Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #121
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
Good points! Yeah, the whole "answering the door at 3am" threw me off too; the poster who said there was a huge neighborhood party going on added more to the mystery. For all we know, the mom wasn't even in the home when the supposed knock on the door happened. Maybe she was still out at the "party."

What I am more perplexed by is the fact that the whole "knock on the door/Uncle Joe" thing was relayed to the LE 5 years after Anthonette vanished. I'm still not convinced that what the sister said is exactly what happened.

I'm leaning towards thinking the mother did not have something to do with the kidnapping, but I also think that the segment (through no fault of its own) probably left out some things that might not put the family in the best of light. I've often read that LE purposely presents a positive image of the family so that the public will be more likely to help and come forward. If we were to hear, for example, that mom was passed out drunk, or that mom frequently had male visitors over all the time, and the girls were used to opening the door for them at all hours of the night, the public might be a little less sympathetic.

I don't know.. This is a true mystery, and I wish we could read the police report to know everything there is to know about this one; something tells me we'd be surprised.
Remember that the whole party is double-hearsay at best, with an anonymous poster saying a friend told him/her about it. The tone of it was more to suggest that the kidnapper could have used the party as cover to escape.

I think the sister's story is the truth as she now remembers it, although I agree 100% that the actual truth of it is incredibly problematic.

Many posters here are accusing the mother. The parents are, of course, always the first suspect. Nothing in the segment indicated that she was a suspect and had not been cleared by LE. While I agree with you that UM does leave things out to make people look better, as I stated before, I can't imagine the mother wasn't investigated and cleared and the various issues brought up here have been resolved. I suppose if LE didn't do its job (which there is no evidence of), she could have been improperly investigated, but I'm certainly not going to assume this.

I agree too that there's likely more to the story which could take everything in a new direction.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #122
egswanso
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeface
The neighborhood party that the friend posted about, could have been at another house in the same neighborhood and perhaps the perps knew the mom was at this party and knew the girls would be home alone. That may have also been why Anthonette answered the door to begin with. She may have thought it was her mom coming back home. It makes sense if you believe that the mother was not home to begin with, which is what I think.
Since we have so little information on the party and even its existence is a question-mark, I don't think we can infer anything about it.

Quote:
It would make no sense for the girls to wake up at 3 am and answer the door if their mother was home. No way. I have a 6 year old and he would not answer the door, let alone hear the knocking at 3 am.
I agree, as do most posters, it seems. This point of the story (if, indeed, it even occurs) needs more context to judge its credibility.

Quote:
This is a very sad case. I do believe the 911 call to be Anthonette. The child's voice sounds authentic. I'm not too sure about the diner sighting however. We all know how unreliable witness's can be. It's hard to tell.
Like I said before, if the 911 call isn't real, it's a good hoax. I can't accept the diner sighting, though.

Quote:
I think that there is a slim chance that Anthonette may still be alive. After all, look at Jaycee Dugard. You can't rule it out entirely.
I don't think anyone is, but Dugard is generally the exception, not the rule. If Anthonette is still alive, I would think it likely she has little memory of being "Anthonette Cayedito"

Quote:
As for the younger sister's account of what happened, why would she make that up is my question? Especially 5 years later. I think she is telling the truth.
I suppose there are three possible answers: (1) She's lying, for unknown (personal) motives; (2) She's been coached to tell the story (which would indicate it was an inside job); or (my belief), (3) she BELIEVES it to be be the truth.

Personally, I believe the last. I don't think Wendy's making it up, per say, but I also don't think it's an accurate account of what happened. Memories just don't work like that; stories don't improve five years after the occurrence, and five years is an awfully long time for any story to become corrupted with false memory, etc. I'm not implying any malice on Wendy's part, but it's just a fact that memories are sharpest right after an event, not years later, especially for a child.

Wendy is active on Facebook. I wonder if anyone's attempted to talk to her about the case recently.
egswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #123
fabgourmet
Frequent Poster

Default Wendy on Facebook

Hi, I'm not on Facebook. Would somebody be willing to contact Wendy and see if she would answer some of our questions or make a posting or something?
fabgourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #124
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Does she go by the last name "Cayedito" as well? Is she married now? I can look her up if I know what the last name is that she currently uses.
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #125
crochetbuff
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W.
Does she go by the last name "Cayedito" as well? Is she married now? I can look her up if I know what the last name is that she currently uses.
Here is a link to a facebook site for Anthonette:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...329&ref=search

Her sister is listed and linked there.
crochetbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #126
remu
First Time Poster

the person who knocked on the door did say it was her uncle joe.
its a very close family so she probably seen no harm in answering the door for him.
if her mom was involved she wouldnt have stayed in contact with the gallup police until the day she died,especially after being cleared for this long, and her sisters wouldnt still be in contact with them to this day.
remu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #127
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by remu
the person who knocked on the door did say it was her uncle joe.
its a very close family so she probably seen no harm in answering the door for him.
if her mom was involved she wouldnt have stayed in contact with the gallup police until the day she died,especially after being cleared for this long, and her sisters wouldnt still be in contact with them to this day.
Hi,

Thanks for posting. Did Penny Cayedito pass away? If so, I'm sorry to hear this.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #128
Shakou
Frequent Poster

Anything is possible, and there may be a good chance she is still alive, but for whatever reason just hasn't contacted anyone. But Anthonette would be in her mid 30's by now if still alive. I really have a hard time believing anyone who's been alive for this long wouldn't of found some way to either escape or contact help. I believe if she wasn't murdered, then she most likely committed suicide.
Shakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #129
UnsolvedMFanatic
Robert Stack's secret Wife
Frequent Poster

Default I've spoken with Wendy

I have spoken with Wendy,the last time being about 6 months ago.
The thing I found odd,was that she stated to me that her sister is more "up to date",on the case,and that they do not really speak. I did not ask her why,it's not my business. But I did find it to be a little odd. Apparently,according to Wendy,there has been no further information about this case,but again she said her sister might know more.
Penny did die,never knowing what happened to Anthonette. How sad.
And no,under no uncertain terms do I think she had ANYTHING to do with it,you can just see it in her eyes during interviews,the pain in her voice. Also,because I took a real interest in this case,I have viewed other news stories and such about Anthonette,and it's just painfully obvious that Penny had nothing to do with it.
Is it possible that there was in fact a rambunctious party that night,that went well into night? Possibly. And perhaps she feels extreme guilt about it,knowing that there was a possibility that that was a factor in her kidnapping? Again,I'd believe that could be the case.
But,that's just me. I do believe that she herself had nothing to do with her daughters disappearance.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #130
MegtheEgg86

Concerning the actual kidnapping story itself, I've grown to think the UM portrayal is a gross deviation from the circumstances of that night. The story that some posters have mentioned about a party going on into the wee hours of the night makes much more sense than two children under the age of ten randomly waking up at 3 AM to answer the door.

However, I'm not incredibly comfortable with Wendy's story either. Maybe it did happen just as she described and I'm completely wrong. But:

1. Why finally bring this up five years later? I used to think that maybe her claims of upsetting her mother more were legitimate, but now I'm not so sure. Something doesn't seem right about it, especially considering this is a child here. Sometimes they say things for reasons beyond adult comprehension.

2. Why didn't Anthonette's abductors either take or silence Wendy? Did they not notice her there? I have a hard time believing she was left completely out of that ordeal.

3. I don't have children and it's been a very, very long time since I've been five years old, but is it a normal reaction for a five year old child to just stand there and remain silent on the issue for five years? It's likely the event was so traumatic it literally stunned her, but I just don't understand why she wouldn't have told her mother the next morning what happened--especially before her mother became upset and starting "crying and everything"--which was the sole reason she gave for not telling her story initially. Wendy apparently had no memory loss, after all.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #131
Gelatinous Goo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
3. I don't have children and it's been a very, very long time since I've been five years old, but is it a normal reaction for a five year old child to just stand there and remain silent on the issue for five years? It's likely the event was so traumatic it literally stunned her, but I just don't understand why she wouldn't have told her mother the next morning what happened--especially before her mother became upset and starting "crying and everything"--which was the sole reason she gave for not telling her story initially. Wendy apparently had no memory loss, after all.
Apparently it's not a unique reaction. Practically the same thing transpired with Elizabeth Smart's sister. Repeatedly questioned about the night her sister disappeared, all she said was that she recognized the voice of the abductor. Then, nearly two years later, she said, "I think it was Emmanuel", singlehandedly providing the missing piece of the puzzle! Perhaps there is a correlation between being young and scared and memory suppression?!
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #132
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo
Apparently it's not a unique reaction. Practically the same thing transpired with Elizabeth Smart's sister. Repeatedly questioned about the night her sister disappeared, all she said was that she recognized the voice of the abductor. Then, nearly two years later, she said, "I think it was Emmanuel", singlehandedly providing the missing piece of the puzzle! Perhaps there is a correlation between being young and scared and memory suppression?!
That's a very good hypothesis. I think it's self-defeating to apply an adult's logic and mind to a child's, so I can definitely accept that possibility. It would explain most of the questions I have about Wendy's story.
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #133
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Concerning the actual kidnapping story itself, I've grown to think the UM portrayal is a gross deviation from the circumstances of that night. The story that some posters have mentioned about a party going on into the wee hours of the night makes much more sense than two children under the age of ten randomly waking up at 3 AM to answer the door.

However, I'm not incredibly comfortable with Wendy's story either. Maybe it did happen just as she described and I'm completely wrong. But:

1. Why finally bring this up five years later? I used to think that maybe her claims of upsetting her mother more were legitimate, but now I'm not so sure. Something doesn't seem right about it, especially considering this is a child here. Sometimes they say things for reasons beyond adult comprehension.

2. Why didn't Anthonette's abductors either take or silence Wendy? Did they not notice her there? I have a hard time believing she was left completely out of that ordeal.

I agree with every question you posed in your post. I also found it odd that two young girls under the age of ten would be answering a knock at 3 in the morning. I also thought it was weird that Wendy witnessed her sister being kidnapped, yet did not make any attempt to wake her parents, nor tell them about it the next morning. That makes me think she was coached somehow. Pure speculation here, but is it possible that someone from inside the house set up a "sale" for Anthonette? If this were an inside job anything could have really happened to her and this story of her abduction could have simply been made up from the fly.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #134
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

Send a message via Yahoo to MariposaLKB

Maybe all it took to silence Wendy was a verbal threat from the kidnapper? You know, such as how kids can be told in situations of abuse, "If you tell your parents I will come back and kill your family!", and that is (understandably, I think) enough to keep them quiet for a long time. But that then begs the question of why she did speak up 5 years later--did she think there was no longer a threat, and why not?
But no one ever listens...

-Butterfly (Mariposa)
MariposaLKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #135
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Personally, I feel Anthonette is still alive somewhere, though she probably has no recollection of "who" she was before her abduction. I've read that statistically in abductions, younger female victims (children) have the highest survival rate, whereas young women (think teens to 30s) have the lowest survival rate.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote