crossings since they did think he was familiar with Seattle. Did he look enough like Fraser to use his I.D.?
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #45
mwcarolina
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch
Does anyone know if the RCMP ever talked to whomever dropped the hitchhiker off at the diner? They didn't go inside, just drove away right? Maybe he did something to disturb them. Maybe they knew him, though I doubt that. I wonder if there was any luck at all tracing the path of the hitchhiker backwards to find any clues.
I also wonder what made them think the hitchhiker was familiar with Toronto and Seattle or if they kept a copy of the composite sketches at any of the border crossings since they did think he was familiar with Seattle. Did he look enough like Fraser to use his I.D.?
he likely used Fraser's credit cards or debit cards (if he had any) and took his money and anything he could sell for money. As for his id, if he used it earlier he would be ok, but it's likely now that the hitchhiker is not using the ID.

As for the police talking with whoever dropped the hitchhiker off, i wonder if the police even knew who the guy who dropped him off was. if they did though, wouldnt they have some info from him that they would put on the segment??? my guess is they dont know who the guy that dropped the hitchhiker off.